Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull City POST MATCH THREAD | 13/12/19

Comments

• Options
    thickandthin63 you are spot on .
    It's obvious the whole team are giving their all.Pleased to see Leko play much better , as on Tuesday some morons were giving him dogs abuse at full-time , and he could hear them . Game management , the modern day term , is what we are lacking atm. Bowyer is doing his best with a very depleted squad , yet it's wrong to fault the players for lack of effort !

• Options
    We did get nervous for the last 5 minutes last night.  But explain to me a 6ft3 full back that cant jump at all 
  • Options
    According to internet Purrington is 5ft 10 and the Hull scorer ranges 5 ft 7 to 5 ft 9 obviously he’s young and growing but still Purrington gotta make a better effort than he did 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    A lack of concentration and panic led to the last minute equaliser as players got drawn towards the ball in a desperate attempt to clear it. As the Sky pundits highlighted, four of our defenders were marking one man near the penalty spot as the ball came in. Purrington had three opppnents to keep an eye on and he also gets drawn towards the ball at first but who is talking back there both he and Phillips can see what is developing at the far stick.

The rest is history. Purrington a fully grown man is flat footed to get out jumped  by an 18 year old youth whist Phillips having brilliantly kept two more difficult efforts out fails on this occasion. A real low body blow for the effort the team had put in but unfortunately they were their own worst enemies at the end. At least it was a point which many on here thought was unachievable, keep the faith the cavalry is coming and I'm sure we'll see this winless run out.
  • Options
    Yeah echo what most are saying. So disappointing and had an air of inevitability about it. I thought the ref was going to blow before the ball was pumped back in. On to QPR. Taylor to start. JW on the bench and possibly Field. Wonder how Cullen is progressing. He is the biggest loss for me. My aim is for mid table still. Need takeover confirmed and see what happens in January. Fear premiership will entice Taylor.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Heartbreaking equaliser that you could see coming. Particularly heartbreaking as we could quite easily have taken six points from the last two matches, rather than one.
    Each time we took the lead we seemed to decide to just hang on. We looked like a team desperate for three points, which of course we are, whereas with more belief we might have stayed on the front foot rather than allow the pressure to build up.

Positives were that we looked the better team (although Hull were poor), Leko is becoming more dangerous, Sarr is looking more confident (and more dangerous when going forward), and it felt like we created more chances than in the last four or five matches.

I think we'll have a chance of a result at QPR.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I don’t think it’s as simple as “not jumping”. The onrushing attacker has more momentum than the defender who is more stationary. It was exactly the same as the Millwall winner where Sarr got pelters for not jumping but Smith was motoring in with all the momentum (and extra height). To see another example, look at Pratley’s goal last night. The Hull fans could be asking why their defender didn’t outjump Pratley, but Pratley had the forward momentum which is what gives the person attacking the ball the edge in such situations.
    The Pratley goal was down to their ineffective zonal marking where their player was static, Purrington was on the move until the ball came in. Sarr at Millwall v Smith and v Nuhiu of Sheffield Wed should have shown more aggression and attacked those crosses.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Positively, we were much better last night. Pratley and Sarr were excellent. On the downside, our defending lacks confidence. The clearances were extremely poor and too desperate and when we needed a desperate clearance Pearce bottled making it. I was thinking I would have pulled up the team I managed last season for it and given the vast difference in levels that is not good.

We are now reaching a point where that three points could be the line in the sand that we move forwards from. It is a shame it wasn't last night, but we can't let it send us into despair, things are moving in the right direction. Let's make next Saturday that line in the sand. 

Sometimes a good sleep before commenting is helpful.
  • Options
    But you don’t add time for every stoppage. If you did, I think you’d need to add 15 minutes to most halves (I remember seeing about 30 minutes is taken up by stoppages of some sort).  Where’s our resident ref to explain when time is supposed to be added?

Time wasting and injuries which made up the 32 seconds I referred to are definitely reasons for adding time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    According to internet Purrington is 5ft 10 and the Hull scorer ranges 5 ft 7 to 5 ft 9 obviously he’s young and growing but still Purrington gotta make a better effort than he did 
    He’s a lot taller than 5 10
  • Options
    Purrington the scapegoat. What about Pearce for the first goal? Phillips as well for the second? The entire team not reacting quick enough for their second?
  • Options
    Wish people would fuck off using the term bottlers

They're fucking low on confidence because they're being shafted by referees and injuries every week - Or can someone even fucking well explain how they werent bottling it against Brentford or Leeds!!!
    The team are a massive bunch of bottlers.
    And fans like you are a massive bunch of cunts!!!

Fair weather aint ya... Great when its going well but dont have the guts for battles like this
    Poor defenders who drop too deep in last 20 mins and try to defend the 18 yard box, knowing that when the final ball comes in they will crumble beneath it and hope that Phillips will get them out of jail. Bottlers.
    Of course because you know about the mindset of a pro athlete!!!
    So you are happy with the mindset of a team that concedes 5 goals in added time?
    You don't believe there is a problem there? It's all just back luck is it?
    You HAVE to make the right decisions when it counts. That is bottle in professional sport - when the pressure is really on.

