Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 26 November | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited November 2019 in General Charlton
Luton Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 26 November | Kick-Off: 19.45pm | Live on Sky Sports via Red Button
Referee: Darren England

Introduction
This is it now, with no more international breaks until March 2020, the run in to Christmas has officially begun. With 8 more games of this calendar year, it means we will be playing every 4-5 days on average. If we thought our squad had been tested before, we can think again... Thankfully, our only major travel is away at Middlesbrough in the first week of December. The fixtures this festive period has been kind to us as we remain in London for the vast majority of the time.

The result against Cardiff City on Saturday, in front of the Sky Sports cameras - something we are going to have to get used to - was disappointing not to have come away with all 3 points after being 2-0 up at half-time. However, with he injury crisis and general squad situation, many would have taken a draw before the game. Now we have to turn our attentions to the next challenge, and one which is going to be difficult but hope to put a bit of away form together, Luton Town.

Opposition
Manager: Graeme Jones (31% win rate) | Stadium: Kenilworth Road
League Position: 22nd | Nickname(s): The Hatters
Fun Facts:
- World War Two put a stop to Luton Town first entering the top tier of English football. It wasn't until 1956 before they finally won promotion, before a horrific decline throughout the 1960s saw them fall all through the leagues.
- Luton Town have the third highest proportion of players in their squad that were born in the United Kingdom (85%). The highest in the division is actually us (88%), with Preston North End second (87%).

After taking over from one of Luton Town's most successful managers in their history, in terms of win ratio, Nathan Jones, his name sake Graeme has found life in the Championship tough. With only 4 wins from the opening 17 games, having the second worst defence in the league, and 5 defeats in a row, The Hatters who strolled League One last season have struggled to find their feet.

Luton Town usually play a system similar to ours, having rarely differentiated away from the 4-4-2 diamond that had so much success before. Luton Town were even brave enough to play that way against Leeds United on Saturday. Their last line up at the weekend was:

Shea
Bree Pearson Bradley Potts
Ruddock
Shinnie Tunnicliffe
Brown
Cornick Collins

In terms of danger men for Luton Town, I think Izzy Brown deserves a mention. The Chelsea loanee spent last season at Leeds United but really struggled for any kind of first team action, and was rumoured to have been a negative influence, taking more pride in his clothes and appearance than his football. However, this season he has done well, sitting in the number 10 role behind the front two. Brown does have the skill and ability to cause problems and make things happen. Another player who might not get the headlines, but can cause us problems is Harry Cornick. The 24 year old attacker has scored a very respectable 5 goals this season, and with his contract up at the end of this campaign, he could be looking to carry on this form in order to get a move elsewhere in the summer.

Having played Luton Town twice last season, and being the team to end their unbeaten run, Bowyer knows a lot about this side and how they play. Luton Town are not afraid of venturing forward and playing expansive football, for a team who has been struggling at the wrong end of the table, their goals for tally looks good. Credit to them for sticking to their principles. However, in this league, if you're left wanting more time on the ball, and leave wide open spaces in defence, you're going to get punished and found out far more quickly than in League One and League Two. The Hatters are a team who push their full-backs very high, often at the same time leaving their two centre-backs exposed when they lose possession of the ball. Too many times this season they've conceded from a poor transition, and played right into the traps set by the opposition. A high press and a productive, quick, and incisive counter-attacking football is often very efficient against them.

Charlton Team News
Well, where do you begin after the amount of injuries we have? When it rains, it pours, when it comes to our treatment room. With the extent of Josh Cullen's ankle injury yet to be determined, we all can hope that it isn't as serious as it looked. The only positive is that we can introduce Darren Pratley back into the team, an away game where he could be so very important.

With us having three games in a week, the usual suspects of rotation are likely - not that we have many options! After Matthews played at right-back on Saturday, Solly will come into the side, similarly with Pearce playing at the weekend, Sarr could come in for him alongside Lockyer. An impressive display by Oztumer, he would be hoping for another start, but whether he manages to recover in time is yet to be seen. Expect another very young and inexperienced bench, and after Doughty coming on and showing some promise at the weekend, he could again be asked to do a job for the team again from on the bench.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Oztumer, Doughty, Davison

Prediction
Luton Town is a difficult place to go, Leeds United found that out on Saturday after only winning the game very late on. With our away form - picking up a lowly 3 points from our last 5 away games - adding in the amount of injuries we have to deal with, it makes this game even harder. If we can keep them quiet and not concede in the first half, I could see a similar result to last season at Kenilworth Road. We need to move the ball quickly and press them high if we are going to create chances.

