Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January window postmortem

Comments

• Options
    Jesus it's 1 o'clock, I'm meant to be in work in the morning...  Night night all x
  • Options
    McGeady definitely
    Somebody posted earlier that McGeady trained Friday morning .... and looked sharp.

He'll be in the matchday 18 then.

• Options
    I think this window has just about been ok. I think all 4 of the signings will at some point tip some games in our favour and will give us some flexibility that we’ve desperately needed. McGeady will be interesting to watch as he has regularly frustrated me as an Irish fan but I have a feeling that Bows and the Euro games will release his best! Tbh I’m far more interested in how Bows is feeling with how everything was conducted through the window. I really think he would have expected a striker to sign and I thought either one of the two League 1 lads would have signed from Rovers or Blackpool but hey hum!
    The optimist in me is still hoping that Lyle signs a new contract, funded by Nimer, who will be blown away by him in our 5-0 win! All that matters now is getting behind the lads. COYR!
  • Options
    Reasonably happy.
    Think we have enough now to stay up.
    Think MS may be a bit disappointed as I surmise he had higher hopes earlier in the day but a number of targets he thought he was in with a good chance for didn’t work out, for one reason or another.
    Goes without saying a lot now depends on Taylor finding his pre injury form.....here’s hoping.
  • Options
    The lack of a new CB is a major disappointment. Can't rely on Sarr. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Ok. 

Replacing Leko, Gallagher, and Kayal with Green, Davis, Smith, and McGrady.

I would rank them:
    1. Gallagher 
    2. Kayal
    3. McGeady
    4. Leko
    5. Green 
    6. Davis 
    7. Smith 

Lost Gallagher but had no say in the matter and there is no way for a club like us to replace a player like that, with that kind of pedigree and upside. Kayal rarely played so while he could have been a real positive, he wasn't fit so it's no net loss. McGeady, if he stays fit, could be a coup and helps with creativity. Leko far more experienced than Green but there's not a whole lot in it between the two for me. A like for like in many ways. Davis decent, never been overwhelmed by him but haven't seen him much, experienced at this level. Smith  you would think at least has pedigree. 

The problem is, we needed a center forward. It's unlikely that Bonne will continue his goals return when he comes back. Taylor just coming back from injury and apart from a couple months (in which he looked the part) hasn't played at this level. Hemed coming back from injury. 

If Bowyer wants to continue with two up front, the numbers don't quite add up unless he sees Green and Aneke as CFs.

Again, okay. Brought in good players. Lost good players. But I don't k ow that the players were available for us to do all that much better. 

• Options
    edited February 2020
    MrLargo said:
    Seems like a long time since we've actually been in the market for buying players rather than getting in loans and frees (Bonne accepted). Generally feel a bit underwhelmed. However...

If we'd got Maddison in, in addition to the others, I think we'd all be feeling pretty excited now. Don't know much about any of the players we have brought in but got a lot of faith in Gallen and Bowyer.

We've kept Taylor. Would imagine we've turned away bids in the region of £3m to keep him until his contract runs out. Hopefully we can get him on a new contract, but credit to the new owners for risking losing him for nothing.

January is not a good time for doing sensible business, especially if everyone you're trying to buy off thinks you've got plenty of money to spend.

Roland's first window was a car crash. Kerm and Stephens sold for peanuts, with a plethora of comedy signings coming in, which Powell had clearly not had any input towards. There was plenty of us on here who already thought he was bad news by this stage.

Think we'll end up around 14th/15th if we can avoid the injury problems of the last couple of months. Jury is out on the new ownership - would like to see one or two early permanent signings when the summer window opens. Very reluctant to criticise Southall after the total lack of communication from Roland (apart from his "I've been on the sherry" rants) but I reckon he'd be doing himself a favour if he left the social media alone. Depresses me reading some of the moronic replies he gets, I'd be more than happy with a statement or two on the website instead of the Twitter stuff.
    I think it was Maddison or McGeady and we made the right choice hands down if it was Maddison at 2.5m (or whatever the fee actually was). Maddison on a six month loan, as he got with Hull, would have been preferable, but he has been a problem in the changing room at various points. Think we got the lower risk option. 

