Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Form guide of previous games: 

5 games we’re 16th
    10 games we’re 20th 
    15 games we’re 21st 

At worst case we’re not even in bottom 3 for form. 

I know yesterday (and Wednesday) was tough, especially for those who went to both games. But we’ve not been relegated this week, we’re not in bottom 3 of form table, we’re not in bottom 3 of actual table (and won’t be even if Boro pull off a win tomorrow).

Lets hope yesterday does sort out the players heads. Bowyer will certainly have learnt a lot about formations and his players this week. He’s still a rookie manager learning his trade and in a new league (one of the toughest second divisions in the world), but I believe him and JJ have enough to sort this set of players out for the remaining games. 

The teams overtaking us and catching up aren’t in the bottom 3 of the form tables either 

Boro, Hull and Luton all in bottom 3 of the form tables I’ve mentioned.

After getting rid of Roland, I’m more than happy finishing 21st this season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Gammysnr said:
    Our confidence is shot, can't see a way out. I hope I'm wrong, but we're down and Boro will beat us. Where's that rope?
    If our confidence is shot having won 3 of the last 7, what must Hull & Boro's confidence be like ?
    Hull have picked up 2 points from 30 & I don't think Boro have won this year, picking up 7 from the last 30.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    Our confidence is shot, can't see a way out. I hope I'm wrong, but we're down and Boro will beat us. Where's that rope?
    If our confidence is shot having won 3 of the last 7, what must Hull & Boro's confidence be like ?
    Hull have picked up 2 points from 30 & I don't think Boro have won this year.
    Oh no! You know what's going to happen now mate 😨. For once just once Charlton, please don't be so accomodating 🤞 😉.
  • Options
    Season will be defined by our home matches. Still reckon we will have enough to stay up. If we do stay up, it won’t be more than 1 or 2 points. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Gammysnr said:
    Oh no! You know what's going to happen now mate 😨. For once just once Charlton, please don't be so accomodating 🤞 😉.
    Dont worry Charlton havent beaten Millwall in years so they'll correct that too... wont they... wont they?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Gammysnr said:
    Dont worry Charlton havent beaten Millwall in years so they'll correct that too... wont they... wont they?
    Tell me about it still at least us old uns have seen the odd victory 😉.
  • Options
    Neither Hull nor Boro have won since the 1st January, the script writes itself...
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gammysnr said:
    Can you still remember the first sweets given to you by your Grandfather ;)
  • Options
    Neither Hull nor Boro have won since the 1st January, the script writes itself...
    I wonder who they'll beat?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gammysnr said:
    Actually no I can't but I can remember my Nan giving me a Thrupenny piece (1&1/4p today) pocket money to go and buy some 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gammysnr said:
    Actually no I can't but I can remember my Nan giving me a Thrupenny piece (1&1/4p today) pocket money to go and buy some 😉.
    Unbelievable memory recollecting 80 years back.
    You sobered up yet from Wednesday? I bet your ears were burning yesterday when I was chatting with Lincs about you blanking him 😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gammysnr said:
    Unbelievable memory recollecting 80 years back.
    You sobered up yet from Wednesday? I bet your ears were burning yesterday when I was chatting with Lincs about you blanking him 😉
    I certainly had earache off @SoundAsa£ last night on my way home.

• Options
    One of us Boro and Hull joining Luton and Barnsley I think. Big game next week.
    I wouldn't write off Luton and Barnsley either, only 5 points behind us, they can easily make up that gap especially as there are loads of matches against fellow strugglers to come

The next 2 games are crucial, beat Boro and Hull and we stand a chance of survival. Lose those 2 and we're probably doomed as it'll be such a blow to morale (and helping 2 direct rivals)
    Luton have wigan next and Hull still to play 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Off_it said:

I have always been worried about Lees ability to motivate the players, maybe it is coming to the surface now? Tbh, I have always had concerns about his motivational skills. 

And you're telling us this now?
    Clearly, after the shambles at Sheff wed, his motivational skills worked at Huddersfield.

His after match was an embarassment- and he mentioned 'The Diamond' !

