Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Haringey walk off v Yeovil, match abandoned, racist abuse

Comments

• Options
    No one's muddied the waters, every post has completely condemned the behaviour of a few inbred drips at the football. 

I make the point because from the since DL was brought up almost all posts mention her. I’m now guilty of it myself because i am discussing her rather than the behaviour of the Yeovil fans.

I accept your point about Tony. You clearly know him and I don’t. Perhaps the comments struck such a nerve that it leaks into barely related topics but to claim that the waters have not been muddied is mistaken. The intent may not have been there but the effect is the same. 

By muddied waters, you actually mean the thread has gone off onto another subject, like 99% of CL threads do. Whether that's annoying to members, or as the MODS want it to be, is another matter, but the threads do. My point is, it would not have been done to trivialise racism in the game and the subject of the original post, it was probably done off the back of reading / hearing DL and then logging onto here and seeing a thread on racism
  • Options
    I’ve got no time for what a boutery to be honest. The comments Mrs Lawerence made have absolutely nothing to do with the behaviour of Yeovil fans. To conflate the two, in my mind demonstrates a reluctance to criticise racist behaviour. I could go on to condemn or defend Mrs Lawerence but that would serve the second purpose of what a boutery which is to derail the thread.

Overs with a similar mindset would have attempted to muddy the waters by claiming that either they or someone they knew were at the game and there were no racist chants. Some would have claimed that it was a spoiling tactic as Haringey knew they would go on to lose. These excuses won’t gain any traction with right minded people as a result of the  Yeovil players coming back onto the pitch in solidarity with the Haringey players. Their actions deserve huge praise.
    I believe Haringey were winning 1-0 at the time? 
  • Options
    Maybe he resigned. I don't know.

Well done to both sets of players for taking action.  The only way to bring about change.
  • Options
    I’ve got no time for what a boutery to be honest. The comments Mrs Lawerence made have absolutely nothing to do with the behaviour of Yeovil fans. To conflate the two, in my mind demonstrates a reluctance to criticise racist behaviour. I could go on to condemn or defend Mrs Lawerence but that would serve the second purpose of what a boutery which is to derail the thread.

Overs with a similar mindset would have attempted to muddy the waters by claiming that either they or someone they knew were at the game and there were no racist chants. Some would have claimed that it was a spoiling tactic as Haringey knew they would go on to lose. These excuses won’t gain any traction with right minded people as a result of the  Yeovil players coming back onto the pitch in solidarity with the Haringey players. Their actions deserve huge praise.
    I thought the opposite. I had a quick look but it’s hard to wade through the bigger story of abandonment to find the details of who scored.
  • Options

I thought the opposite. I had a quick look but it’s hard to wade through the bigger story of abandonment to find the details of who scored.
    Sorry, you're right Yeovil were winning 1-0
  • Options

Yeovil were winning 1-0 thanks to a dubious penalty. That's when it all kicked off and the fans started giving the keeper grief, there was a long delay before the penalty was taken and then Haringey walked off after.
  • Options
    If a team does walk off because of racist chanting or whatever  (As is their right  ).
    What happens to the result of the game. 
    For instance if a team is losing and they walk off as happened yesterday what happens next.
  • Options
    My guess is that the competition will have rules governing this type of event. Does anyone remember the replay between Arsenal and Sheffield Utd? That game was replayed because of bad sportsmanship which as far as I know was not included in the official rules of the FA cup. This means there is leeway for coming up with flexible solutions and the FA should consider their actions carefully. An important precedent is about to be set going forwards.

What does everyone think the FA should do?
  • Options
    My guess is that the competition will have rules governing this type of event. Does anyone remember the replay between Arsenal and Sheffield Utd? That game was replayed because of bad sportsmanship which as far as I know was not included in the official rules of the FA cup. This means there is leeway for coming up with flexible solutions and the FA should consider their actions carefully. An important precedent is about to be set going forwards.

