Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England cricket winter tour

Comments

• Options
    154-8 off 15
    RRR 17.6
  • Options
    165 all out

England win by a lot.
  • Options
    2-2 in the series.
    Final game in Auckland sat night/Sunday morning
  • Options
    Pres mate - most commentators are saying that Jordan has been Englands best bowler in this series. For me he's nailed on for the world cup next year
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yes, i know, actually it was his 2nd over that reigned in the Kiwis today. He is kinda the senior bowler amongst all the schoolboys in that team so you would expect him to take some responsibility. His fielding was superb,as usual today, including one finger-tipper that would have been catch of the series.
    Still think he's a shit bowler mind you, then again, look at Rashid, he's improved !
  • Options
    Shit is a bit harsh, he's always been an ok T20 player and seems to be getting better. Shouldn't be anywhere near the ODI side but I have no issue with him playing T20. Great fielder and can bat a little too. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Shit is a bit harsh, he's always been an ok T20 player and seems to be getting better. Shouldn't be anywhere near the ODI side but I have no issue with him playing T20. Great fielder and can bat a little too. 
    IMO, he's shit at International level. (Generally) Sprays it around with little or no control, however, his fielding and especially catching is right up there at the top. I suppose if he 'saves' 8 runs an innings with his fielding then maybe you can put up with his inconsistent bowling numbers.
    He's certainly not someone i'd want to go to as a captain to bowl the crucial overs at the death. However, i do recall him bowling a fantastic Super Over once against someone.
    Actually, was he picked up by anyone for The 100?. Actually, i wont go there.
    Be interesting to see what his stats are.
  • Options
    T20 is his best format 
    He's a world class fielder
    A useful batsman 
    And when he gets it right a pretty decent bowler.

No way should he be in the 50 overs side though. 
  • Options
    Bowling
    42 matches
    1272-54 @ 23.55 and economy of 8.50

Batting
    24 innings
    10 not out
    204 runs
    HS 36
    AVE 14.57 @ strike rate 125.15
  • Options
    He bats low down so stats can be very misleading in T20.

His bowling stats aren't great; only 54 wickets in 42 matches doesn't sound good me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Bairstow has been called up as cover for Denly for the Tests. His break didn't last very long!
  • Options
    Pres mate - most commentators are saying that Jordan has been Englands best bowler in this series. For me he's nailed on for the world cup next year
    I was surprised when he was picked for this tour. He had a fairly average season for Sussex but he’s done well on this tour.
  • Options
    redman said:

His bowling stats aren't great; only 54 wickets in 42 matches doesn't sound good me 
    Wont pick up too many wickets if he cant bowl the ball at the stumps. :)

Interesting to look at other bowlers ECON who bowl in similar positions...
    Starc 6.7
    Malinga 7.2
    And these are guys that would be bowling in the power play too.
    Also..
    Amir 6.9
    Mathews 6.8
    Southee 8.3

But , one surpise is Boult who also runs at 8.5 - but then again he would normally be bowling in the PP too.
  • Options
    T20 is his best format 
    He's a world class fielder
    A useful batsman 
    And when he gets it right a pretty decent bowler.

No way should he be in the 50 overs side though. 
    Agreed and he isn’t anymore. He wouldn’t make my T20 side now we have Archer but I think he squeezes into a 15 man squad. 
  • Options
    Malan and Morgan were so good, so in command that it almost got boring
  • Options
    redman said:

The 54 wickets in 42 matches is OK . A comparison with some of the best T20 pace bowlers in the world

Bumrah 51 in 42
    Starc 39 in 28
    Boult 37 in 26
    Amir 59 in 48

Spinners as good as say Rashid Khan will have better strike rates (81 in 42) simply because batsmen are more likely to get batsmen caught in the deep - whereas fast bowlers who might get more wickets in the slip cordon don't actually have anyone standing there!
  • Options
    redman said:

The 54 wickets in 42 matches is OK . A comparison with some of the best T20 pace bowlers in the world

Bumrah 51 in 42
    Starc 39 in 28
    Boult 37 in 26
    Amir 59 in 48

Spinners as good as say Rashid Khan will have better strike rates (81 in 42) simply because batsmen are more likely to get batsmen caught in the deep - whereas fast bowlers who might get more wickets in the slip cordon don't actually have anyone standing there!
    Even Cummins doesnt have great wickets to matches ratio. None of the quicks do, primarily coz of the reasons AA mentions above.
    In terms of Econ, in the list i am looking at, there are only 3 bowlers with worse economy rates....Jerome Taylor ,AJ Tye and (surprise,surprise) Dernbach.
  • Options
    England win an 11 over-a-side contest and the series on a super over.
  • Options
    "IMO , he's shit at International level. (Generally) Sprays it around with little or no control. 
    He's certainly not someone i'd want to go to as a captain to bowl the crucial overs at the death" 
  • Options
    England win an 11 over-a-side contest and the series on a super over.
    Some ridiculous hitting as you'd expect in a shorter game. NZ got their 50 up after just 2.4 overs!

Superb bowling in the super over from Jordan, going for just 8.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    "IMO , he's shit at International level. (Generally) Sprays it around with little or no control. 
    He's certainly not someone i'd want to go to as a captain to bowl the crucial overs at the death" 
    you forgot the 12 off 3 balls at the death to get the tie.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Just watching the highlights and i thought i'd seen everything in cricket...

Banton smacks Boult for 6.
    Next ball is out LBW which is reviewed.
    DRS then shows the front on ball-tracker of the PREVIOUS ball (which he hit for 6) - and the TMO gives him out .
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Was at the match today, great entertainment. Jordan bowled the super over very well. Eden Park a strange ground though as the boundaries are extremely short. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The TMO work has been appalling on what i've seen. Curran given out stumped when to me he looked in to me.
    Then the TMO calls it pitching outside when , yeah, it pitched outside OFF to a right handed batter attempting a reverse sweep.
    The DRS system used is not the usual one, seems to be a cheaper model bought from Trotters Independent Traders - i'm sure it gave Banton out lbw based on the second pad it hit.

The highlights have not been much better - didnt even show Bairstow getting out in first innings.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Was at the match today, great entertainment. Jordan bowled the super over very well. Eden Park a strange ground though as the boundaries are extremely short. 
    James, good to hear from you. I did wonder if you would be at the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Both new openers in waiting, Sibley and Crawley, scored centuries on the warm up match against NZ XI (that contained no-one i recognised)
  • Options
    Both new openers in waiting, Sibley and Crawley, scored centuries on the warm up match against NZ XI (that contained no-one i recognised)
    Nice for them but not sure how much their innings really tells us about whether they're ready for test cricket!
  • Options
    Nice for them but not sure how much their innings really tells us about whether they're ready for test cricket!

The only way to find out is to play them in this 2 test series and see how they go.
  • Options
    Current 3 day warm up game:

NZ "A" 306-6 declared
    England 172-5

We were 105-5 with Burns, Sibley, Leach, Root and Stokes all back in the hutch but Denly (62*) and Pope (33*) have steadied the ship with a stand of 67 to date.

• Options
    195-6

Denly out for 68
    Buttler joins Pope (50*) at the crease