Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Xmas Threads 2019 - Christmas Dinner

Comments

• Options

No starter, crisps and honey roasted peanuts at lunchtime will do...

Will have

Turkey
    Gammon (cooked the night before)
    pigs
    (Quorn 'roast' for the veggies)
    stuffing
    roast pots
    parsnips
    carrots
    broccoli
    white cabbage
    sprouts
    yorkshire pud
    gravy

xmas pud & mince pie  / custard
    Cheesecake & cream

Asda After8s

that's got me dribbling already!! bring it on

HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOT THE PICKLED BEETROOT???

Am i the only one that will have pickled beetroot with their Xmas roast?
    probably.

I'd eat it if it was there but I've never had/seen it with a Christmas dinner before 
  • Options
    Turkey, pigs in blankets, duck fat roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, honey roast parsnips, pigs in blankets, sausage meat stuffing, pigs in blankets, peas and carrots, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets, meat juice gravy.

Don't know who's cooking yet as I'm having a knee op Monday I just know it won't be me.

Changed jobs this year and it will be the first Christmas Day I wont be working for 20 years!!!!
    What job were you doing @Chef_addick ?

• Options
     Anyone who’s put Yorkshire pudding should receive an automatic 10 day ban from this site!
    Always have Yorkshire Pudding 
  • Options

Will have

Turkey
    pigs
    stuffing
    roast pots
    parsnips
    carrots
    broccoli
    white cabbage
    sprouts
    yorkshire pud
    gravy

Cheesecake & cream

Asda After8s

Never tried it. Sounds nice actually. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

@AFKABartram in Christmas dig at @Redmidland shocker! ;)
    5 years ago, I was eating Christmas dinner in hospital due to my Heart packing up!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

5 years ago, I was eating Christmas dinner in hospital due to my Heart packing up!
    Condemned to history, Red :)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Feck was that 5 years ago? 
    Still 137 is a feckin good age matey. x ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

Feck was that 5 years ago? 
    Still 137 is a feckin good age matey. x ;)
    You're a cheeky young whippersnapper @TCE, still even though I'm a little older than what you are, I still look better and younger!!! LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back to the OP.

Christmas Day for me will start with orange juice or Orange juice and Prosecco, toast and pork pie. Don’t know why the pork pie bit family tradition.

before then on Christmas Eve got a decent 4lb unsmoked game on the nine to do for the evening meal.

christmas day lunch it’s:
    goose
    chicken
    pots
    yorkshires
    savoy cabbage with lardons
    sprouts (also with bacon)
    cauli
    fabcy broccoli for the adults and normal broccoli for the kids
    roast parsnips
    carrots (prob boiled rather than roasted due to oven space

That’ll be cooked by the Missus with me complaining about how she is doing it all the way through, 

Puddings more Likely to be bought than made. 
  • Options
    Turkey, pigs in blankets, duck fat roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, honey roast parsnips, pigs in blankets, sausage meat stuffing, pigs in blankets, peas and carrots, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets, meat juice gravy.

Don't know who's cooking yet as I'm having a knee op Monday I just know it won't be me.

Changed jobs this year and it will be the first Christmas Day I wont be working for 20 years!!!!
    it's one of these you're after chef 

• Options
    Doing venison wellington this year using locally sourced loin fillet from Machin's in Henley. Spectacular dish with a bit of port sauce, which can be made the day before and just takes half an hour on the day.
    Little Miss Idle would live on roast potatoes if she could, so there will be a mountain of those, then the usual carrots, honey roast parsnips, roast broccoli, stir fried chopped sprouts. Biggest problem is usually oven capacity.
    There will be a very good bottle of red, probably a Batailley 2004, to be slipped slowly with lunch and all afternoon (I'm the only one who drinks it)

I love Chrstmas pudding, but am always too full after lunch, so second course will probably be something lighter, such as a trifle, once i have consulted with the other diners. Christmas pudding will be for boxing day after a long dog walk.

