Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Xmas Threads 2019 - Christmas Dinner

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Never had bread sauce in my life
    I’ve never had cranberry with shits on it.
  • Options
    Never had bread sauce in my life
    Me neither, I don't like the sound of it to be honest.
  • Options
    Bread sauce is like white lumpy custard for turkey. My mum used to do it. I couldn't really see the point, but it was nice enough. Getting it right is all about the spices (nutmeg, cloves and peppercorns) otherwise it's just milky goop.

• Options
    Very entertaining.

The English talk about food the way Israelis talk about peace.

They say all the right things...
  • Options
    You have to have bread sauce on Christmas dinner.   Very easy to make.  

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2730/bread-sauce

Eating out this year because my Dad cant get up the steps to our house so we will go out for the day, and take him home later.  There are always other reasons why people choose to eat out on Christmas Day and it shouldn't be looked down on.  We ate out all the years that i was living in a flat as I just didn't have the sit down room for dining.  Now I do but now other problems have arisen so we have to go out this year.   
  • Options
    Taking my wife and three kids to my mum's for Christmas Day - it's around an hour's drive and we're not staying the night, so sadly I won't be drinking.

In terms of food, I know she's got a pheasant and some ham. She's a vegetarian though and my kids won't eat it, so it'll pretty much be me having the meat to myself!
  • Options
    At home with the wife cooking. I'll wash up.

Very traditional turkey, stuffing roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussels with bacon, Yorkshire puddings, red cabbage, glazed carrots, gravy, crackers, wine, Christmas pudding for me, cake for others.

Stuffed roast potatoes, might give that a go myself
  • Options
    Our family go over to Welsh Wales and have xmas with my sisters family on the isle of Anglesey. 
    We have xmas dinner in her local pub (the landlady and her family are good friends with ours) and we have a brilliant time, now the kids are grown up I cannot imagine reverting to cooking xmas dinner at home again.

I've ordered traditional - melon balls, turkey followed by xmas pud.
  • Options
    Our family go over to Welsh Wales and have xmas with my sisters family on the isle of Anglesey. 
    We have xmas dinner in her local pub (the landlady and her family are good friends with ours) and we have a brilliant time, now the kids are grown up I cannot imagine reverting to cooking xmas dinner at home again.

Welsh Wales?

What other Wales is there? 
  • Options

Welsh Wales?

there is a village in south yorkshire called Wales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Welsh Wales?

Sperm
  • Options

Welsh Wales?

Ha ha, that's what we called Wales when my old man retired there years ago and it just sort of stuck. However, according the last couple of posts, it appears our nickname is indeed correct ;)
  • Options
    Bread sauce is lovely stuff.

I am the least fussy eater but I cannot stand parsnips. My mum used to try and cut them to look like roast potatoes so I’d eat them, but I knew what she was up too. Awful vegetable.
  • Options

Welsh Wales?

The outlaw Josie
  • Options
    Nice looking eggs. Cooking at home this year. Last few years we’ve gone out for lunch and I think it’s great. Much less stress for women (mostly) and means you can enjoy Christmas Day. After eating being able to get up and walk away from all the clearing up is a godsend. Will probably be eating out again next year. 
  • Options
    Always fearful of injury going into such a big meal with no real eating pre-season, so threw myself into this Toby Carvery monster breakfast this morning. 

Hopefully this good friendly work out will provide dividends come the big game on Wednesday.

Hope that’s not the culinary equivalent of a Tomer Hemed “let’s make up for no preseason” session. If so you’d better look forward to your Easter lunch mate!
  • Options

Welsh Wales?

The Prince of
    The Princess of
  • Options
    Is that a Yorkshire pudding?  With breakfast?!!  You wrongun!

Looks bloody lovely. 
  • Options
    Always fearful of injury going into such a big meal with no real eating pre-season, so threw myself into this Toby Carvery monster breakfast this morning. 

Hopefully this good friendly work out will provide dividends come the big game on Wednesday.

A black pudding short of perfection that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Looks bloody lovely. 
    Soaked up the beans majestically 
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Another Yorkshire pudding! With a fry up FFS!
    Did you put that there to wind me up?

Actually thought at first that this was @Arsenetatters Xmas lunch fair!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Looks bloody lovely. 
    Soaked up the beans majestically 
    baked beans and hash browns have no place in a full English. As for the Yorkshire pudding.....

(does look nice though)
  • Options
    Bit of bubble needed there, otherwise looks great.   :-)
  • Options
    That plate is a perfect microcosm of eating a breakfast out

The chef has had a 50% hit rate with the eggs, one is perfectly sealed to a nice pinky colour which should pop like one of my blisters on my left foot, the other is a snotty monstrosity 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    T_C_E said:
    This will surprise a few, but we'll be exercising our dogs, before two of them will visit a local dementia care home for an hour.
    Then off to our daughters for our Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, fecking love it. 
    My MiL has just died after living with Altzheimers. I know how wonderful these visits are   Bless you. Have w good Christmas X
  • Options
    At home as working.
    Roast Beef
    King eddie spuds
    Pigs in blankets
    Sprouts, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.

Bottle of red, 

wont have too much to drink as have to get up early to start the trip by taxi, bus, tube, bus to get to the game tomorrow.
  • Options
    Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

For those that do go out, is it still the same? does it still have that Christmas feel?

Just got home from ours.  Have done it 5 times out the last 7 Christmases.  It’s not too bad.  I think it’s definitely a thing you do when it’s more adults and no kids.  Me, my old man, mum and my sister.  Did Cutty Sark in Greenwich in 2013, an absolute shag ton of food.  Honor Oak pub 2 years in a row 2014 & 15, then Victoria hotel in Peckham last year, the Signal pub forest Hill this year.  The worst was last year at the Victoria Hotel, Peckham.  Just not value for money 
  • Options
    Just realised where that tweet from AFKA came re: the newspaper.  I pissed myself laughing at that.  Absolute quality.