Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January window postmortem

Comments

• Options
    It went the way I expected mostly.  Losing Gallagher was a surprise, but we didn’t sell anyone, and we got in players who can perform at this level. 

As others have said, this isn’t when you remake your team.  Unless someone was going to be a long term piece, they were never going to make a splash. I’d imagine that the Madison deal was contingent on him signing a new contract, and I assume he thought he could get more in the summer. 

Survival now, and then new player in the summer when you can pick up players without transfer fees  and don’t have to deal with the short window where everyone waits until the last minute to do a deal (on the selling side) in case someone comes along with something better. 
  • Options
    I’m not so sure that even dushateshit would have sold Taylor in this window with our safety far from assured and him now knowing how much harder it is to get money for a league one club...
  • Options
    I don't think that saying RD wouldn't have sold Taylor this window for completely different reasons to ESI, really makes any sense. Think it's aso worth pointing out that Bowyer seems pretty content with the final out come of the window.
  • Options
    I can't help thinking that we might have dodged a bullet in not signing Maddison. He strikes me as being a player you have to build a team around but not one to go to war with. For all his assists and goals, there will be times he will go missing or sulk.

Also believe that it is no coincidence that since Ferguson left him out of the squad, Peterborough have won four on the bounce including beating the previous top three in League One, namely Rotherham (2-1), Wycombe (4-0) and Ipswich (4-1).
  • Options
    Not had the best start to his Hull career. And I feel we made the right decision to not meet his wage demands. Does not mean he is not a decent player however.

Least we are not the ones paying to find out 
  • Options
    Leko much more experienced than Green?

Don't think so.

I liked Leko, frustrating as he was, but he's out for the season regardless.
    You're right. I didn't realize just how much Green has played for Villa. Given he made his debut at 16 or whatever, it feels like Leko has been around forever. But they're about the same age and have about the same number of senior appearances. 
  • Options
    If it keeps us in the division then it’s been a success but it’s going to take very much more to push us on. 
  • Options
    This window has been about sticking plasters; Major Surgery will be in the summer.
  • Options
    It was terrible, I'm really disappointed we couldn't agree a contract with Lee.
    Now he's walked out and we're without a manager.

I was nearly as gutted that Taylor went as expected to Brentford on an undisclosed fee.
    So now we don't have a fit striker worthy of that title.

Then we've lost 4 midfielders Gallagher, Leko, Kayal and Ledley and didn't replace them.

Relegation is looking very likely. I don't trust these new owners.

Then I woke up and realised none of it was true.
    We've signed Bowyer for a further 3 years.
    We've kept hold of one of the best strikers in the division.
    We replaced 4 midfielders with 4 midfielders, seems like a good idea to me having won once since October.
    I can't understand anyone wanting us to risk the same happening again.
  • Options
    If it keeps us in the division then it’s been a success but it’s going to take very much more to push us on. 
    This is the best summary I have seen. It’s all gonna come down to the outcome in May. If we stay up the approach will be deemed perfect.

If we go down then we didn’t do enough 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In today's Mirror.

• Options
    Adequate window, but no more.

Squad ought to be good enough to stay up, and I wonder if the deals we made were purely to achieve that?

As others have mentioned, and as will continue to be mentioned until we have an owner who also owns the ground as well, its all a bit strange at this stage. No permanent signings, just loans.
  • Options
    Think we’ll know a little more after the Stoke game. I’m sure we’ll see a couple of debuts. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    We'll have to see what happens from here, but I wonder what people's reaction is to the window after the Barnsley match. Against Barnsley we played exactly zero of the signings we got on deadline day, and only Andre Green was new from this transfer period. Despite that we won, we were decent if a little shaky at times, and we beat a team near us in the table. If you look back to the start of the season, we were flying at times, but we were getting results in unexpected places. Not counting Stoke, who leaned into being a basket case this season unexpectedly - meaning when we played them we were expected to get tonked - our results against the teams around us this season have been terrible. Pre-injury crisis we barely scraped a draw with Barnsley (23rd) in the last minute, lost to Wigan (22nd), Birmingham (17th), Millwall pre-bounce and Luton (24th), and then lost to Middlesbrough (18th) and Huddersfield (20th) as the injuries started to bite a bit. That's atrocious, we've lost to nearly evey team around us now, but this Barnsley match was the first time we've actually turned up and beaten a team we should be looking to beat. That's progress, and it was all achieved using players that we had available already, just with Green replacing Leko. That should be a reminder that there's a reason Bowyer kept saying he didn't need millions of new players as the players he has in the building are good enough. What he wanted was, in his words, 'bodies' to help ease players back from their injuries without having them break down again. We've seen Lyle get injured again, Cullen injure himself in training trying to rush back, JFC get a bad injury from being overplayed after returning from a serious injury, Purrington play through injury due to a lack of other options and Oztumer get injured after playing through a smaller injury. What we have now is 10,000 midfielders, meaning that JFC and Field can build up minutes from the bench without us having to make a decision about whether to throw them in for too long or continue to play kids who clearly aren't ready yet. Pratley can have a rest and Davis can play, Smith can come in and play, McGeady can swap with Williams to bring running into the midfield and hopefully save Jonny from getting murdered every game. Our best chance of staying up is with keeping our decent squad fit, and we've hopefully now brought in the players to do that, even if they're not going to completely change how they play themselves.

