Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen - now a Director

Comments

• Options
    Cheers @stonemuse

i too certainly don’t see it as a negative. I suppose like @Cafc43v3r i just don’t think we are knowing the real reason so that leads to intrigue 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    A lot of people seem to be seeing this as a promotion/ reward. 

Is it? 

I say that openly as I don’t know and have no experience of being a director of a company. But I know with it brings certain responsibilities and duties, along with the importance to exercise independent judgment. 

So will he simply be carrying on with his current remit but have the jazzy title of director?

Does it allow him to sign off of things quickly and not have the rigmarole of delaying process by needing a director Duchatelet/ Murray authority?

Or is his role changing and he will now have a greater input and authority into football strategy, budget allocation etc?

Or something else?

being a director of a company though brings you accountability into its decision making and a responsibility to wider stakeholders. As stated on Company House website:

When making decisions, directors must also consider the likely consequences for various stakeholders, including employees, suppliers, customers and communities. They should also consider the impact on the environment, the reputation of the company, company success in the longer term”
    ****On its face, this is positive but ... I also wonder why it’s happened. 

*****In any event, my gut instinct prompts me to view this as very positive. 

*******Why? I’m not really sure but this just feels right. 
    Exactly why it concerns me. 😉
  • Options
    Cheers @stonemuse

i too certainly don’t see it as a negative. I suppose like @Cafc43v3r i just don’t think we are knowing the real reason so that leads to intrigue 
    Agreed 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This is bonkers.   The appointment. The fact he agreed to it. People's reaction to it. 

Gallen has done a fantastic job, how ever much we are paying him it isn't enough. But isn't "director of football" just a job title?  Ie you don't need to actually be a director? Eg you can have director in your job title without being a "director". 

I also assume he is just a director, not a share holder? 

Doesn't the fact that he is officially a director of a limited company carry a significant legal obligation? 

You can normally resign from a directorship easier than you can from an employment contract, as long as you aren't the last one!

If Rick is right and LVT hasn't been seen since May, which I have no reason to doubt, who has been signing the cheques?  13 odd players don't sign for nothing. 

If its a sign RD is suddenly going to try a massive about turn I would expect another appointment this week ie a "director of non-football", ceo, chief executive, chairman or what ever title they get. 

This is, imo, significant, but I have no idea why.  Why Roland would do it nor why Gallen would agree to it? 

If its a way of showing appreciation to Gallen there are other, better, ways of doing it.   If it's away of making sure he doesn't leave, there are other, better ways of doing it.   I would be shocked if Gallen asked for it.  Does it "add value" to the club, not really. 

There is an angle to this, from Roland, and it pisses me off I can't see what it is. 

As I said it begs a number of questions.

But nowhere does it say he's "director of football".

No one needs to sign cheques in the UK to sign players.

Chris Parkes, as club secretary, signs transfer forms.  LDT is still with the club, as it stands, but notin England.

But it's a mystery why SG is a director but LDT is not.

SGs span of control is also unclear. Is he now Bowyer's boss?

I agree that the reasoning behind this is unclear but that's hardly new under Duchatelet.

He's irrational.
  • Options
    Duchatelet has already asked him to take a haircut on the score Gallen lent him last time he was over.
  • Options

Is it? 

I say that openly as I don’t know and have no experience of being a director of a company. But I know with it brings certain responsibilities and duties, along with the importance to exercise independent judgment. 

So will he simply be carrying on with his current remit but have the jazzy title of director?

Does it allow him to sign off of things quickly and not have the rigmarole of delaying process by needing a director Duchatelet/ Murray authority?

Or is his role changing and he will now have a greater input and authority into football strategy, budget allocation etc?

Or something else?

being a director of a company though brings you accountability into its decision making and a responsibility to wider stakeholders. As stated on Company House website:

When making decisions, directors must also consider the likely consequences for various stakeholders, including employees, suppliers, customers and communities. They should also consider the impact on the environment, the reputation of the company, company success in the longer term”
    Sorry, I didn't see/read your post before posting. 

As far as I am aware nothing in football (the playing side) requires "a directors sign off", just an approved "officer".  Even cheque signing can be delegated. 

