Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2020

Comments

• redman said:
    Get well soon Rob. A real Kent man. One of the ironic things is he looked slimmer recently than at the end of his playing days! 
    That is my feeling too but he was a unit throughout his career - in fact the first time I saw him was when he was a 19 year old who had just got out for Beckenham and was sitting on the side reading the Racing Post smoking and drinking a pint.

He himself said this last year:

“I always say I look back with no regrets, but that’s a lie,” he says. “I would rather have played for England a lot more than I did. That way I’d have quite a bit more money and no mortgage. Oh well! Why didn’t I play more for England? Well I didn’t score enough runs. And I’m not someone who made the most of everything, I never gave myself the best chance as the game became increasingly professional.

“I loved batting and worked as hard as anyone on that. But you look back and wonder what might have been if I was a bit fitter, looked after myself better, had I been able to field better."

The late Brian Luckhurst told me that Rob Key had the ability to be better than anyone at Kent during his 50 years as player, coach, manager and so much more but that it was up to him.

RIP Brian.
  • I’ve just won a copy of Rob Key’s book on Twitter!
    To say I’m delighted is an understatement.

The #cafc announcement later is really going to piss on my chips isn’t it 😩
  • I’ve just won a copy of Rob Key’s book on Twitter!
    To say I’m delighted is an understatement.

The #cafc announcement later is really going to piss on my chips isn’t it 😩
    Well done you ! 

Hope it's signed.

Maybe it's THE day for good news.....
  • Update from Rob Key:

Had to open a new account as I can’t get into my old one. have locked me out and I’ve tried for ages to get in touch with them. Thanks to everyone wishing me well. I’m doing great thanks
  • No domestic professional cricket before 1st August. Possibility of recreational cricket before then with ECB discussing it with the Government.

Strange one that appears actually to have very little to do with safety. It seems that counties don't want to take their players off furlough with the possibility of no income as a result of having to play behind closed doors. 
  • No domestic professional cricket before 1st August. Possibility of recreational cricket before then with ECB discussing it with the Government.

Strange one that appears actually to have very little to do with safety. It seems that counties don't want to take their players off furlough with the possibility of no income as a result of having to play behind closed doors. 
    It feels weird to be watching football in July but not cricket

I imagine they'll be desperate to get the Blast played, as the one form of domestic cricket that generates some TV income

• Look what arrived today 😊
  • A bit harsh to describe himself as a journeyman cricketer, he was better than that!

I'd be interested to hear what happened with the Ed Smith/Andrew Symonds affair which cost us 2 players, Smith and Loudon
  • Sadly Knotty failed the infamous Charlton height test!
  • Sponsored links:

I think the picture was just before he was about to sign a Charlton contract as a goalkeeper. But, then, there was a contractual hitch. Does anyone else remember the hitch Knott?
    I think the picture was just before he was about to sign a Charlton contract as a goalkeeper. But, then, there was a contractual hitch. Does anyone else remember the hitch Knott?
    You must have been smoking a reef-er to be making that joke...
    You must have been smoking a reef-er to be making that joke...
    Certainly not, @killerandflash. I think Alan played non-League football. I’m sure his team got the double against Windsor & Eton. I remember the double Windsor although some said it should have been a tie.
  • The ECB have announced that professional cricket will commence on 1st August. Format of competitions are to be decided between the 18 counties in early July.

Rumours are circulating that club cricket will be allowed to start as early as the 11th July with an announcement in this regard to be made this week. Which all seems very strange to me given that this will be three weeks before the pro games do commence. I suppose it's because many counties have not been able to allow their furloughed pros to train whereas the amateurs have been doing so for a good few weeks.
  • Great stuff !!!!

Something to look forward to once the footie has finished.
  • The ECB have announced that professional cricket will commence on 1st August. Format of competitions are to be decided between the 18 counties in early July.

Rumours are circulating that club cricket will be allowed to start as early as the 11th July with an announcement in this regard to be made this week. Which all seems very strange to me given that this will be three weeks before the pro games do commence. I suppose it's because many counties have not been able to allow their furloughed pros to train whereas the amateurs have been doing so for a good few weeks.
    Yes, county cricket is like L1 and L2 football in that  financially they can't afford to play without any spectators/hospitality money as the TV money, especially for the red ball game, is peanuts
  • Hoping early games will be streamed. Maybe even allowed to attend in September? 
  • Kolpak contracts to end in 2021 but counties will be allowed two overseas players. Back to the old days and more of a level playing field.
  • Kolpak contracts to end in 2021 but counties will be allowed two overseas players. Back to the old days and more of a level playing field.
    I thought Kolpaks ended this year but I may be wrong.
    I thought Kolpaks ended this year but I may be wrong.
    Technically they do end this year but on 31st December so can play this season but in 2021 they will have to become overseas players.

Sean Dickson, born and bred in South Africa, will be fine because his mother is British and he holds a UK Passport but Kuhne would have to be one of our overseas.
  • Sponsored links:

• South Africa was badly affected by Kolpak defections, so good for them that in future they won't permanently lose players in this way. Not such an issue with older players like Morkel (or Kuhne) but bad for the international game for them to lose someone like Harmer
  • Sean Dickson has joined Durham initially on loan and then permanently at the end of the season. Kent have said that he turned down a contract extension but I just wonder whether we might have offered him either a reduced terms contract or perhaps just a red ball contract in the same way as Alex Blake has a white ball one.

I believe that there are going to be something like 120 players out of contract at the end of the season and in the current financial climate there is no doubt that counties such as Kent will have to cut their cloth accordingly.

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/dickson-to-join-durham/
  • Slightly surprising, with Crawley (and Denly?) away this summer, but then it's not going to be much of a red ball season anyway

Going to Durham is a step down for for Dickson, Div 2 and you can't imagine them being big payers
  • edited July 2020
    I make this our squad for the season in all disciplines:

Sam Billings (possible England duties)
    Daniel Bell-Drummond
    Alex Blake (white ball)
    Jordan Cox
    Zac Crawley (possible England duties)
    Joe Denly (possible England duties)
    Tim Groenwald
    Fred Klassen
    Heino Kuhn
    Matt Milnes
    Calum Haggett
    Jack Leaning
    Marcus O'Riordan
    Harry Podmore
    Hamidullah Qadri
    Imran Qayyum
    Ollie Robinson
    Adam Rouse
    Darren Stevens
    Ivan Thomas
    Grant Stewart

• Title winning squad there.
  • I know that there are two Ollie Robinson’s in county cricket but Kent have two Jack leanings 
  • I wonder if we have an opening batsman signing lined up, as we do seem rather short. I can understand letting Dickson go, but not for this summer with Crawley likely to be part of the England Test set up and Denly's availability unknown, seeing that he has a white ball contract
  • I know that there are two Ollie Robinson’s in county cricket but Kent have two Jack leanings 
    oops - duly amended!
  • I wonder if we have an opening batsman signing lined up, as we do seem rather short. I can understand letting Dickson go, but not for this summer with Crawley likely to be part of the England Test set up and Denly's availability unknown, seeing that he has a white ball contract
    I just think we have to let some players go because we can't afford to pay them - and if they can get that elsewhere they will. As I say 120 players are out of contract and probably only a third of those will actually secure new ones so it helps both us and Dickson him leaving now.

DBD will open possibly with Leaning but I could also see Ollie Robinson or even Jordan Cox doing it too. 
    oops - duly amended!
    I should have replied to your post as now you e deleted it, I could look stupid