Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who owns the Valley? - The Ownership Thread

Comments

• Options
    Any chance someone on here could explain in simple terms how much actual money the owners would need to actually have in a ring fenced account (I'm assuming) to pass the EFL test?
    The purchase price and 2 years running costs I believe. 

That, if you believe two things regularly mentioned on here, could be as low as £1.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    I’m failing to follow the logic that ESI’s strategy is a “property play”. If it were, why didn’t they purchase the property? 
    Because they don’t want The Valley 
    So then, in what way would it be a property play?
    Because Roland keeps The Valley for subsequent development and therefore they don’t pay him the c £50m - he keeps The Valley and develops it whilst ESI select a new site which has other development opportunities which will include a football stadium which will cost whatever - maybe £100-300m which is easier to raise funding 
    So your idea of a property play is to buy a football club and then try to raise a quarter of a billion pounds in order to build a football ground? 

Or, to put another way, you save fifty million, but it then costs you one hundred to three hundred million? 

Forgive me for suggesting it, but I think this idea doesn't really stack up. But only in the basis of maths. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    I’m failing to follow the logic that ESI’s strategy is a “property play”. If it were, why didn’t they purchase the property? 
    Because Roland keeps The Valley for subsequent development and therefore they don’t pay him the c £50m - he keeps The Valley and develops it whilst ESI select a new site which has other development opportunities which will include a football stadium which will cost whatever - maybe £100-300m which is easier to raise funding 
    So your idea of a property play is to buy a football club and then try to raise a quarter of a billion pounds in order to build a football ground? 

Or, to put another way, you save fifty million, but it then costs you one hundred to three hundred million? 

Forgive me for suggesting it, but I think this idea doesn't really stack up. But only in the basis of maths. 
    Yep that’s exactly what I think - time will tell 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:

I don’t think it’s their plan or do I hope it is in don’t way. 

However, if it was their intention, it’s not saving 50mil is it. Not if they wanted a new ground. IF they wanted a new stadium, why pay a shed load for a stadium they don’t want. Would be sensible to rent the ground whilst we play there and the new ground is being built. 

It would be a short term saving because if you bought the ground and funded a new stadium, it’s double whammy. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Any chance someone on here could explain in simple terms how much actual money the owners would need to actually have in a ring fenced account (I'm assuming) to pass the EFL test?
    The purchase price and 2 years running costs I believe. 

That, if you believe two things regularly mentioned on here, could be as low as £1.
    If it’s true that we are almost breaking even this season, I would suggest that 10mil in a bank could easily cover the costs for two years and that’s with increased investment in the playing staff. 
  • Options
    How about building a new stadium at Sparrows Lane and moving the training ground to The Valley? :p
    Why stop there? Surely playing at Bluewater is the ultimate goal of every Charlton fan.
  • Options
    The time to have moved to the Penisula was the early 2000's or post crash, when the land was cheap, and people weren't prepared to commit to the big build required, since then Knights Dragon have hoovered up the land, and its a prime location. 

There isn't anywhere in the north of Greenwich left to develop, other than some land to the north of Plumstead station near Belmarsh, but that isn't a future home of this club. 

Anyway, as I keep saying, the Valley is completely suitable for the club, you can invest and improve in what's there. And if there was anything that could move to the Penisula, it's the club offices for example, and free that space up for revenue raising facilities.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Look, there is currently not a shred of evidence that any kind of "property play" is central to ESI's plan. If such evidence emerges, no matter how shaky, then I am convinced that @Airman Brownwill be the first to present it.

The previous history of this phrase stems from the role of Lee Amis (who is in the property biz) in one of the bids in 2010, and also the apparent existence of a suitable site on the Peninsula when RD bought us at the end of 2013. I personally knew of another bid in 2013 where moving to that site was central to the plan (albeit in a measured timescale). In the runup to the 2013 sale process I met Lee Amis and that's when he used the phrase "any bid is a property play" and passed me copies of certain documents to prove how central to the thinking in the Charlton boardroom that had been in 2010. It's also true that way back both Murray and Varney mused that we might need to move to increase Charlton's capacity to match West Ham, when they moved into a new stadium (they saw that  coming long before the Olympic bid was even clinched).

