Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v Charlton | Sat 21 Sept | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Some advice on the game of football: 1. It's a team game, so it's good to pass the ball. Do try to remember though that not everyone is in your team. The opposition, their trainer, ball boys and St John's ambulance volunteers, don't play for Charlton so don't pass to them. 2. If you're not sure of your short passing options, a workable alternative may be to miss out the midfield and hoof long balls up the pitch. For this to work you should aim the ball at someone who is good enough to score on their own or hold the ball up for others. 3. Those players in blue hanging around in your box might get lonely. If you spot one, try standing next to him. 4. When they place the ball in the corner, take that as a sign they are going to cross the ball in an attempt to score. Don't stand rooted to the spot, try to get to the ball before they do. 5. At the other end of the pitch behind the man in the green jersey is a contraption called a goal. When you have a shot, it's so much more satisfying if you aim at this.
    I like this post.  A bit of levity is what I need right now.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Must've been very bad then seeing as we got smashed 3-0 at MK Dons in the cup last season.

I definitely prefer Bow's crewnecks to Parkinson's v-necks.
    Bowyer normally wears v necks thought. I was disappointed not to find his normal snazzy one in thé club shop. I think hé needs to go back to this sweater - this is why we lost today. It's so obvious - all fans know that what you wear affects résults.
  • Options
    This is where bowyer pushes his boundaries and succeeds. Come on Lee.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Who was it who said, "Don't let the highs get too high. Or the lows too low"......?

My dealer 
    Heather O'Reilly's your dealer? 🤔
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    Reminds me a bit of our first Premiership season. Great start, ran into an ordinary but streetwise Derby team and lost 0-1 at home, went on a run of defeats.

Powell's first Championship team also went on a poor run but finished 9th.

I think Bowyer has the right attitude, and won't allow the players to get too low after a couple of defeats.  It's an unforgiving game if you can't take your chances, but these are still the same players who started so well. Taylor will be a miss, of course, but we do have other players capable. I think we'll be OK. 
    We lost to Derby 2-1
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    rikofold said:
    Reminds me a bit of our first Premiership season. Great start, ran into an ordinary but streetwise Derby team and lost 0-1 at home, went on a run of defeats.

Powell's first Championship team also went on a poor run but finished 9th.

I think Bowyer has the right attitude, and won't allow the players to get too low after a couple of defeats.  It's an unforgiving game if you can't take your chances, but these are still the same players who started so well. Taylor will be a miss, of course, but we do have other players capable. I think we'll be OK. 
    We lost to Derby 2-1
    Was that the game when Popey let one through his legs?
  • Options
    Did we look remotely like scoring?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Who was it who said, "Don't let the highs get too high. Or the lows too low"......?

was it Bruce Forsyth ?
  • Options
    Can someone who was there tell me who actually got booked?

Commentator on Valley pass said Hemed, OS says Lockyer and Sky Sports & the BBC say Oshilaja!
  • Options
    Poor is generous but proper giggle of a day out.
    Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the game. 
    First chance to see us this season, so effin typical it’s when it’s the worst performance. 
    There was a lot of vitriol from around me aimed at Hemed which I felt was unfair. I didn’t think his work rate was that bad. The supply to him was woeful. I thought Gallagher tried to be too clever at times; too many cute dinks and flicks. Williams was muscled out constantly and, as LB has said, there weren’t many passes strung together. 
    Thought Pratley should have been sent off. When your captain behaves like that it’s unacceptable. Ok, he got away with it and that should have spurred everyone on.
    We only really got going when Aneke came on. I think he’s done enough to start. Would Taylor have made a difference today? I’d have thought there’d have been the bit more guile needed. 
    Lockyer stood out of a mostly bad bunch and should have scored had he showed some composure. 
    Overall, disappointing - but it’s still a work in progress and 14 points is a great foundation from the first 8. 
  • Options

Commentator on Valley pass said Hemed, OS says Lockyer and Sky Sports & the BBC say Oshilaja!
    100% Oshilaja
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

100% Oshilaja
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Did we look remotely like scoring?
    Last five minutes we were a bit unlucky. Game was well and truly over by then, however. 
  • Options

Pretty sure it was Oshilaja.
  • Options
    Shocking at set pieces. Sarr especially. 
  • Options
    For me leko aint the answer
  • Options
    I do hope Hemed and Kayal don’t turn out to be busted flushes. Way to early to judge I know but I have a growing funny feeling in my water.......
  • Options

I thought it was Lockyer, but it was down the other end!
  • Options
    Stinking pile of shite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I f@cking love awaydays
  • Options
    Totally outplayed in every area of the pitch by one of our relegation rivals. They had a better defence, better midfield and better attack. If Pearce and Solly were fit enough to be on the bench then they also had the better manager on the day. 
    Great day,lovely people, pubs and beer in Wigan, just spoilt by a game of football. 

good points; ........ johnny williams managed to pass the ball to a red shirt once in the second half.......Aneke looked promising when he came on
    bad points........ Leko (wtf) williams (what's the point on days like this) 

But the biggest worry is teams have worked us out. Press us hard and we can't cope. 
  • Options
    Awful, absolutely awful. That’s the worse display I have seen for a charlton team for a long team and agree with Lee. 
    I do believe he is at fault though (sorry) as he could if shifted us to a more conventional 442 when they started pissing all over us from the start.

