Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    I've criticised Roots captaincy in the past but credit where it's due he got it bang on today.
    Root on the leg slip position (Jimmy) that drew a wicket next ball:

"I can't take credit for that, that was down to Stuart"
  • Options
    Stokes: "I thought Dom put all the hard yards in. He should be the one up here. Full credit should go to him."
  • Options
    seems like it needs a metaphorical hammering from the fans and media to get this lot motivated .. great all round team performance, lets hope the standard stays high for the rest of the SA leg and into the Sri L series
  • Options
    I've got to go and pick up the grandkids in 5 minutes. 
    Come on England 
    They’ll have to fend for themselves for a bit. Don’t move! 
    So what did I miss ? 😣
  • Options
    seems like it needs a metaphorical hammering from the fans and media to get this lot motivated .. great all round team performance, lets hope the standard stays high for the rest of the SA leg and into the Sri L series
    England seem to have a shocking record at the start of series, especially away from home where they go into the First Test completely under cooked, but then the preparation for this series was especially shambolic
  • Options
    You can't beat Test Cricket.
    Greatest sport in the world 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've criticised Roots captaincy in the past but credit where it's due he got it bang on today.
    Root on the leg slip position (Jimmy) that drew a wicket next ball:

"I can't take credit for that, that was down to Stuart"
    Take your point but a) it wasn't just that one thing that he did well today. There were loads of instances in the field and managing bowlers in the middle session (esp with Anderson missing) so that we had quick to bowl when the ball was reversing in the evening.

b) it happened under his captaincy so he is ultimately responsible for it. I'm sure senior players suggest weird stuff to him all the time particularly in that situation. It's up to him to decided which ones to go with. 

c) he takes the rap when it goes badly so he gets the praise when it goes well.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    News of the death of the five-day game has been greatly exaggerated!

Test cricket at its finest. Brilliant match all round and credit to both sides.

Arise Sir Ben!

Odds?
  • Options
    You can beat a ball with a bat and a bat with a ball though 😁
  • Options
    Don’t get me wrong I love a bit of cricket as much as anyone but my family in San Diego described it as “aristocratic baseball but less happens” when I took them to the Oval 
  • Options
    Don’t get me wrong I love a bit of cricket as much as anyone but my family in San Diego described it as “aristocratic baseball but less happens” when I took them to the Oval 
    The Americans created baseball because they never had the intelligence to play cricket. 
    Not your family obviously .
  • Options
    Spot on canters  me old Surrey mucker 
  • Options
    The Americans created baseball because they never had the intelligence to play cricket. 
    Not your family obviously .
    Americans are obsessed with baseball and, those who have experienced it, pretend cricket is a poorer game.  

I think this is in part because they still think that the lesser of those two sports is somehow "theirs" and that they invented it.  But, of course, both cricket and baseball were popularised in England a long, long time before the United States was created.  

Ask any Derby County fan. 
  • Options
    As it happens - I love both cricket and baseball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find it hard to believe that a baseball fan would find T20 cricket slow and boring.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that a baseball fan would find T20 cricket slow and boring.
    Should have taken them to T20
  • Options
    Should have taken them to T20
    Leicestershire v Durham on a cold and damp Friday evening at Grace Road will whet their appetite.

Once they've sampled that, baseball will pale into insignificance ...
  • Options
    De Koch caught Crawley bowled Denly 

Who would have said that at Kent a year ago?

By all accounts, the last time two Kent players were involved in a Test wicket was over 23 years ago. Mind you, it was as fine a victim as you could wish to snare:

Trent Bridge 1996 England v India

Sachin Tendulkar caught Min Patel bowled Mark Ealham

To put the wicket in perspective, the Indian legend did manage to get 177 off 360 balls!

• Options
    WasAddick Addict said:

By all accounts, the last time two Kent players were involved in a Test wicket was over 23 years ago. Mind you, it was as fine a victim as you could wish to snare:

To put the wicket in perspective, the Indian legend did manage to get 177 off 360 balls!

Was it a pie like Denlys , sh.. gets wickets  ! 
  • Options
    I have been to a couple of baseball games in the States that were pretty dire.
  • Options

Does Bridgetown March 1998 count for two Kent players involved in a Test wicket?

WI v England, 5th Test

Dean Headley  c Roland Holder b Carl Hooper  ;)

There may be other occasions after that one but Carl Hooper was the first Kentish overseas player I thought of playing against England!
  • Options

Does Bridgetown March 1998 count for two Kent players involved in a Test wicket?

WI v England, 5th Test

Dean Headley  c Roland Holder b Carl Hooper  ;)

There may be other occasions after that one but Carl Hooper was the first Kentish overseas player I thought of playing against England!

Lord's Test, 1981 

Bob Woolmer, lbw Alderman 9
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Overseas players are more of a grey area for me, the way they come and go and can play for several counties and franchises, but last November in the 2nd Test in New Zealand

Denly c Watling b Henry 4