However that was then and this is now. Lee Amis is also a Charlton fan, and he's clear that this isn't on the agenda now, and I believe him, for two rational reasons. One, no obvious site in Greenwich now exists. Two, unlike previous owners, the premise of ESI is that there is enough financial backing to fund organic growth of the Club and business. The phrase "property play" describes a purchase of a football club by chancers who don't have the funds to build the football club as a business without making a big profit on a deal around selling the existing stadium and moving to a new one. Currently, there is no evidence whatsoever that ESI are in that bracket. That's all I know, bit it appears to be a bit more than those who are currently trying to  divert the thread to suggest it is all part of the "mystery" implied in the thread title. I'd recommend them to give ESI a break and leave this line of thinking until (to re-hash a tag) #WIIVOTV.
    I don’t see that there is a property play this time, but the idea that there is “enough financial backing to fund organic growth” is another way of saying “let’s buy the club and then find the money to run it”. Add in the business record and reputation of some of the people chasing this money and you can see why other parties are sceptical.
  • Options
    New ground near Plumstead station sounds fine if your a member of Radical club but then the place would be rammed :smile:

We've gone over this "new ground" stuff so often and no matter how often its shown that's there's no land at the peninsula it keeps coming up.  There is no basis for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look, there is currently not a shred of evidence that any kind of "property play" is central to ESI's plan. If such evidence emerges, no matter how shaky, then I am convinced that @Airman Brownwill be the first to present it.

The previous history of this phrase stems from the role of Lee Amis (who is in the property biz) in one of the bids in 2010, and also the apparent existence of a suitable site on the Peninsula when RD bought us at the end of 2013. I personally knew of another bid in 2013 where moving to that site was central to the plan (albeit in a measured timescale). In the runup to the 2013 sale process I met Lee Amis and that's when he used the phrase "any bid is a property play" and passed me copies of certain documents to prove how central to the thinking in the Charlton boardroom that had been in 2010. It's also true that way back both Murray and Varney mused that we might need to move to increase Charlton's capacity to match West Ham, when they moved into a new stadium (they saw that  coming long before the Olympic bid was even clinched).

However that was then and this is now. Lee Amis is also a Charlton fan, and he's clear that this isn't on the agenda now, and I believe him, for two rational reasons. One, no obvious site in Greenwich now exists. Two, unlike previous owners, the premise of ESI is that there is enough financial backing to fund organic growth of the Club and business. The phrase "property play" describes a purchase of a football club by chancers who don't have the funds to build the football club as a business without making a big profit on a deal around selling the existing stadium and moving to a new one. Currently, there is no evidence whatsoever that ESI are in that bracket. That's all I know, bit it appears to be a bit more than those who are currently trying to  divert the thread to suggest it is all part of the "mystery" implied in the thread title. I'd recommend them to give ESI a break and leave this line of thinking until (to re-hash a tag) #WIIVOTV.
    I don’t see that there is a property play this time, but the idea that there is “enough financial backing to fund organic growth” is another way of saying “let’s buy the club and then find the money to run it”. Add in the business record and reputation of some of the people chasing this money and you can see why other parties are sceptical.
    I did use the phrase "the premise of ESI", by which I mean it's their own premise, or more specifically that of Lee Amis. I do not have any more independent evidence than anyone else on CL that this is true, and we will all need to see how that unfolds. I am sure you will be all over it and glad that you will be, even if in the process feathers get ruffled and the conclusions from your findings are in turn scrutinised by smart people like Grapevine. Ultimately such a dialogue is what keeps us as a fanbase stronger than (e.g.) those hapless hordes across the Thames.
  • Options

Does appear to be more people involved than anyone has officially stated.  It could be as simple as they aren't involved at all and MS is just showing off his new football club to his friends. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Does appear to be more people involved than anyone has officially stated.  It could be as simple as they aren't involved at all and MS is just showing off his new football club to his friends. 
    as well as TN Abu Dhabi Business Development has five other listed directors all with "European" names.

