Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated Music Acts

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    The Rolling Stones. I don't get the Jagger appeal, he sings in a dodgy American accent.

I love the first 49 seconds of Gimme Shelter and a couple of other little bits.

The new record is dog shit. The single Angry is closer to over polished pop than anything remotely edgy. It's is full on middle of the road dad rock.
    Sort of agree, they should have retired 30 years ago...
    Liked the early stuff, ie Route 66/Walking The Dog/Little Red Rooster... rather liked the Out of Our Heads Album, but they are just naff now, and need to realise it...
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    The Rolling Stones. I don't get the Jagger appeal, he sings in a dodgy American accent.

I love the first 49 seconds of Gimme Shelter and a couple of other little bits.

The new record is dog shit. The single Angry is closer to over polished pop than anything remotely edgy. It's is full on middle of the road dad rock.
    Sort of agree, they should have retired 30 years ago...
    Liked the early stuff, ie Route 66/Walking The Dog/Little Red Rooster... rather liked the Out of Our Heads Album, but they are just naff now, and need to realise it...
    So they are a good covers band then  :)
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The most over rated band was Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
    Everything else is just a general dislike
    Did any one actually 'rate' SSS? Surely they were just a bit of fun for a couple of months.
    Apparently the  band's slogan was "Fleece the World"

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Van Morrison and Johnny Cash.
    Interesting. I think Johnny Cash is superb especially his final few albums.  
  • Options
    Michael Jackson … so boring 
  • Options
    Michael Jackson … I'm getting one word ...... NONCE!
  • Options
    Shania Twain - Nothing rhymes and sounds out of key.

• Options
    Jessie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen
    I want to say this thread is full of controversial opinions.... I'm quite surprised. I get the impression that people just consider any well-known bands or solo musicians that they personally don't like as "overrated".😅
    It’s a bit like that yes, it should be named ‘bands you don’t like’ thread. 

I’m not a fan of Led Zep but can appreciate their contribution to rock music for instance.

The Darkness meanwhile have contributed nothing, zero, zilch and should never even have been enjoyed by anyone, let alone rated by them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 10
    MJ - Genius - Greatest entertainer of all time.
  • Options
    Bloody Ed bloody Sheeran

Makes Val Doonican sound edgy and relevant. 
    Those satanic references in Delaneys Donkey are quite scary.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I can’t believe you kiss your cock at night. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen
    I want to say this thread is full of controversial opinions.... I'm quite surprised. I get the impression that people just consider any well-known bands or solo musicians that they personally don't like as "overrated".😅

I’m not a fan of Led Zep but can appreciate their contribution to rock music for instance.

The Darkness meanwhile have contributed nothing, zero, zilch and should never even have been enjoyed by anyone, let alone rated by them.
    Whooooah cowboy 

Watching The Darkness perform live is about the maximum fun you can have with your clothes on! You get snarky, fun and honest lyrics, gebuine riffs, loudness and will come out of a show covered in sweat and having had a thoroughly good time. You need to give yourself in to it and embrace what they are and how good they are at being a great live act. 

• Options
    Gribbo said:

I can’t believe you kiss your cock at night. 
    If I could, I'd be more than giving it a kiss
  • Options
    edited May 11
    MJ - Genius - Greatest white weirdo entertainer of all time.
    updated
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen

Seeing so many iconic bands mentioned in this thread really surprised me. A lot of them are/were British bands or solo musicians who went on to become worldwide successful acts yet are now considered overrated by their fellow countrymen? - I don't understand. Isn't it always extremely difficult to break America? Let alone the whole world. If a band does, it surely should be considered as a huge achievement instead of being overrated? 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen

Seeing so many iconic bands mentioned in this thread really surprised me. A lot of them are/were British bands or solo musicians who went on to become worldwide successful acts yet are now considered overrated by their fellow countrymen? - I don't understand. Isn't it always extremely difficult to break America? Let alone the whole world. If a band does, it surely should be considered as a huge achievement instead of being overrated? 
    Think its a tricky rope to walk. The thread is always going to be subjective and turn into a bit of "I think XYZ are shit" to which someone, or millions of people will disagree like with the rolling stones or Zeppelin and thats where someone can truthfully think they are overrated 
  • Options
    Opinions are good and I can understand why people may not like The Beatles, Britney, Joy Division or The Pogues and thats why the thread should be named Bands I don’t like.