Luton Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Bonne

Comments

• Options
    I'd go 3 at the back (Lockyer/Pearce/Sarr), Doughty and Matthews the wing-backs, Gallagher, Oz/Morgan (if Oz injured) and Pratley in midfield, Bonne and Leko up front. Failing that, and if we want to give Naby an extended naughty-corner, it could be the back four you say with Pearce for Sarr, although if Oshilaja is actually injured there's a choice between picking Oz AND Morgan, or playing - and hear me out, because this is what I most want - Sarr in midfield :D
  • Options
    I have a hunch we might see the same back four as yesterday, Pratley as DM and the Oz/Morgan/Gallagher axis of imaginative attacking threat. Provided Bowyer feels frisky enough
  • Options
    Agree with Leuth , Pratley at the base of the diamond , so a swop with Oshilaja . Gonna be a scrappy game so I'll go 1-1 ,Bonne with a late equaliser.
  • Options
    Good preview Sage. 
    I pretty much agree with the side you have gone with.
    We badly need a win at the moment and despite our injuries this is a decent chance to get one.
    2.0 Charlton and we start a little run of not losing. 
  • Options
    It can hardly be scrappy if we play all our flair players at once! I wouldn't have said yesterday was a scrappy game - it was pretty end-to-end! I think the game on Tuesday might be a bit like that too
  • Options
    I never predict scores & apologise if this is not the time & place, but with only a couple of days until the match, we're trying to arrange to meet our group for a bite to eat & drink pre match.

The Wetherspoons around 5 mins from the station & 15 mins walk from the ground has been mentioned so would be grateful if anyone ITK could advise if this is a "safe" place for away fans .

Thanks x
  • Options
    It seems crazy to say this in November, but this has the feel of a real 6 pointer. 2 promoted teams, both on a poor run and desperate for a win to stop the rot. We win and they'll be 12 points behind us, they win and it's 6.

A bit of pressure on Jones to get something from this fixture too, the fans will accept losing to Leeds, but not to a fellow promoted side. Now in the bottom 3 as well, which must a blow psychologically.

Really frustrating to have so many injuries, as we're now in a run of comparatively winnable games.
  • Options
    Luton Town have the third highest proportion of players in their squad that were born in the United Kingdom (85%). The highest in the division is actually us (88%), with Preston North End second (87%).

Great stat that. He might still be lurking behind the scenes, but that stat shows how little influence Driesen now has on our recruitment.
  • Options
    Phillips 

Mathews, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington 

Pratley,

Leko, Gallagher, Morgan/Oztumer, Doughty

Bonne
  • Options
    I never predict scores & apologise if this is not the time & place, but with only a couple of days until the match, we're trying to arrange to meet our group for a bite to eat & drink pre match.

The Wetherspoons around 5 mins from the station & 15 mins walk from the ground has been mentioned so would be grateful if anyone ITK could advise if this is a "safe" place for away fans .

Thanks x
    Went there last season. No problems whatsoever and was mainly Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    6 pointer, lose this and we are really starting to head towards trouble. Put Taylor on the bench to keep them guessing. 

2-1 to luton 

• Options
    Let us hope that we can win a live Sky game (red button), got to keep optimistic so 1-2 win
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Thanks x
    Went there last season. No problems whatsoever and was mainly Charlton.
    That's great, thanks, @Redrobo
  • Options
    Can anyone going keep an eye on @Rossman92 please. He sticks out like a sore thumb :#
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    For those reserving a place for Mathews - Bowyer has said he is not ready to play two games in four days.  After Doughty's bright cameo against Cardiff, he should feature against Luton.
  • Options
    Great preview @Sage mate

Reckon your right with the Defence, be interesting to see if Oshilaja plays in front of them again what with Pratley back (although Cullen injured) - Would love to see Doughty getting a start after his cameo but he played so far forward (for a non-striker) yesterday it makes me think that Bowyer doesnt believe he's ready for a more defensive game in the Championship so reckon we'll see him on the bench
  • Options
    as writ, Luton have lost 5 on the bounce .. they are due a break .. so .. a draw .. 
    gawd knows who'll be fit for Tuesday, for certain it will be a Sarr less starting eleven .. be good to see Doughty starting but I don't think he will .. 
    where are the missing Israelis ?.. are Mossad out on the look for them ? .. or is Interpol on the case over taking money under false pretences, i.e. that they are professional footballers ?

Luton Town 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    edited November 2019
     Not really got a clue what the line up should be so I'll go with this. 

Phillips

Solly  Lockyer  Pearce  Purrington

Pratley 

Morgan  Gallagher  Doughty

Oztumer 

Bonne 
  • Options
    No1 starting matthews? Is he injured? I thought he looked ok 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    2-1

Phillips
    Matthews - Lockyer - Sarr - Purrington
    Oshilaja
    Pratley - Gallagher
    Oztumer
    Bonne - Leko

Maynard-Brewer, Solly, Pearce, Morgan, Kayal, Doughty Davison
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2121 said:
    Looked very decent.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Bowyer has said there's no way he can start Tuesday but who knows. 
  • Options
    Looking for DP to have a good game after his wee rest at the weekend, 0-1 after a real battle. 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0
  • Options
    2-0 to us, Gallagher and Taylor off the bench.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Can anyone going keep an eye on @Rossman92 please. He sticks out like a sore thumb :#
    I was invited for a drink with Ian, Marilyn, and Ollie before the match. I'll be with them for most of the night I imagine
    And the Fanackapans ! 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    I was invited for a drink with Ian, Marilyn, and Ollie before the match. I'll be with them for most of the night I imagine
    And the Fanackapans ! 
    Wonderful!! What a crew!
  • Options
    I don't reckon Oshilaja, Oztumer or Matthews will start; they all looked pretty spent at the end of the Cardiff game but I'd expect to see them on the bench.
  • Options
    Doughty as left wing back in a back five??

Be good to see Solly back.

Purrington is solid but not much good going forward.