Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v Charlton | Sat 21 Sept | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Not sure if others noticed but when he was subbed on the hour Hemed left the pitch In accordance with the new rule at the nearest point near the six yard box shaking his head as if not totally happy with being subbed. He acknowledgingly clapped the fans and to be fair to him Leko and a couple of others could quite easily have been hooked.
  • Options
    shows what a talisman like lyle can be for a club with little resources in a league where we are very much the underdogs. 

Hemed or any of the forwards are not going to be as influential as lyle. not just because of the goals but also the ability that lyle has by causing havoc across the whole of the defensive line. so many times taylor gets down the wing so he can collect the ball and cross it hard and low for an incoming midfielder or strike partner. Hemed doesn't have the pace or sharpness to do this. someone like leko could do it but rarely seems to.

i actually would play Lapslie on the wing as we dont have any other winger. not because i believe he can get passed his man but because he will take orders from bowyer to do his best to whip the ball in as often as possible and as quick as possible to hopefully create chances. i'm not expecting every ball will find a charlton player but at least there is more chance to create something rather than hanging onto the ball like leko does before losing it. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Did we look remotely like scoring?
    Not before Aneke and Bonne came on.
    We were very poor 1st half but 4 chances 2nd half. Both teams should've had penalities when the ball hit Lockyer's hand and when the Wigan defender tried to rip Sarr's shirt off. 
    Hemed just isn't mobile enough but it looks worse in comparison to Lyle. Leko did good and bad crosses.
    The stats don't look good when Taylor is at home on his sofa. This could be a long 8 weeks. 
    The championship honeymoon is over. 

Some of our flakey supporters will show that their critics not fans. Anyone can cheer a winning side but good that the majority yesterday clapped the players despite a terrible 1st half and a lack of composure with at least 4 chances in the 2nd half.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Lyle Taylor’s injury timing was not good as it is apparent that Hemed is not currently up to speed. It may take a few more weeks. Following Lyle Taylor whilst not totally match fit / in best of form must be a very difficult thing. The last 2 games does brutally expose / emphasise the importance of giving Lyle Taylor a decent contract offer. 

In the Championships you need 2 top quality strikers, it remains to be seen whether Hemed is one of those. I am hoping that Charlton supporters can accept the possibility that he may be good enough, & that Hemed’s confidence doesn’t take too much of a battering whilst he gets there. Hopefully he will, but will have to demonstrate positive attitude, effort & desire in training & matches, & on & off the pitch. 

Lee Bowyer & the coaching staff are good at getting the best out of players. Let’s hope that they manage that with Hemed. Hoping the team can pull some surprises in the next few weeks. October is looking tough, particularly without Lyle Taylor. Charlton are going to need a lot of positive support. 
    Personally I think Hemed definitely is a good champ striker but he’s woefully short of match sharpness and fitness. Like you say, timing was unfortunate. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    rikofold said:
    Reminds me a bit of our first Premiership season. Great start, ran into an ordinary but streetwise Derby team and lost 0-1 at home, went on a run of defeats.

Powell's first Championship team also went on a poor run but finished 9th.

I think Bowyer has the right attitude, and won't allow the players to get too low after a couple of defeats.  It's an unforgiving game if you can't take your chances, but these are still the same players who started so well. Taylor will be a miss, of course, but we do have other players capable. I think we'll be OK. 
    We lost to Derby 2-1
    Was that the game when Popey let one through his legs?
    No he's talking about the 98/99 season in the Premier League when we lost 2-1 to Derby

Pope's error was the game when Tucudean showed his ability - We were 3-1 up and Pope let the ball through his legs to setup a nervy finish
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    RedChaser said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    rikofold said:
    Reminds me a bit of our first Premiership season. Great start, ran into an ordinary but streetwise Derby team and lost 0-1 at home, went on a run of defeats.

Powell's first Championship team also went on a poor run but finished 9th.

I think Bowyer has the right attitude, and won't allow the players to get too low after a couple of defeats.  It's an unforgiving game if you can't take your chances, but these are still the same players who started so well. Taylor will be a miss, of course, but we do have other players capable. I think we'll be OK. 
    We lost to Derby 2-1
    Was that the game when Popey let one through his legs?
    No he's talking about the 98/99 season in the Premier League when we lost 2-1 to Derby

Pope's error was the game when Tucudean showed his ability - We were 3-1 up and Pope let the ball through his legs to setup a nervy finish
    Cheers. of course. I didn't read it properly the Pope gaf was in the Championship. 
  • Options
    No reality check. We all knew it wouldn't go on forever. Big challenge next Saturday, that'll be a real sign of where we are
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Did we look remotely like scoring?
    Not before Aneke and Bonne came on.
    We were very poor 1st half but 4 chances 2nd half. Both teams should've had penalities when the ball hit Lockyer's hand and when the Wigan defender tried to rip Sarr's shirt off. 
    Hemed just isn't mobile enough but it looks worse in comparison to Lyle. Leko did good and bad crosses.
    The stats don't look good when Taylor is at home on his sofa. This could be a long 8 weeks. 
    The championship honeymoon is over. 