This thread though mostly lacks arguments about why people think said artists are overrated just because they don’t like them, without a thought of an artist’s wider contribution.

It’s like me commenting of a thread about gaming and saying I don’t like Call Of Duty or horse racing and don’t like Frankie Dettori, when my knowledge of the history of both gaming and horse racing is minimal.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 11
    Bee Gees. Great songwriters but they sing weird. Pretty sure if one of them went on X Factor alone, they'd look like a lunatic. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Jessie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen

Whooooah cowboy 

Watching The Darkness perform live is about the maximum fun you can have with your clothes on! You get snarky, fun and honest lyrics, gebuine riffs, loudness and will come out of a show covered in sweat and having had a thoroughly good time. You need to give yourself in to it and embrace what they are and how good they are at being a great live act. 

Admittedly, they may be good live and be rated for that, but maybe not for being a pastiche of Queen without the good bit (Freddie). I’m unsure if I’m being whooshed or not 😂

• Options
    Carter said:
    Jessie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen

Whooooah cowboy 

Admittedly, they may be good live and be rated for that, but maybe not for being a pastiche of Queen without the good bit (Freddie). I’m unsure if I’m being whooshed or not 😂

Not being whooshed at all mate, its all subjective not everything is for everyone. More people look at me weird when I say I am a big Darkness fan than say they are too. What I will say is don't judge them solely on the first album, they genuinely have some bangers on their last few albums. Like I say, loads of riffs and clever, funny lyrics 
  • Options
    Muse, they play massive gigs, but i don't recall ever meeting a fan. I neither like or dislike, very meh! Overatted in my opinion.

Eagles, making bang average music since 1971. Another band i neither like or dislike.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Muse, they play massive gigs, but i don't recall ever meeting a fan. I neither like or dislike, very meh! Overatted in my opinion.

Eagles, making bang average music since 1971. Another band i neither like or dislike.
    Never met you but I absolutely love Muse!!
  • Options
    Nick Cave
    Fighting talk
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Outside now!!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Millions love them but for me the singing voices in Oasis are grating, and the music is very dull.
    I think from a technical perspective that’s probably right. But so much of the music you like is linked to emotional connection. 

I was born in 1985, so I was a bit young for the Stone Roses and that sort of stuff, but the mid-to-late ‘90’s was the time that this country came to life for me during my early formative years. Euro ‘96, New Labour coming to power (even though I didn’t really know what that meant - it felt exciting), pop-stars going to Downing Street and all of a sudden there was all this British music on the radio where previously American artists had dominated. Even Charlton started to do well! It seemed like, in the space of a few years, England went from grey and boring to technicolour. 

Oasis were the centre of that universe musically, there were lots of good Britpop acts, but they were the giants. 

It didn’t last, in my late teens Britpop died to be replaced by awful nu-metal rubbish before the Libertines and a new generation of English bands came to the rescue when I was at Uni. But through my rose tinted spectacles that time where Oasis ruled the waves seemed like a great time for music in this country and their songs are wrapped up in those memories. 

Plus Liam is still cool AF.  
    “All of a sudden there was all this British music on the radio where American artists had dominated.”

That’s nonsense……are you serious?
  • Options
    Kate Bush, David Bowie, Overblown old tosh!
    Both desparate to be relevant.
    Shame you’d say that…..as they are both from our part of the world. 😕
  • Options
    Virtually everything from 1990 onwards.