Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated Music Acts

Comments

• Options
    Can't they be influential and overrated?
  • Options

Yes - but not 'the most influential'!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Ludovico Einaudi.

Probably not a name you're familiar with, but his "atmospheric" piano music is likely the sort of thing you've heard on all sorts of adverts, or in the background during a TV episode/film where there's some sort of conflict and character development or some rubbish like that. 

This sort of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDY95J9aQbg 

His stuff is all somewhat pleasant, but hangs around about three chord progressions (VI-bVII-I; or I-V-VI-III; or so on so forth), and it's all incredibly repetitive. He has made a career out of the musical equivalent of an amateur Instagram sunset photo, or email condolence, and it's all... the same.

Yet people are mesmerised and I do not understand why. 
    I've got Einaudi's first couple of albums - they weren't bad. Not heard too much of his stuff since then although the BBC are quite fond of using a couple of his tracks in their programmes/trailers.

By no stretch of the imagination am I going to rate his stuff as being equal of JS Bach but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Options
    Dua Lipa
    Ed Sheeran
    and the daddy of them all - Michael Jackson. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Ludovico Einaudi.

Probably not a name you're familiar with, but his "atmospheric" piano music is likely the sort of thing you've heard on all sorts of adverts, or in the background during a TV episode/film where there's some sort of conflict and character development or some rubbish like that. 

His stuff is all somewhat pleasant, but hangs around about three chord progressions (VI-bVII-I; or I-V-VI-III; or so on so forth), and it's all incredibly repetitive. He has made a career out of the musical equivalent of an amateur Instagram sunset photo, or email condolence, and it's all... the same.

I've got Einaudi's first couple of albums - they weren't bad. Not heard too much of his stuff since then although the BBC are quite fond of using a couple of his tracks in their programmes/trailers.

By no stretch of the imagination am I going to rate his stuff as being equal of JS Bach but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
    This somewhat helps my argument, though - it's absolutely not as good as Bach, but for some reason is certainly at the very least as popular, if not more so. Hence why it's overrated, as opposed to "I don't like it so there we go".
  • Options
    Rod Stewart....TRex....
    I agree Rod Stewart shite. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Ludovico Einaudi.

This somewhat helps my argument, though - it's absolutely not as good as Bach, but for some reason is certainly at the very least as popular, if not more so. Hence why it's overrated, as opposed to "I don't like it so there we go".
    Popular + not very good (or at least not as good as others) does not necessarily equal "overrated" unless you're using the popularity as a yardstick with which to measure how "good" the work is.

There are many things in life that are "popular" but may not be acknowledged as "good" or the "best". I doubt anyone would claim that McDonald's, Burger King, or KFC are better quality than a 2-Michelin star restaurant but they're certainly more popular!

In the case of Einaudi his music consists of, mainly, solo piano, are atmospheric songs rather than virtuoso show-offs, and pieces are less than five minutes long - in other words, short and simple, don't tax the brain, background music.

It'll be easier to get into an Einaudi album than try to listen to, for example, the St Matthew Passion but that doesn't invalidate the former's work. As long as people aren't trying to claim that it's the greatest music ever written or that Einaudi is the world's greatest pianist I can live with his output being more popular than the Great Man Bach.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I’d defend the red hot chilli peppers til the day I die, was a time when they were making great music and no one could touch them (californication and by the way are two of my fave albums of all time). Then they disappeared up their own arses with stadium Arcadium and John frusciante left (again) and they’ve gone insanely mediocre - and that’s from me, who as a teen collected posters and b sides etc from them.

coldplay and oasis have first two great albums and the rest are horrifically mediocre. 

Ed Sheeran should be top of everyone’s list. Genuinely think we’re living in simulation where some one said “I wonder what it would be like if trump was president and a ugly ginger bloke was a global superstar”. 
  • Options
    The Killers. That dude can't sing. 
  • Options
    fattmatt said:
    The Killers. That dude can't sing. 
    That song “I’m the man” is the first song of theirs that’s been any good in well over a decade. No idea how they’ve kept going since then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh, that reminds me, Stormzy
  • Options
    I think we struggle to agree on how we define overrated

I think my own list is based on the fact that the acts are held in great esteem which is not deserving, for instance, Elton John.  I saw that they made a Biopic film about him called Starman and there is a widely held belief that he is some A list Pop God which I don't really understand as I feel he made some bland pop songs in the 70s and 80s which he didn't even write, he hasn't done anything edgy or groundbreaking or influenced any other acts and he is mainly popular in the US which is no barometer of success.  

