Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull City POST MATCH THREAD | 13/12/19

Comments

• Options
    I'm taking the positives...

1) Better game
    2) Better all-round performance (although did we only have the two shots?)
    3) Leko, Sarr and Gallagher all looking much sharper.
    4) Another small step for Taylor (although I think he'll go in Jan).
    5) Home crowd gave good support.
    6) And here's the real one.....that's two games running now that the East Stand A Block toilets have been open! 
  • Options
    The game was like most we've had this year, we compete well despite not having too much possession, but there's only so many times we can stay camped in our own half defending, we need to learn to keep and get the ball further forward for sustained periods 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Wish people would fuck off using the term bottlers

They're fucking low on confidence because they're being shafted by referees and injuries every week - Or can someone even fucking well explain how they werent bottling it against Brentford or Leeds!!!
    The team are a massive bunch of bottlers.
    And fans like you are a massive bunch of cunts!!!

Fair weather aint ya... Great when its going well but dont have the guts for battles like this
    Poor defenders who drop too deep in last 20 mins and try to defend the 18 yard box, knowing that when the final ball comes in they will crumble beneath it and hope that Phillips will get them out of jail. Bottlers.
    Of course because you know about the mindset of a pro athlete!!!
    So you are happy with the mindset of a team that concedes 5 goals in added time?
    You don't believe there is a problem there? It's all just back luck is it?
    You HAVE to make the right decisions when it counts. That is bottle in professional sport - when the pressure is really on.

Of course I'm not happy but what your calling the players is bullshit - Why the fuck do you for one second think I'd be happy with conceding in the last minute

I'm frustrated at the referee for giving free-kicks which arent as they're costing us badly!!.. I'm frustrated for the players as you can see by their reactions at Full-Time that they've given their all for nearly the entirety of the game yet ultimately this is Football, its Sport... Players will drop back in the last 20mins because the opposition are forcing them to do s (or do you think its like a stage play where everyone has their part to play, the story is pre-written and Hull were supposed to just come here and have their tummies tickled!!) - Of course Bowyer would make the changes to counter Hull forcing us deep but he cant at the moment can he

Am sorry but the word your using is far too simple a word to describe how they're playing

To say the players have no bottle is to say they're scared of going for the win of managing to hold out

Lack of confidence is what the players are going through, they're fully aware they're conceding last minute goals and will be aware of the potential of a last minute goal happening the moment the injury time board goes up because its happening every week (hell Adam Forshaw admitted as much that players go through that emotion when he was on Quest a few weeks ago)

Yet nor did you answer my question, how can a player have the bottle to see out a game like Brentford or Leeds yet suddenly not have the bottle against Huddersfield or Hull?

Of course its not bottle that we're talking about, players arent robots, they're NOT going to make the right decisions every time

mendonca said:
    I'm worried looking at the league table that we've lost to 3 teams below us recently.
    Agree @ForeverAddickted, absolutely inevitable that Hull would attack and force us back in the last 20 mins, just like we did at Boro last weekend - wave after wave of attacks.
    Oh, hold on.
    Nice of you to continue avoiding why they werent bottlers against Brentford or Leeds...
    We could have concede 10 against Leeds, but good for us that we contrived not to gift them a last second equaliser as we have done 4/5/6 times since. (sorry I lost count)
    I watched the Boro defeat, so they are going to have to do more to impress me than earn 1 point from home games to Huddersfield and Hull. Good for you if you are happy with that haul
    Season of goodwill to all men chaps, emotions run high after another last minute goal against and 10 winless games. We may have different opinions and that's what is great about this game just look at some of the players marks most weeks! Let's park it and move on 🙏.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
     Only Taylor had the nous to draw a foul late on. The first foul on him not the foul that wasn't given.
    If Williams had been fit enough for the bench he would've frustrated the Hull defenders in a cameo 6 minute spell.
    I believe that Lee Bowyer is a tremendous young manager but Bonne should've stayed on and Leko, who had a good game come off. (Bonne + Taylor could've worked the line in Hull's half)
    This retreating mentality invites pressure. 
    Where's Tony Watt when you need him ?

