Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull City POST MATCH THREAD | 13/12/19

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    The 'used to be shite' chant was rolled out after he did some good defending in the first half. After his goal we were calling for him to be made Pope
    I'd take him as my boyfriend after that performance 
  • Options
    Been a bad week for Purrington. He went to vote on Thursday but couldn’t put a cross in the box. 

I’ll get my coat.........
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Don't worry, I'm staying put ;)
    It's on the telly, though! Promise you won't watch?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Don't worry, I'm staying put ;)
    It's on the telly, though! Promise you won't watch?
    'Fraid I can't promise that. My son is bound to watch and then I'll end up getting drawn in. If the good folks of Charlton Life wanted to Go Fund Me to go out...   ;)  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The 'used to be shite' chant was rolled out after he did some good defending in the first half. After his goal we were calling for him to be made Pope
    He has done well, especially the other night, but not ready to play in goal!
  • Options
    The worst thing about the equaliser wasn’t so much that Purrington got out jumped but that the 18 year old who has only played half a dozen games seemed to have more guile.
    And it was another 18 year old who scored the winner on Tuesday against us for Huddersfield but this time it was out most experienced player, Pratley, who gave him the space to do so. And Pratley did the same thing for Hull's opening goal yesterday too,
    Pratley has made a number of mistakes recently that have led to goals recently. Suspect he needs a rest but it hasn’t really been an option lately. 
  • Options
    Posting this without comment. You can make your mind up.

Purrington had to jump from a standing start......Hull player was fortunate enough to be able to get a little run at it and hence could get more lift.
    On that basis, there would be 3-4 goals from corners/ free kicks/ crosses every game 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The 'Naby for England' made me laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve been the first to criticise Dillon in the past but honestly don’t think it was his fault at all for their equaliser... it’s a low directed header from about 4 yards out.. he did well to get a hand to it if you ask me. 
    That’s how I saw it 
  • Options
    I’ve been the first to criticise Dillon in the past but honestly don’t think it was his fault at all for their equaliser... it’s a low directed header from about 4 yards out.. he did well to get a hand to it if you ask me. 
    Agree. Horrible position for him too. Too far to kick, too near to dive.
  • Options
    You can see how it went in and excuse it, but it should have been saved.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who cares what Millwall are doing. This season is all about achieving safety and then re-evaluate from there. As Bowyer said.
    I do.  Hope no one minds?

Bollocks if they do!
  • Options
    It is a shame we also have Aouchario out injured as well. Never been near the 1st team but sure if fit, he'd have been involved by now.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I thought we looked reasonably comfortable until Bowyer decided we should go more defensive, on about 70 mins.
    Morgan who had played well and gave us a bit of forward momentum was subbed for Oshilaja.

This meant we had 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders & a goalie.
    Just Gallagher, Leko & Bonne/Taylor to create anything.

The game changed straight away and an equaliser was coming from then on.
    It was just gutting that it came right at the end.

That 95 mins was up is just noise.
    It was a MINIMUM of 5 mins to be added and you play to the final whistle.

I love Bowyer and will be really pleased for him if he's allowed to strengthen in January.

But I don't understand his tactics atm, despite all the injuries.

Ten games ago I agreed playing 5 at the back as we were lacking midfielders.
    However after about 4 games without a win and it was clear it wasn't working I feel he should have changed it, to be more attacking.

He hasn't, we've continued with the same losing formation (generally) and Lee's gone from trying to win every game, to not trying to win the games.

Lee has my 100% backing, I know we are crippled with injuries, but I do feel he should have changed tactics about 5 games ago.
    Worth remembering Doughty was due to start but had to withdraw. May have been a different formation if he’d been available. He couldn’t really name a much more attacking side, all our available forward thinking players started except Taylor (lacking in match fitness) and Vennings (only on the bench out of necessity). It’s hardly like there’s been a string of attacking players left on the bench so people like Pratley and Purrington can play instead. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Posting this without comment. You can make your mind up.

That’s like me out jumping Greg Davies 
    Purrington doing a great impression of Christ Redeemer.
  • Options
    I thought we looked reasonably comfortable until Bowyer decided we should go more defensive, on about 70 mins.
    Morgan who had played well and gave us a bit of forward momentum was subbed for Oshilaja.

That 95 mins was up is just noise.
    It was a MINIMUM of 5 mins to be added and you play to the final whistle.

I love Bowyer and will be really pleased for him if he's allowed to strengthen in January.

But I don't understand his tactics atm, despite all the injuries.

Ten games ago I agreed playing 5 at the back as we were lacking midfielders.
    However after about 4 games without a win and it was clear it wasn't working I feel he should have changed it, to be more attacking.

He hasn't, we've continued with the same losing formation (generally) and Lee's gone from trying to win every game, to not trying to win the games.