Lee 'Diamond' Bowyer.
  • Options
    Form guide of previous games: 

5 games we’re 16th
    10 games we’re 20th 
    15 games we’re 21st 

At worst case we’re not even in bottom 3 for form. 

I know yesterday (and Wednesday) was tough, especially for those who went to both games. But we’ve not been relegated this week, we’re not in bottom 3 of form table, we’re not in bottom 3 of actual table (and won’t be even if Boro pull off a win tomorrow).

Lets hope yesterday does sort out the players heads. Bowyer will certainly have learnt a lot about formations and his players this week. He’s still a rookie manager learning his trade and in a new league (one of the toughest second divisions in the world), but I believe him and JJ have enough to sort this set of players out for the remaining games. 

The teams overtaking us and catching up aren’t in the bottom 3 of the form tables either 

Boro, Hull and Luton all in bottom 3 of the form tables I’ve mentioned.

After getting rid of Roland, I’m more than happy finishing 21st this season. 
    State of Wednesday's form and we still set up the way we did at their place. That one will sting for a while.
  • Options

I have always been worried about Lees ability to motivate the players, maybe it is coming to the surface now? Tbh, I have always had concerns about his motivational skills. One of the ‘catchphrases’ that intrigues me is his insistence on using is ‘The Diamond’ – its almost as if he has no other tactical nuance to impart. At this particular point in time, to be able to motivate others is going to be one of the key skills required- this situation needs an Allardyce or Warnock (although not suggesting we dispose of Bowyer – that would be mad at this point in time).

However, I am also very aware, as we all are, that the budget he has had to deal with is extremely low in comparison with others around us.

We also have been very pleased with our transfer dealings with Lee and Steve in the past (prime one for me was Magennis out for money and Lyle in for free – still makes me laugh now), however, the jury is almost coming back in with a verdict on the January signings with Green,Davis,Smith and Mcgeady being very underwhelming.

We just seem a side at the moment bereft of confidence (to be expected), no skill, no desire , one of the key strengths of us has always been the pressing element, which seems to have deserted us, along with our inability to stop sides attacking us at will with little desire to stop them before they get into dangerous situations – its almost as if teams are just walking the ball into our net now, or there is a defensive ricket which hands them a goal just around the corner.

In Lee’s words, 47 points will be enough for survival, which means we ‘just’ need to scrape 2 wins and 2 draws from somewhere, which given our form and confidence levels of recent will be much tougher than it sounds.

Assuming Luton and Barnsley have too much ground to make up this is the remaining fixtures of the five in the mix…us,Boro,Hull,Stoke and Wigan. With my points predictions. We might need that GD difference to give us another point (if we can manage to keep it below the rest) – we could really do with a 2 or 3 goal win v Boro, but then again I’ll keep looking for those pigs outside.

My take on us beating Wigan, will be that they will be safe by then , and may take their foot off the pedal.

