Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Off_it said:
    If Sarr is out for two more weeks, I would seriously play Taylor at CB instead of Pearce.  Green and Bonne upfront with Aneke and Davison on bench.
    Lol. Fair play to you mate. We're all feeling a bit down at the moment but that made me laugh.
    I know but when you analyse it, he is big strong quick, good on the ball, can pass, tackle and has a battling mentality. He would probably relish the opportunity to get involved, rather than be isolated upfront  because Pearce won't leave the 18 yard area.  And we have options upfront.

I raise you Arthur Horsefield and Ronnie Moore.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If Sarr is out for two more weeks, I would seriously play Taylor at CB instead of Pearce.  Green and Bonne upfront with Aneke and Davison on bench.
    Lol. Fair play to you mate. We're all feeling a bit down at the moment but that made me laugh.
      And we have options upfront.

We do ? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    OK we'll leave Pearce to handle Asombalonga.  Perhaps someone could crock him early on like last game.
    (Britt not Jason. Although hang on.......)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    OK we'll leave Pearce to handle Asombalonga.  Perhaps someone could crock him early on like last game.
    (Britt not Jason. Although hang on.......)
    What are our other striker options that work so well though? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I know but when you analyse it, he is big strong quick, good on the ball, can pass, tackle and has a battling mentality. He would probably relish the opportunity to get involved, rather than be isolated upfront  because Pearce won't leave the 18 yard area.  And we have options upfront.

I raise you Arthur Horsefield and Ronnie Moore.
    Dion dublin? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Bonne Green Hemed Davison Aneke.

Hemed bereft I know but has scored here and higher. Will do better if midfield is closer to strikers and defence.
  • Options
    Points deduction will save us. 
  • Options
    Think we’ll get it right next sat. Valley rocking. 
  • Options
    Taylor may well have it in him to play at centre back. Against Luton last week he made the best clearance of the first half (possibly all match), he's determined, a battler and he can win a ball. But here's the thing: he is by a long long way our best forward. He's our top goalscorer, he can hold the ball up and he has the vision to bring others into play. We absolutely need him to be at the other end of the pitch. With his goals and attacking vision we might manage to stay up, without them we'll sink without trace.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    One thing is certain: Boro will get a result vs Forest. Every time we need someone to do us a favour, it just doesn't happen.
  • Options
    We're done. 

Time to start planning for next season. 

• Options
    edited March 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Wigan have moved to 5/1 to be relegated now

Latest with 365

Luton 1/5
    Barnsley 1/3
    Charlton 13/8
    Middlesbrough 11/4
    Hull 10/3
    Wigan 5/1
    Huddersfield 8/1
    Birmingham 8/1
    Derby 8/1
    Sheffield Wednesday 8/1
    Stoke 10/1
    Bookies don't get it wrong often.
    They do though. They get it wrong repeatedly over the course of the season. Wigan were going down instead of us two weeks ago, so one of those must be wrong. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Taylor may well have it in him to play at centre back. Against Luton last week he made the best clearance of the first half (possibly all match), he's determined, a battler and he can win a ball. But here's the thing: he is by a long long way our best forward. He's our top goalscorer, he can hold the ball up and he has the vision to bring others into play. We absolutely need him to be at the other end of the pitch. With his goals and attacking vision we might manage to stay up, without them we'll sink without trace.
    Just ask him to play both positions, simultaneously. 
  • Options
    Think perspective is needed, as we all know we weren’t given a fighting chance last summer, but the reality is this year is very competitive, we have 10 games left and sit on 39 points, last year Rotherham finished 3rd bottom on 40. I think overall given the squad and the injury crisis we have done well to keep our head above water. - let’s hope Wednesday and derby get massive points deductions and we will be fine ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our confidence is shot, can't see a way out. I hope I'm wrong, but we're down and Boro will beat us. Where's that rope?
  • Options
    One of us Boro and Hull joining Luton and Barnsley I think. Big game next week.
    I wouldn't write off Luton and Barnsley either, only 5 points behind us, they can easily make up that gap especially as there are loads of matches against fellow strugglers to come

The next 2 games are crucial, beat Boro and Hull and we stand a chance of survival. Lose those 2 and we're probably doomed as it'll be such a blow to morale (and helping 2 direct rivals)
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    Our confidence is shot, can't see a way out. I hope I'm wrong, but we're down and Boro will beat us. Where's that rope?
    Lol. You alright sweets?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I have always been worried about Lees ability to motivate the players, maybe it is coming to the surface now? Tbh, I have always had concerns about his motivational skills. One of the ‘catchphrases’ that intrigues me is his insistence on using is ‘The Diamond’ – its almost as if he has no other tactical nuance to impart. At this particular point in time, to be able to motivate others is going to be one of the key skills required- this situation needs an Allardyce or Warnock (although not suggesting we dispose of Bowyer – that would be mad at this point in time).

