Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes, we can come through these next three games totally relaxed or in the sh*t again. I think Wednesday is a big game because it is winnable, very winnable and it will determine how we go into the Huddersfield game.  
  • Options
    Doncaster and Blackbirn went down with over 50 pts, one of them had 55 i think ...

usually 45/46 is enough - LB says 50 should do it.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Doncaster and Blackbirn went down with over 50 pts, one of them had 55 i think ...

To the best of my knowledge nobody has gone down with 55 points in the Championship / second tier. Some years ago Millwall went down with 52 or even 53.

EDIT: The Championship record is 54. Peterborough 2012/2013.
  • Options
    I can’t emphasise enough how important it is that several clubs are now in the mix. A couple of weeks ago it looked like it was three from 4 with the third place a shoot out between us and Wigan. Now thanks to recent results there are 8 teams properly in the mix and we have a bit of that precious commodity - momentum!  A two team shoot out is a horribly vulnerable place to be. When five or six or seven (I’m assuming Luton are gone) are involved it is unlikely that they will all get past you. We have five winnable home games and two away games this week from which we can reasonably expect one or two points. Our injured are mostly available apart from the long term crocks and the terminally fragile. It’s in our own hands. If we go down from here we’ll deserve to. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    We also have to take into account that our opponents on Wednesday face a 'severe points deduction'. They have taken legal action against the league which shows how desperate they are. 

I agree with SillyBilly. You don't want to be looking at the teams below you but the teams above you. That is always the way to stay up. Good luck to Barnsley and Wigan if they like us are finding some form. Teams like Boro and Huddersfield and yes, Wednesday, should be shitting themselves. The teams that do that are the ones that drop.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

To the best of my knowledge nobody has gone down with 55 points in the Championship / second tier. Some years ago Millwall went down with 52 or even 53.

That was a mad season, Bristol City last with 41 points, Wolves(!) 2nd last with 51, Posh 3rd bottom with 54

Posh won 15 games that season and still went down. They were only 14 points behind Leicester who came 6th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Football_League_Championship#League_table
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

That was a mad season, Bristol City last with 41 points, Wolves(!) 2nd last with 51, Posh 3rd bottom with 54

Posh won 15 games that season and still went down. They were only 14 points behind Leicester who came 6th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Football_League_Championship#League_table
    that's what happens when the league is tight , which is exactly how it is this year 
  • Options
    It is tight. If you look at our games against the top five, we are unbeaten in 8 this season.
  • Options
    Reckon 45 will keep you up this season, so that's two wins which we're more then good for, think we'll get to 52/55 this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lyle stays fit and we will be ok no problem
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Posh got relegated yet scored more than Hull who got promoted ! 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Reckon 45 will keep you up this season, so that's two wins which we're more then good for, think we'll get to 52/55 this season. 
    I agree we'll wind up with 50 something points. 45 seems a low amount to survive although Hull look shot to bits and may fail to win again this season so may only limp to about 45 points themselves. If they lose to Barnsley I'd imagine their fans will throw in the towel. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Barnsley were good and unlucky at our place since when they have beaten Fulham and Boro. Wigan always seem to find a way. I think Hull are looking incredibly vulnerable. Our game v Boro is vital. If we beat Boro and Wigan at home and can do a number on Hull away it’s hard to see a permutation that’s puts us down. But saying it and doing it are different things. It’s gonna be a fun ride though. Someone could go down with 50 points this season. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Derby and Sheff Wednesday are facing points deductions. If the deductions are the same as Birmingham got last season, they would both be on 36 points. 
  • Options
    Derby and Sheff Wednesday are facing points deductions. If the deductions are the same as Birmingham got last season, they would both be on 36 points. 
    Now that would be a chuckle. 
  • Options
    There can be no risk of a relegation for the God that is Wayne Rooney and a points deduction for Sheffield Wednesday might point the finger at Katrien who was the FA, EFL's whatever it is darling.

It's only clubs like us who get additional punishments for things. REF: Osei Sankofa appeal.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm not sure what is what with Derby but Birmingham got docked points and they were more co-operative than Wednesday and actually pleaded guilty to mitigate the punishment. Considering the similarity of the offences, I think there is a good chance Wednesday will get more than 9 points deducted. It might be the only helpful thing Meire ever did for us :)
  • Options
    The next 6 fixtures for us in Feb and March are all games where we could get points. Even the away games - Wednesday, Huddersfield, Hull and Cardiff hold no fears, the first 3 are struggling while Cardiff have lost Tomlin for 2 months, a key player for them

It would be great to get a decent haul by the end of March, as we then have 3 harder away matches - Brentford, Brum and Leeds plus the inevitable disappointment of a home match against Millwall! It would be lovely to be safe by the time we play Wigan

• Options
    The next 6 fixtures for us in Feb and March are all games where we could get points. Even the away games - Wednesday, Huddersfield, Hull and Cardiff hold no fears, the first 3 are struggling while Cardiff have lost Tomlin for 2 months, a key player for them

It would be great to get a decent haul by the end of March, as we then have 3 harder away matches - Brentford, Brum and Leeds plus the inevitable disappointment of a home match against Millwall! It would be lovely to be safe by the time we play Wigan

You know Charlton ...... nailed on we gather points from Brentford and Leeds.

And it all goes tits up against the clubs who haven't won for months!   

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if Boro or Hull were to replace their managers if their poor runs were to continue - hoping a new manager bounce might help them
    Be a bit harsh on McCann if Hull sack him.

Hi Grant, we know we sold your 2 best players, one of whom was your top scorer and replaced them with a prima donna from league one but despite this we're disappointed you haven't been winning any games. Here's your P45.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    At Christmas Wednesday were 3rd! It is highly likely they are going to get a points deduction and given Birmingham got 9 and co-operated, I would imagine Wednesday are going to get 12 or more. I expect it to be announced about the same time as Birmingham so we would be looking at March. Make no mistakes, we should be treating Wednesday as a relegation six pointer just as much as Huddersfield on Saturday, probably even more so.
  • Options
    All eyes on Huddersfield and Luton tonight. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    A rare case of a match where anything but a 12+ goal win for the udders is good:

Terriers win - roots Luton firmly to the bottom and makes it very hard to escape.
    Hatters win - means Huddersfield need to win at least two games to catch us, almost certainly more.
    Draw - not good enough for either. Probably the best bet overall.
  • Options
    With you there, Stig ...... a draw means dropped points for both Luton and Hudders.

Suits us.

• Options
    Stig said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    A rare case of a match where anything but a 12+ goal win for the udders is good:

Terriers win - roots Luton firmly to the bottom and makes it very hard to escape.
    Hatters win - means Huddersfield need to win at least two games to catch us, almost certainly more.
    No no no. Huddersfield play Bristol and Luton play Brentford. Only five on the bench for Luton. 
  • Options
    Bristol City are bottlejobs so Hudds could get a result
  • Options
    Stig said:
    CH4RLTON said:

You do realise they are not playing each other lol
  • Options
    Bristol City are bottlejobs so Hudds could get a result
    Amazing Bristol are 7th yet have a negative goal difference 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    CH4RLTON said:

No no no. Huddersfield play Bristol and Luton play Brentford. Only five on the bench for Luton. 
    Where u seen that? looks like they named 7 subs to me