This is the first crisis in Lee Bowyer's tenure as manager, on the field. Last 10 games Lee has had fewer options with the growing injury list and sicknesses, and players are looking shattered and individual mistakes are being punished. Bowyer has made some strange calls on subs in recent games.
    The lightweight Vennings in the Huddersfield game (Morgan was available) and not having Bonne on the field to defend the mandatory fouls and balls into our box late on last night.
    This season is taking its toll on Bowyer, the uncertainty over the years of cafc being for sale and his position and role in the ideas of Matt Southall which was made apparent in the comments by Lee Bowyer. I'm not  ITK but something left field was mentioned by the incoming chairman. Steve Gallen position as head of recruitment shouldn't be affected considering his shoestring budget of recent years  but a director of football or a new type of position in the pyramid of a 21 century ambitious club may have been mooted to LB ?

Innovative and new ideas come with a young Chairman on the up in the football business world: Whether that is 100% compatible with Lee will be interesting to find out.
    Strange or different ? 
     By the closing of the January window, the next steps of CAFC will be clearer.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    According to internet Purrington is 5ft 10 and the Hull scorer ranges 5 ft 7 to 5 ft 9 obviously he’s young and growing but still Purrington gotta make a better effort than he did 
    He’s a lot taller than 5 10
    Just seen 6 ft and half an inch on another site , another growing lad ! 

Certain Charlton defenders shrink in height when going for headers 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    According to internet Purrington is 5ft 10 and the Hull scorer ranges 5 ft 7 to 5 ft 9 obviously he’s young and growing but still Purrington gotta make a better effort than he did 
    He’s a lot taller than 5 10
    Just seen 6 ft and half an inch on another site , another growing lad ! 

Certain Charlton defenders shrink in height when going for headers 
    No way is he 7 let alone 9 inches taller than Solly 😜.
  • Options
    As good as we played , every week our keeper Is the one making all the saves , I can’t remember their keeper making a save of note .
    We aren’t testing the oppo keepers
  • Options

They're fucking low on confidence because they're being shafted by referees and injuries every week - Or can someone even fucking well explain how they werent bottling it against Brentford or Leeds!!!

Fair weather aint ya... Great when its going well but dont have the guts for battles like this
    Poor defenders who drop too deep in last 20 mins and try to defend the 18 yard box, knowing that when the final ball comes in they will crumble beneath it and hope that Phillips will get them out of jail. Bottlers.
    So you are happy with the mindset of a team that concedes 5 goals in added time?
    You HAVE to make the right decisions when it counts. That is bottle in professional sport - when the pressure is really on.

Of course I'm not happy but what your calling the players is bullshit - Why the fuck do you for one second think I'd be happy with conceding in the last minute

I'm frustrated at the referee for giving free-kicks which arent as they're costing us badly!!.. I'm frustrated for the players as you can see by their reactions at Full-Time that they've given their all for nearly the entirety of the game yet ultimately this is Football, its Sport... Players will drop back in the last 20mins because the opposition are forcing them to do s (or do you think its like a stage play where everyone has their part to play, the story is pre-written and Hull were supposed to just come here and have their tummies tickled!!) - Of course Bowyer would make the changes to counter Hull forcing us deep but he cant at the moment can he

Am sorry but the word your using is far too simple a word to describe how they're playing

To say the players have no bottle is to say they're scared of going for the win of managing to hold out

Lack of confidence is what the players are going through, they're fully aware they're conceding last minute goals and will be aware of the potential of a last minute goal happening the moment the injury time board goes up because its happening every week (hell Adam Forshaw admitted as much that players go through that emotion when he was on Quest a few weeks ago)

Yet nor did you answer my question, how can a player have the bottle to see out a game like Brentford or Leeds yet suddenly not have the bottle against Huddersfield or Hull?