Of course I'm not happy but what your calling the players is bullshit - Why the fuck do you for one second think I'd be happy with conceding in the last minute

I'm frustrated at the referee for giving free-kicks which arent as they're costing us badly!!.. I'm frustrated for the players as you can see by their reactions at Full-Time that they've given their all for nearly the entirety of the game yet ultimately this is Football, its Sport... Players will drop back in the last 20mins because the opposition are forcing them to do s (or do you think its like a stage play where everyone has their part to play, the story is pre-written and Hull were supposed to just come here and have their tummies tickled!!) - Of course Bowyer would make the changes to counter Hull forcing us deep but he cant at the moment can he

Am sorry but the word your using is far too simple a word to describe how they're playing

To say the players have no bottle is to say they're scared of going for the win of managing to hold out

Lack of confidence is what the players are going through, they're fully aware they're conceding last minute goals and will be aware of the potential of a last minute goal happening the moment the injury time board goes up because its happening every week (hell Adam Forshaw admitted as much that players go through that emotion when he was on Quest a few weeks ago)

Yet nor did you answer my question, how can a player have the bottle to see out a game like Brentford or Leeds yet suddenly not have the bottle against Huddersfield or Hull?

Of course its not bottle that we're talking about, players arent robots, they're NOT going to make the right decisions every time

mendonca said:
    I'm worried looking at the league table that we've lost to 3 teams below us recently.
    Agree @ForeverAddickted, absolutely inevitable that Hull would attack and force us back in the last 20 mins, just like we did at Boro last weekend - wave after wave of attacks.
    Oh, hold on.
  • Options
    I would be interested to see how many points we’ve lost from winning positions. Fulham (dropped 2), Cardiff (dropped 2), Swansea (dropped 3), Hull (dropped 2), all just off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more.
  • Options
    Just remembered Bristol City aswell (dropped 3), Nottingham Forest (dropped 2). That’s already 13 points dropped from winning positions. Think there are more too
  • Options
    I would be interested to see how many points we’ve lost from winning positions. Fulham (dropped 2), Cardiff (dropped 2), Swansea (dropped 3), Hull (dropped 2), all just off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more.
    17pts,  2nd to Wigan who've dropped 20, who manged to hang onto a lead against us..... 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Purrington the scapegoat. What about Pearce for the first goal? Phillips as well for the second? The entire team not reacting quick enough for their second?
    I don't think Purrington is being singled out, well not by me anyway. In fact I thought it was a better performance from him than of late but he should have done better with their equaliser. And I agree regarding Pearce and Phillips as per my players marks. 

If someone is worthy of critism however I'll give it and praise likewise as with Sarr and Leko who had good games last night. 
  • Options
    But you don’t add time for every stoppage. If you did, I think you’d need to add 15 minutes to most halves (I remember seeing about 30 minutes is taken up by stoppages of some sort).  Where’s our resident ref to explain when time is supposed to be added?

Time wasting and injuries which made up the 32 seconds I referred to are definitely reasons for adding time. 
    Well they may be, but that's your opinion of how much time you would have added on, assuming you had the ability to count seconds while controlling a professional football match, rather than sitting at home replaying the broadcast. The issues are, as @SomervilleAddick says, was the ref consistent in the way he added the time on throughout the game; and  I am arguing that the responsibility for timekeeping should be taken away from the match ref, and the additional time followed by all in the stadium, with the stadium clock linked to the official who is stopping and re-starting as it happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I have no complaints about the time yesterday but I have long been an advocate of timing games being given to another official. Fans are robbed of football as it stands and time wasting is ugly and not entertaining. It could be eradicated quite easily.

As for the injury time goal. We were in the situation where we knew that we had to defend that last attack from the free kick to win the game. And we didn't. It was a good foul too that led to the free-kick. The sort of foul we needed to make on the Bristol City player a few games back. We just needed to defend it better and even then, Phillips needed to pull off a semi decent save!
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed tonight, I thought the players gave 110 and the atmosphere in the North Upper was the best it's been in a while. I'm fairly confident we'll stay up this season, we just need to get some bodies back.
    Agree completely can’t understand the booing at the end In the upper north,
    We are still playing the kids, Taylor’s return for 15 mins being the only difference, yeah we looked bolloxed for the last 15, because that team has been playing every match, no rotation, no options, Young Mr Pratley doing 90 mins twice a week was never in the plan! 

You can’t fault the 100% effort, no team has battered  us by 3 or 4 even when we’ve not been at it, top half finish easy, have faith. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    though the result has pissed me off i will always have the memory of Sarr starting and finishing a goal that spanned the length of the pitch. when he crossed into final third he had all the serenity of a man out jogging on a Sunday morning in a Parisian park. 
    I bleeding won't as the upper west food concession has such utterly poor staff it took from the stroke of half time when I got in the queue until after our goal to get served so I missed two goals,. Pissed me off more than the result frankly.  How can we employ such utterly incompetent people.
  • Options
    thickandthin63 you are spot on .
    It's obvious the whole team are giving their all.Pleased to see Leko play much better , as on Tuesday some morons were giving him dogs abuse at full-time , and he could hear them . Game management , the modern day term , is what we are lacking atm. Bowyer is doing his best with a very depleted squad , yet it's wrong to fault the players for lack of effort !

