Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Taylor to have a point to prove to them...

A kind of "Here's what you could of won"
  • Options
    Sage said:
    No preview from me this weekend, I am away at the moment, a mini break for a couple of days after my birthday, but will be at The Valley tomorrow. But as always, great preview @ForeverAddickted

Brentford are a very good side, they play 3-4-3 and get the three up top inside supporting Watkins who is their number 9, inside forward type players. Wing-backs push real high so we could hurt them in behind out wide. Can’t wait to see the battle between Taylor and Pontus Jansson. If we had the players available to us, I think we would have matched and went with a back 3 for this, but I can’t see us doing that. Overall, Brentford have got a great recruitment process and are good on the ball, even without scoring really this season. They’ve lost a huge player for them in Maupay, any team is going to struggle when someone who scored 39% of your goals isn’t there anymore.

Williams and Pratley to come into the side for Oztumer and Field, both won’t be able to take starting twice in a matter of days. Sarr probably will keep his place as it being a footballing game, we will want to build from the back, he allows us to do this better than Pearce.

Got to watch out for fatigue levels, especially the young players, Gallagher and Leko. Wouldn’t be surprised to see either player withdrawn early in the second half.

Kayal and Hemed to come in for Lapslie and Bonne on the bench, giving both around 20 minutes, ready for next weekend.

Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Taylor Leko

Amos, Pearce, Field, Kayal, Oztumer, Aneke, Hemed

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Brentford
    Taylor x2
    I really think you are on the money with this team. Just hope we have a bit of a cushion to give us the full opportunity to bring in these players.
  • Options
    Sage said:u
    No preview from me this weekend, I am away at the moment, a mini break for a couple of days after my birthday, but will be at The Valley tomorrow. But as always, great preview @ForeverAddickted

Brentford are a very good side, they play 3-4-3 and get the three up top inside supporting Watkins who is their number 9, inside forward type players. Wing-backs push real high so we could hurt them in behind out wide. Can’t wait to see the battle between Taylor and Pontus Jansson. If we had the players available to us, I think we would have matched and went with a back 3 for this, but I can’t see us doing that. Overall, Brentford have got a great recruitment process and are good on the ball, even without scoring really this season. They’ve lost a huge player for them in Maupay, any team is going to struggle when someone who scored 39% of your goals isn’t there anymore.

Williams and Pratley to come into the side for Oztumer and Field, both won’t be able to take starting twice in a matter of days. Sarr probably will keep his place as it being a footballing game, we will want to build from the back, he allows us to do this better than Pearce.

Got to watch out for fatigue levels, especially the young players, Gallagher and Leko. Wouldn’t be surprised to see either player withdrawn early in the second half.

Kayal and Hemed to come in for Lapslie and Bonne on the bench, giving both around 20 minutes, ready for next weekend.

Phillips
    Pratley
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Taylor Leko

Taylor x2
    That is one hell of a subs bench. Does not even include Solly, Page, Foster-Caskey, Lapslie or Morgan, all decent players.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Pratley
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Taylor Leko

Taylor x2
    Lol great minds and all that... Same team, bench and score prediction.
  • Options
    Was it £11m Brentford got for Konsa, and he’s only making the bench at Villa?
    It’s certainly easier to turn a profit selling players if you’re a Championship club. Premier League teams less likely to take a chance on a League One player. Obviously there are exceptions like Lookman. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Pratley
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Taylor Leko

Taylor x2
    Apologies, I hadn’t seen your post until you have just pointed it out.

The changes I think seem most logical, and the bench does look very strong which is exciting. Even though I’ve done my prediction, I actually have a feeling Pearce will in fact come into the side. We shall see.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Pratley
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Taylor Leko

Taylor x2
    Apologies, I hadn’t seen your post until you have just pointed it out.

The changes I think seem most logical, and the bench does look very strong which is exciting. Even though I’ve done my prediction, I actually have a feeling Pearce will in fact come into the side. We shall see.
    No apologies needed. It was merely a smile raiser. 

Really hope your feeling is wrong as we look so much better in build play with Nabster.
  • Options
    3:0 Charlton. Clinical as Hammurabi
  • Options
    I can't see beyond a 1-5 defeat. Brentford's team of pampered multimillionaires will overwhelm plucky little Charlton after a brave start.
    As the players shake hands before the game, the Brentford players all taunt Lyle with their payslips
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loathe Brentford with their rich owner splashing the cash. Sure they may make profit on transfers but how do they pay high wages on 11k crowds. 1-1 and anorher point is seen as a little bit disappointing.
  • Options
    Too much positivity on here.

We started with 2 wins, followed by 2 draws......so I'm expecting a defeat.

0-2.
  • Options
    Perform like they did at 75%  of how they did against Forest in the first 45 mins on Wednesday for the full 90 minutes today and we win this 3-0. If not I still see a win but 2-1
  • Options
    Perform like they did at 75%  of how they did against Forest in the first 45 mins on Wednesday for the full 90 minutes today and we win this 3-0. If not I still see a win but 2-1
    Todays conditions might play a part, 30c this afternoon. I hope we don't wilt in the second half and let them back in.