It's down to mentality and drive now. We know Taylor's good enough, we know Williams and Cullen are good enough, we have to start grinding out results against the teams around us as well as turning up with those battling performances against the likes of Leeds and Forest and we'll be fine. We didn't need to spend £10m on Toney this season to save ourselves and hopefully we'll show that in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    A sensible if not spectacular start. 

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Really starting to wonder why we didn't try and get in a defender. Maybe we tried and there were not many options, otherwise surely one of Davis and Smiths loan could have been used on one.

Stoke got Chester in so there must have been options. 
  • Options
    In today's Mirror.

Not wanting to generalise, but that's France and the French summed up in one newspaper clipping
  • Options
    In today's Mirror.

Not wanting to generalise, but that's France and the French summed up in one newspaper clipping
    Weird that, as my French colleague at work is literally one of the hardest working people I have ever met. 
  • Options
    In today's Mirror.

Weird that, as my French colleague at work is literally one of the hardest working people I have ever met. 
    I have worked with some hard-working French people too. But the story did remind me of at least three separate incidents on a previous trip to France so I know exactly what he means.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really starting to wonder why we didn't try and get in a defender. Maybe we tried and there were not many options, otherwise surely one of Davis and Smiths loan could have been used on one.

Stoke got Chester in so there must have been options. 
    There’s always options but I even with investment Stoke will have a much bigger budget than us. Chester’s an experienced player, probably on much bigger wages than anyone in our squad.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    In today's Mirror.

I have worked with some hard-working French people too. But the story did remind me of at least three separate incidents on a previous trip to France so I know exactly what he means.
    I know a couple of hard working French too, but I wasn't really referring to their individual work ethic, more the way big (and small) business and government departments work. After living here for 11 years, my lived experience tells me that the way Toulouse acted the other week is generally the norm in France. If other people have had experiences to the contrary and found the French to be a super efficient nation, then I'll accept that's their experience, but it definitely ain't mine. 
  • Options
    Definitely bad. We lost a Premier League level player in Gallagher and replaced him with players who couldn't lace his boots. Also we failed to get Maddison. Not to mention that we were promised 'a marquee signing.' 
    I wouldn't complain but if you get supporters hopes up then you have to deliver. Best to say nothing.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    In today's Mirror.

I know a couple of hard working French too, but I wasn't really referring to their individual work ethic, more the way big (and small) business and government departments work. After living here for 11 years, my lived experience tells me that the way Toulouse acted the other week is generally the norm in France. If other people have had experiences to the contrary and found the French to be a super efficient nation, then I'll accept that's their experience, but it definitely ain't mine. 
    What did you do before you moved to France mate?  If you have mentioned it before sorry I missed it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I expect ESI couldn't spend anything in January as they had spent all their money on buying the club.

Oh, wait....
  • Options
    Definitely bad. We lost a Premier League level player in Gallagher and replaced him with players who couldn't lace his boots. Also we failed to get Maddison. Not to mention that we were promised 'a marquee signing.' 
    I wouldn't complain but if you get supporters hopes up then you have to deliver. Best to say nothing.
    Forest is a "bonus" game realistically but if we lose to Blackburn with an equally limp performance as today's, Matt will find the adulation starting to fade ...
  • Options
    Now we are expecting a 34 year old League 1 reserve player on loan, to transform our fortunes.

That's  a bit hopeful in my view.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    In today's Mirror.

What did you do before you moved to France mate?  If you have mentioned it before sorry I missed it. 
    Electricician mate. Commercial, domestic, containment,  data etc etc. Backbone of industry basically 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Now we are expecting a 34 year old League 1 reserve player on loan, to transform our fortunes.

That's  a bit hopeful in my view.
    He was first choice all last season. 

He was moved out of the first team following disagreements with Parkinson. 

He's still played 21 games in all competitions this season. Scoring 6 and getting 2 assists.