Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January window postmortem

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Now we are expecting a 34 year old League 1 reserve player on loan, to transform our fortunes.

That's  a bit hopeful in my view.
    He was first choice all last season. 

He was moved out of the first team following disagreements with Parkinson. 

He's still played 21 games in all competitions this season. Scoring 6 and getting 2 assists.
    Although it didn't work yesterday, I think if we play 4-3-3 he could do a very good job for us. Would also give Williams a chance to play in the middle of the park where he can get on the ball more.

Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
            Pratley Williams Cullen
            Green Taylor McGeady
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    In today's Mirror.

Not wanting to generalise, but that's France and the French summed up in one newspaper clipping
    Weird that, as my French colleague at work is literally one of the hardest working people I have ever met. 
    I have worked with some hard-working French people too. But the story did remind me of at least three separate incidents on a previous trip to France so I know exactly what he means.
    I know a couple of hard working French too, but I wasn't really referring to their individual work ethic, more the way big (and small) business and government departments work. After living here for 11 years, my lived experience tells me that the way Toulouse acted the other week is generally the norm in France. If other people have had experiences to the contrary and found the French to be a super efficient nation, then I'll accept that's their experience, but it definitely ain't mine. 
    What did you do before you moved to France mate?  If you have mentioned it before sorry I missed it. 
    Electricician mate. Commercial, domestic, containment,  data etc etc. Backbone of industry basically 

What does an Electricician do?
  • Options
    This squad should be good enough to survive in this division. LB has to get the best out of them and individuals have to take responsibility for constantly switching off when defending. And I'm not just talking about defenders when I say that because too many times I've seen opposition runners not being picked up by the midfield. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Definitely bad. We lost a Premier League level player in Gallagher and replaced him with players who couldn't lace his boots. Also we failed to get Maddison. Not to mention that we were promised 'a marquee signing.' 
    I wouldn't complain but if you get supporters hopes up then you have to deliver. Best to say nothing.
    Smith is the replacement for Gallagher and he hasn’t yet played for us. Anyone proven to be as good as Gallagher isn’t going to sign for a club 21st in the Championship.

Davis replaces Kayal, so we now have a fit alternative to Pratley. After yesterday I just hope we don’t play them both alongside Cullen again.

McGeady is our alternative to Maddison. Both have good a goal and assist record in League 1.

MS said there would be marquee signings and that was a general point about any transfer window, he didn’t “promise” one would sign last month.
    It's optimistic to consider Smith a replacement for Gallagher, considering he struggled to get into the QPR side. Yes he might suddenly rediscover his form, but it's asking a lot
  • Options
    Definitely bad. We lost a Premier League level player in Gallagher and replaced him with players who couldn't lace his boots. Also we failed to get Maddison. Not to mention that we were promised 'a marquee signing.' 
    I wouldn't complain but if you get supporters hopes up then you have to deliver. Best to say nothing.
    Forest is a "bonus" game realistically but if we lose to Blackburn with an equally limp performance as today's, Matt will find the adulation starting to fade ...
    Forest isnt a "bonus" game. It carries 3 points like any other. We went into January mistakenly thinking those games were "bonus" ones & came out with just 2 points. Teams around us have won some of their "bonus" ones....notably Wigan beating Leeds.

We should be fighting & scrapping for every single point.
    I wasn't suggesting we shouldn't be fighting for every point, but with Forest in 4th at the moment 1 point from 2nd, and unlike Leeds in decent form, it's a tough ask to get anything out of Tuesday. Indeed it would have been a great time to play Leeds.

I expect us to play much better than Saturday and lose, akin to how after a poor performance at Derby (the easier fixture of the 2) we played better at Swansea (the harder fixture), and still lost
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Smith is the replacement for Gallagher and he hasn’t yet played for us. Anyone proven to be as good as Gallagher isn’t going to sign for a club 21st in the Championship.

Davis replaces Kayal, so we now have a fit alternative to Pratley. After yesterday I just hope we don’t play them both alongside Cullen again.

McGeady is our alternative to Maddison. Both have good a goal and assist record in League 1.

