Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*** Matt Smith joins on loan from Man City ***

Comments

• Options
    Underwhelmed. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Looking at his instagram seems like he gets on with Lockyer really well... it all helps.
  • Options
    My favorite Doctor
  • Options
    All the best Matt, hope you enjoy your time at the Valley.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    My favorite Doctor
    Hope you dont have to see him too often?
  • Options
    Much like Gallagher i've never heard of him, but totally trust Bowyer, Jackson, Marshall & Gallen. They won't have got someone in they didn't think could add to the squad.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Much like Gallagher i've never heard of him, but totally trust Bowyer, Jackson, Marshall & Gallen. They won't have got someone in they didn't think could add to the squad.

They certainly have not got somebody at the top of their list.
  • Options
    Also a former youth team mate of Leko and Field at West Brom
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a big believer that these academy loans from Prem clubs can have the biggest upside. I don't think we could have gotten players with the quality of Bielik, Gallagher, or Cullen any other way. That's just the way football is at the moment. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I'm a big believer that these academy loans from Prem clubs can have the biggest upside. I don't think we could have gotten players with the quality of Bielik, Gallagher, or Cullen any other way. That's just the way football is at the moment. 
    Tend to agree. Smith has played 40 games in the Dutch league and has 7 caps for Wales. 

Really good signing. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Tend to agree. Smith has played 40 games in the Dutch league and has 7 caps for Wales. 

Really good signing. 
    About the same number of games, at the same level, as Polish Pete :-) 
  • Options

Smith moved to Man City aged 14.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Oggy Red said:

Leko joined West Brom in 2010, Smith didnt leave for Man City till 2013 - both the same age

Field is a year older
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oggy Red said:

Leko joined West Brom in 2010, Smith didnt leave for Man City till 2013 - both the same age

Field is a year older

Yeah ..... but it was in direct response to SennockianRed, who said:

"Also a former youth team mate of Leko and Field at West Brom".

Boys teams are not really youth football though, are they? You'd have to be around 15 for that.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    SDAddick said:

Really good signing. 
    Dutch Second Division, not the Erividise (sp).
  • Options
    So three loans to date.

Preston cast off
    Sunderland cast off
    QPR cast off

No money spent. 

Genuinely believe if Gallen had been in charge we would have got better.
    Or to look at it another way......

An England U20 international with championship experience.
    Sunderland's player of the year.
    A Wales international who's come through Man City's academy.

Southall has been pretty clear that January is just for getting in some reinforcements to help us stay up. The time for spending money and rebuilding the squad is in the summer.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I thought I read that Smith was box to box.
    So far he has been a defensive midfielder, a box to box one, a qpr reject, a 6'5 center forward, a Wales legend, only capped by Wales to stop him playing for England, the next Colin Bell, the next Polish Pete, cover for Cullen, Lockyer's best mate, highly rated by Johnny Williams.  Have I missed anything? 
    Loves his Nan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    SDAddick said:

Really good signing. 
    About the same number of games, at the same level, as Polish Pete :-) 
    I doubt Steve Gallen would have scouted Polish Pete. He must see something in Matt. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do. 
  • Options
    I have not read all the comments, so forgive me if I am repeating what someone else has written.

I always assume that if a Premier League club loans out a player to a lower league club, it is because they want him to get regular first team experience? I think back to Chelsea recalling Scott Sinclair because Curbs hardly gave him a game.

He only played 8 games for QPR out of a possible 30 or so, so are City expecting him to play more for us? Some of the comments I have read are suggesting that he is here as cover for others - if that's the case I wonder how happy City will be with that scenario? 

What does everyone else think?   
  • Options
    I have not read all the comments, so forgive me if I am repeating what someone else has written.

I always assume that if a Premier League club loans out a player to a lower league club, it is because they want him to get regular first team experience? I think back to Chelsea recalling Scott Sinclair because Curbs hardly gave him a game.

He only played 8 games for QPR out of a possible 30 or so, so are City expecting him to play more for us? Some of the comments I have read are suggesting that he is here as cover for others - if that's the case I wonder how happy City will be with that scenario? 

What does everyone else think?   
    I think that Curbs was long gone by the time Sinclair was with us.
    Ah right - apologies - but whoever it was didn't play him and he was recalled. Unless my recall is wrong on that too - see what I did there... I'm wasted here...  :#  
  • Options
    Feels a bit like the tangerine in the Christmas stocking that those of us of a certain age will remember. Good luck to the lad but my whelm is undisturbed 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Wondering if this is a signing that fits the ESI model.
    maybe he will be let go by City in the next window and we can have a look at him in the U23s and first team.
    Sign him in the summer for a small fee ready for next season
  • Options
    Seemed really level headed in that interview and not full of himself. I actually think this will work out to be a really good deal for us............
    Because he interviews well?!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    SDAddick said:

Really good signing. 
    Division 2 in Holland is our league 1.
  • Options
    My goodness you are a welcoming lot. He is still a young Man City player who they have not let go of but loaned out. Before we judge we should sèe what he can do for us under LB's tutelage.
    Judge in haste and repent at your own leisure
  • Options
    My main concern is not whether he is a Man City player - it’s why he couldn’t make an impression in a distinctly bog standard QPR team. My missus best friends husband is sitting next to me now and said he was just bang average. He has been to Charlton and seen Gallagher play for instance and said Gallagher looks like a player who will make it for Chelsea. Smith looks like a player who won’t make it for QPR.

my feeling is this is an U23s signing more than anything else to see if he develops