Condemn DL's comments

😉
  • Options

Replay!!... Its not the fault of Yeovil Town Football Club

The players and those that work at the club shouldnt be punished for the actions of a few twats

Same the fans shouldnt be punished the way Bury were treated for how it had been ran
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God knows what the FA will or won't do.
    There really is no easy answer to this.
    Personally I would rather the team stays on the pitch and the stewards and police take tougher action with the people doing the racist shit.
    Arrest them and give them life bans.
    If this happened I'm sure it would have some effect. 
    Still not sure just what the FA can do.
    Reply the game behind closed doors perhaps  ?.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'm pretty surprised at Yeovil fans behaving like this, apart from it being soaking wet and freezing or both whenever I've been to their ground I can't think if somewhere where I have been made more welcome 

That said I'm a white boy so I can't comment on any racial bigotry. I didnt hear or see anything that gave me the impression their support had that in their locker but again, I'm hardly going to be the target of monkey chants 
    Likewise, my ‘father-in-law’ lives in Thorne, a five minute walk from the ground and when I’ve standing with the home fans I haven’t heard any racism.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Replay!!... Its not the fault of Yeovil Town Football Club

The players and those that work at the club shouldnt be punished for the actions of a few twats

Same the fans shouldnt be punished the way Bury were treated for how it had been ran
    Depends - if it was just one or two offenders then maybe you’re right. If it was a sizeable minority (like in Bulgaria) then the team should be kicked out of the competition. 

There will be a couple of idiots in any crowd who can be dealt with, but if it’s more than that then it’s probably indicative of a bigger issue amongst fans of that football team/country. 
  • Options

Not sure to be honest as it's a tough one without a precedent. Firstly they have to do a thorough investigation and be very certain that there was abuse. At the moment (and i've not seen evidence) it's just accusations isn't it?

Happy to be corrected if evidence exists.
  • Options

Not sure to be honest as it's a tough one without a precedent. Firstly they have to do a thorough investigation and be very certain that there was abuse. At the moment (and i've not seen evidence) it's just accusations isn't it?

What a ridiculously sensible post. Surely you should just decide that Yeovil fans are guilty and the entire West Country is racist even though you haven’t heard or seen any footage. Seems to be the norm anyway !
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Racism seems to be quite an issue again in football. Never thought I would say that in 2019 a few decades back.
    I’m not sure racism in football has got worse (not that you’re saying that, @mendonca), but it’s about time toleration of any racism is totally unacceptable. I really hope that this rises to the surface as an important issue and organisations like UEFA and the FA handle it appropriately.
    Racism in football is nothing to what things were like 40 plus years ago.  Anybody that went to football in the 70's onwards will testify to this.
  • Options
    find out how they voted in 2016, send them to Auschwitz, get them to watch 12 years a slave
  • Options
    If a team does walk off because of racist chanting or whatever  (As is their right  ).
    What happens to the result of the game. 
    For instance if a team is losing and they walk off as happened yesterday what happens next.
    I imagine it would be played again, minus the minutes already played.
  • Options

I think the reaction of the Yeovil players once the game was eventually abandoned speaks volumes to be honest.

As this was a relatively low level match I wouldn’t expect multiple camera angles and microphones to be accessible so the referees report will be important as will the testament of Yeovil themselves. I haven’t read any statement from them as yet.

• Options
    find out how they voted in 2016, send them to Auschwitz, get them to watch 12 years a slave
    ???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get the culprits together in a studio for live TV. Play them the  interview with the Haringey manager from 606 last night. Ask them their opinion. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    http://chng.it/hxQBxKqfvc

Wasnt sure were to put this, but wanted to make sure people saw it, her comments were a disgrace to the emergench services who tried there hardest to save as many lives as they could
  • Options
    Get the culprits together in a studio for live TV. Play them the  interview with the Haringey manager from 606 last night. Ask them their opinion. 
    What did the interview say?
  • Options
    Two men arrested in connection with the incident(s) at Yeovil
  • Options
    Another awful day for football - players seemed very upset. Both teams took the same stance.

FA needs a strong statement on this to shame the idiots in the crowd.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    People falling over each other to condemn black players getting abuse, when it absolutely goes without saying, while otbers split hairs on Doreen Lawrence's attempt to fuel racial tensions with her "opinion"  

Both incidents need to be flagged and condemned imo. DL's comments  could potentially put members of the fire service at risk in certain areas.

But do they both need to be flagged on a thread that’s specifically related to black players getting abused at a football match in England? Seems a bit weird kind of “yeah that’s bad, but what about this”. 

Haven’t got a clue what Mrs Lawrence said, but what’s been reported here re Grenfell sounds bang out of order, but I don’t understand how it’s related to the dreadful events at the Yeovil match and any comments related probably should go on their own thread.
    You're right. Someone always seems to come up with a "Yeah, that's bad, but what about this," on threads like this one. It's totally inappropriate and reflects badly on the poster and his (pretty much always a bloke, isn't it?) agenda. 

Must have been on CL's predecessor that I recall some **** responding to something about Stephen Lawrence's murder with, "Well, he was no angel himself." Beggars belief.

• Options
    Has the Leeds goalkeeper been arrested yet?