MS said there would be marquee signings and that was a general point about any transfer window, he didn’t “promise” one would sign last month.
    It's optimistic to consider Smith a replacement for Gallagher, considering he struggled to get into the QPR side. Yes he might suddenly rediscover his form, but it's asking a lot

Not sure he meant direct replacement in terms of ability. No one has seen him play yet to make that judgement.

You say it’s asking a lot but Gallagher hadn’t played men’s football until August and he was on course for POTY. I am firmly whelmed by Smith’s signing but it’s not impossible that he could become an important part of our team before May.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I meant he’s Gallagher’s replacement in terms of the role he’d play in our midfield. It may be that he barely plays a game for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointing window for sure. Saturday again highlighted the need for a new CB.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I meant he’s Gallagher’s replacement in terms of the role he’d play in our midfield. It may be that he barely plays a game for us.
    I would say Davis is more of a Gallagher replacement and Smith replaces Kayal. 
  • Options
    Overall a disappointing window, hopes built up with a load of BS about signings.

No money spent, no investment not great from new owners in all honesty.

Just hope we have enough to survive.
    The window was far more like a Roland window than I would have liked

Great we didn't sell Lyle, but it wasn't as if just keeping Lyle meant that we would be comfortable for the rest of the season
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Kayal was never there to get forward and score goals, had it worked out for him taking Pratley’s place in the team was the most likely role for him. Not seen Smith at all so only guessing, but I think he’s more likely to be encouraged to get in the box rather than Davis, who is more of a ball winning midfielder.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Kayal was never there to get forward and score goals, had it worked out for him taking Pratley’s place in the team was the most likely role for him. Not seen Smith at all so only guessing, but I think he’s more likely to be encouraged to get in the box rather than Davis, who is more of a ball winning midfielder.
    I was only going on comments from the players/Bows. Davis mentioned being box to box and Smith was described as a defensive midfielder. However, I think both are defensive midfielders to be honest. It would appear Bows would have preferred Bostock over one of Smith/Davies to replace Gallagher but ended up signing both because of the Toulouse saga. I cannot imagine he is delighted at having those two, Lapslie, Cullen, Pratley and Field. It's very defensive and we are really going to miss Gallagher's ability to get into the box and pop up with a goal. Best hope may be a return to fitness/form for JFC. 
  • Options
    I thought he described Smith as box to box. Compared him to Morgan but said he can also do the defensive side.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I was only going on comments from the players/Bows. Davis mentioned being box to box and Smith was described as a defensive midfielder. However, I think both are defensive midfielders to be honest. It would appear Bows would have preferred Bostock over one of Smith/Davies to replace Gallagher but ended up signing both because of the Toulouse saga. I cannot imagine he is delighted at having those two, Lapslie, Cullen, Pratley and Field. It's very defensive and we are really going to miss Gallagher's ability to get into the box and pop up with a goal. Best hope may be a return to fitness/form for JFC. 
    Gallagher going probably couldn’t be avoided, whether you think it was a money or (over)playing thing. That being said, if you have an asset that is so important to your business that, if you lose it, it means the difference between success and failure then you better have a plan for what you do if and when that happens. Particularly if there is a literal contractual clause that creates an opportunity for you to lose that asset at a specific time. We as a club - whether that be ESI and/or our coaching staff, didn’t prepare for Gallagher leaving and now we are in very big trouble. 

I think Saturdays performance is the most gutless I’ve witnessed since Bowyer has been in charge, we really could have got battered. That is enormously concerning to me, especially as for a long time we’ve said “when we start to get our players back...” well they are back and we don’t look any better.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    In today's Mirror.