As I suggested in my, all be it more rambling, post there are ways of doing all the positive things (remunciation, golden hand cuffs, influence, thank yous etc) with out the burden of the legal obligations of directorship. Or does the burden of directorship reduce as he isn't, yet, a director of the benifical owner?  God knows. 

May we live in intresting times! 

• Options
    I was delighted when I saw the news as it is recognition for the great work Gallen has done.

Much better than a parachuted-in CEO.

Probably helps to ensure we comply with EFL rules of governance.

Stlll doesn't sell the club.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I think this is all very simple really. As a UK company, CAFC have to a have a director responsible for running the company. They don’t have a CEO or CFO. Duchatelet and Murray are non-executive directors so it makes sense to promote SG to run the show whilst everything’s in Limbo. Anyway, that’s what I think ...
    How can RD be, as in effect the sole owner, be a non-executive director? Serious question. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    I think this is all very simple really. As a UK company, CAFC have to a have a director responsible for running the company. They don’t have a CEO or CFO. Duchatelet and Murray are non-executive directors so it makes sense to promote SG to run the show whilst everything’s in Limbo. Anyway, that’s what I think ...
    How can RD be, as in effect the sole owner, be a non-executive director? Serious question. 
    He’s not an employee, he’s a shareholder
  • Options
    Just need a properly qualified and experienced CEO to run the business side of the club and we’ll look like a proper football club again. 
    With the Belgian in the background waiting to f*** things up in a split second.

Hands up anybody who thinks long term we'll be better off with him still running the show?

Gallen has done a cracking job having said all that.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    In effect the only share holder, so how can he be a non-executive director. Serious question. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    In effect the only share holder, so how can he be a non-executive director. Serious question. 
    An executive director is a member of the board of a Company who also has management responsibilities. A non-executive director is a board member without responsibilities for daily management or operations of the company or organisation.

Perhaps @Grapevine49 can give you a more comprehensive answer. This is the limit of my knowledge
  • Options
    Does it mean that SG now has the authority to give LB and Lyle new extended contracts??
  • Options
    Does it mean that SG now has the authority to give LB and Lyle new extended contracts??
    Depends on his delegated powers
  • Options

Is it? 

Or something else?

When making decisions, directors must also consider the likely consequences for various stakeholders, including employees, suppliers, customers and communities. They should also consider the impact on the environment, the reputation of the company, company success in the longer term
      Good find. I'm guessing Richard Murray has never read it.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I find the reaction to this very interesting, nearer Luke warm than jubilation. Roland may be a dick but he can still make a good decision. Anything that has chance of making Gallen stay/have a greater influence can only be a good thing. The problem is being bitten 20 times by Roland has made everyone wary.

In the years after Roland the importance of Gallen and Bowyer will probably be remembered like Curbishley and Varney. Bowyer may have started the revolution on the pitch, Gallen made sure it didn't fail from lack of support off of it. The man stepped up when we needed someone to.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    Most directors are also employees and paid a salary for the work as an employee. They simply acquire more legal responsibilities for the company’s actions by being also a director.

A non-executive director is independent and not an employee and paid a fee. Non Execs normally only relevant for public quoted companies to provide oversight for external investors/shareholders where employee directors can be conflicted looking after their own interests.

RD doesn’t need a non exec because he can look after his own interests by being fully in control.

You don’t acquire shares because you are a director and unlikely to get your hands on shares that belong to the owner(s) of a private company, it’s their personal wealth.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    Most directors are also employees and paid a salary for the work as an employee. They simply acquire more legal responsibilities for the company’s actions by being also a director.

A non-executive director is independent and not an employee and paid a fee. Non Execs normally only relevant for public quoted companies to provide oversight for external investors/shareholders where employee directors can be conflicted looking after their own interests.

RD doesn’t need a non exec because he can look after his own interests by being fully in control.

You don’t acquire shares because you are a director and unlikely to get your hands on shares that belong to the owner(s) of a private company, it’s their personal wealth.
    Yes I know, most of, all of that.  Unless I red it wrong @_MrDick said, or implied, RD was a non-executive director?

