Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Xmas Threads 2019 - Christmas Dinner

edited December 2019 in Not Sports Related

Come on Deliah's, let’s be having you...

Whats going on your plate?
What meat / meat substitute and what trimmings?
Home or elsewhere?
Whose doing the cooking?
Who has a starter? What will it be?

Seperate and far more popular thread will run for boozing...

Comments

• Whats going on your plate? 
    Turkey
    Beef
    Pigs in Blankets
    Roast potatoes
    Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Sage & Onion Stuffing

Home or elsewhere? Home
    Whose doing the cooking? Me
    Who has a starter? What will it be? No starter
  • Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.
  • Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

For those that do go out, is it still the same? does it still have that Christmas feel?

• edited December 2019
    Gammon cooked in coke
    Nut roast
    Roast potatoes
    Pigs in blankets
    Yorkshire puddings
    Carrots 
    Broccoli
    Sprouts
    Gravy

Probably find the cranberry sauce from last year at the back of the fridge n all

Christmas pudding and tinned custard for pudding, though probably several hours after the main course and after a collosal dump

At home, and I'm cooking it! 

Edit: the food that is, not the dump
  • I love cooking the Christmas dinner, with a few beers along the way. First year I'll be doing it in our all singing, all dancing, new kitchen.

Turkey, spuds, parsnips with honey and mustard glaze, broccoli, beans, sprouts with pancetta in masala wine, pigs in blankets, stuffing, Yorkshires, plus a red cabbage dish that I prepare a couple of days beforehand.

Don't normally bother with starter and finish it off with Christmas pud, cream & brandy butter.

• Going to the Chaser Inn in Shipbourne for Christmas lunch. Sod all that getting up early, preparing the veg, ruining the turkey and having to wash up. £80 per head is money well spent, IMO 
  • No starter, crisps and honey roasted peanuts at lunchtime will do...

Will have

Turkey
    Gammon (cooked the night before)
    pigs
    (Quorn 'roast' for the veggies)
    stuffing
    roast pots
    parsnips
    carrots
    broccoli
    white cabbage
    sprouts
    yorkshire pud
    gravy

xmas pud & mince pie  / custard
    Cheesecake & cream

Asda After8s

that's got me dribbling already!! bring it on

• edited December 2019
    I am cooking for five.
    Champagne
    Fresh squeezed Orange Juice
    Fresh fruit salad
    Nut roast and veggie gravy with roast potato cooked in oil
    Sprouts. Broccolli. Carrots. Cauliflower maybe peas, probably with a nice Chianti
    Christmas pudding with cream. Mince pies
    Clearing up.
    More wine

Nothing outlandish

•  Anyone who’s put Yorkshire pudding should receive an automatic 10 day ban from this site!
    Agreed!
  • Sponsored links:

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

For those that do go out, is it still the same? does it still have that Christmas feel?

Good question, we have done it before in a local restaurant and it felt odd knowing I lived just round the corner, however being in Cornwall really gives the feel we are away so it is better. Where we are staying this year has a Santa's grotto for the kids on Christmas Eve, rides on real reindeer, and other activities so the kids are well catered for.

It has a small swimming pool complex as well so I will take the grand kids swimming Christmas morning which is nice after they have opened their presents.  

The meal has the same feel and to be honest it is nice to sit down and relax and be waited on as me and my wife normally flop into a chair round our our table having cooked for 5 hours whilst the family arrive.

We could not do it every year but every now and again goes down well.  

• Going to my fave local restaurant for the first time at Christmas. Cannot bloody wait.

• going to a friends house, we were originally going to my sisters but they hijacked it and there's about 25 of us going.

woody has bought 4 of these bad boys apparently and is cooking it all on them (bit apprehensive if i'm honest)

Good question, we have done it before in a local restaurant and it felt odd knowing I lived just round the corner, however being in Cornwall really gives the feel we are away so it is better. Where we are staying this year has a Santa's grotto for the kids on Christmas Eve, rides on real reindeer, and other activities so the kids are well catered for.

It has a small swimming pool complex as well so I will take the grand kids swimming Christmas morning which is nice after they have opened their presents.  

The meal has the same feel and to be honest it is nice to sit down and relax and be waited on as me and my wife normally flop into a chair round our our table having cooked for 5 hours whilst the family arrive.