Lee has my 100% backing, I know we are crippled with injuries, but I do feel he should have changed tactics about 5 games ago.
    Agree with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Incredible bit of goalkeeping at 2:06
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Bowyer should get the slack that Powell got, and rightly so.

It will be a magnificent achievement to keep us up, history from takeovers suggests the trigger would be pulled at a moments notice.

• Options
    Bowyer should get the slack that Powell got, and rightly so.

It will be a magnificent achievement to keep us up, history from takeovers suggests the trigger would be pulled at a moments notice.

I hope LB is given the chance he deserves with decent resources and then we can see how far he can take us. I hope the new owners look at the injury situation and judge accordingly.

If LB was sacked it would alienate a lot of fans.
  • Options
    Dillon has been excellent this season, but that doesn't mean that he can't be criticised, as he probably should have saved that. He'll certainly be thinking that himself

I didn't like the Morgan withdrawal either, it just sent out the wrong message as he wasn't playing badly and it wasn't as if he was tiring either. 6 defenders on the pitch is incredibly passive and inviting pressure on ourselves.

It's not as if we're more vulnerable when he plays either. In the last 3 matches while he's been on the pitch we've won 2-1, while he's not been playing we've lost 3-0
  • Options

Double impact also that Oshilaja ain't a Championship quality defender or midfielder.  We've seen plenty worse than him at all levels but he doesn't cut the mustard in either role, so we were bound to be weaker overall.  Morgan didn't look knackered or clobbered so we have to assume it was a tactical move.  Of greater concern at the time was Matthews at right back, who had taken one for the team early on and was walking a red card tightrope, risking yet another suspension.  LB's allowed a few tactical mis-steps, so long as he learns from them, the white heat of a relegation 6 pointer is not the scenario for expanding D O's experience at this level.
    Don't quite get the cacophony of praise for Jon Leko.  Granted his performance was a world away from Tuesday night but Tuesday's was unforgivable.  He ran far and swiftly in the build up for Naby's goal but didn't look up once, he just put the ball "into an area" to use the current punditspeak.  The fact it was onto NS's toe owed much to fortune and the gut busting effort from the goal scorer himself.
    Phillips was sold a pup by Pearce for their first goal, kept us in it at least twice with terrific saves but the final act will be keeping him awake for weeks to come.  He was hugely unlucky to have the ball bounce back onto is head and over the line but it should never have squirmed away from him at the near post.  It's easy to forget that he's only had a year of regular football with us and at 24 is young, especially for a goalie.  Forging a career at this level may rest on how he processes and uses blunders like Friday's.
    Most worrying from Friday is Pearce's evident fatigue and loss of form.  We only have 3 CH's and currently LB wants to play them all, our one time defensive rock and on-field leader is floundering.  Here's hoping he gets a proper rest this week and has the chance to get his head back in the game.
    Keep smilin'
  • Options
    Pearce's error in leaving the ball for the first goal was pretty poor. The second goal was more bad luck than anything else - the save was made near the post and ricocheted in( this sort of thing happens).

Another goal conceded in injury time on Saturday and we will start getting paranoid.

Don't understand why some of our fans seem reluctant to see anything good in Leko.
  • Options
    12 minutes of highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZhpN94oBY
    Why cant we do this. Decent length highlights with a bit of detail - commentary and some replays.

One of the things that annoy me and I would change is that Valley pass has made more content go behind a paywall. My view is the paywall should be for any 'live' content i.e. watching or listing to matches live and maybe to watch or listen back to the whole game. Anything else (interviews and decent length highlights should be free and accessible IMO.

If you regularly attend games its not worth paying for Valley pass but it means you miss out on interviews and highlights (other than the crappy 2 mins with no commentary we get from Sky).

Really doubt you would lose much income from it either. VP subscribers are those who want to watch the games live and so will pay for it.
  • Options

Most worrying from Friday is Pearce's evident fatigue and loss of form. 

We only have 3 CH's and currently LB wants to play them all, our one time defensive rock and on-field leader is floundering.  Here's hoping he gets a proper rest this week and has the chance to get his head back in the game.

It's been a big ask of Pearce to play 3 games in 6 days.

He's pretty much a veteran and is carrying significant body wear & tear, which normally has to be carefully managed.

Credit is due to Pearce for keeping going.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Most worrying from Friday is Pearce's evident fatigue and loss of form. 

We only have 3 CH's and currently LB wants to play them all, our one time defensive rock and on-field leader is floundering.  Here's hoping he gets a proper rest this week and has the chance to get his head back in the game.

It's been a big ask of Pearce to play 3 games in 6 days.

He's pretty much a veteran and is carrying significant body wear & tear, which normally has to be carefully managed.

Credit is due to Pearce for keeping going.

They're all soldiering on manfully, but did Pearce need to play all those games though - Deji is supposedly a centre back by trade but sat on the bench for all three matches.
  • Options
    Oddly, I feel rather optimistic about Saturday.