Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    I was looking to see if someone Kent's West Indian, Bernard Julien, was perhaps caught by Alan Knott off Derek Underwood's bowling and couldn't help noticing what a tail England had at that time:

8 Derek Underwood (Test average 11.56 & HS 45*)
    9 Mike Selvey (7.50 & 5*) 
    10 Pat Pocock (6.24 & 33)
    11 Mike Hendrick (6.40 & 15)

Selvey had the best First Class average of that lot at 12.65 and Underwood had the highest individual First Class score of 111 - the only one to have a ton of any description to his name.

To think we've had a tail recently of Moeen Ali (First Class average 36.72), Woakes (34.24), Broad (19.53) and Anderson (9.63). Broad has a HS Test score of 169 to his name (albeit that he is a shadow of his former self now) and Anderson has hit a Test 50.

When batsmen were batsmen and bowlers were bowlers!
    If you can look it up at no cost it might be worth checking Asif and Shep given that Underwood, Knott, MC Cowdrey and possibly Lucky and Denness were around.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I was looking to see if someone Kent's West Indian, Bernard Julien, was perhaps caught by Alan Knott off Derek Underwood's bowling and couldn't help noticing what a tail England had at that time:

Selvey had the best First Class average of that lot at 12.65 and Underwood had the highest individual First Class score of 111 - the only one to have a ton of any description to his name.

To think we've had a tail recently of Moeen Ali (First Class average 36.72), Woakes (34.24), Broad (19.53) and Anderson (9.63). Broad has a HS Test score of 169 to his name (albeit that he is a shadow of his former self now) and Anderson has hit a Test 50.

If you can look it up at no cost it might be worth checking Asif and Shep given that Underwood, Knott, MC Cowdrey and possibly Lucky and Denness were around.
    I have succeeded in finding one:

3rd Test 10th-15th July 1969 at Headingly

J N Shepherd caught Knott bowled Underwood 0

Wasn't Shep's game with the bat - this was a 2nd innings duck and he was absent hurt for the 1st. He didn't bowl in England's 2nd innings presumably because of the injury but had returned figures of 24-8-43-3 in the 1st.

As Shep played 15 years for us, was President of Kent and on the Committee I think we can rule that he is a bona fide overseas exempt Kent player for the purpose of this exercise!
    impeccable research ((:>)
  • Options
    Anderson out for rest of series.
  • Options
    Charltonised 
  • Options
    at his age I am not surprised .. I guess he'll be brought back for the first test this English summer and periodically from then on, until he breaks down completely
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I have succeeded in finding one:

3rd Test 10th-15th July 1969 at Headingly

J N Shepherd caught Knott bowled Underwood 0

Wasn't Shep's game with the bat - this was a 2nd innings duck and he was absent hurt for the 1st. He didn't bowl in England's 2nd innings presumably because of the injury but had returned figures of 24-8-43-3 in the 1st.

As Shep played 15 years for us, was President of Kent and on the Committee I think we can rule that he is a bona fide overseas exempt Kent player for the purpose of this exercise!

Lovely man Shep
  • Options
    That's "I've only got a bouncer in my locker" Archer back in then. 
  • Options
    "... oh, and a World Cup winner's medal"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    at his age I am not surprised .. I guess he'll be brought back for the first test this English summer and periodically from then on, until he breaks down completely
    Sri Lanka..?
  • Options
    Both Jofra and Wood might be fit for the next Test anyway, so Jimmy's injury does avoid the need for an awkward selection decision...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Sri Lanka..?
    doubt he'll be 'fit' .. might go there for  nice holiday
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    "... oh, and a World Cup winner's medal"
    This is a Test Series though...
  • Options
    What an amazing game between Ireland and the WIndies. WI won by one wicket on what would have been the penultimate ball. Before that the longest wait I've ever seen on a possible run out and a moment of madness on the next ball. Surely the most incredible game since England beat New Zealand.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    What an amazing game between Ireland and the WIndies. WI won by one wicket on what would have been the penultimate ball. Before that the longest wait I've ever seen on a possible run out and a moment of madness on the next ball. Surely the most incredible game since England beat New Zealand.
    As an avid Ireland fan, I'm gutted we lost. Run out decision was completely the correct call - nothing "conclusive" and it looked like Adair broke it with his hands.

