Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall’s first interview

Comments

• Options
    What I took from it.

a) He talked about Green and then later said we needed to sign a replacement for Leko, whereas I thought Green was the Leko replacement so sounds like we are in for another striker
    b) I didn't like the answer on Bowyer, thought it was a bit trite.  Lee could do with winning a few games in Jan to cement his position with the new owners
    c) Use of the word sustainable - In the context of investing in the academy and growing your own players then great. If we are going to stick with Rolands budgets in this division then not so much!

Overall he seems like a nice guy and said a lot of nice things.  Needs to follow that up with some actions. 

1) Get some players in and soon,
    2) make sure we have replacements before selling anyone,
    3) sort the contracts of players and staff we want to retain,
    4) Get any additional backroom staff in we needs, particularly medical!
    5) Employ an FD and any other non football staff

Actions always speak louder then words!

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The new CFO is Shaun McHugh.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Talal said:
    I’m sure Matt will watch it back again and realise he’s said a few “you knows” and prolly take the piss out of himself 
    Exactly , good to see a Charlton Chairman who isn’t as lame and precious as some fans and can have a laugh , 👍 from me ! 
    Personally think you're misgauging this a little bit mate tbh. Not saying in months to come there can't be a good craic, but just a little restraint for the first couple of weeks, I fancy
    You not seen the tweet he put out taking the pee out of himself for Saying “you know” a lot .
    restraint from what , him having a laugh at himself , us laughing with him 
    he’s cool with it , no ones ripping him a new one 
    He gets the banter 
    Yes I saw the Tweet and wouldnt expect anything other than that from anyone else in the same situation tbh. It still don't mean to say that he don't feel like a bit of a dick and he aint trying to style it out though does it. But if you think you've gauged it right, crack on, I just think it's best to let him find his feet first, that's all mate
    You reckon Meire would've responded like that? 
    I don't even know what to say to that other than, I would've thought the same thing after her first interview. Is my point really that hard to grasp? I just think the "You know" thing and some of the comments on HE's Instagram are a bit embarrassing after the first contact, that's all it is mate.

After listening to the man last night, I've got a sneaky suspicion thee were other things contributing to MS's nerves for his first interview too. 

• Options
    Yes the word sustainable was an interesting choice of words because unless you're an established Premier League team sustainability in the EFL just isn't possible.

Was also interesting where Matt referred to 27k crowds too, I can only think again this is possible in the Premier League.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Talal said:
    I’m sure Matt will watch it back again and realise he’s said a few “you knows” and prolly take the piss out of himself 
    Exactly , good to see a Charlton Chairman who isn’t as lame and precious as some fans and can have a laugh , 👍 from me ! 
    Personally think you're misgauging this a little bit mate tbh. Not saying in months to come there can't be a good craic, but just a little restraint for the first couple of weeks, I fancy
    You not seen the tweet he put out taking the pee out of himself for Saying “you know” a lot .
    He gets the banter 
    Yes I saw the Tweet and wouldnt expect anything other than that from anyone else in the same situation tbh. It still don't mean to say that he don't feel like a bit of a dick and he aint trying to style it out though does it. But if you think you've gauged it right, crack on, I just think it's best to let him find his feet first, that's all mate
    Bloody woman never responded at all
    She would have phoned the police and got the perpetrators arrested.
    Well she did, fact.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I am waiting for, and looking forward to @Grapevine49 long in depth review of recent events 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The new CFO is Shaun McHugh.
    Gulp!

http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/bolton-wanderers-appoint-new-head-of-finance/

tbf he lasted about 3 months there.  Worked  for tangoman for 5 seasons at palace
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Over our years in the prem when ground was 27k how often were the 24k home seats sold out @Airman Brown
    We had about 8k who were football tourists, fans of other prem clubs, folk who came to watch Prem football without any connection with Cafc, fair weather fans who pick and choose. I'm talking about the home end, which also had a few thousand away fans who couldn't get in the Jimmy Seed. 
    If Leeds had scored this season in their bizarre 1-0 defeat the 2k Leeds fans in the east and west would have been even more noticeable. 