Charlton

Charlton v Middlesbrough - 1

Hull v Charlton - 0

Charlton v QPR - 3

Cardiff v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Millwall - 0

Brentford v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Reading - 3

Birmingham v Charlton - 0

Charlton v Wigan - 3

Leeds v Charlton – 0

Total points 10 – 49 points

-

Mboro

Middlesbrough v Nottingham - 1

Charlton v Middlesbrough -1

Middlesbrough v Swansea - 1

Stoke v Middlesbrough - 0

Hull v Middlesbrough - 1

Middlesbrough v QPR - 3

Millwall v Middlesbrough - 0

Middlesbrough v Bristol City - 1

Reading v Middlesbrough - 0

Middlesbrough v Cardiff - 3

Sheffield Wed v Middlesbrough - 0

Total points 11 – 48 points

Hull

Stoke v Hull – 0

Hull v Charlton - 3

Birmingham v Hull - 0

Hull v Middlesbrough - 1

West Brom v Hull -0

Bristol City v Hull -0

Hull v Millwall - 1

Wigan v Hull -0

Hull v Luton -3

Cardiff v Hull – 1

Total points 9 – 50 points

Stoke

Stoke v Hull - 3

Reading v Stoke - 1

Stoke v Middlesbrough - 3

Wigan v Stoke - 1

Stoke v Barnsley - 3

Leeds v Stoke - 0

Stoke v Birmingham - 1

Bristol City v Stoke - 0

Stoke v Brentford - 0

Nottingham v Stoke - 0

Total points 12 – 51

Wigan

Wigan v Luton - 3

Huddersfield v Wigan - 3

Wigan v Blackburn - 1

Wigan v Stoke - 1

Brentford v Wigan - 0

Wigan v QPR - 1

Barnsley v Wigan - 3

Wigan v Hull -3

Charlton v Wigan - 0

Wigan v Fulham – 0

Total points 15 - 55

Some big 6-pointers amongst that lot, not at least for Wigan who could be playing 3 of their last 4 games against reams in or around the bottom 3.

Also Millwall wont do us any favours & will probably lose to Hull & Boro and beat us.
  • Options
    Yep

Well, other than beating Millwall 🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southampton 0 Leicester 9    25/10/19   probably most people thought Soton were heading for relegation.
    Watford looked racing certainties for relegation a couple of months ago.
    Wigan looked dead and buried 2 weeks ago.
    10 games left anything could happen.
    Yes we could lose them all.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Southampton 0 Leicester 9    25/10/19   probably most people thought Soton were heading for relegation.
    Watford looked racing certainties for relegation a couple of months ago.
    Wigan looked dead and buried 2 weeks ago.
    10 games left anything could happen.
    Yes we could lose them all.
    You've changed.
    You were backing us to score 4 early part of the season :-)
  • Options
    If we can get 6 points from Boro, Hull and QPR then things will start to look a bit more promising. 4-5 points possibly won't be a disaster either.

Anything less than that though and i fear with the games immediately after (Cardiff, Millwall, Brentford) then we'll be rooted in the bottom 3 with 4 games left.
  • Options
    It's crazy how the form is this league can suddenly turn though.

Look at Middlesbrough for example. Over christmas and new year they won 4 out of 4, beating Stoke and Huddersfield at home then winning away 2-0 at both West Brom and Preston. They must've thought then that they were well set for a comfy mid-table finish.

God knows what happened after that though. 9 games, 0 wins, 4 points. Although similar to us (before Huddersfield) they're never easily beaten, their 5 defeats in that run have all been by a single goal (4 of them losing 1-0)

• Options
    It's crazy how the form is this league can suddenly turn though.

Look at Middlesbrough for example. Over christmas and new year they won 4 out of 4, beating Stoke and Huddersfield at home then winning away 2-0 at both West Brom and Preston. They must've thought then that they were well set for a comfy mid-table finish.

God knows what happened after that though. 9 games, 0 wins, 4 points. Although similar to us (before Huddersfield) they're never easily beaten, their 5 defeats in that run have all been by a single goal (4 of them losing 1-0)

On the basis of the madness of this division, they'll either win 2-0 at The Valley to end their terrible run without a win or we'll stuff them 5-0 to end their run of narrow defeats!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    If we can get 6 points from Boro, Hull and QPR then things will start to look a bit more promising. 4-5 points possibly won't be a disaster either.

Anything less than that though and i fear with the games immediately after (Cardiff, Millwall, Brentford) then we'll be rooted in the bottom 3 with 4 games left.
    Even 3 might be ok - as long as that 3 is against Boro  it would take us potentially 5 points clear of them, with better GD, and deflate them at same time. Another point at Hull would be a real bonus. If that happened, then that could take us 3 games away (6 points) from Boro where they need to get points if we get nothing.
  • Options
    Interestingly, despite the doom and gloom, if the right sequence of results happen tonight and Saturday, we would suddenly look quite good. 5 ahead of Boro and 9 ahead of both Luton and Barnsley. And all those results look possible if not probable.  Of course life is never that easy but there’s always hope. The alternative wouldn’t be very nice. 
  • Options

At what point do we find out about Wednesday and Derby points deduction?

Would EFL leave it literally until the last minute? Will they even get deducted at all this season? A quick google didn't give me any answers.

• Options

At what point do we find out about Wednesday and Derby points deduction?

Would EFL leave it literally until the last minute? Will they even get deducted at all this season? A quick google didn't give me any answers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47667742

It was announced on the 22nd March last season, if that's a clue