Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Xmas Threads 2019 - Christmas Dinner

Comments

• Options
    I’m not too sure about the bit about about eating in a home though.
  • Options
    Word of warning if you've bought a whole fresh turkey this year: there was a product recall for some supermarkets due to a quality issue. We (Co-op) had to destroy all ours, and other stores are affected too, but not sure which.  Only affects whole ones, not crowns.
  • Options
    Fame at last @AFKABartram!

Everybody else is talking about the game but we've got our priorities right...

Lucky we weren’t talking about trains 😱
  • Options
    Just the two of us and dog at home with me cooking
    rib of beef
    yorkshires
    Roast spuds
    vegs to be decided

Asfa Christmas pud with cream and custard 

later the Lass’s home made Christmas pud
  • Options
    Love Christmas dinner. But...
    Boxing Day lunch is the best meal:
    Cold turkey 
    Cold beef
    Jacket spuds
    Bubble
    Stuffing
    Pickles
  • Options
    Lol. I thought you would want to know so you can send them your invoice @AFKABartram?

If you haven't seen it before there's a Lifer in there most weeks tbf. Not seen one quite so focussed on where they eat their pickled beetroot before but they are often irreverent and/or funny. I guess you tickled the journos funny bone! 
  • Options
    traditional with all the bits and pieces .. followed by a right good rest ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whatever you're eating/drinking/imbibing, ENJOY it .. Happy Christmas and a prosperous new decade to y'all 
  • Options

WTF???
    Just remember you were addressing my post with the question that has been published, if any royalties are being paid out its a 50/50 split!
  • Options
    What paper is this btw?
  • Options
    That is frigging hilarious!! 
  • Options
    AFKA for the Pulitzer prize.
    Nailed on.
  • Options
    What paper is this btw?
    SAGA Weekly...............For the old and elderly  :)
  • Options
    It's in The i Barts. 
  • Options
    I didn’t realise it was actually real, I thought it was a photoshop jobbie!
  • Options
    What paper is this btw?
     Telegraph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What paper is this btw?
    Bunty?
  • Options
    Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

For those that do go out, is it still the same? does it still have that Christmas feel?

Good question, we have done it before in a local restaurant and it felt odd knowing I lived just round the corner, however being in Cornwall really gives the feel we are away so it is better. Where we are staying this year has a Santa's grotto for the kids on Christmas Eve, rides on real reindeer, and other activities so the kids are well catered for.

It has a small swimming pool complex as well so I will take the grand kids swimming Christmas morning which is nice after they have opened their presents.  

The meal has the same feel and to be honest it is nice to sit down and relax and be waited on as me and my wife normally flop into a chair round our our table having cooked for 5 hours whilst the family arrive.

We could not do it every year but every now and again goes down well.  

Where you staying please that sounds good. Thanks 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

That’s brilliant, Wigan are banging on about who’s playing at centre back, Charlton are debating the ins and outs of eating Christmas dinner anywhere but “a home”! 
    Just glad they didn’t hit on my post-pub, 80s power ballad crying sessions lol :-)
    Yeah that was/is a low point in the history of this site...!
  • Options
    For the 3 meat eaters (and a friend I'll take some round for in the evening):

Turkey
    Gammon
    Lamb
    Pigs in blankets 
    Beef gravy
    Poultry gravy

For the 2 vegetarians
    Puff pastry vegetable pie.

For all:
    Mash
    Roast potatoes
    Yorkshire puddings (deal with it)
    Some veg but only for the vegetarians I think.

In my flat, I'll be cooking but my partner and younger brother will be helping me. 

No starter, looking above I don't think that will be needed. No dessert either. 

• Options
    You’ve got to have a desert man
  • Options
    At home with the wife cooking. I'll wash up.

Very traditional turkey, stuffing roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussels with bacon, Yorkshire puddings, red cabbage, glazed carrots, gravy, crackers, wine, Christmas pudding for me, cake for others.

• Options
    Two things that won't be on my plate are bread sauce and suet pudding.

When I went to my nans for Christmas dinner years ago this was standard. 

My wife and her family (who we inevitably spend Christmas day with) think they are both weird things to have at Christmas.

I had always put it down to them being from the west country and not understanding what's eaten in South London (my nan was from Bermondsey).

But as no-one on here has mentioned so far, maybe it was just our family that was weird?
    Bread Sauce is an essential part of Christmas Dinner. I love it. We always had it as a child and will be having it on Christmas Day.  Never had suet pudding at Christmas though. Nothing weird about it at all!
  • Options
    Christmas Dinner in a restaurant this year as we are away in Cornwall. It will be a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings though and a starter.

Not a criticism of anyone as i know its popular, but i just could not imagine eating Christmas dinner anywhere other than in a 'home'.

For those that do go out, is it still the same? does it still have that Christmas feel?

Good question, we have done it before in a local restaurant and it felt odd knowing I lived just round the corner, however being in Cornwall really gives the feel we are away so it is better. Where we are staying this year has a Santa's grotto for the kids on Christmas Eve, rides on real reindeer, and other activities so the kids are well catered for.

It has a small swimming pool complex as well so I will take the grand kids swimming Christmas morning which is nice after they have opened their presents.  

The meal has the same feel and to be honest it is nice to sit down and relax and be waited on as me and my wife normally flop into a chair round our our table having cooked for 5 hours whilst the family arrive.

We could not do it every year but every now and again goes down well.  

Where you staying please that sounds good. Thanks 
    Hi mate, I have just sent you PM
  • Options
    Bread sauce is amazing.

S**ts on cranberry. 
  • Options
    Never had bread sauce in my life