When West ham get 60k in the stadium that they mugged off the British public; they aren't all thick Hammers? Maybe about 35K are 

What a load of cobblers.

Say what you really think  :)

When Charlton were in the Premier and playing Chelsea, Spurs, Man utd, West Ham etc, through my  work and being connected with a football club which had 24 teams and nearly 1k of kids from 6 to 16 and loads of mum and Dad's who always told me about their trips to the valley either in the away end or home end supporting their favourite team I can only assume there was 2k in the home end. They all seem to know a friend or family member who supported Charlton. Half a dozen guys who supported other teams in premier even shared a season ticket at the valley. I'm surprised that you weren't aware of this,  Where did you think the 6-8k drop out folk went when we were relegated to the Championship ?

Mainly fair weather  Cafc fans but definitely the above as well.
  • Options
    a full ground means sustainability of course, noted that he mentions these and rightly so in my view
  • Options
    Over our years in the prem when ground was 27k how often were the 24k home seats sold out @Airman Brown
    We had about 8k who were football tourists, fans of other prem clubs, folk who came to watch Prem football without any connection with Cafc, fair weather fans who pick and choose. I'm talking about the home end, which also had a few thousand away fans who couldn't get in the Jimmy Seed. 
    If Leeds had scored this season in their bizarre 1-0 defeat the 2k Leeds fans in the east and west would have been even more noticeable. 

When West ham get 60k in the stadium that they mugged off the British public; they aren't all thick Hammers? Maybe about 35K are 

What a load of cobblers.

When Charlton were in the Premier and playing Chelsea, Spurs, Man utd, West Ham etc, through my  work and being connected with a football club which had 20 teams and 1000's of kids from 6 to 16 and loads of mum and Dad's who always told me about their trips to the valley either in the away end or home end supporting their favourite team I can only assume there was 2k in the home end. They all seem to know a friend or family member who supported Charlton. Half a dozen guys who supported other teams in premier even shared a season ticket at the valley. I'm surprised that you weren't aware of this,  Where did you think the 6-8k drop out folk went when we were relegated to the Championship ?

I know 4 x guys none of whom support Charlton that used to buy 2 x season tickets between them and share them just to watch cheap Premiership football.

2 x support Man Utd, 1 x supports Chelsea and the other is Arsenal. They all used to sit in the East Stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    He gets the banter 
    I don't even know what to say to that other than, I would've thought the same thing after her first interview. Is my point really that hard to grasp? I just think the "You know" thing and some of the comments on HE's Instagram are a bit embarrassing after the first contact, that's all it is mate.

After listening to the man last night, I've got a sneaky suspicion thee were other things contributing to MS's nerves for his first interview too. 

Oh I don't disagree with you but unfortunately was inevitable people would go on about the "you know" overload. Haven't seen the instagram comments. I just think it was the right reaction from him rather than saying nothing like I expect Meire would've done. 
  • Options

What a load of cobblers.

When Charlton were in the Premier and playing Chelsea, Spurs, Man utd, West Ham etc, through my  work and being connected with a football club which had 20 teams and 1000's of kids from 6 to 16 and loads of mum and Dad's who always told me about their trips to the valley either in the away end or home end supporting their favourite team I can only assume there was 2k in the home end. They all seem to know a friend or family member who supported Charlton. Half a dozen guys who supported other teams in premier even shared a season ticket at the valley. I'm surprised that you weren't aware of this,  Where did you think the 6-8k drop out folk went when we were relegated to the Championship ?

I know 4 x guys none of whom support Charlton that used to buy 2 x season tickets between them and share them just to watch cheap Premiership football.

