Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 26 November | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    2-1 Luton but hoping I'm wrong. Have to start winning again asap.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    They all say Purrington is not good going forward but defends well, so its like we kind of have 3 normal defenders and 1 fullback then?
  • Options
    We really need a win to turn round some rotten form/luck. Luton have lost their last 8,000 matches so this represents a good opportunity and I think we’ll take it despite our depleted squad. 2-1 to Charlton. 
  • Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-key-man-ruled-out-of-luton-game/

Cullen out, Oxtumer touch and go, Oshilaja ok

The only consolation with Cullen is that it doesn't seem as serious as you might have feared for him to be stretchered off, he's having a scan today
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I think it’s harder for Purrington to show his attacking ability this season because we are not a team who is going to sustain pressure the same way we did last season. This means it’s harder for him to get higher up the pitch in dangerous areas in the same way he did time and time again at the end of last season.

Purrington has also been playing with an injury for much of this season, albeit he is better now. You then have to think that he has constantly had a different left sided centre back next to him, this changes the dynamic and the license he has to get forward. Then you consider that players in this league are faster and technically better than last season so he is always having to be careful of being caught out in behind.

Other reasons to consider is that as we don’t play with wingers, it’s a huge role he has in the team to be the one to provide the width but also solid enough in defence. When Taylor and Williams is in the side, we tend to have the ball higher up the pitch and get into more dangerous areas than we do without them. This allows Purrington to venture forward more as very often you would have Williams dropping to the left and supporting him, creating some very clever combination play allowing us to get into a position where we play the ball across goal and score. If you look at our goals since the start of last season, so many were scored with the ball played across the 6 yard box. You can only do that if you have the players to get into those positions on a regular basis. Grant was excellent at it, Williams and Taylor as well, it allowed players like Purrington to get into the back post.

This season we haven’t managed to put a sustained bit of pressure on a team for a while. Nottingham Forest at home in the first half was probably the last time that really happened. We have had to change the way we play and that has hindered Purrington going forward.

He deserves more respect because he has been solid. Don’t ever remember him making a bad mistake since joining the club and has been made to play, and play well, every week almost because of being the only proper left back we have. 
    I think Ben's slight lack of pace has been an issue, not so much when attacking, but more when having to run back from attacking positions after we lose the ball.

With Bowyer's formations, I think it's a touch job being a full back. With the old days of conventional 442, the full back and winger would work in tandem on each side, both when attacking but also when defending, now the full back often seems to be left by himself.
  • Options
    Think we have to use fresh legs where we have them - so SOlly and Sarr in.

Phillips
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Morgan Pratley Gallagher
    Ozzy Doughty
    Bonne

AMB Matthews Oshilaja Pearce Leko Davison

Plenty of creativity and  movement going forwards there. Hope to put more past them than they have put past us!
  • Options
    The one silver lining of the Cullen injury is that it may help us keep him in Jan
  • Options
    Sounds promising about Cullen... 

For him to even have to say that he's ruled out tomorrow gives me hope
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    One thing that frustrates me a bit with Purrington is that when he receives the ball often his first thought is to turn back and pass to Pearce/Sarr rather than looking forwards. Obviously if there isn't a ball on then no problem but I'd rather he be a bit more adventurous sometimes. 
    The first 20 minutes on Saturday, he barely played a single forward pass. To be fair to him, good pressing by Cardiff and a lack of movement ahead of him would have been factors
  • Options
    Doughty as left wing back in a back five??

Be good to see Solly back.

Purrington is solid but not much good going forward. 

Except when he scores important goals  :)
  • Options
    Why not try Sarr in the position Oshilaja played on Saturday?
  • Options
    Why not try Sarr in the position Oshilaja played on Saturday?
    Not mobile enough in my view. Fan of Sarr but that role would leave him exposed. Oshi did a job there and Pratley is the master at it leave it at that.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    One thing that frustrates me a bit with Purrington is that when he receives the ball often his first thought is to turn back and pass to Pearce/Sarr rather than looking forwards. Obviously if there isn't a ball on then no problem but I'd rather he be a bit more adventurous sometimes. 
    Absolutely this.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Remember, Bowyer hates giving the ball away cheaply ..... it's all about retaining possession.

No doubt Purrington is under instruction as a defender with no cover behind him, not to take risks.
    He also has to keep the team shape.

