Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2020

Comments

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52514110

The BBC have done a survey asking people to choose their county's greatest overseas player, and it struck me looking at Kent's choices, that while Iqbal and Shepherd were great county stalwarts, they weren't at the world class level of many of the other county's stalwarts, back in the days when overseas players would return year after year.
    Richards
    Garner
    Clive Lloyd
    Sobers
    Imran
    Hadlee
    Wasim
    Hadlee
    Proctor etc
  • Options
    The Hundred has been moved to 2021 - shame!!!!

Here's hoping we do get some decent cricket this season anyway
    Won’t notice the difference for county games
    Not normally, but if cricket was the first sport to allow an audience in, I imagine a number of sport starved fans would be there, even for Glamorgan vs Leics in Div 2!
    If it was at their outstation at Colwyn Bay, it would be very pleasant too.
  • Options

The BBC have done a survey asking people to choose their county's greatest overseas player, and it struck me looking at Kent's choices, that while Iqbal and Shepherd were great county stalwarts, they weren't at the world class level of many of the other county's stalwarts, back in the days when overseas players would return year after year.
    Richards
    Garner
    Clive Lloyd
    Sobers
    Imran
    Hadlee
    Wasim
    Hadlee
    Proctor etc
    Carl Hooper ?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Richards
    Garner
    Clive Lloyd
    Sobers
    Imran
    Hadlee
    Wasim
    Hadlee
    Proctor etc
    Carl Hooper ?
    He was my first thought too.
  • Options
    Hooper was one of the Kent choices (Aravinda da silva was the other) though I'd argue that Hooper, for all his talent and elegance, was a step down from the 1970/80s legends who had played over here
  • Options
    Matt Henry !
  • Options
    Hants fans have a tough choice - Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Malcolm Marshall and Shane Warne! 

To think they used to be able to see Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge opening the batting every week. With all due respect to them, Felix Organ and Ian Holland don't quite create the same image! 
  • Options
    Notts are impressive too

Clive Rice
    Gary Sobers
    Richard hadlee
    David Hussey

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Notts are impressive too

Clive Rice
    Gary Sobers
    Richard hadlee
    David Hussey

Franklyn Stephenson as well 
  • Options
    Lancashire have a few....

Wasim Akram
    Clive Lloyd
    Muttiah Muralitharan.
    Farokh Engineer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jimmy Cook couldn't get in Somerset's four even though he scored over 7,500 runs including 28 hundreds in three seasons at the club.

Cook was the first in the land to 1,000 first-class runs (June 21) and then 2,000 (August 5), compiled the highest aggregate in a début Sunday League season (556 runs), and became the first player since 1911 to carry his bat through both completed innings and hit hundreds in each when he scored 120 not out and 131 not out in totals of 186 and 218 against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge.

In all matches for Somerset that season he scored 3,143 runs including eleven hundreds, four of them in consecutive Championship innings. There were centuries, first-class and one-day, on July 10, 16, 19, 21, 22 and 28, and in one period he batted for 14 hours 45 minutes between dismissals. In one sustained period of ten days' cricket, he spent just under seven days on the field.

• Options
    What about a worst ever overseas player for each county?

As a Kent fan I respectfully nominate Daryl Cullinan as a contender along with Hartley Alleyne and / or Tony Merrick on the bowling side.
  • Options
    Got nothing on Sanga #King
  • Options
    Or KP!!!!
  • Options
    Or KP!!!!
    Ouch 
  • Options
    Sanga said he wished he could play in the 100 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Sanga said he wished he could play in the 100 
    As he wouldn't have to play for Surrey then  :)
  • Options
    Get well soon, Big Rob.
  • Options
    Get well soon Rob. That's a bit of a shocker, he's only 41
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very shocked 😳 
    Get well soon Rob 🙏🏻❤️
  • Options
    Get well soon Rob
  • Options
    A great captain and batsman. Get well
    soon Rob.
  • Options
    Good cricketer
    Good on sky
    And a good bloke. 
    Get well soon Rob 
  • Options
    That's a shock. Hope he makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Has anyone seen the latest video Kent have posted up on Facebook? I won’t place the link here, it has made me feel sick.
    Its fair to say I like Denly and Billings a lot less now. 
  • Options
    Are they still pissing about at Palace's training-ground lol
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Has anyone seen the latest video Kent have posted up on Facebook? I won’t place the link here, it has made me feel sick.
    Its fair to say I like Denly and Billings a lot less now. 
    I'm just ignoring it, it's for the best!

I notice that Palace are part using Beckenham so that they have self isolating entrances into their training ground next door. 
  • Options
    Get well soon Rob. A real Kent man. One of the ironic things is he looked slimmer recently than at the end of his playing days! 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Get well soon Rob. A real Kent man. One of the ironic things is he looked slimmer recently than at the end of his playing days! 
    That is my feeling too but he was a unit throughout his career - in fact the first time I saw him was when he was a 19 year old who had just got out for Beckenham and was sitting on the side reading the Racing Post smoking and drinking a pint.

He himself said this last year:

“I always say I look back with no regrets, but that’s a lie,” he says. “I would rather have played for England a lot more than I did. That way I’d have quite a bit more money and no mortgage. Oh well! Why didn’t I play more for England? Well I didn’t score enough runs. And I’m not someone who made the most of everything, I never gave myself the best chance as the game became increasingly professional.

“I loved batting and worked as hard as anyone on that. But you look back and wonder what might have been if I was a bit fitter, looked after myself better, had I been able to field better."