2 x support Man Utd, 1 x supports Chelsea and the other is Arsenal. They all used to sit in the East Stand.
    so which one was you? ;-)
  • Options
    A decent interview, although as you'd expect, the questions and issues were, of necessity, dealt with in a very general way at this embryonic stage. We didn't learn very much, although what more could the guy have reasonably said at this juncture ? Matt Southall seems a very personable bloke and I confess that I did not notice the "you knows" (such as they were).

The new owners are taking over at a difficult time, given the premium prices often demanded during the January window (unless your owner is an idiot like Duchatelet), the speculation surrounding Lyle Taylor's future and the fact that we've slipped to 19th in the table (which won't make it easier to attract new players). I suspect that the "sensible and sustainable" message was as much for the benefit of agents and other clubs as it was for Charlton supporters. There is usually a bit more realism on the part of selling clubs towards the end of the January window, so we may have to be patient. 

The stated objective of becoming a Category 1 club is interesting and encouraging. Once the owners acquire Sparrows Lane, there will certainly be a good few ditches to fill in, as an attempt is made to sort out the chaotic patchwork of Roland's half-finished handiwork.

I'm a little concerned about Lee Bowyer's position but hopefully all will be well and he, Jacko, Gallen and Marshall will be signing new contracts in short order. 

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic, although references to "investors" always make me a little nervous, as there is an implicit expectation that there will be a return at some point - something very, very few football clubs ever deliver. Many large and well resourced clubs aspire to achieve Premier League status, but only three a season can do so.

As ever, the new owners will be judged by what they do, rather than what they say. In the meantime, I am sure that everyone will get behind them as we all start to rebuild the club and its level of support.

• Options
    I agree that Matt Southall has earned and deserves a welcoming response from us on CL, but I also think he knew that going on video, every little thing would be scrutinised. Well I could have told him what to expect, look what happened after my appearance on that Olympic Stadium BBC documentary, supposedly laying bare the secrecy and evasions of the LLDC. All I got from this lot was @Fumbluff going on about my gilet, (and still does) and NLA pointing out my CAST badge wasn't straight :-) . 

It's just what British blokes do, and what's more, they were right. I looked again and realised that after 20 years I'd completely forgotten all the basic rules of TV/video appearances, and shelled out for a half day training with an ex news-anchor. Brilliant, it was. She banned the gilet for anything other than gardening duties. I'd recommend Matt to get something similar, worth every penny. It's like swimming lessons with video, you'll be doing it wrong all the time until someone who knows points out your mistakes and tells you how to do it right.
  • Options
    Good interview, but still no-one's asked/answered the burning question, "have we got any fucking money or not?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Does this finally put it to bed that we're not going to be spending bajillions on players and wages? I really hope so. 
    You can't be spending bajillions in The Championship, as you need to comply with FFP.
    However, you can be spending more than we are presently, with a view to reaching the Premier League.
    Premier League TV income of £120M pa minimum, will mean that it will be possible to spend millions on players. 
    Well, Wolves bought Ruben Neves for 15.8 million when they were in the Championship. 

I don't think we have bajillions, that's why we won't be spending them. 
  • Options
    Overall I am pleased with what he has said. Nothing too over the top and no false promises. All we want is an ownership regime that genuinely want the best for the football club, we all accept that when a gem comes through our academy the likelihood is he will get sold but as long as the majority of the funds are reinvested back into the club and the playing staff then no-one can ever have an issue. I think ESI will be the regime that we need. COYRs and welcome Mr.Southall and HE Nimer.
  • Options

What a load of cobblers.

Thanks Mike, for backing me up.
    I knew I couldn't be the only person aware  of non Charlton fans buying Premier seaon tickets or one offs in the Charlton stands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe already said but players often go to clubs as a result of the current manager. Therefore LB not having a contract until after window closes not the surest way to get players.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Talking about the Academy, anyone know the difference between Category 2 and 1 and it’s implications?
    I think -

- 1 Cat is the holly grail and where players would like to be ie - Chelsea, Man U, Citeh and AFC Fylde
    - 2 Cat are  feeder Clubs who can hold onto their youngsters a couple of years
    - 3 Cat are the ones who bring youngsters on and they get moved on straight away without seeing any benefit, apart from a few quid
    Fylde are category 1? 
    No. Of the 92, 24 are category 1. The lowest of these clubs is Sunderland. 
  • Options
    Regarding Matt Southall himself - what an exciting time this must be for him. 30 odd years old, new year, new job at the reigns of a Championship football Club and, what looks like, a young family too. Talk about the worlds your oyster...