• Options
    redman said:
    Totally outplayed in every area of the pitch by one of our relegation rivals. They had a better defence, better midfield and better attack. If Pearce and Solly were fit enough to be on the bench then they also had the better manager on the day. 
    Great day,lovely people, pubs and beer in Wigan, just spoilt by a game of football. 

good points; ........ johnny williams managed to pass the ball to a red shirt once in the second half.......Aneke looked promising when he came on
    bad points........ Leko (wtf) williams (what's the point on days like this) 

But the biggest worry is teams have worked us out. Press us hard and we can't cope. 
    Nice to meet you and your wife on the Victoria to Bromley south train
  • Options
    Just got home.

No way that Naby Sarr should be starting games at this level. Just when I thought finally Bowyer was about to take him off he instead took off Pratley, whilst making Sarr captain and putting him on free kicks!

You wouldn’t have even known Tomer Hemed was playing until he was subbed off. Somehow even more anonymous than he was last week. 

I dont see the fuss about Leko and never really have, Aneke is a much safer option and should be starting. 

Wigan is a decent town with some nice pubs, but my god is that stadium bland.
  • Options
    Shocking at set pieces. Sarr especially. 
    Have been for some time......probably since Holmes left. Only 2 I can think of are from Sarr at Wimbledon & Taylor at home. As for our corners......???  They scored both theirs from corners today & apart from Taylor's flick from Pearce at Blackburn I'm struggling to think if anything meaningful from a corner this season. 

We are woeful from dead balls. Last years "amazing" stats we obscured by all the penalties we scored from. Cullen keeps taking our set pieces & time & again they are either overhit or don't clear the first defender. 

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I agree with Bowyer. That was the worst performance under his leadership but only just.  We conceded two goals from corners, were bossed all over the pitch, were too slow and ponderous in the ball and worst of all, did not create a clear chance for 90 minutes.

Didn't see the Reading game but Wigan was only a slightly worse version of Brentford and Birmingham. 

If we get tonked by Leeds, this could look to start like a very long season.
  • Options
    I agree with Bowyer. That was the worst performance under his leadership. Conceded two goals from corners, were bossed all over the pitch, too slow and ponderous in the ball and worst of all, did not create a clear chance for 90 minutes.

No need to panic yet but by my counting we have not created more than 4-5 decent chances in the last 270 minutes of football and scored once.

If we get tonked by Leeds, this could look to start like a very long season.
    (Watched on stream.)

Don’t agree that we didn’t create a clear cut chance for 90 mins. Gallagher goal bound shot blocked. Marshall’s close range wonder save. Two or three good chances for Lockyer. 

It wasn't a great performance though, and Wigan smothered us all too easily in midfield. Certainly no need to panic though. 

Positives? Chuks looked good again, and I think he may start v. Leeds. Phillips’ distribution wasn’t bad. And we kept fighting til the final whistle. 

Negatives:
    Hemed. Still doesn’t look fit, and struggled to make an impression on the game.  Need him to improve. And Kayal? Not sure if he was injured, but the recruitment team must have hoped that he and Hamed would have brought more to the table by now. 
    Curren needs to work on his dead free kicks and corners. Oztumer may be better in that department. 
    What happens over the next three weeks will be a good test for Bowyer though, and a big performance against Leeds would settle the nerves. 

• Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2019
    Lyle Taylor’s injury timing was not good as it is apparent that Hemed is not currently up to speed. It may take a few more weeks. Following Lyle Taylor whilst not totally match fit / in best of form must be a very difficult thing. The last 2 games does brutally expose / emphasise the importance of giving Lyle Taylor a decent contract offer. 

In the Championships you need 2 top quality strikers, it remains to be seen whether Hemed is one of those. I am hoping that Charlton supporters can accept the possibility that he may be good enough, & that Hemed’s confidence doesn’t take too much of a battering whilst he gets there. Hopefully he will, but will have to demonstrate positive attitude, effort & desire in training & matches, & on & off the pitch. 

Lee Bowyer & the coaching staff are good at getting the best out of players. Let’s hope that they manage that with Hemed. Hoping the team can pull some surprises in the next few weeks. October is looking tough, particularly without Lyle Taylor. Charlton are going to need a lot of positive support.