• Options
    going to a friends house, we were originally going to my sisters but they hijacked it and there's about 25 of us going.

woody has bought 4 of these bad boys apparently and is cooking it all on them (bit apprehensive if i'm honest)

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"
  • Options
    IdleHans, as an ex-Henley resident, Machins is unrecognisable from the 19th century butcher I remember. Do you know the Bird in Hand, just through the car park? One of the country's great pubs. Graham is a true gent.
  • Options

Will have

Turkey
    pigs
    stuffing
    roast pots
    parsnips
    carrots
    broccoli
    white cabbage
    sprouts
    yorkshire pud
    gravy

Cheesecake & cream

Asda After8s

yep, I'd imagine you're the only one, that's a bit weird

No idea what I'll be eating, going to my brother in law's and I don't know what he'll make but he's a great cook so I'll just eat whatever appears in front of me
  • Options
    Just the two of us so the traditional (for us)

sausage (Mr T from local butcher, me vegan ones)
    Eggs - from outside
    chips 
    beans

followed by Xmas pud 
  • Options

Eggs - from outside
    chips 
    beans

followed by Xmas pud 
    Nothing green?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Eggs - from outside
    chips 
    beans

followed by Xmas pud 
    Nothing green?
    No!
  • Options

Eggs - from outside
    chips 
    beans

followed by Xmas pud 
    Intrigued. Don’t like roast dinners? Bad memories of Xmas? 

Feel free to tell me to mind my own (and open the question to anyone doing similar)...just interested why you’d choose to have an every day dinner on xmas day (unless you were spending it alone, working shifts etc)?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Eggs - from outside
    chips 
    beans

followed by Xmas pud 
     And for the main?
  • Options

Smoked salmon, horseradish cream, dill (caesar salad with herby croutons for veggies)

Roasted pheasant breast (Mushroom stroganoff for veggies)

Roasted Brussels, chestnuts

Carrots, parsnips with harissa 

Sweet potato mash, lime salsa

Minted peas

Red cabbage, fennel, apple, balsamic 

Cheese lots of for afters

I’m cooking at home with an endless large glass of Pinot Noir 

• Options

Eggs - from outside
    chips 
    beans

followed by Xmas pud 

Smoked salmon, horseradish cream, dill (caesar salad with herby croutons for veggies)

Roasted pheasant breast (Mushroom stroganoff for veggies)

Roasted Brussels, chestnuts

Carrots, parsnips with harissa 

Sweet potato mash, lime salsa

Minted peas

Red cabbage, fennel, apple, balsamic 

Cheese lots of for afters

I’m cooking at home with an endless large glass of Pinot Noir 

A tale of two dinners.
  • Options
    IdleHans, as an ex-Henley resident, Machins is unrecognisable from the 19th century butcher I remember. Do you know the Bird in Hand, just through the car park? One of the country's great pubs. Graham is a true gent.
    I live in Wargrave but for a pub trail Henley is hard to beat, and The Bird in Hand is a central feature of that. Though I do like the Angel on the Bridge out of tourist season.
    As for Machins, I don't remember the Victorian style but I still find the service very good, and the quality  is outstanding compared even to Waitrose. If I'm doing proper cooking, the meat always comes from them.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Bacon sarnies for breakfast once we’ve done prezzies. 
    For dinner, Turkey, pigs in blankets, home made stuffing (sausage meat, onions herbs), paxo stuffing (Mrs SB loves it), roast spuds, potato croquets, deep fried breaded cauliflower, sprouts, tinned carrots (a tradition thing), gravy, Yorkshire pud. Peas & sweetcorn, bread sauce. 
    For dessert a home made sherry concoction that involves dipping choc chip cookies in sherry then sticking them together with jam and covering with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Leave it for 24 hours and it turns into this brilliant sherry trifle cake thing. Really yum and dead easy. 

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Stuffed turkey crown
    gammon glazed in mango chutney 
    pigs in blankets 
    roasties
    honey glazed parsnips 
    carrots 
    peas
    red cabbage 
    yorkshire pud

Christmas pudding with custard

no starters this year as struggled the last couple of years to get through it all
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Stuffed turkey crown
    gammon glazed in mango chutney 
    pigs in blankets 
    roasties
    honey glazed parsnips 
    carrots 
    peas
    red cabbage 
    yorkshire pud

Christmas pudding with custard

no starters this year as struggled the last couple of years to get through it all
    What time are we sitting down and is it ok if I bring brandy sauce for my Chrisrmas pudding 😉.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    we are round my mums this year.
    will be lots of food, a lot that I dont eat, but I will be eating:

meat: turkey plus one other.
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast potatoes in goose fat
    Yorkshire pudding - food Nazis can piss off with their 'you can only have Yorkshire puds with roast beef' bollocks.
    Stuffing
    gravy

Xmas pudding with custard, plus one of the other deserts on offer.

A roast isn't a roast without yorkshire pudding.