We could not do it every year but every now and again goes down well.  

ok, you've convinced my @eaststandmike

ring the restaurant and set up another 4 places, i'm packing my speedos :-)

• edited December 2019
    @AFKABartram I used to do the Quorn roast but it is a bit of a faff and lengthy
    Check with your veggie people,  but you can get a choice of two good nut roasts in Lidl which is a matter of pierce the top and shove in the oven no actual work needed. Works with gravy. Get a couple they're about £3 each.
  • Two things that won't be on my plate are bread sauce and suet pudding.

When I went to my nans for Christmas dinner years ago this was standard. 

My wife and her family (who we inevitably spend Christmas day with) think they are both weird things to have at Christmas.

I had always put it down to them being from the west country and not understanding what's eaten in South London (my nan was from Bermondsey).

But as no-one on here has mentioned so far, maybe it was just our family that was weird?
  • Breakfast - Mrs will do the usual smoked salmon and scrambled eggs in the morning and she'll no doubt be getting on the champagne at this point.

Diner - Prawn cocktail, as far as I know, to start, then the plan from last year was for me to do a bird in a bird roast, using our own reared turkey, chicken, quail, possibly fresh shot pheasant and pigeon, but because it's been another one of those years, the turkeys and quails never got started off and I've also not met my deadline of getting our new kitchen done, so we're just going traditional with simple turkey and maybe one of our home grown chickens, with all the usual trimmings - pigs in blankets, stuffing etc... All veg also been home grown by friends and me mum. 

Dessert - Something from the patisserie I think

I'll be making my usual black pudding scotch eggs and other sides / finger food to have over the festive period an all.
  • Breakfast - Mrs will do the usual smoked salmon and scrambled eggs in the morning and she'll no doubt be getting on the champagne at this point.

Diner - Prawn cocktail, as far as I know, to start, then the plan from last year was for me to do a bird in a bird roast, using our own reared turkey, chicken, quail, possibly fresh shot pheasant and pigeon, but because it's been another one of those years, the turkeys and quails never got started off and I've also not met my deadline of getting our new kitchen done, so we're just going traditional with simple turkey and maybe one of our home grown chickens, with all the usual trimmings - pigs in blankets, stuffing etc... All veg also been home grown by friends and me mum. 

Dessert - Something from the patisserie I think

I'll be making my usual black pudding scotch eggs and other sides / finger food to have over the festive period an all.
    lovely
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't  eat breakfast due to intermittent fasting, but might give it a miss for Christmas and have scrambled eggs and salmon on a bagel.

For lunch we're going to a local Italian place for a traditional Italian christmas, although word is going around that restaurants have been banned from putting up Christmas trees & decorations, so that's gonna kill the mood a little.

I'm with you AFKA got to be at a home , whether family or your own .

2 years ago in a hotel in Melbourne , on a chuff beach Christmas morning , boreoff everyone(there was 20 off us, family and friends) it's shit weather grey and miserable (like me) 

This year going to mates chalet in Meribel , once again of course it's idyllic skiing on Christmas day , snow and all that bollox and I know how lucky we are but it's not home and with my family who i can slag off without feeling guilty and i'm missing Boxing day footy  !
    This is what happens when you're a weak individual who can't cook and does whatever the mrs says .
  • edited December 2019
    Mum pushing boat out for eight of us at a Riverside hotel.

Prawn cocktail
    Beef
    Xmas pud.
  • Not sure yet but it will be a) at home b) plentiful c) I won’t be thirsty
  • No starter, crisps and honey roasted peanuts at lunchtime will do...

Will have

Turkey
    Gammon (cooked the night before)
    pigs
    (Quorn 'roast' for the veggies)
    stuffing
    roast pots
    parsnips
    carrots
    broccoli
    white cabbage
    sprouts
    yorkshire pud
    gravy

xmas pud & mince pie  / custard
    Cheesecake & cream

Asda After8s

that's got me dribbling already!! bring it on

HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOT THE PICKLED BEETROOT???

Am i the only one that will have pickled beetroot with their Xmas roast?
  • we are round my mums this year.
    will be lots of food, a lot that I dont eat, but I will be eating:

meat: turkey plus one other.
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast potatoes in goose fat
    Yorkshire pudding - food Nazis can piss off with their 'you can only have Yorkshire puds with roast beef' bollocks.
    Stuffing
    gravy

Xmas pudding with custard, plus one of the other deserts on offer.