Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull City POST MATCH THREAD | 13/12/19

Comments

• Options
    yet again we continue to defy the odds
  • Options
    Five minutes of injury time were announced. They scored on 95.20. We lost to Bristol City in the 6th minute of "4 minutes" of injury time. @oohaahmortimer has mentioned events in injury time tonight that *may* have caused the ref to add on more time. But the point is, we don't know. We don't know either if the ref made similar time allowances for similar incidents throughout the game. We have a billion pound industry running on the whims of individuals, who, unlike players and managers, are not held accountable for their decisions.

It could be different. If, as in ice hockey, the clock was controlled by another official, and the whole stadium knows he has stopped it, and when the game stops when a siren sounds wherever the puck/ball happens to be, and not because the refs want to see happens to an interesting attack, then we would know exactly where we all stand, players and fans. 

Of course this is an issue for all clubs and fans, and the system i describe might have stopped the game just as Josh Cullen's cross arced across Wembley. But it has to be better than this amateurish, whimsical, Hackney Marshes approach to operating a professional business.
  • Options
    I'm worried looking at the league table that we've lost to 3 teams below us recently.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Also for the record, my fellow American Eric Lichaj is a grade A C***
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Five minutes of injury time were announced. They scored on 95.20. We lost to Bristol City in the 6th minute of "4 minutes" of injury time. @oohaahmortimer has mentioned events in injury time tonight that *may* have caused the ref to add on more time. But the point is, we don't know. We don't know either if the ref made similar time allowances for similar incidents throughout the game. We have a billion pound industry running on the whims of individuals, who, unlike players and managers, are not held accountable for their decisions.

It could be different. If, as in ice hockey, the clock was controlled by another official, and the whole stadium knows he has stopped it, and when the game stops when a siren sounds wherever the puck/ball happens to be, and not because the refs want to see happens to an interesting attack, then we would know exactly where we all stand, players and fans. 

Of course this is an issue for all clubs and fans, and the system i describe might have stopped the game just as Josh Cullen's cross arced across Wembley. But it has to be better than this amateurish, whimsical, Hackney Marshes approach to operating a professional business.
    Hasn't it always been "a minimum of..."? If the ref wants to add on 5.20 he has to put 5 up rather than 6. 
    I've always understood that to mean, that if something happens in injury time, it might go on longer. which of itself is perfectly rational.

My point is that throughout the game we ought to be fully informed at each point exactly when the clock has stopped and for how long. Why should we not have this information? We pay enough to watch this stuff. 
  • Options
    I think it’s perfectly reasonable for the ref to control a visible clock. If they can introduce VAR, they can do this.  Then, as mentioned, we’ll all know when the clock is stopped, and we’ll all know how much time is left. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it’s perfectly reasonable for the ref to control a visible clock. If they can introduce VAR, they can do this.  Then, as mentioned, we’ll all know when the clock is stopped, and we’ll all know how much time is left. 
    Yep. But I would have a different official doing that job, leaving the ref to focus on what is going on right now, rather than worrying about whether he remembered to add on the same amount of time for this injury as a similar one previously. 
  • Options
    So frustrating. This one hurt more than the Huddersfield one because we really needed those 3 points and we deserved them, but we love throwing games away.
    These late goals are becoming self-fulfilling prophecies though and we really need to sort it out. We have a small squad with injuries so the players we have are absolutely blowing at the end of games. That drops the players deeper and invites pressure. Pressure when you're deep invites crosses, which we are absolutely terrible at defending at the best of times. That means that when games hit injury time teams are desperately pushing forward against a deep defence chucking crosses that they know we can't deal with. We concede, and the more it happens the more it starts to feel like it's inevitable that it will happen. Even Sky threw up the graphic that we've conceded four time in injury time, and you just felt like it was inevitable, which was a shame because we actually hadn't looked too troubled by Hull up to that point. We've dug ourselves a hole here and it's just going to keep getting worse until we do something to instill some confidence into the defence.
    We did do well though. Sarr and Leko were excellent and we looked like a team who would see out a dogged win until the clock ticked into injury time. I'd be pretty pissed off right now if I were Deji Oshilaja though. He's looked decent most every time he's played recently but he can't get into the team ahead of Jason Pearce, whose form has been absolutely terrible recently. I think Pearce needs to be taken out of the firing line for a bit and Deji can step in
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    though the result has pissed me off i will always have the memory of Sarr starting and finishing a goal that spanned the length of the pitch. when he crossed into final third he had all the serenity of a man out jogging on a Sunday morning in a Parisian park. 