However, I am also very aware, as we all are, that the budget he has had to deal with is extremely low in comparison with others around us.

We also have been very pleased with our transfer dealings with Lee and Steve in the past (prime one for me was Magennis out for money and Lyle in for free – still makes me laugh now), however, the jury is almost coming back in with a verdict on the January signings with Green,Davis,Smith and Mcgeady being very underwhelming.

We just seem a side at the moment bereft of confidence (to be expected), no skill, no desire , one of the key strengths of us has always been the pressing element, which seems to have deserted us, along with our inability to stop sides attacking us at will with little desire to stop them before they get into dangerous situations – its almost as if teams are just walking the ball into our net now, or there is a defensive ricket which hands them a goal just around the corner.

In Lee’s words, 47 points will be enough for survival, which means we ‘just’ need to scrape 2 wins and 2 draws from somewhere, which given our form and confidence levels of recent will be much tougher than it sounds.

Assuming Luton and Barnsley have too much ground to make up this is the remaining fixtures of the five in the mix…us,Boro,Hull,Stoke and Wigan. With my points predictions. We might need that GD difference to give us another point (if we can manage to keep it below the rest) – we could really do with a 2 or 3 goal win v Boro, but then again I’ll keep looking for those pigs outside.

My take on us beating Wigan, will be that they will be safe by then , and may take their foot off the pedal.

Charlton

Charlton v Middlesbrough - 1

Hull v Charlton - 0

Charlton v QPR - 3

Cardiff v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Millwall - 0

Brentford v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Reading - 3

Birmingham v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Wigan - 3

Leeds v Charlton – 0

Total points 10 – 49 points

-

Mboro

Middlesbrough v Nottingham - 1

Charlton v Middlesbrough -1

Middlesbrough v Swansea - 1

Stoke v Middlesbrough - 0

Hull v Middlesbrough - 1

Middlesbrough v QPR - 3

Millwall v Middlesbrough - 0

Middlesbrough v Bristol City - 1

Reading v Middlesbrough - 0

Middlesbrough v Cardiff - 3

Sheffield Wed v Middlesbrough - 0

Total points 11 – 48 points

Hull

Stoke v Hull – 0

Hull v Charlton - 3

Birmingham v Hull - 0

Hull v Middlesbrough - 1

West Brom v Hull -0

Bristol City v Hull -0

Hull v Millwall - 1

Wigan v Hull -0

Hull v Luton -3

Cardiff v Hull – 1

Total points 9 – 50 points

Stoke

Stoke v Hull - 3

Reading v Stoke - 1

Stoke v Middlesbrough - 3

Wigan v Stoke - 1

Stoke v Barnsley - 3

Leeds v Stoke - 0

Stoke v Birmingham - 1

Bristol City v Stoke - 0

Stoke v Brentford - 0

Nottingham v Stoke - 0

Total points 12 – 51

Wigan

Wigan v Luton - 3

Huddersfield v Wigan - 3

Wigan v Blackburn - 1

Wigan v Stoke - 1

Brentford v Wigan - 0

Wigan v QPR - 1

Barnsley v Wigan - 3

Wigan v Hull -3

Charlton v Wigan - 0

Wigan v Fulham – 0

Total points 15 - 55

• Options

I have always been worried about Lees ability to motivate the players, maybe it is coming to the surface now? Tbh, I have always had concerns about his motivational skills. One of the ‘catchphrases’ that intrigues me is his insistence on using is ‘The Diamond’ – its almost as if he has no other tactical nuance to impart. At this particular point in time, to be able to motivate others is going to be one of the key skills required- this situation needs an Allardyce or Warnock (although not suggesting we dispose of Bowyer – that would be mad at this point in time).

However, I am also very aware, as we all are, that the budget he has had to deal with is extremely low in comparison with others around us.