Adele - broke records for album sales, worth billions and won shed load of grammys, but is a poor man's Amy Winehouse.  An average singer who writes safe, middle of the road, easy music
  • Options

I think my own list is based on the fact that the acts are held in great esteem which is not deserving, for instance, Elton John.  I saw that they made a Biopic film about him called Starman and there is a widely held belief that he is some A list Pop God which I don't really understand as I feel he made some bland pop songs in the 70s and 80s which he didn't even write, he hasn't done anything edgy or groundbreaking or influenced any other acts and he is mainly popular in the US which is no barometer of success.  

Adele - broke records for album sales, worth billions and won shed load of grammys, but is a poor man's Amy Winehouse.  An average singer who writes safe, middle of the road, easy music
    I don't think Adele and Winehouse are comparable in any way. Both great singer, but are they overrated???
  • Options

The film was called Rocketman.

He is an A list star whether you like his music or not.  Everyone reading this has heard him and heard of him decades after he was in his prime.

He did write his songs (with Bernie Taupin) not that not writing songs makes you less of a star (see Elvis and Frank and pretty much everyone before the Beatles)

He is and was popular here and in the US.  Was a massive seller in the 70s and 80s worldwide.  Don't think anyone is claiming him as ground breaking or a particular influence.

A lot of people respect him for being one of the first out gay pop singers (hello Freddie), being a football fan pop star long before it was cool and he getting clean and then raising a lot of money for charity.

He also has a great soul voice.  You don't have to like him or his music but no need to make up stuff to justify that.

• Options
    Dylan,Beatles,Hendrix,Clapton,Rolling Stones,Ed Sheeran,Pink Floyd,Led Zep,Queen,The Who.
    They are all shit.
    Next.
    Apart from Queen - agree

• Options
    Stormzy
    Drake
    Kendrick Lamar
    Kanye West
  • Options

I don't think Adele and Winehouse are comparable in any way. Both great singer, but are they overrated???
    Why not?  both solo female singer / songwriters from the same era

Winehouse had an iconic, powerful, soulful, unique voice.  Adele - meh, droning, average, forced.  Pushed by a label like Sheeran
  • Options
    Adele sounds like she's shouting to me.
  • Options
    Phil Collins
    Madonna
    Fleetwood Mac
    Eric Clapton
    Oasis
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    kimbo said:
    Dylan,Beatles,Hendrix,Clapton,Rolling Stones,Ed Sheeran,Pink Floyd,Led Zep,Queen,The Who.
    They are all shit.
    Next.
    Apart from Queen - agree

Lol, Queen in that list are the only ones who were shit. ( from May, who was a magnificent guitarist)
    Unless its a whoosh moment of course.
  • Options
    Bob Dylan is a genious. 
    Can't believe anyone thinks he's overrated. 
  • Options
    Bob Dylan is a genious. 

100% this.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes - but not 'the most influential'!
    I don't want to knock them, I like The Beatles and appreciate their music. That said not all of their influence comes from their music, a big chunk comes from their brand. Four lads from Liverpool with mop tops and all that. Part of what made them influential to other musicians was that they started out as ordinary working class kids. There is no logical reason why the most influential band can't also be overrated. In fact, the extent of their influence could be (and I would say, is) a measure of their overratedness.
  • Options
    ABBA
    Ed Sheeran
    Adele
    The Beatles
    Coldplay
    Just Bieber
    Stormzy
  • Options
    Bob Dylan is a genious. 
    tbh, if he wasnt on his own, he wouldnt be the lead singer in another band.
    I must admit his voice does grate on me.However, lyrically he is very clearly very gifted.
  • Options
    Whilst on the subject, in the 70's there was a singer who they used to say, 'his voice was so bad,it was good'... somebody Smith? can anyone englighten me?
  • Options
    A singer lost in the mists of time.  We left his show half way through (many years ago) he was so out of tune even to my uneducated ear.

Pat Boone
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Stormzy
    Drake
    Kendrick Lamar
    Kanye West
    Quite like stormzy as he’s done it on his own (no 1 album with no label).

To paraphrase ice cube, Kanye needs to stick to producing.

kendrick Lamar is great.

but drake I 100% agree. He’s famous for essentially being a bit of a loser.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Adele sounds like she's shouting to me.
    Was she?