Of course its not bottle that we're talking about, players arent robots, they're NOT going to make the right decisions every time

mendonca said:
    I'm worried looking at the league table that we've lost to 3 teams below us recently.
    Agree @ForeverAddickted, absolutely inevitable that Hull would attack and force us back in the last 20 mins, just like we did at Boro last weekend - wave after wave of attacks.
    Oh, hold on.
    Nice of you to continue avoiding why they werent bottlers against Brentford or Leeds...
    We could have concede 10 against Leeds, but good for us that we contrived not to gift them a last second equaliser as we have done 4/5/6 times since. (sorry I lost count)
    I watched the Boro defeat, so they are going to have to do more to impress me than earn 1 point from home games to Huddersfield and Hull. Good for you if you are happy with that haul.
    I'll be happy if we finish 21st this season... We're currently 17th

As I said last night no I'm not happy with the form we're in but nor am I happy with the constant over-reaction on here

We're going to have to agree to disagree, your view for me is too black and white
  • Options
    Just read that Doughty had been due to start yesterday but was ill at the last minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oohaahmortimer said:THIS
    As good as we played , every week our keeper Is the one making all the saves , I can’t remember their keeper making a save of note .
    THIS.....100%.

I'd hate to be in Taylor & William's boots in the coming weeks as they are now deemed to be the new saviours according to everyone on here. 
  • Options
    Purrington the scapegoat. What about Pearce for the first goal? Phillips as well for the second? The entire team not reacting quick enough for their second?
    I completely agree but Purrington gave away a soft free kick and then didn’t jump for the header.  He’s been dreadful for weeks and weeks 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    When Taylor and Williams were fit as well as Cullen and Field, we were in the top 6.
    So to hope that would help CAFC at least to be around 15th to 19th doesn't seem like great expectations to me at the end of the season ?( January window will either help or hinder those modest ambitious) 
  • Options
    edited December 2019

mendonca said:
    Oh, hold on.
    I watched the Boro defeat, so they are going to have to do more to impress me than earn 1 point from home games to Huddersfield and Hull. Good for you if you are happy with that haul.
    Oh and we're ok to call people CUNTS on this forum now are we?
    I don't think you're a CUNT, but I do disagree with you.
    I think Boris Johnson is a CUNT though.
    And you rightfully have my apologies for that outburst last night, comment was rightfully deleted by admin by the looks of things
    Good man.
    You're a great contributor to this forum.
    I do love a happy ending 👏👍😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

mendonca said:
    Oh, hold on.
    Oh and we're ok to call people CUNTS on this forum now are we?
    I don't think you're a CUNT, but I do disagree with you.
    I think Boris Johnson is a CUNT though.
    And you rightfully have my apologies for that outburst last night, comment was rightfully deleted by admin by the looks of things
    Good man.
    You're a great contributor to this forum.
    I do love a happy ending 👏👍😉
    You dirty old git! 😉
  • Options
    Just watched the game again, very hard to take. However if you sit back and try to defend when holding the lead which we often seem to do and clearly can't do you can't be that surprised with the outcome. I'm reluctant to criticise LB too much but any manager whose team has taken 3 points out of the last 30 available in what looked like winnable games and despite a lengthy injury list has to be under pressure especially with some tough looking games coming up. If as we all hope the takeover goes through soon i can't see the new owners rightly or wrongly allowing things to drift much longer before they look to bring their own man in.
  • Options
    oohaahmortimer said:THIS
    THIS.....100%.

I'd hate to be in Taylor & William's boots in the coming weeks as they are now deemed to be the new saviours according to everyone on here. 
    Taylor won't be here.
  • Options
    Bloody sickening. It’s insane our bad luck 
  • Options
    When Taylor and Williams were fit as well as Cullen and Field, we were in the top 6.
    So to hope that would help CAFC at least to be around 15th to 19th doesn't seem like great expectations to me at the end of the season ?( January window will either help or hinder those modest ambitious) 
    I’m not as optimistic as most (shock horror I’m a miserable twunt) because that start was on the promotion crest of a wave and was a rollover from last seasons success and we did have the rub of the green Leeds , Brentford and even Stoke hit the post twice before we got going .
    now we’re on a proper downward spiral and these players aren’t gonna be all back and firing on all cylinders for a good while yet .
    We should have enough to survive but by no means a cert , take 21st right here and now please .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m a bit saddened to see a few people laying blame on Philips for the late goal.....I don’t blame him, another day it would have been a decent enough save....slippery wet ball, skidding off a wet pitch, right in the corner with the very slightest of unlucky miss handling was all it took to agonisingly cross the line.
    Happens to every keeper at every level of the game....I put very little blame on him, it wasn’t what you’d call a howler.
  • Options
    I couldn't bring myself to come on here last night, too hacked off. It's no coincidence that other teams like Wigan and Barnsley at the bottom are also conceding loads of late goals, it's what struggling teams do. Overall we were MUCH better than Tuesday. I said at half time that if we had played like that on Tuesday, we would have won and still stand by that

The Pratley goal was quite like the Matt Smith goal for Millwall, and great play by Sarr for the second. Leko was very dangerous in attack and Morgan showed enough to make the decision to leave him out even more strange.