Some of our flakey supporters will show that their critics not fans. Anyone can cheer a winning side but good that the majority yesterday clapped the players despite a terrible 1st half and a lack of composure with at least 4 chances in the 2nd half.
    8 weeks? Is that the latest confirmed? I am worried at our ability scoring goals without Talyor but hopefully midfield can help out and chip in with a couple of goals at least. Our midfield did not work yesterday and doubt it would against Leeds or Swansea we need to actually create chances . 
  • Options
    My interpretation of Hemed shaking his head when subbed was because he knew his own performance wasn't quite up to speed. I watched him closely and thought he used his strength and experience well on occasion just not enough yet. Let's give him time - he is a proven Champ striker, after all!
    I thought he had very poor service as well.
    As an aside, he went off in keeping with the new rules but none of the Wigan players did and the ref did nothing.
    One of their players at the double sub did but the rest didn't. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Not sure where your problems on the M6 were @Fanny Fanackapan but if around Birmingham, the next time you venture up to the North West my best local advice would be M1 Junction 24 then A50 (all dual carriageway) to Stoke and pick up the M6 at Junctions 15 or 16.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Not sure where your problems on the M6 were @Fanny Fanackapan but if around Birmingham, the next time you venture up to the North West my local advice would be M1 then A50 (all dual carriageway) to Stoke and pick up the M6 at Junctions 15 or 16.
    Indeed, @RedChaser. Thanks.

( You're still on my Xmas card list ...)
  • Options
    On personal reflection, we played poorly especially 1st half Bowyer is right.
    That said thinking back, they did not really create anything from open play, arguably we made more. Which considering the performance itself I don't think is that bad
    If we can remain solid defensively the next few games and not leak points I will be perfectly happy. 
  • Options
    This site would be much the worse without the considered post match thoughts of some of,regulars, particularly from away games.

THanks all for making the effort to share with the rest of us
    Glad you enjoyed my awaydays post last night boss
  • Options
    Apologies for not posting last night but it was a case of the spirit being willing but the flesh weak at the end of a very tiring 2 days. 

EIGHT hours after leaving home on Friday morning, the Fanackapans finally crawled into Reception at the Holiday Inn Express close to the DW - shaken but not stirred....From henceforth, anyone mentioning the M6 will see Fanny's red card & immediate deletion  from her Xmas card list. ' Nuff said. 

I had the same experience on Saturday, but with the added "will I miss the kickoff" stress! Got there on time (just)...

RedChaser said:
    Not sure where your problems on the M6 were @Fanny Fanackapan but if around Birmingham, the next time you venture up to the North West my best local advice would be M1 Junction 24 then A50 (all dual carriageway) to Stoke and pick up the M6 at Junctions 15 or 16.
    I took that route yesterday @RedChaser , but got caught in a MASSIVE jam trying to get to the M6 near Stoke as an accident on the M6 southbound had gridlocked the area!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologies for not posting last night but it was a case of the spirit being willing but the flesh weak at the end of a very tiring 2 days. 

EIGHT hours after leaving home on Friday morning, the Fanackapans finally crawled into Reception at the Holiday Inn Express close to the DW - shaken but not stirred....From henceforth, anyone mentioning the M6 will see Fanny's red card & immediate deletion  from her Xmas card list. ' Nuff said. 

I had the same experience on Saturday, but with the added "will I miss the kickoff" stress! Got there on time (just)...

RedChaser said:
    I took that route yesterday @RedChaser , but got caught in a MASSIVE jam trying to get to the M6 near Stoke as an accident on the M6 southbound had gridlocked the area!

Sorry to hear that, typical example of Sod's law. Not much you can do if your luck is out.
  • Options
    Use the “Waze” app for travel navigation it’s free and I swear by it 
    If there is a quicker route to your destination it will find it and updates as you go along so you’ll know your eta constantly 
  • Options

After 2.10 seconds, the famous @clb74 strikes again!

• Options
    I do wonder if we need to change our shape with the tough games coming up, and find a way of parking the bus better, which might be an extra CB or defensive midfielder, as we look far too open, Wigan broke so may times yesterday when we had been attacking.

Grind out a few clean sheets, frustrate the opponents.
  • Options
    I do wonder if we need to change our shape with the tough games coming up, and find a way of parking the bus better, which might be an extra CB or defensive midfielder, as we look far too open, Wigan broke so may times yesterday when we had been attacking.

Grind out a few clean sheets, frustrate the opponents.
    Indeed, @k@killerandflash. Echo those thoughts.

Sorry you also had a nightmeire journey north yesterday. 

Let's hope we both have better luck next time.
  • Options
    I’m not too worried about the scoreline and on reflection after the highlights, we could have got something out of it, especially with the Pen.

It was the level of performance that was the most worrying aspect.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    glad to tick it off, Berkeley before the match v cheap 3 pints 7 quid something. 

the match it self the less said the better - we were shocking from start to finish - looks like we have been found out big time. 

but the charlton way expect us to beat leeds next saturday and shock everyone. 

although the start we have had we certainly have a lot more than expected you look at the stokes and huddersfields current points, we are lucky that we have a decent amount of points on the board already. 

as people have said this is what we wanted we knew it would be a struggle to stay up will be an achievement its 2 losses on the spin but we will come on for it i think. 

• Options
    Beat Leeds on Saturday, and three points collected overall from the Brum, Wigan & Leeds matches will actually seem not too bad a return. Although we haven’t played all that well recently we haven’t looked outclassed. 

Hoping Chuks starts on Saturday, as he seems to be chomping at the bit. He makes things happen around the penalty box, and holds the ball up well. 
  • Options
    Could chuks be the key
    Does look a awkward handfull 
    But I'm fearful of Saturday
    3 losses in a row and the keyboard warriors will be out in force