We also have been very pleased with our transfer dealings with Lee and Steve in the past (prime one for me was Magennis out for money and Lyle in for free – still makes me laugh now), however, the jury is almost coming back in with a verdict on the January signings with Green,Davis,Smith and Mcgeady being very underwhelming.

We just seem a side at the moment bereft of confidence (to be expected), no skill, no desire , one of the key strengths of us has always been the pressing element, which seems to have deserted us, along with our inability to stop sides attacking us at will with little desire to stop them before they get into dangerous situations – its almost as if teams are just walking the ball into our net now, or there is a defensive ricket which hands them a goal just around the corner.

In Lee’s words, 47 points will be enough for survival, which means we ‘just’ need to scrape 2 wins and 2 draws from somewhere, which given our form and confidence levels of recent will be much tougher than it sounds.

Assuming Luton and Barnsley have too much ground to make up this is the remaining fixtures of the five in the mix…us,Boro,Hull,Stoke and Wigan. With my points predictions. We might need that GD difference to give us another point (if we can manage to keep it below the rest) – we could really do with a 2 or 3 goal win v Boro, but then again I’ll keep looking for those pigs outside.

My take on us beating Wigan, will be that they will be safe by then , and may take their foot off the pedal.

Charlton

Charlton v Middlesbrough - 1

Hull v Charlton - 0

Charlton v QPR - 3

Cardiff v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Millwall - 0

Brentford v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Reading - 3

Birmingham v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Wigan - 3

Leeds v Charlton – 0

Total points 10 – 49 points

-

Mboro

Middlesbrough v Nottingham - 1

Charlton v Middlesbrough -1

Middlesbrough v Swansea - 1

Stoke v Middlesbrough - 0

Hull v Middlesbrough - 1

Middlesbrough v QPR - 3

Millwall v Middlesbrough - 0

Middlesbrough v Bristol City - 1

Reading v Middlesbrough - 0

Middlesbrough v Cardiff - 3

Sheffield Wed v Middlesbrough - 0

Total points 11 – 48 points

Hull

Stoke v Hull – 0

Hull v Charlton - 3

Birmingham v Hull - 0

Hull v Middlesbrough - 1

West Brom v Hull -0

Bristol City v Hull -0

Hull v Millwall - 1

Wigan v Hull -0

Hull v Luton -3

Cardiff v Hull – 1

Total points 9 – 50 points

Stoke

Stoke v Hull - 3

Reading v Stoke - 1

Stoke v Middlesbrough - 3

Wigan v Stoke - 1

Stoke v Barnsley - 3

Leeds v Stoke - 0

Stoke v Birmingham - 1

Bristol City v Stoke - 0

Stoke v Brentford - 0

Nottingham v Stoke - 0

Total points 12 – 51

Wigan

Wigan v Luton - 3

Huddersfield v Wigan - 3

Wigan v Blackburn - 1

Wigan v Stoke - 1

Brentford v Wigan - 0

Wigan v QPR - 1

Barnsley v Wigan - 3

Wigan v Hull -3

Charlton v Wigan - 0

Wigan v Fulham – 0

Total points 15 - 55

I think you're being generous to Middlesbrough and Hull. Boro have managed 7 points from their last 10 (which could drop to 4 points from 10 if they lose against Forest on Monday). Hull have only managed 2 points from their last 10 games. They're both on really dreadful runs.
  • Options
    I think you're being generous to Middlesbrough and Hull. Boro have managed 7 points from their last 10 (which could drop to 4 points from 10 if they lose against Forest on Monday). Hull have only managed 2 points from their last 10 games. They're both on really dreadful runs.

They both have to play us, and play each other in the next 4 games.
  • Options
    Form guide of previous games: 

5 games we’re 16th
    10 games we’re 20th 
    15 games we’re 21st 

At worst case we’re not even in bottom 3 for form. 

I know yesterday (and Wednesday) was tough, especially for those who went to both games. But we’ve not been relegated this week, we’re not in bottom 3 of form table, we’re not in bottom 3 of actual table (and won’t be even if Boro pull off a win tomorrow).

Lets hope yesterday does sort out the players heads. Bowyer will certainly have learnt a lot about formations and his players this week. He’s still a rookie manager learning his trade and in a new league (one of the toughest second divisions in the world), but I believe him and JJ have enough to sort this set of players out for the remaining games. 

The teams overtaking us and catching up aren’t in the bottom 3 of the form tables either