My guess is that at least some of them are these guys.

https://adbd.ae/
  • Options
    one of them is Jacco van Seventer, or certainly looks like him
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

as well as TN Abu Dhabi Business Development has five other listed directors all with "European" names.

Interesting one on there, Simon Foster, listed as 'financing football player transfers'
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    That's the name that comes up on the web, do you know something about him, beyond what's written there?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    That's the name that comes up on the web, do you know something about him, beyond what's written there?
    No idea, just putting photos and faces together
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Interesting one on there, Simon Foster, listed as 'financing football player transfers'
    Good spot! This one is bothering me a bit, mainly because of the phrase you highlight, but then because a brief search doesn't lead me to anything mentioned in his profile. In particular this claim: multi-award winning UK based, global technologies firm, VS Technologies. I can't find any company matching that description, although it's a common name, used by companies based in  places as far apart as Bangalore and Soweto. On the Companies House web, all I got was this one, which doesn't fit the description by any stretch. 

Anyone else able to do a better search? Business I'm in has made me ultra-suspicious of bigged-up personal profiles, but I've only taken two minutes.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    No idea, just putting photos and faces together
    Any of the names mentioned on the page, matching the faces HE was pictured with on Saturday?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Good spot! This one is bothering me a bit, mainly because of the phrase you highlight, but then because a brief search doesn't lead me to anything mentioned in his profile. In particular this claim: multi-award winning UK based, global technologies firm, VS Technologies. I can't find any company matching that description, although it's a common name, used by companies based in  places as far apart as Bangalore and Soweto. On the Companies House web, all I got was this one, which doesn't fit the description by any stretch. 

Anyone else able to do a better search? Business I'm in has made me ultra-suspicious of bigged-up personal profiles, but I've only taken two minutes.

Did the same search yesterday Prague and equally drew a blank. 

Glad we are giving them a break :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yeah I know.

Mr Heller looks solid, though. And he is the one on the CAFC board.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yeah I know.

Mr Heller looks solid, though. And he is the one on the CAFC board.

Yup, I agree with that. 
  • Options
    With regard to the LR, there are no new leases pending on any of the titles. There was an official search lodged by Staprix NV which was cancelled on 14/01. 

There's also a priority for a charge across both The Valley and SL - and there appears to be a lease set up on 09/01 which was cancelled on 14/01.

It would appear that some documentation (deeds) have gone missing which I assume has caused issues.
  • Options
    A great thread.

Nice to see people asking questions and doing some good research :smile:
  • Options
    Great thread, Time for a re-visit?

Well done to @Chizz and @Airman Brown for keeping it going. Shame about a few who just wanted to silence them. Must have been the excitement (and maybe a bit of their 'do nothing' instincts coming out! ;)
  • Options

Well done to @Chizz and @Airman Brown for keeping it going. Shame about a few who just wanted to silence them. Must have been the excitement (and maybe a bit of their 'do nothing' instincts coming out! ;)
    It's a tragic comedy. 
  • Options
    Funny read as it all unravelled.  Did we ever get to the bottom of how long a lease our new "owners" benefit from, as still not registered on Land Registry it must be less than 7 years which is another thing to worry about!
  • Options

That's entertainment...
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Seriously guys, this is pathetic. Get a grip.

I'm sure we will know a lot more in due course. For now, just be happy that our nightmare is over.

As per usual I reckon I nailed this. Our nightmare was over.

Then we woke up and realised that true life was even worse!

You should be a bit more like me mate. If', like me, you are forever a pessimist then you are never surprised when the shit hits the fan.