And also, we must remember, he's a defender first and foremost. 
    That's his job. We might want him to be a marauding Rhoys Wiggins - but in reality he's a Chris Powell.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:
    Remember, Bowyer hates giving the ball away cheaply ..... it's all about retaining possession.

No doubt Purrington is under instruction as a defender with no cover behind him, not to take risks.

That's his job. We might want him to be a marauding Rhoys Wiggins - but in reality he's a Chris Powell.

I don't expect him to be like Wiggins, but there comes a point when a litte bit of risk needs to be taken. His first thought should be to look forwards up the line or inside (but forwards). Too often I feel he takes the easy option.
    Matthews on the other hand is on the front foot and will look forward first then go back if there's nothing on.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:

I don't expect him to be like Wiggins, but there comes a point when a litte bit of risk needs to be taken. His first thought should be to look forwards up the line or inside (but forwards). Too often I feel he takes the easy option.
    Matthews on the other hand is on the front foot and will look forward first then go back if there's nothing on.
    Matthews' is known as an attacking full back and much of his qualities lie in going forward.
    Purrington's are his defensive dependability and ability to keep the defensive shape. Gallen recently said that's exactly why they signed him.

I get your point that it would be good occasionally for him to more forward - but he does you know (as we saw at Wembley, etc), when the opportunity arises and he's got solid cover, which he doesn't always have in a diamond midfield. A lot would also depend on the game plan for that particular match, and the job each player is individually  instructed to do: "Each player knows his job", says Bowyer - so Purrington is playing to instructions.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:

Matthews' is known as an attacking full back and much of his qualities lie in going forward.
    Purrington's are his defensive dependability and ability to keep the defensive shape. Gallen recently said that's exactly why they signed him.

I get your point that it would be good occasionally for him to more forward - but he does you know (as we saw at Wembley, etc), when the opportunity arises and he's got solid cover, which he doesn't always have in a diamond midfield. A lot would also depend on the game plan for that particular match, and the job each player is individually  instructed to do: "Each player knows his job", says Bowyer - so Purrington is playing to instructions.
    Fair points. Can't imagine the diamond formation is a full back's dream. 
  • Options
    The night the wheels come off.

5 - 1 defeat but no new injuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The night the wheels come off.

5 - 1 defeat but no new injuries.
    We really don't want to read that, Henry.

You'd better not be right!

• Options
    At least I'm not as pessimistic as @Henry Irving. I'm just going for the traditional odd goal defeat. 

2-1 & relegation fears ramp up further.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    What bothers me is we started badly against Millwall then got ourselves on top but I expected us to give the game back to them at the end and probably a goal. Then being 2-0 up on Saturday, I expected Cardiff to come back. This isn't just the level of teams we are playing but a fragility of a team lacking confidence. Understandable with all the injuries, but we are doing ok and making killer mistakes due to it. We have to change that and we need a good win. But it can become a vicious circle and I think it will be a narrow defeat again for us tomorrow.
    Things will get worse before they get better. I'm sure they will get better though when key players start returning. 
  • Options
    I have seen us concede 7 at Luton but there's no Ricky hills or Bob Hattons to contend with this time 

I think we will keep it down to 1 or 2 .despite the injuries there are goals in our side so I can sense we can nick a win ....2-1 to us 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Best wishes to all Addick travellers.
    Lest we forget:
    https://www.heathermckinlay.com/why-i-hate-luton-part-one/
  • Options
    1-0 Charlton. 

Bonne to keep his form going. Thought he was brilliant Saturday.

I like Purrington and he will be forever loved for the equaliser but Saturday wasnt his best game. Cant always play well of course but overall, he is solid and reliable.

• Options
    Teenage midfielder James Vennings is set to be on the bench for Charlton’s match at Luton Town tonight – with the club’s injury crisis deepening at the weekend.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletics-midfield-injury-issues-mean-19-year-old-set-for-bench-role-at-luton-town/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Teenage midfielder James Vennings is set to be on the bench for Charlton’s match at Luton Town tonight – with the club’s injury crisis deepening at the weekend.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletics-midfield-injury-issues-mean-19-year-old-set-for-bench-role-at-luton-town/
    Also confirms that Solly will start
  • Options
    4-1 Charlton... no idea why I am so bullish...