Great description.
    Naby started and scored a beautiful goal, assisted by the erratic Leko who was 99% better than Tuesday. Gutted Sarr didn't get to do a tunnel jump for him and for us the fans who are paying the price of paddy Bauer goal at Wembley. When ever we have good things happen about Once a decade, we are then cursed. 

• Options
    Purrington shouldn't have tried to head the ball, he should of stepped in and barged the guy so he didn't get decent contact. Happens all the time.
  • Options
    But you don’t add time for every stoppage. If you did, I think you’d need to add 15 minutes to most halves (I remember seeing about 30 minutes is taken up by stoppages of some sort).  Where’s our resident ref to explain when time is supposed to be added?
  • Options

I've just watched the recording of injury time.

The throw in after Taylor is treated is taken at 90.16 (so 16 seconds to add)

The Ref blows the whistle for a foul by Purrington at 94.41. At 94.43 Leko kicks the ball away which is then kicked back to the Hull player by their bench but is intercepted and picked up by Leko at 94.50 who is then booked at 94.57 (another 16 seconds to add). 

So there should have been at least 32 seconds to add.

The goal is scored at 95.18 (i.e. with at least 15 seconds to play) and the final whistle is blown at 96.16 but there is actually no further play because the goal celebrations use up the remaining time.

Had Purrington not committed that foul and then Leko wasted time we probably would have won.

I started a thread last month about time wasting and how it is cheating fans as the ball can be in play for less than 60 minutes. However, in this instance, LB is clutching at straws and his outburst is a distraction from the real issue which is our inability to defend and have a proper game plan for seeing a game out. 
    I'm with you on this. Got in about 90 mins ago & have watched the recording of the match. If Leko hadn't have stupidly thrown the ball away then the ref may have blown up once Hull had taken the free kick or when it was partially cleared. We'll never know. What I will say is that they scored less than 20 secs after the "officisl" 5 mins of added on time was up. During that extra 5 mins the ball had been out of play a number of times & we also done some not so subtle time wasting at throws & goal kicks.....so an extra 30 secs or so is neither here nor there. It might have been better making sure the ball was in their box & not ours for pretty much most of the 2nd half. 

Anyway......I thought we played ok. Not great, but enough to get a point. Didnt feel as gutted as I did tuesday night but felt for the players at the end. Some players came out with much credit such as Sarr, Leko, Matthews, Phillips & Lockyer. Less so Purrington & Pearce whose individual errors costs us 2 goals. Criminal defending by Pearce to go to cut out the ball then withdraw his foot at the last minute. Purrington is too static right at the end & couldn't get any height from a standing position. Imho both defenders are just not Championship quality.

At least we stopped the run of defeats. It takes time to turn round the Titanic & hoping by xmas we are starting to get some momentum again. 
  • Options
    Incredibly predictable
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I woke up and my tired eyes read the score as 2-0. Ah, well, that's predictable, I thought and was quite indifferent given our recent run and the injuries.

As my eyes slowly focussed, I saw 2-2. Much better, quite happy. Fair result against Hull City.

I then looked at the scorers: Phillips (og) 90 + 6. Now totally pissed off.

How to go through the scale of emotions as an absentee Charlton fan in about 30 seconds!
  • Options
    I’m drunk! In Lee Bowyer we trust! If we had a Nigel Adkins for example in charge i honestly think we might be bottom. Up the Addicks! 2-1 win at QPR
  • Options
    Gutting to concede so late again but a much improved performance that once again gives me hope that we'll be fine this season.

However it's now Bristol, Millwall, Huddersfield and Hull where we've dropped points with pretty much the last kick of the game. 5 points in total now.

A tough week with 3 games in 6 days, but now we have 8 days until we play again. A chance to give the players a good rest and hopefully at QPR, Taylor can start and also we'll see Williams play at least half an hour and perhaps 1-2 others might have a chance of coming back.
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Note to fans - fantastic support at the game. Volume turned up in last few minutes as we tried to get boys over the line. 
    Especially given it was such a dire turnout. Well done all those there, was noticeable more stayed to clap,the players off at the end.

still gutted
    Good atmosphere last night - also still feel gutted by the way it ended. Their goal scraped in which just about sums up our luck recently.