Well looking forward to this interview
    As long as its not a case of the world's his Oyston
    might have been said already .. he's been around the block .. was involved in a stab at buying Villa a while ago, representing far east money
  • Options
    If I have one question mark after the interview, it was his stance on youngsters leaving the club. He was kind of advocating it at one point. I.e.Gomez. But then saying it would never happen under his watch i.e Aribo?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Does this finally put it to bed that we're not going to be spending bajillions on players and wages? I really hope so. 
    You can't be spending bajillions in The Championship, as you need to comply with FFP.
    However, you can be spending more than we are presently, with a view to reaching the Premier League.
    Premier League TV income of £120M pa minimum, will mean that it will be possible to spend millions on players. 
    Well, Wolves bought Ruben Neves for 15.8 million when they were in the Championship. 

I have a client who is very well known in his industry (property investment) that when we put debt packages together for him it’s all on the ‘hush hush’ when it comes to gathering information, valuations etc, as the mention of his name / his business will see the vendor wanting more money, because they know he is loaded

Similar issue for Charlton at moment - he wasn’t going to go into detail about budgets etc for players in that interview, and then sit in front of other clubs and get the best deal for the club when trying to buy one of their players - doesn’t make business sense

I thought he came across well and as honest as he could be in the circumstances

Granted - talk is cheap - actions are louder than words - so ball is in his / ESI court now, to win over the doubters

At least we at last have a transfer window where Charlton are likely to be active at last !!!!!
  • Options
    If I have one question mark after the interview, it was his stance on youngsters leaving the club. He was kind of advocating it at one point. I.e.Gomez. But then saying it would never happen under his watch i.e Aribo?
    Yh did feel a bit like mixed messages there. Maybe he didn't communicate it right, would be good to get clarification. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I have a client who is very well known in his industry (property investment) that when we put debt packages together for him it’s all on the ‘hush hush’ when it comes to gathering information, valuations etc, as the mention of his name / his business will see the vendor wanting more money, because they know he is loaded

Similar issue for Charlton at moment - he wasn’t going to go into detail about budgets etc for players in that interview, and then sit in front of other clubs and get the best deal for the club when trying to buy one of their players - doesn’t make business sense

I thought he came across well and as honest as he could be in the circumstances

Granted - talk is cheap - actions are louder than words - so ball is in his / ESI court now, to win over the doubters

At least we at last have a transfer window where Charlton are likely to be active at last !!!!!
    Sorry but I keep hearing that and I think it's wishful thinking at best. You don't sit down in an honest chat with the fans and say we are going to buy from lower leagues, promote youth, sell youth, and do things sustainably, and then turn around blow big bucks all over the show. You say something else. 

The other problem with your idea is that it only works for one player. Once you've bought someone at a good price, on big wages, the illusion is spent. 

If my fellow fans want to live in la la land a while longer go for it, I just see the storm of disillusion coming when the reality sets in, which will be unfair to ESI as they have been clear. 
    As I say - actions will reveal, not words

I’m not expecting ‘big bucks’ however I guess it’s open to interpretation what ‘big bucks’ is - I imagine there would be a wide range of views - just spending money on players rather than loans will be a step in the right direction (I do accept some of the loans this season have been a triumph)

Buying one player on a good price doesn’t reveal to other teams what your total budget is

I do think you are jumping the gun with your ‘la la land’ comment - you might be right but equally you could be wrong - let’s all keep our powder dry and see how it pans out