Pearce should have tried to clear the first, Purrington was a bit weak to allow the header for the second but Dillon will be disappointed. So reminiscent of the Fulham equaliser when we were relegated from the PL.
  • Options
    Wait for Charlton to take the lead then bet against us. Easy money. 
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed tonight, I thought the players gave 110 and the atmosphere in the North Upper was the best it's been in a while. I'm fairly confident we'll stay up this season, we just need to get some bodies back.
    Agree completely can’t understand the booing at the end In the upper north,
    We are still playing the kids, Taylor’s return for 15 mins being the only difference, yeah we looked bolloxed for the last 15, because that team has been playing every match, no rotation, no options, Young Mr Pratley doing 90 mins twice a week was never in the plan! 

You can’t fault the 100% effort, no team has battered  us by 3 or 4 even when we’ve not been at it, top half finish easy, have faith. 
    I agree with you for the most part but we weren't really playing the kids last night were we? We had our first choice back five and keeper out there, Pratley is our rotation option at holding midfield, and Gallagher and Leko are both first choice. Bonne is Taylor's understudy but hasn't done himself any harm with his performances, so the only kid out there really was Albie, and it's not like he's untested. The subs that came on were Oshilaja and Taylor, so not exactly children either. If we'd had Williams back and Taylor fitter we would have said that was our first choice team out. You could possibly make the argument that Field comes in, but Pratley scored and was some people's MOTM so hard to argue against his inclusion. They're definitely a tired bunch though

• Options
    We've a very difficult post Christmas/January coming up and we need reinforcements QUICKLY .. so many players who did so well last season are out of form, out of their depth or injured .. so much depends on this supposed takeover, (or is it just an excuse for a smug looking suited and booted geezer to sit in the stand on a freebie with his good looking female companion ?) IF IF the takeover is a reality, it needs to happen very quickly. Without a new batch of fresh players and a huge dose of renewed optimism,we are in grave danger of going straight back down.

Phillips is beginning to be found out. Great shot stopper but useless at controlling his area. I suspect that his increasing indecisiveness is affecting the defenders. Pearce battles away but is not quite good enough at this level, Purrington and Solly are unrecognisable from last season, Sarr ? one goal does not excuse his general all round rubbish and inconsistent performances. Midfield is decimated as is the attack. Leko and Bonne are good players, but with little support  from makeshift midfields they are always right up against it. Gallagher is doing the work of two men and he's little more than a boy.
    The upside ? We will have some much missed players back soon I hope. Problem is with Williams, every time he takes a tackle there is a likelihood he'll be straight back in the ICU for  few more weeks. Taylor cannot be expected to perform even more miracles on his own. Amos, when fit again, must now be seriously considered as a replacement for Phillips.

I read this back and think what a miserable old geezer I have become. I am usually a supreme optimist, but this terrible run of form and a fear that there is little chance of it stopping (without a lot spent on new blood) in the near future. I feel sorry for Bowyer and his coaches after such a glorious end to last season. This is a new era and we just must come to terms with it VERY quickly. 

• Options
    Still feel gutted about that late equaliser 
  • Options
    Posting this without comment. You can make your mind up.

• Options
    I was gutted last night and put me in a bad mood for my Xmas drink up with all my ex-pat mates. The game was on ESPN+. On reflection this morning it was a good game and much better performance. You got to give it to the Hull player who equalized he really got up there and Dillon was unlucky to not save it. We'll be ok with money coming in and bring some players in January. Roll on boxing day and I will be at the Valley for the Bristol game. COYR
  • Options
    Posting this without comment. You can make your mind up.

Purrington had to jump from a standing start......Hull player was fortunate enough to be able to get a little run at it and hence could get more lift.