Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall’s first interview

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Speaks highly of academy. Makes it clear that bringing players through is an example of how to make things work.

He would not have let Aribo go to Rangers.
    How could anybody stop him?
    Think he meant we would have had him tied down to a decent contract
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Southall saying that Bowyers agent wants to get the transfer window out the way first makes ne think that Bowyer wants to see the investment before he agrees a new contract
    Or he doesn't want his own contract to get in the way of signings that improve the team 
    Surely seeing a manager on a 2 or 3 year deal, makes players more confident when joining rather than seeing a manager on  a 6 month deal who could be gone at the end of the season

pretty confident that's a given and will be sorted asap at the end of Jan - and will be conveyed to any potential signing.

great interview and a very impressive fella.

couldn't really have said any more to be fair to him

• Options
    edited January 2020
    PWR

So sounds like breaking FFP in dodgy ways will be the approach of these new owners (unless they've said things today to make it sound that way to the authorities)

Selling kids will still be the norm because its the only proper way we'll be able to increase revenue to compete higher

Wonder if thats one thing that the fans have to accept they might not be happy about but will be the sort of decisions that Southall will be forced to make

Of course so long as the £11m we get in for Aaron Henry one day etc. goes straight back into the team (rather than Roland's pocket) is fine by me

Fans coming back and filling the stadium will also help as that increased revenue can also go to keep in line with FFP

All FFP is though is a way to keep clubs like Charlton from being taken over and dislodging your bigs clubs from their perch (Although Arsenal and Man Utd are doing well enough without our help)
  • Options
    Man Love for Southall 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cant decide who come across better him or Katrien ;)
    I thought he was a Londoner? Sounds more Manc to me
  • Options
    Although it may be a small aside that he mentioned Bowyer’s agent it may be an important piece of info. Maybe both parties are sizing each other up. Bowyer doesn’t want to commit to a long term deal if January doesn’t go as he wants signing wise. We know he has had offers from elsewhere and its perfectly reasonable  for him to keep his options open. May be the sensible approach for all concerned.
  • Options
    Over to you now Matt, sign some players, proper players not all out of contract players looking for clubs or youth loan signing's oh and give Bowyer a contract too.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Everything said was good, it sounded sensible and plausible.
    Now we have to get down to work.
    I agree. The only thing that slightly concerned me was not signing Bowyer & Co up until after the transfer window has closed. I’d be keen to hear other lifers thoughts on this.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Everything said was good, it sounded sensible and plausible.
    Now we have to get down to work.
    I agree. The only thing that slightly concerned me was not signing Bowyer & Co up until after the transfer window has closed. I’d be keen to hear other lifers thoughts on this.
    Playing devils advocate against Southall

Reminds me of Curbishley / Murray - They used to get the Managers contract sorted first because how could you sit down with a player and asure them that the Manager conducting talks would be around in three years etc. when their own deal is due to end well before then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There’s nothing to moan or worry about. Anyone would’ve been better then Roland. I could’ve won the Euro Millions and purchased Charlton I would’ve been better then Roland. 100% behind Matt!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Southall “He knows”...

Short term
    Long term 
    and ain’t gonna be taken for a ride just because our financial backers are from Dubai
    Fair play
    ambitions are sustainability 
    :o Though never mentioned the premier league 
    im sure he meant too (but just saying)
    agree with others that surely rewarding Bowyer with a new contract now would help I’m signing players (shows commitment from the new owners) I’m surprised Olli didn’t push him more on this question.

it did feel a bit pre rehearsed (I.e matt had seen the questions beforehand and had time to rehearse his answers or withdraw questions) 

especially as we haven’t had an official press conference for people to fire questions 

anyway he talks the talk - let’s see if he can walk the walk (as every fan will hold him responsible for)

Please share and post your thoughts?

thanks #UpTheAddicks
  • Options
    Just listened to the interview and the new chairman came over as a sensible individual, financially grounded and with a knowledge of football and most importantly how the transfer system and agents work. Encouraged by his caution and that  of Lee only agreeing to negotiate a new contract when the intentions of the new owners have been demonstrated. It aligns with their view of the Lyle situation as well. Ihave a good feeling but recognise that supporters and management may not always agree what is right.
  • Options
    good interview, reassuring in lots of ways, think he under played how much money is going in. Also think he answered the ‘future stars’ question well, everyone apart from City and the Spanish Giants are selling clubs, so get the best possible price for them
  • Options
    Mike Southall “He knows”...

Short term
    Long term 
    and ain’t gonna be taken for a ride just because our financial backers are from Dubai
    Fair play
    ambitions are sustainability 
    :o Though never mentioned the premier league 
    im sure he meant too (but just saying)
    agree with others that surely rewarding Bowyer with a new contract now would help I’m signing players (shows commitment from the new owners) I’m surprised Olli didn’t push him more on this question.

it did feel a bit pre rehearsed (I.e matt had seen the questions beforehand and had time to rehearse his answers or withdraw questions) 

especially as we haven’t had an official press conference for people to fire questions 

anyway he talks the talk - let’s see if he can walk the walk (as every fan will hold him responsible for)

Please share and post your thoughts?

thanks #UpTheAddicks
    Mike??