Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall’s first interview

Comments

• Options
    Thinking about it , Matt’s going to get a lot tougher questions heading his way when he does the national press conference, is that today?

We might find out a bit more about some stuff we’ve still got questions about, if the press dig a bit deeper. 
    Do the press really give a crap about us ?

The local might ask some but probably not cos they’re on tap anyway ?

Surely just the usual soundbite boring questions fired at him.

We need Henry’s 6 questions or however many it is !! 
  • Options
    Is there going to be anyone there today other than the Local Press?

Cant exactly see many National Newspapers being bothered by this unless they want to put 2+2 = 5 together thinking we're linked to Man City
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I agree that Matt Southall has earned and deserves a welcoming response from us on CL, but I also think he knew that going on video, every little thing would be scrutinised. Well I could have told him what to expect, look what happened after my appearance on that Olympic Stadium BBC documentary, supposedly laying bare the secrecy and evasions of the LLDC. All I got from this lot was @Fumbluff going on about my gilet, (and still does) and NLA pointing out my CAST badge wasn't straight :-) . 

It's just what British blokes do, and what's more, they were right. I looked again and realised that after 20 years I'd completely forgotten all the basic rules of TV/video appearances, and shelled out for a half day training with an ex news-anchor. Brilliant, it was. She banned the gilet for anything other than gardening duties. I'd recommend Matt to get something similar, worth every penny. It's like swimming lessons with video, you'll be doing it wrong all the time until someone who knows points out your mistakes and tells you how to do it right.
    Look at me, look at me, I’ve got a mustard gilet....

It's blue, ya muppet :-) The yellow was underneath. Big no-no on TV apparently, as is a white shirt. Matt knew all that, obvs,  likes a white shirt, but dressed in matching dark colours for this.
  • Options
    Thinking about it , Matt’s going to get a lot tougher questions heading his way when he does the national press conference, is that today?

We might find out a bit more about some stuff we’ve still got questions about, if the press dig a bit deeper. 
    Do the press really give a crap about us ?

The local might ask some but probably not cos they’re on tap anyway ?

Surely just the usual soundbite boring questions fired at him.

We need Henry’s 6 questions or however many it is !!

Six.

I spoke to someone close to MS yesterday and he brought up the sixth question before I could ask. He said there isn't one as it's a long term project. "Five, ten or twenty years"

"A steady walk up a hill" was how the future was described.
    A steady walk up a hill sounds a whole lot better than a bumpy ride
    Indeed it does @Six-a-bag-of-nuts
  • Options
    Oh shit 

• Options
    Amongst the pigeons that's put the cat.
  • Options
    Oh shit 

Bad news if true.
  • Options
    What on earth is going on...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh shit 

Now that is a problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Future players asking Bowyer how long he'll be around for... Lyle Taylor also wants him to sign a new deal

Said this the other day - How can we attract players when there is a chance the Manager wont be around, player is forced to risk a new man coming in and freezing them out (straight away their entire career can be at risk)

I also wonder if this is why Lyle rejected their deal for similar reasons; i.e. show the stability needed within the club, then we'll talk - Why else would he care if he wanted to leave?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Here's the story. It is true.

Quotes from Bowyer saying that Lyle Taylor and a perspective signing both want Bowyer to sign a contract first. He wants Southall and his agent to sit down this weekend and sort it out, not wait til the end of the month.
  • Options
    For clarity....you know.

I've spoken with his agent. And what we decided, for now, obviously being in January, is to focus on the playing side of things and try and tie that up after the window
  • Options
    Are ESI already telling porkies.. got a really bad feeling about all this you know.
  • Options
    I wonder if Bowyer's agent wasnt coming to the game when Southall initially spoke with Olly and said what he said the other day

With the player we want to sign coming out with those questions I simply wonder if its forced everyone into action
  • Options
    What times that press conference?
  • Options
    I said this last month and I will stand by it. ESI are reluctant to offer Bowyer a new deal IMO. 

We have won one game in 13, they want to wait another few games before deciding. In a way I don't blame them, but Bows has earned the deal and they will face a massive backlash if he went that's for sure. 
  • Options
    Are we sure it’s not Bowyers agent playing silly buggers by stalling any contract offer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If what Bowyer says in the article is true, they will be agreeing a contract this weekend.

There's also good news in that it sounds like Lyle will stay if Bowyer signs.
  • Options
    The problem is that they may not fully understand the enormity of the job Bowyer has done and it is their money. His recent record is poor although we all know that is because of injuries. But they have to question whether Bowyer has played a part in that. I suspect their approach is to give him a bit of backing and see what he can do for the remainder of the season before offering a new contract. Bowyer clearly is not happy with that. 

Don't get me wrong. I want Bowyer in charge and think he has worked miracles but I sort of expected ESI to approach it like this. You see managers who have got teams promoted to the Premier League get the sack after a poor start.  
  • Options
    They'll be signing Bowyer up sharpish. Think Bowyer holds all the cards right now and would be shocking start for ESI not to get him signed up at the beginning of their project if they want fans on board. Even though we have had a terrible run I actually think we've been pretty competitive with a very poor squad due to injuries.
  • Options
    A few mistakes in the way ESI are using the press to get messages out. It's clear Bowyer was never fine with delaying his contract nor was it his idea. Obviously this was the strange thing. Bowyer using the press to make sure his position is clear
  • Options
    Bowyers recent record of results has been poor, but in my opinion his recent record as the manager has been  good. 
    We have not been beaten out of sight which given our player availability is impressive. 
  • Options
    Southall's comments on Bowyer's contract were such an obvious red flag in that interview and I couldn't believe how everyone was so happy to gloss over that to spaff the bloke off for some broadly positive but ultimately very wishy-washy quotes. 

This is the real issue right now and that from Bowyer proves it. 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Lies already.  2 weeks ago they said the first thing they would do after the Takeover was agreed would be to tie down LB & his staff onto longer term contracts & now its that LB's will be discussed in February. 

I wonder if the slump in form has anything to do with it....??   Easy get out (with not much compo) if things haven't improved, rather than saddling themselves with a manager they no longer want.

Just a thought.
    @golfaddick has a point tbf.
    There's obviously been discussion about it. MS clearly stated Bows wanted to wait until February to discuss it to which MS agreed. What is Southall supposed to do? Hold a gun to his head until Bowyer signs the paper? 
     Like to think again now....?? 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    5 year contract offer has already gone to his agent (mentioned in press conference this afternoon).
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Although it may be a small aside that he mentioned Bowyer’s agent it may be an important piece of info. Maybe both parties are sizing each other up. Bowyer doesn’t want to commit to a long term deal if January doesn’t go as he wants signing wise. We know he has had offers from elsewhere and its perfectly reasonable  for him to keep his options open. May be the sensible approach for all concerned.
    I don't know if that's really the issue ..... what came across to me, was the urgency to strengthen the team in the January window, to rescue the season.

No doubt that is Bowyer's priority too.
    So urgent. Bloke can act then. 
    Lol
  • Options
    Did you have to bump this thread.

It makes for bullshit reading now