As for the madness... Ohhh man. I've never really rated Adair that highly and I think there are better options with both bat and ball (Getkate for instance), and yesterday he frustrated me there.

Still, proves we can compete.
  • Options
    I'm not an Ireland fan and only watched last night because it happened to be on. I wanted them to win because I like an underdog and I was absolutely gripped.  When they got those three wickets in the middle of the innings it looked like they were really on course to do it. Then Pierre and Walsh put on a magnificent partnership to swing it the other way. Ireland gained hope when they went. Cottrell, who looked so vulnerable, then spanked a six to win it. Thrilling stuff. Whoever lost that one would have been gutted; really feel for the Irish.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm not an Ireland fan and only watched last night because it happened to be on. I wanted them to win because I like an underdog and I was absolutely gripped.  When they got those three wickets in the middle of the innings it looked like they were really on course to do it. Then Pierre and Walsh put on a magnificent partnership to swing it the other way. Ireland gained hope when they went. Cottrell, who looked so vulnerable, then spanked a six to win it. Thrilling stuff. Whoever lost that one would have been gutted; really feel for the Irish.
    perhaps a cynical response .. but, the game reflected the steep decline in Windies cricket rather than a quantum leap forward for Irish cricket .. good game though 
  • Options
    Just one bowling spell each for @JofraArcher & @MAWood33 in the nets today as they try to prove their fitness for the 3rd Test. Wood looked close to full fitness, Archer still not 100% after his elbow problem. 

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/51103919

Jack Leach has been sent home to recover 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloody hell thats a really unpleasant set of illnesses, on top of his Crohn’s disease. Get well soon leachy!
  • Options
    It was reported in the evening standard that there was an "interesting" period in the nets yesterday when Archer was batting and Stokes had to intervene and tell him to take it seriously. 

He's definitely a character that will need managing and i am not sure we have got it right yet....
  • Options
    Australia chased down India's 255 without losing a wicket and with more than 12 overs to spare.

Kohli will not be a happy man tonight!
  • Options
    Australia chased down India's 255 without losing a wicket and with more than 12 overs to spare.

Kohli will not be a happy man tonight!
    I bet he called his players a bunch of Wankhede...
  • Options
    The match was in Mumbai , result known in advance 
  • Options
    It was reported in the evening standard that there was an "interesting" period in the nets yesterday when Archer was batting and Stokes had to intervene and tell him to take it seriously. 

He's definitely a character that will need managing and i am not sure we have got it right yet....
    He seems to hold himself back when bowling as well.
    He is capable of bowling 90 plus but only seems to do it When he wants. 
    Wood on the other hand seems to bust a gut whenever he bowls. 
    Archer is a fantastic talent I just hope we can keep getting the best out of him.
  • Options

He seems to hold himself back when bowling as well.
    He is capable of bowling 90 plus but only seems to do it When he wants. 
    Wood on the other hand seems to bust a gut whenever he bowls. 
    Archer is a fantastic talent I just hope we can keep getting the best out of him.
    Exactly this. I do wonder if part of the holding himself back while bowling thing is partly down to roots management. Hes worries that hes gonna have to bowl a lot of hard overs so is keeping something in the tank. 

Imo he needs to be used better within test matches. Especially in a 5 man attack.
  • Options
    Since Jofra Archer made his debut, there have been 66 pace bowlers used in Test cricket. 

Of those, Archer is fifth in the list of wicket takers, taken more wickets than any other England player, has better best-bowling figures (6/45) than all but Bumrah, better match bowling figures (8/85) than any other England player and has taken more five-wicket hauls than anyone. 

I think Archer, Root and the team management are doing a better job than a lot of people give them credit for. 
  • Options
    In a five  man attack I would tell Archer he is only going to bowl in five over spells.
    But in those spells I want  him to give everything. 
    No jogging in and bowling in the low 80s. 
  • Options
    In a five  man attack I would tell Archer he is only going to bowl in five over spells.
    But in those spells I want  him to give everything. 
    No jogging in and bowling in the low 80s. 
    Do you mean as one of five seamers?