Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall’s first interview

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    If I have one question mark after the interview, it was his stance on youngsters leaving the club. He was kind of advocating it at one point. I.e.Gomez. But then saying it would never happen under his watch i.e Aribo?
    Yh did feel a bit like mixed messages there. Maybe he didn't communicate it right, would be good to get clarification. 
    Probably that future England captains wont leave for 1mil, but the reality is 95% of football teams are selling clubs nowadays so you keep hold of them with decent contracts and get market value. 

Exactly the same goes for Aribo 
  • Options
    @Grapevine49 I’ve always used the 100-day rule when starting a new managerial role, a big project, or when I started my own business.  

It’s a great discipline to implement, and provides a realistic time period to carry out an assessment 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    @Grapevine49 I’ve always used the 100-day rule when starting a new managerial role, a big project, or when I started my own business.  

It’s a great discipline to implement, and provides a realistic time period to carry out an assessment 
    Which, for our new owners, means 11 April 2020
  • Options

I have deliberately not yet watched the Southall introductory interview.

I am pleased he gave it. I am pleased he opened the door to his stakeholders.

It sets the right tone for his organisation. In this aspect of his role he is in the business of setting and managing expectation with investors and all stakeholders.  

I will watch it but I was first interested in gauging "stakeholder" reactions to his words & performance and the expectations they think he has set though I am mindful the 140 byte instant demands of the internet rarely relate to the real business world. At this stage I view the expectations of some in relation to ESI activities as seriously unrealistic.

There are implications and complications related to the timeline of the deal being completed and I recognise the nature of the very troubled business ESI have acquired.

What do they say about each new President? Judge me after my first 100 days? Well some it seems started that clock ticking from an effective date of November 27. Clearly Mr Southall has had some opportunity to complete some preparatory work but the real work could not be started before the completion of the club purchase on January 2.

Do I think ESI in a perfect world has a missed a step or two? I do but this is a new business with a new executive team taking over a business which has operated without a discernible CEO for 2yrs (at least), with no effective boardroom for 6yrs, with a skeleton staff overseen by a remote Mr 2%, who entrusted the sale to an off site, part time accountant.

It is no surprise so many prospective buyers walked away.

I do like the skill sets evidenced within ESI to this point. HE Tahnoon Nimer as Chairman of an investment house for 13yrs will need little advice on corporate structure, financial planning or strategy, while McHugh offers industry finance experience with Heller providing a background in corporate and organisational disciplines. Mr Southall offers generic business skills, specific market experience and networking skills. The latter is the face of the business to the industry and stakeholders. His "front of house" skills will be important.  

Can we be clear however Mr Southall is in executive terms walking into a corporate desert where the inhabitants have lived with the trials, tribulations, stresses and exhaustion of being taken over for nearly 2yrs. He, the business, and we will need time to adjust. We need to allow him, the new business and ourselves time to breathe.  

Will ESI and Mr Southall make mistakes? Absolutely. Will I agree with everything they say and do? Absolutely not, but for the first time in probably 5yrs we appear to be not only reading the same book, but starting at least on the same page.

Providing Mr Southall can keep the majority of us turning the pages together then ESI can offer us a viable and hopefully successful future.

Not in-depth enough analysis for me Grapevine ;-) 
  • Options
    Cracking effort Lookie.

Take the 'you know's out and I reckon you could have saved yourself a good hour banging the keys!

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There weren't really any red flags in Roland's first interview either, or certainly not that were particularly evident without the benefit of hindsight.

Didn’t Roland say that he was an unusual kind of owner because he didn’t care about winning?
    Just dancing after the game.
  • Options

I have deliberately not yet watched the Southall introductory interview.

I am pleased he gave it. I am pleased he opened the door to his stakeholders.

It sets the right tone for his organisation. In this aspect of his role he is in the business of setting and managing expectation with investors and all stakeholders.  

I will watch it but I was first interested in gauging "stakeholder" reactions to his words & performance and the expectations they think he has set though I am mindful the 140 byte instant demands of the internet rarely relate to the real business world. At this stage I view the expectations of some in relation to ESI activities as seriously unrealistic.

There are implications and complications related to the timeline of the deal being completed and I recognise the nature of the very troubled business ESI have acquired.

What do they say about each new President? Judge me after my first 100 days? Well some it seems started that clock ticking from an effective date of November 27. Clearly Mr Southall has had some opportunity to complete some preparatory work but the real work could not be started before the completion of the club purchase on January 2.

Do I think ESI in a perfect world has a missed a step or two? I do but this is a new business with a new executive team taking over a business which has operated without a discernible CEO for 2yrs (at least), with no effective boardroom for 6yrs, with a skeleton staff overseen by a remote Mr 2%, who entrusted the sale to an off site, part time accountant.

It is no surprise so many prospective buyers walked away.

I do like the skill sets evidenced within ESI to this point. HE Tahnoon Nimer as Chairman of an investment house for 13yrs will need little advice on corporate structure, financial planning or strategy, while McHugh offers industry finance experience with Heller providing a background in corporate and organisational disciplines. Mr Southall offers generic business skills, specific market experience and networking skills. The latter is the face of the business to the industry and stakeholders. His "front of house" skills will be important.  

Can we be clear however Mr Southall is in executive terms walking into a corporate desert where the inhabitants have lived with the trials, tribulations, stresses and exhaustion of being taken over for nearly 2yrs. He, the business, and we will need time to adjust. We need to allow him, the new business and ourselves time to breathe.  

Will ESI and Mr Southall make mistakes? Absolutely. Will I agree with everything they say and do? Absolutely not, but for the first time in probably 5yrs we appear to be not only reading the same book, but starting at least on the same page.