Absolutely right
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Don't know how Leko is managing to score some 6's on the player marks. Aside from scoring I'm not sure how much else he could do.
    Edit, only one 6 so far actually, I was seeing things, strange things.
  • Options
    I want to add something I think is important. Although it was probably only a 6.5 game for him, I think Morgan made a massive difference to the team over Tuesday's performance. It sort of feels he is making the step he needs to now.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I don’t think it’s as simple as “not jumping”. The onrushing attacker has more momentum than the defender who is more stationary. It was exactly the same as the Millwall winner where Sarr got pelters for not jumping but Smith was motoring in with all the momentum (and extra height). To see another example, look at Pratley’s goal last night. The Hull fans could be asking why their defender didn’t outjump Pratley, but Pratley had the forward momentum which is what gives the person attacking the ball the edge in such situations.
    The Pratley goal was down to their ineffective zonal marking where their player was static, Purrington was on the move until the ball came in. Sarr at Millwall v Smih and v Nuhiu of Sheffield Wed should have shown more aggression and attacked those crosses.
    I can see Evesham's point. I's much harder to jump effectively from a standing start than it is when you're motoring in.
  • Options
    What a horrible ending for the team, they gave everything, just hoping we can see a more full strength side before to long. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    RedChaser said:
    The Pratley goal was down to their ineffective zonal marking where their player was static, Purrington was on the move until the ball came in. Sarr at Millwall v Smih and v Nuhiu of Sheffield Wed should have shown more aggression and attacked those crosses.
    I can see Evesham's point. I's much harder to jump effectively from a standing start than it is when you're motoring in.
    Oh so can I but the examples he gave shouldn't have been from a standing position except the Hull defender which is the downside of zonal marking.
  • Options

They're fucking low on confidence because they're being shafted by referees and injuries every week - Or can someone even fucking well explain how they werent bottling it against Brentford or Leeds!!!

Fair weather aint ya... Great when its going well but dont have the guts for battles like this
    Poor defenders who drop too deep in last 20 mins and try to defend the 18 yard box, knowing that when the final ball comes in they will crumble beneath it and hope that Phillips will get them out of jail. Bottlers.
    So you are happy with the mindset of a team that concedes 5 goals in added time?
    You HAVE to make the right decisions when it counts. That is bottle in professional sport - when the pressure is really on.

Of course I'm not happy but what your calling the players is bullshit - Why the fuck do you for one second think I'd be happy with conceding in the last minute

I'm frustrated at the referee for giving free-kicks which arent as they're costing us badly!!.. I'm frustrated for the players as you can see by their reactions at Full-Time that they've given their all for nearly the entirety of the game yet ultimately this is Football, its Sport... Players will drop back in the last 20mins because the opposition are forcing them to do s (or do you think its like a stage play where everyone has their part to play, the story is pre-written and Hull were supposed to just come here and have their tummies tickled!!) - Of course Bowyer would make the changes to counter Hull forcing us deep but he cant at the moment can he

Am sorry but the word your using is far too simple a word to describe how they're playing

To say the players have no bottle is to say they're scared of going for the win of managing to hold out

Lack of confidence is what the players are going through, they're fully aware they're conceding last minute goals and will be aware of the potential of a last minute goal happening the moment the injury time board goes up because its happening every week (hell Adam Forshaw admitted as much that players go through that emotion when he was on Quest a few weeks ago)

Yet nor did you answer my question, how can a player have the bottle to see out a game like Brentford or Leeds yet suddenly not have the bottle against Huddersfield or Hull?

Of course its not bottle that we're talking about, players arent robots, they're NOT going to make the right decisions every time

mendonca said:
    I'm worried looking at the league table that we've lost to 3 teams below us recently.
    Agree @ForeverAddickted, absolutely inevitable that Hull would attack and force us back in the last 20 mins, just like we did at Boro last weekend - wave after wave of attacks.
    Oh, hold on.
    Nice of you to continue avoiding why they werent bottlers against Brentford or Leeds...
  • Options

mendonca said:
    Oh, hold on.
    Nice of you to continue avoiding why they werent bottlers against Brentford or Leeds...
    We could have concede 10 against Leeds, but good for us that we contrived not to gift them a last second equaliser as we have done 4/5/6 times since. (sorry I lost count)
    I watched the Boro defeat, so they are going to have to do more to impress me than earn 1 point from home games to Huddersfield and Hull. Good for you if you are happy with that haul.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Woke up feeling much better about the performance than I did last night. A million times the effort and skill than Tuesday. It’s just frustrating that there is a familiar pattern happening and we need to learn fast. Least with Taylor and Williams coming back for a busy Christmas period, I feel better than I did earlier in the week.