A tough 1-0
  • Options
    Todays conditions might play a part, 30c this afternoon. I hope we don't wilt in the second half and let them back in.

A tough 1-0
    It’s more tiring chasing shadows than being the shadow. If we wilt in the second half, so do they.
  • Options
    Whilst the first half against Forest was brilliant, I think the tempo was way to high - we were running near empty towards end of 2nd half, and that let Forest in for an undeserved point (plus putting on 2 subs when we were about to defend a corner)

A little bit of game management is needed to survive a full match - we have the skill, ability, speed and desire to challenge all clubs in this division IMO 

The alternative is to stuff so many goals into the first half, that we can sit back and defend a big lead 2nd half - that however is unrealistic

I'm going for a 2-1 win, but with a hairy last 10 mins if we come out the blocks like we did against Forest
  • Options
    My crazy split personality ?

Said 0-0 on preview the other day, yet put Cafc down as one of my treble wins !

Still feel won't see the highs of the amazing passing of the first half because of heat and game from Wednesday but could grab a 1-0 with goal from an unlikely player ?

Enjoy and support the boys.
  • Options
    It’s 45 years to the day since my first visit to The Valley, my 6th birthday present. We won 2-0 then (vs Hereford) and I predict the same result today.
  • Options
    I can't see beyond a 1-5 defeat. Brentford's team of pampered multimillionaires will overwhelm plucky little Charlton after a brave start.
    As the players shake hands before the game, the Brentford players all taunt Lyle with their payslips
    Lethal responds by singing a Beatles song:

I don't care too much for money
    Money can't buy me love (or goals)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't remember when my first game at Charlton was, but I remember in my first season ticket we smashed Birmingham in the first home game of the season. 3-0 or 3-1.

I remember the atmosphere. The J block being closer to the pitch and back then I thought the stadium was huge.
  • Options
    Once Kayal and Hemed are fit enough to feature for us, the alternatives available from the bench will be full of genuine game changers.

We've moved from the one that featured in our final game of our last season in the Championship:

Mitov, Sarr, Yun Suk-Young, Jackson, Motta, Ba, and Makienok

to one that might look like this:

Amos, Sarr, Kayal, Hemed, Oztumer, Aneke and Bonne

Until I read your post, I had completely forgotten that El Hadj Ba had ever played for us - Christ we have had some old shit since the Rat took charge.

Will never forget Makienok though - had high hopes for him, but looking at his career stats it looks like he has fallen away badly since leaving us.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Once Kayal and Hemed are fit enough to feature for us, the alternatives available from the bench will be full of genuine game changers.

We've moved from the one that featured in our final game of our last season in the Championship:

Mitov, Sarr, Yun Suk-Young, Jackson, Motta, Ba, and Makienok

to one that might look like this:

Amos, Sarr, Kayal, Hemed, Oztumer, Aneke and Bonne

Until I read your post, I had completely forgotten that El Hadj Ba had ever played for us - Christ we have had some old shit since the Rat took charge.

Will never forget Makienok though - had high hopes for him, but looking at his career stats it looks like he has fallen away badly since leaving us.
    Makienok got a knee injury straight after he joined Utrecht and was out for the season

Going by TransferMarkt he came back last season for the first three games and then got another knee problem which again ruled him out for the year

Seems he's been extremely unlucky with injuries the last two years
  • Options
    In todays predicted 30degree temp,the fittest ream will win,that will be us,especially with the quality of midfielders that we can have on the bench.Great atmosphere on wed,Cant think of a better place to be than at the Valley this afternoon.
  • Options
    Missing today. Got a family outing to the theatre for my Dad’s 80th. 
    Hope I can get reception in there!
  • Options
    It’s 45 years to the day since my first visit to The Valley, my 6th birthday present. We won 2-0 then (vs Hereford) and I predict the same result today.
    I remember that game. I think it was the first season my dad bought me a S/T.
    So also one of my first games, in a run of only missing 6 home games in 45 years.
    Did Richie Bowman score ?
  • Options
    I would like us to smash em, just to show Lyle that Bow made the right decision for him...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Lethal responds by singing a Beatles song:

I don't care too much for money
    Money can't buy me love (or goals)
    Let's hope he doesn't sing instead

The best things in life are free
    But you can keep them for the birds and bees
    Now give me money
    (That's what I want)

• Options
    I think we will win, probably 2-1 or 3-1 with no elusive clean sheet

A cautionary note though as I dreamed last night we were given 2 straight red cards. The second happened at 1-1 in injury time when we were hanging on...
  • Options
    Too much positivity on here.

We started with 2 wins, followed by 2 draws......so I'm expecting a defeat.

0-2.
    Gutted I'm missing this one was coming down for my first visit to valley thus season. Thwarted by back problems. Was so looking forward to the atmosphere of a vibrant covered end. Anyone else confused by the feeling of expecting to win games, its just not Charlton. Thanks in advance ross 1 and his updaters. Coyr!