Providing Mr Southall can keep the majority of us turning the pages together then ESI can offer us a viable and hopefully successful future.

An excellent snap shot of the current business & the directors strengths.

Nothing in business happens overnight & judging from MS on how much non footballing stuff needs to be done it sounds like there's quite lot of work to do in order for the business  to become fully functional, MS mentioned he inherited a  'skeleton company' 

It sounds like they already know what areas of the business that needs addressing, early indications suggest things will be put right which is exciting. 

Superb post grapevine 
  • Options
    Many thanks for that, Lookie.

I find it easier to digest everything discussed when it's written down as there's time to pause, question a statement & reflect on Matt's opinions piecemeal.

For my part, I like what I see and I like what I hear.

On the whole, putting minor reservations to one side at this early stage of ESI's stewardship, I can't believe there are too many Addicks that could find any major fault in what's been done/said thus far. 

Agreed, the benchmark over the past 6 years or more, was set exceedingly low - one not even the most double jointed limbo dancer could master  - but with the help of us, the faithful, this could be the start of an exciting new era for our famous football club. 

I stuck my wrinkly old neck out a couple of days ago but will repeat what I wrote then.....

Matt Southall - one of our own.

( As long as he doesn't move the POTY dinner to Abu Dhabi.....)  
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks to @LoOkOuT's sterling work I can announce there were 67 you knows.
  • Options
    In terms of His Excellency attending a game before the end of the month, well it's Saturday, or February.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In terms of His Excellency attending a game before the end of the month, well it's Saturday, or February.
    He's coming on Saturday 😁👍
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Hopefully a mod will look favourably upon me and bestow a highly coveted promote.
    A real mod would’ve been able to do some sort of magic and get that in one post.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a famous Red once said

"Even a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step"
    Was that Kenny Dalgleish?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Just listened to it and despite actions being more important than words, in my opinion the words were, all things considered, pretty perfect.

Exactly the kind of words and tone I was hoping for, even if they are rehearsed/planned, they are still the chosen words. Passionate, but controlled. Ambitious but realistic. Sincere and honest.

Couldnt give a monkey about blowing silly money. Doesn’t guarantee anything. The sustainable, long term approach is one I can appreciate, as is the emphasis on the academy and the importance of fan and community engagement.

• Options
    Good interview. MS comes across as both likeable and well intentioned. Love the subsequent self deprecating humour. I do agree with Golfie about the name dropping though, to me it came across as a little false, like why would this guy have a clue who Konch was? Trying too hard perhaps, but that's no crime.

I'm certainly going to let that spoil it though. I'm delirious that old yellow tooth has gone. I may be a little wary of anyone new, given the way this club has been run since Curbs was allowed to leave, but so far I don't think Matt Southall could have done much better.
  • Options
    Several different streams here. 

Exit Duchatelet - is he gone?

Entry of ESI - Initial tone and outlay which a window provides some insight, we’ve already upped our wage budget it seems

Medium term - survival in the championship, securing players, staff and bring in bodies, deeper fan engagement

so a fair bit to judge in a short period, then there is

longer term investment, summer transfers, training ground, Valley, even deeper fan engagement, success or failure against objectives

its interesting what a difference good comms can make or perhaps it’s just the relief at new ownership, as someone remarked the structure is similar to before in terms of running the club, with Meire being Southall, HE being RD, were even having to move on our best player. Hopefully no crappy loan players and team interference - this is the big difference so far it seems.
  • Options
    As the club chairman, it seems reasonable that he would know that when the boy Henry played on Saturday he was up there with Shelvey and Konchesky as one of our youngest ever. As a footy fan, he would be aware of those two who played in the Prem (Shelvey still does) and also for England.

A very encouraging start by the new regime, he comes across well and that can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Stig said:2
    " like why would this guy have a clue who Konch was? "
    Quite simple.  He and HE will have commissioned due diligence on the club they were buying. They would have based their decisions of the historic performance of the club both sporting and financial and the fact that our academy has produced valuable assets historically that have played in the premier league will have been part of the fianacial decision making. These are things that Roland did not do before acquisition.

I continue to be pleased that they have not only done this but are confident enough in their decision making to talk about the asset they have acquired in a positive light.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Stig said:
    Good interview. MS comes across as both likeable and well intentioned. Love the subsequent self deprecating humour. I do agree with Golfie about the name dropping though, to me it came across as a little false, like why would this guy have a clue who Konch was? Trying too hard perhaps, but that's no crime.

I'm certainly going to let that spoil it though. I'm delirious that old yellow tooth has gone. I may be a little wary of anyone new, given the way this club has been run since Curbs was allowed to leave, but so far I don't think Matt Southall could have done much better.
    I wouldn’t expect someone to know Konchesky was our second youngest debutant, but it probably came up in conversation after Sunday’s game. I’d expect most football fans of his age to know of him. As well as playing for us he played Prem football for Liverpool, Spurs, Fulham and West Ham and was capped by England.
  • Options
    Thinking about it , Matt’s going to get a lot tougher questions heading his way when he does the national press conference, is that today?

We might find out a bit more about some stuff we’ve still got questions about, if the press dig a bit deeper. 
  • Options
    Thinking about it , Matt’s going to get a lot tougher questions heading his way when he does the national press conference, is that today?

We might find out a bit more about some stuff we’ve still got questions about, if the press dig a bit deeper. 
     Was thinking that. Wonder if he'll be on his own? Might be better having someone like Gallen alongside him.
    Doubt Heller will get involved. He's just the sheikhs eyes and ears and there to keep tabs on Southall I assume.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The third youngest player after Shelvey and Konchesky was tweeted by @CafcFactsStats and then by the museum so he might have been told by someone or seen it on twitter.