Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January window postmortem

Comments

• edited January 2020
    I think this transfer window proves we don’t have rich benefactors . It’s a good window because we’ve strengthened and kept Lyle but I have my concerns that we couldn’t afford Maddison’s wages . 
    Maybe we wouldn’t pay his wages. Major restructuring in the summer. New wage structure etc. What we need right now is committed players, not a squabble about wages.
  • GK: Phillips Amos

RB/RWB: Matthews Solly
    RCB: Lockyer Oshilaja
    LCB: Sarr Pearce
    LB/LWB: Purrington Page

CDM: Pratley Field Davis
    CM: Cullen JFC Smith Morgan
    CAM: Williams Oztumer Aneke
    Wingers: Green, Mcgeady, Doughty

ST: Taylor, Bonne, Hemed

Back up players: Lapslie, Davison, Dempsey, Vennings

• @AFKABartramOshilaja is a defender and cover for Lockyer.

I wonder if Smith will play as a wing back?
  • Really not sure on squad balance.

If Taylor gets injured or sulky, we’re in trouble.

If Lockyer gets injured or suspended, we’re in real trouble.

We’ve 6 loans but can only name 5 in a squad, so automatically have someone not even making the squad.

I’m not sure how we are going to manage that midfield in terms of getting players match fit, continuity, understanding and playing in a set formation when it’s going to have to be rotated so much to simply keep them happy? Those three loans wouldn’t have signed today if they weren’t promised a fair crack of game time, would they?.

How do you pick 4 / 5 out of:

Pratley
    Cullen
    Field
    Davis
    Smith
    Williams
    Oztumer
    McGeady
    Green
    Doughty
    Oshilaja
    Forster-Caskey
    Morgan

Thats not even considering

Lapslie
    Aneke
    Dempsey

Out of that midfield list, Pratley, Doughty, Oshilaja and JFC have also played in the back 4 or 5 this season. Green and McGeady could probably play as a second striker. And most of them have been hospital cases in the last 12 months! 
  • Ok. Expected a couple of permanent signings. Not sure Smith was necessary but doubt he is costing much. Definitely expected another striker. If Taylor and Bonne are out at the same time we are in trouble.

The summer will be a complete rebuild what with six loaners and a fair few out of contract. Just hope MS and ESI are up to it.
  • I'm ok with it. We got a few solid players in and held on to a few that matter.

I did get caught up in the hype a little, so my expectations were artificially high, should have known better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not blown away but a workmanlike window. 3 new bodies ready to play on top of a returning squad of fit players. We are stronger tomorrow than the last 10 or so games. We will stay up.
  • edited February 2020
    First thoughts...

Ok / Bad, imo

anyone who says good is really straining to accentuate the positive imo
    OK.  I was going to say good overall but apparently not.

I think it was realistic.  Maddison looks like a p***k and Bostock is just a name but meh .  A signing from Bristol Rovers is hardly a big time season saving signing, is it?  A strong midfield will make all the difference and Bowyer does good team work it seems.

Looking forward to seeing Davis, and to see if Smith can show why he has been recruited and retained by Man City.  with our returns I think we have a good battling team.

This will do me til May.
  • edited February 2020
    I think it was good considering ESI appear to have a cash flow problem but I agree with Lee, that we didn't sell Taylor and that is a big bonus. Let's not complain about having too many  midfielders to pick from after playing an U20 midfield for a month !
    Still confused about ESI and the beg, borrow and steal approach to this window but we have a squad who can finish strongly. Still a lot to understand about our new owners and how much their are prepared to fund the team ?

• What I don't understand is we have six loans only five of which can be part of the matchday squad yet we're told Davis is out of contract at the end if the season at Brum.

Why isn't his a permanent short term transfer then so he can be part of the matchday squad along with the other five?
  • buckshee said:
    What I don't understand is we have six loans only five of which can be part of the matchday squad yet we're told Davis is out of contract at the end if the season at Brum.

Why isn't his a permanent short term transfer then so he can be part of the matchday squad along with the other five?
    Maybe if he’s on loan then Birmingham pick up part if his salary, on a perm then we have to cover it all? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok.

Have to be honest and say I know very little about any of the signings except McGeady. 

Davis sounds like cover for Pratley, which I assume makes Field, now, more cover for Cullen. 

Smith, I assume slots into Gallagher’s roll as the all action, more attack minded, box to box player.

We look over loaded for attacking mids with Green, McGeady, Williams, Oztumer, and Aneke, although we can now play with genuine width if we need too. 

Up front Taylor, Bonne and Hemed with Green/Aneke as backup should be enough assuming a) they all stay fit b) Hemed starts to look sharper with more matches.

I’m glad we signed mostly midfielders as that was the area most stressed by the injury crisis. Hemed was hardly available at all before Christmas so, cliche that it is, is effectively a new signing. 

My concern is that we haven’t adequately replaced Gallagher/Kayal. I know Kayal missed a lot of games but it’s my belief he was signed to play the roll that Gallagher ended up doing so well. I.e. energetic play, covering at lot of ground, and contributing with goals and assists. Smith hopefully brings some of this, but Davis sounds more defensive and McGeady is not going to cover the yards like that.

So for my mind, that leaves us short of having replaced Gallagher’s energy and goals. Perhaps that’s where Bowyer sees Doughty, but he hasn’t looked so comfortable centrally. If Smith is going to have play  for those reasons, it means one if the more established loans will have to miss out. I suspect there’s only room for two of Green or McGeady or Field in the match day squad. 
  • Average but MS dig himself a hole with all the hype. Still think we are light of quality up top. If LT gets injured for any length of time I think we will go down.
    Agreed, that squad looks unbalanced to me. 

I thought we had too many midfielders in August and of course they then all got injured, but surely that won't happen again?

Leko and Gallagher contributed much of our goal threat - 3rd and 4th in goals, 2nd and 3rd in assists, have we replaced this? We were definitely looking for a striker during the window, I can't believe that Bowyer 2 weeks ago especially wanted to sign 2 defensive midfielders?
  • The timing wasn't good as the new signings came in too late AND there are still several injured players, but it's disappointing that none of our younger players are out on loan in the EFL. Realistically the likes of Dempsey, Wiredu, Maloney (and maybe Morgan and Davison) will be nowhere near the first team, and at an age when they need regular adult football, and is the NL good enough?

The transfer window rules are ridiculous really, was it UEFA which banned emergency loans? Surely there should be dispensation for say L1 and L2 level clubs, so someone like Morgan could go to a decent club for a month or two, but could be recalled if necessary
  • Are our new players eligible for tomorrow?
  • edited February 2020
    Are our new players eligible for tomorrow?
    Not todays.  All after lunch.
  • buckshee said:
    What I don't understand is we have six loans only five of which can be part of the matchday squad yet we're told Davis is out of contract at the end if the season at Brum.

Can it be turned into a permanent in the next week or two? 
  • Are our new players eligible for tomorrow?
    Maybe just McGeady as it's unclear when Matt Smith signed and Davis was announced late.
  • edited February 2020
    Attacking midfielders score goals given the chance.  If we coldn't buy a proven striker a few good midfielders could cause enough anxiety for the oppo defence to swing those 1-1s to 2-1s and 0-1s to 1-1s.  It's the Charlton way.
  • McGeady definitely