Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Gallen - now a Director

Comments

• Who are the other Directors?
    Nobby Vinegar and Karel Freye.
  • RD is a rule unto himself.  Owners don't have to be directors at all IE Kevin Cash.

I was delighted when I saw the news as it is recognition for the great work Gallen has done.

Much better than a parachuted-in CEO.

Probably helps to ensure we comply with EFL rules of governance.

Stlll doesn't sell the club.
    But what recognition?  As Director he just has legal obligations; if it does not come with a pay rise I am not sure of what the benefit to Gallen is?

As a left field conspiracy theory, how about if RD has offered Gallen and Bowyer a small % ownership/partial management buy out - say a couple of % each if we get to the PL.  that would keep them sticky to the club and focus their minds whilst meaning RD has to pay out nothing now and this is the first step towards formalising the agreement?  Unlikely but thought i would lob it out there.
    I think you're reading too much into it.

I think it more likely RD fancies a more European model with a form of director of football and a general manager.

As for Gallen his new title gives him more status when negotiating with other clubs, agents, players, etc.

English clubs wouldn't expect to do deals with a scout.

But as ever with Duchatelet communication is poor and governance unclear.
  • TELTEL
    edited September 2019
    I think Steve may well have been doing an awful lot more in the background than just being head of recruitment, so maybe this is a promotion and more suited to the overall input he is having within the club. I see this as a massive positive. edited for the pedants....whats a capital M between friends?
  • TEL said:
    I think Steve May well have been doing an awful lot more in the background than just being head of recruitment, so maybe this is a promotion and more suited to the overall input he is having within the club. I see this as a massive positive. 
    Who is Steve May ?
  • TEL said:
    I think Steve May well have been doing an awful lot more in the background than just being head of recruitment, so maybe this is a promotion and more suited to the overall input he is having within the club. I see this as a massive positive. 
    Who is Steve May ?
    Our new signing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_May
  • Scoham said:
    TEL said:
    Who is Steve May ?
    Our new signing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_May
    Its good to know there are other sad bastards like me, out there, who googled Steve May ! 
  • A respected member of this forum was a Director of the Club.

What did he bring to the party?
  • Addickted said:
    A respected member of this forum was a Director of the Club.

Sod all

And I think "respected" is pushing it.

But at least he passed the fit and proper test.
  • Addickted said:

What was his exit plan?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    Addickted said:

Cardigans
  • Addickted said:
    I wasn't talking about you - hence the 'respected' bit.
    Exactly
  • Addickted said:

4 cans of cheap bitter 
  • Excellent squad of players,superb management team 18000 crowds,now a football man on the board,not going to lose millions this season unlike most of the other clubs.Just need to get a few contract extensions done,and I really feel we are in a strong position to move forward.I could be wrong, but somewhere along the way,RD has seen the light and probably realises what a potentially great asset he owns.We will see.
  • I don't think Roland is going to sell. 

Yes he might be crazy and you never know what will happen next, but it could be possible with the team doing so well, with the job Gallen, LB, JJ and the rest of the staff have done RD could be thinking : Premier league, millions.

And although we will NEVER forgive him for the past. Prehaps after four years he has come up with a winning formula

Yes we will operate generally on a limited budget, no we will not make a £2.5m signing. But with loans, and the experience we now have with the staff, Roland like us may well believe he is onto something good. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Rudders22 said:
    If only he has more experience :)

Head of Recruitment: Steve Gallen 

Coaching experience: 20 years

Coaching qualification: UEFA Pro Licence 

Possessing over two decades of coaching and scouting experience at both academy and senior level, Steve Gallen joined the Addicks as Head of Recruitment in May 2017. 

Beginning his coaching career in 1997, Gallen quickly became a vital member of staff within Queens Park Rangers’ youth set-up. 

He oversaw the development of the club’s U12s, U16s and U18s – where he worked closely with England international Raheem Sterling – before being appointed as Rangers’ Head of Youth Development. 

He would also coach the club’s U21s and, under Gallen, QPR’s academy won five items of silverware, including the Professional Development League 2 title in 2013 and the FL Youth Alliance League in 2011 and 2012. 

A UEFA Pro Licensed Coach, Gallen was appointed as Rangers’ first-team coach in 2015. He departed them following 19 years of service a year later and went on to continue developing his experience in the scouting side of the game. 

Gallen is the middle-aged of three footballing brothers. Eldest sibling Joe worked as assistant manager to Kenny Jackett at both Millwall and Wolverhampton Wanderers, while younger brother Kevin is QPR’s sixth highest goalscorer, having hit 104 goals for the club between 1994 and 2007. 

Can you compare that to Driesen for us please?
    Fifa 19 level 4 
  • I don't think Roland is going to sell. 

Prehaps after four years he has come up with a winning formula

Same "formula" that was in place before he bought the club and which is used by 99% of football clubs ie appoint a manager and other staff who know what they are doing and let them get on with it.

Fluking a very good manager after years of failure and deliberate mistakes is NOT a winning formula.

Never forget he sacked Bowyer in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    I think Roland has been incredibly lucky. It seems Robinson was the person responsible for us having both Gallen and Bowyer. Then Roland being a tight cnut meant they got a go at it. Who knows what that mad yellow toothed wanker is now thinking, but it can't have escaped him that there is a possibility of a top six finish. To get some idea of his mindset might be, we can cast our minds back to earlier seasons in the Championship, when the stated position was to review where we were in January! 
  • While I admit to not working out the crowds to the nearest decimal point,18000 is near enough for us less than gifted mathematicians.If I want to consider an air of normality around the club I will do so.Abnormality is when clubs spend 60 million on wages a year which they dont have,which is how Bolton got 168 million in debt.It might be as well to consider the ramifications of the likes of Derby,Stoke,Huddersfield etc,all who have massive wage bills,if they dont get back to the promised land.
  • Stoke 17, 848
    Forest 17, 204
    Brentford 16,771

So @thickandthin63 not one gate over 18,000

If you are going to claim everything is fine based on gates don't then hide behind "I admit to not working out the crowds to the nearest decimal point,18000 is near enough for us less than gifted mathematicians." when it's pointed out correctly that you are not only wrong but not even close.
  • This appointment will enable him to have more clout in the dealings of transfers and salaries. Good appointment. 
  • Addickted said:

Sod all

And I think "respected" is pushing it.

But at least he passed the fit and proper test.
    Does that mean you can walk up Charlton Church Lane without stopping? ;)
  • This appointment will enable him to have more clout in the dealings of transfers and salaries. Good appointment. 
    “Should enable” Roland will allow what Roland will allow. But as you say, good appointment. 
  • That equates to an average of 17273,not to far away,with Birmingham and Leeds to come,it will soon be over 18000.It only needs 18000 Birmingham,20000 for Leeds easily acheivable with the present level of playing success and the increasing enthusiasm of the home support.
  • Quick flick through posts so apols if this has been said. If LVT no longer doing 2 days a week here then RD saves cost of this to his cafc backpocket. He gives a small increase to SG. He has probably trousered a few quid and SG fronts fans forums etc. Which gives us a problem because we love the fella. Alternatively RD operating for the best for the club and looking after his staff. Hmmmmm which one might it be?