As the sole share holder he can't be can he? He has to be an executive director, by definition? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:
    If only he has more experience :)

Head of Recruitment: Steve Gallen 

Coaching experience: 20 years

Coaching qualification: UEFA Pro Licence 

Possessing over two decades of coaching and scouting experience at both academy and senior level, Steve Gallen joined the Addicks as Head of Recruitment in May 2017. 

Beginning his coaching career in 1997, Gallen quickly became a vital member of staff within Queens Park Rangers’ youth set-up. 

He oversaw the development of the club’s U12s, U16s and U18s – where he worked closely with England international Raheem Sterling – before being appointed as Rangers’ Head of Youth Development. 

He would also coach the club’s U21s and, under Gallen, QPR’s academy won five items of silverware, including the Professional Development League 2 title in 2013 and the FL Youth Alliance League in 2011 and 2012. 

A UEFA Pro Licensed Coach, Gallen was appointed as Rangers’ first-team coach in 2015. He departed them following 19 years of service a year later and went on to continue developing his experience in the scouting side of the game. 

Gallen is the middle-aged of three footballing brothers. Eldest sibling Joe worked as assistant manager to Kenny Jackett at both Millwall and Wolverhampton Wanderers, while younger brother Kevin is QPR’s sixth highest goalscorer, having hit 104 goals for the club between 1994 and 2007. 

Can you compare that to Driesen for us please?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Rudders22 said:
    If only he has more experience :)

Head of Recruitment: Steve Gallen 

Coaching experience: 20 years

Coaching qualification: UEFA Pro Licence 

Possessing over two decades of coaching and scouting experience at both academy and senior level, Steve Gallen joined the Addicks as Head of Recruitment in May 2017. 

Beginning his coaching career in 1997, Gallen quickly became a vital member of staff within Queens Park Rangers’ youth set-up. 

He oversaw the development of the club’s U12s, U16s and U18s – where he worked closely with England international Raheem Sterling – before being appointed as Rangers’ Head of Youth Development. 

He would also coach the club’s U21s and, under Gallen, QPR’s academy won five items of silverware, including the Professional Development League 2 title in 2013 and the FL Youth Alliance League in 2011 and 2012. 

A UEFA Pro Licensed Coach, Gallen was appointed as Rangers’ first-team coach in 2015. He departed them following 19 years of service a year later and went on to continue developing his experience in the scouting side of the game. 

Gallen is the middle-aged of three footballing brothers. Eldest sibling Joe worked as assistant manager to Kenny Jackett at both Millwall and Wolverhampton Wanderers, while younger brother Kevin is QPR’s sixth highest goalscorer, having hit 104 goals for the club between 1994 and 2007. 

Can you compare that to Driesen for us please?
    I will just ask him. 
  • Options
    Congratulations to Steve, well deserved and one of a very few positive things to come out of Duchâtelet’s tenure. Maybe he has now seen the light? One can only hope. A three year contract for Bows now please. 
  • Options
    I worked in an industry where a managerial promotion invariably meant that skills were lost (from engineering to admin).  More worryingly this also happened whilst I was in hospital.  The hugely respected Matron spent two weeks 'acting' on the grade above signing off time sheets (her words). 

Hope Gallen's promotion doesn't affect the role to which he has brought so much.. 
  • Options
    Congratulations! First order - Sack Driesen.
  • Options
    Who are the other Directors?
  • Options
    I was delighted when I saw the news as it is recognition for the great work Gallen has done.

Much better than a parachuted-in CEO.

Probably helps to ensure we comply with EFL rules of governance.

Stlll doesn't sell the club.
    But what recognition?  As Director he just has legal obligations; if it does not come with a pay rise I am not sure of what the benefit to Gallen is?

As a left field conspiracy theory, how about if RD has offered Gallen and Bowyer a small % ownership/partial management buy out - say a couple of % each if we get to the PL.  that would keep them sticky to the club and focus their minds whilst meaning RD has to pay out nothing now and this is the first step towards formalising the agreement?  Unlikely but thought i would lob it out there.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:

Yes I know, most of, all of that.  Unless I red it wrong @_MrDick said, or implied, RD was a non-executive director?

As the sole share holder he can't be can he? He has to be an executive director, by definition? 
    If RD is involved in running the club, which he obviously is, he can’t be classed as a non exec.