Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated Music Acts

Comments

• Options
    This will be unpopular, but Joy Division.

Every music snob I’ve ever met raves about ‘Love will tear us apart’ as if it’s some sort of musical gift from god. It’s not.

Utter dirge.
  • Options

Every music snob I’ve ever met raves about ‘Love will tear us apart’ as if it’s some sort of musical gift from god. It’s not.

Utter dirge.
    That triggers what I think should be triggered, love will tear us apart is probably what Joy Division are most known for BUT for me it isn't their best song, just the most popular to the masses. The basslines and Ian Curtis' moody vocals and stage presence I think are influential and ahead of their time. 

Absolutely respect your opinion, Joy Division split opinions, they are not cheery records. I love their work but understand why anyone would be turned off them 
  • Options
    Mrs Mills?
  • Options
    Florence and the Machine - Just awful.
    Coldplay - Average pop band.
    Elbow - Boring beyond belief.
  • Options
    edited May 8
    Keane.

I think most pop music is alright and I can kind of enjoy it, doesn't irritate me at all, but this band... I can't begin to fathom their popularity.
  • Options
    Controversially... Queen
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Controversially... Queen
    I want to say this thread is full of controversial opinions.... I'm quite surprised. I get the impression that people just consider any well-known bands or solo musicians that they personally don't like as "overrated".😅
  • Options
    edited May 8
    Bananarama, U2 great stuff when they started then just rubbish. The Pogues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Van Morrison and Johnny Cash.
  • Options
    Ed Sheeren
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Keane.

I think most pop music is alright and I can kind of enjoy it, doesn't irritate me at all, but this band... I can't begin to fathom their popularity.
    Bugger, I'm seeing them on Saturday.
  • Options
    Bob Dylan 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Keane.

Bugger, I'm seeing them on Saturday.
    Boring af to see live mate, sorry
  • Options
    Nick Cave
  • Options
    The Beatles
    U2
    Drake
    Ed Sheeran

See ya 👋🏻 
  • Options
    The Beatles 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    All music that I don't like is crap, boring, and overrated, If you don't like my choice of music then theres just something wrong with you.

I hope that sums things up. :p
    This is a thread about music you find overrated, not that you don’t like.

I hope that sums things up.

All music you dont like is overrated.
    But not all music you find overrated you don’t like…
    Exactly.

I love quite a few Pink Floyd albums and two or three by Radiohead... but in terms of the acclaim they get, and their ratio of quality output vs the dross - they're two of the most over-rated bands on the planet!
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    All music that I don't like is crap, boring, and overrated, If you don't like my choice of music then theres just something wrong with you.

I hope that sums things up. :p
    This is a thread about music you find overrated, not that you don’t like.

I hope that sums things up.

All music you dont like is overrated.
    But not all music you find overrated you don’t like…
    Exactly.

I love quite a few Pink Floyd albums and two or three by Radiohead... but in terms of the acclaim they get, and their ratio of quality output vs the dross - they're two of the most over-rated bands on the planet!
    PML?😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The most over rated band was Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
    Everything else is just a general dislike
  • Options
    The Rolling Stones. I don't get the Jagger appeal, he sings in a dodgy American accent.

I love the first 49 seconds of Gimme Shelter and a couple of other little bits.

The new record is dog shit. The single Angry is closer to over polished pop than anything remotely edgy. It's is full on middle of the road dad rock.
  • Options

Utter dirge.
    LWTUA was the nearest thing JD got to a commercial single release and is significantly unrepresentative of most of their material.
    Don't like them, by all means
    The sheer number of artists that reference JD as influential cements their place in the pantheon
  • Options
    I’ll touch on what I have kind of said before.
    Some of a the music by a musician or band can be overrated but I don’t think a band can be overrated if they are trailblazers or leave a fantastic legacy.

I’m not a massive fan but can never see how The Beatles can ever be overrated. The amount of great songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote, that people still know now and have influenced other bands and popular culture set them apart from many others.

Even Queen left some kind of legacy, whether it be to Rock Opera or a great live band. Although let’s face it, stuff like Bicycle Ride is one of their many Yellow Submarines.

• Options
    The Streets. Absolute rubbish. I still believe he knows it and it's all a big experiment to see what you can get people to buy. 
  • Options
    The Beatles
    Elvis
    Michael Jackson
    Nirvana
    Spice Girls
    U2
    ABBA
    Queen
    Elton John
    David Bowie
    Madonna
    Bob Dylan 
    The Rolling Stones
    Led Zepplin

All of them suck. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    The Beatles
    Elvis
    Michael Jackson
    Nirvana
    Spice Girls
    U2
    ABBA
    Queen
    Elton John
    David Bowie
    Madonna
    Bob Dylan 
    The Rolling Stones
    Led Zepplin

All of them suck. 

Glad you left Nana Mouskouri out
  • Options
    The most over rated band was Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
    Everything else is just a general dislike
    Did any one actually 'rate' SSS? Surely they were just a bit of fun for a couple of months.
  • Options
    Idles