Not wanting to generalise, but that's France and the French summed up in one newspaper clipping
    Weird that, as my French colleague at work is literally one of the hardest working people I have ever met. 
    I have worked with some hard-working French people too. But the story did remind me of at least three separate incidents on a previous trip to France so I know exactly what he means.
    I know a couple of hard working French too, but I wasn't really referring to their individual work ethic, more the way big (and small) business and government departments work. After living here for 11 years, my lived experience tells me that the way Toulouse acted the other week is generally the norm in France. If other people have had experiences to the contrary and found the French to be a super efficient nation, then I'll accept that's their experience, but it definitely ain't mine. 
    What did you do before you moved to France mate?  If you have mentioned it before sorry I missed it. 
    Electricician mate. Commercial, domestic, containment,  data etc etc. Backbone of industry basically 

What does an Electricician do?
    Sells sweets and wank mags in Grove Park
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gallagher was fairly unique in that he had the flair of an ex-winger, but also the pace of an ex-winger and a hunger to get stuck in.  Closing down is a given but when you have someone on you quicker than you expect, it leads to mistakes.  Not many similar midfielders out there. Aribo?
  • Options
    Window bad overall
    Losing CG was unexpected and will be sorely felt.
    Central defenders of 2nd division adequacy were critically needed.  I favour there not being any of sufficient standard available at sensible cost, over the proposition that LB, SG & JJ regard our 3 CH's as adequate.  If they don't think we need a much stronger backline, then we really are sunk.
    Sticking to their budget is a far, far better policy than hemorrhaging bundles on "marquee" signings.  All big ticket signings guarantee is bigger losses.
    Having 6 loanees when we can only field 5 looks daft.  I hope that's indicative of parent club intransigence rather than Charlton innumeracy.
    Will the arrivals strengthen the squad: McGeady - probably, the rest not so clear.  
  • Options
    Window bad overall
    Losing CG was unexpected and will be sorely felt.
    Central defenders of 2nd division adequacy were critically needed.  I favour there not being any of sufficient standard available at sensible cost, over the proposition that LB, SG & JJ regard our 3 CH's as adequate.  If they don't think we need a much stronger backline, then we really are sunk.
    Sticking to their budget is a far, far better policy than hemorrhaging bundles on "marquee" signings.  All big ticket signings guarantee is bigger losses.
    Having 6 loanees when we can only field 5 looks daft.  I hope that's indicative of parent club intransigence rather than Charlton innumeracy.
    Will the arrivals strengthen the squad: McGeady - probably, the rest not so clear.  
    That is a joke, right ?

Gallagher was the only fit player out of all our loaners in December !
  • Options
    Must have been something in the Troy Parrott rumour. Mick McCarthy saying he wishes the boy had come to us rather than staying at Spuds. 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Bow has said Smith is here to play the Gallagher role
  • Options
    In today's Mirror.

Typical whinging Pom
  • Options
    Having played 4 games since the window closed, what slightly concerns me about our business is that of the 4 players signed, while at least 2 of them will be important squad members (Green and Davis) and the other 2 may come good, none of them are obviously in our best 11

Gallagher, who we lost, definitely was in our best 11, so it's a concern that post the first ESI window we have actually ended up with a weaker first 11.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Having played 4 games since the window closed, what slightly concerns me about our business is that of the 4 players signed, while at least 2 of them will be important squad members (Green and Davis) and the other 2 may come good, none of them are obviously in our best 11

Gallagher, who we lost, definitely was in our best 11, so it's a concern that post the first ESI window we have actually ended up with a weaker first 11.
    Leko was also definitely in our first team and seems to have been forgotten by everyone.  I know that was an injury so not choice but him and Gallagher were instrumental in many goals, holding onto the ball and keeping us on the front foot
  • Options

Leko was also definitely in our first team and seems to have been forgotten by everyone.  I know that was an injury so not choice but him and Gallagher were instrumental in many goals, holding onto the ball and keeping us on the front foot
    Yes, as a second striker it's between him and Bonne, both ahead of Hemed and Green (who is more of a winger)

To me the team of the season, in the 442 diamond would be

Dillon
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr/Pearce Purrington/Doughty
                                 Pratley
                    Cullen                   Williams
                               Gallagher
                     Leko/Bonne     Taylor
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Bow has said Smith is here to play the Gallagher role
    Not seen this been said but if so then thats a load of dog poo........because what I could see from Saturday Smith has very little going for him & certainly nowhere near the attacking player Gallagher is.