Agree about January not being a good time to do business. It's why I wasn't too fussed that we left it so late, at our level there's only so much that can be done in January. If it weren't for Leko and Kayal being hurt, and Gallagher getting a surprise recall, we wouldn't have needed to do much. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. 

Matt Southall has now liked two of my Tweets so as far as I'm concerned he's brilliant on Twitter and really appreciated well reasoned and thought out opinions. 
  • Options
    I'm in the good camp. We kept Taylor which was a good piece of business by itself, and we have 3 other players who can help us stay in this division. That's the aim for now. It's in the summer when the real building can start. The January window is not a good time to get quality signings so in the circumstances we've done ok I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Good. 

Kept Taylor. Made some signings. Didn't lose anyone

That should be enough to make sure we're able to sign players as a Championship club in the summer.
    You miss the first half of it then? We lost 4 players...
  • Options
    I think this transfer window proves we don’t have rich benefactors . It’s a good window because we’ve strengthened and kept Lyle but I have my concerns that we couldn’t afford Maddison’s wages . 
    Or didn't want to pay what he was asking without upsetting a lot of players on nowhere near that salary.  Williams supposedly took a massive cut from what he was on at Palarse last year, how would he feel if someone came in on three, four times what he's on who possibly isn't as good as him?
  • Options
    If we've done enough to beat Millwall and stay up, I'll be happy.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Ok window

Leko - Green
    Gallagher - Mcgeady
    Kayal - Davis
    Ledley - Smith

Haven't lost any numbers to the squad and Smith and Davis should be more reliable options due to not being injured or Ledley.

Not an amazing window but not a disaster either.
  • Options
    Not worried about overloaded squad of midfielders.

Unless you are Liverpool, playing a set way week after week, your opponents will just set up to nullify your threats.

At Championship level you can change things during the game and get results that way. LB I’m sure he will use an overloaded squad of midfielders to rotate players and keep opponents honest before and during games. 

Competition for places also keeps the players honest.

LB knows what he’s doing I reckon.

• Options
    Club is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If we'd signed Parrot and Idah then the moan would be why are we playing young untested players when we need experienced ones like McGeedy and Davis.

Maybe they didn't want to join us, maybe their clubs did want to loan them out, they haven't gone anywhere else.

Think we showed early season that we can compete with the teams in this division with our first team players and are now getting those players back.

The kids that have played have done ok and it will help them in a year or so when maybe they'll be ready to step up to the first team.

It's difficult bringing one youngster in the side but we had three or four at one time. 

I'm optimistic that we'll do ok and stay up but if we don't then so be it.
  • Options
    Underwhelmed but hoping that I’m wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Still no sign of any real money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mcgeady is a brilliant player last season, David Davis I am also happy with as maybes hes like younger version of pratley perhaps even better than him judging off the comments from Birmingham fans. Dunno about smith.

If Lyle Taylor stays fit and uninjured with these new players around him charlton will get performances they had earlier in the season without the injury trouble.
  • Options
    "it is what it is"
     Now it's up to us to do our bit and give the new owners and players a very noisy welcome and get behind the team.
  • Options
    I think this transfer window proves we don’t have rich benefactors . It’s a good window because we’ve strengthened and kept Lyle but I have my concerns that we couldn’t afford Maddison’s wages . 
    With respect, I don't think it proves anything. We don't know how much money they have and as MS said, everyone assumes we have money because when we made enquiries for players, clubs we're adding a zero. I suspect, that Maddison's agent was doing the same and we weren't playing ball. The guys we have in charge are shrewd businessmen and they will have a strategy for taking us forward. We now have a squad capable of seeing off relegation and the summer transfer window will be a whole new kettle of fish, in my opinion. By fending off offers for LT, they've given themselves 6 months breathing space to get him re-signed. 

The future's bright. The future is red and white
  • Options
    Would have liked a striker,but what would you have to pay in the january window,£20-30 k a week for anyone decent and proven.I am all for resisting paying daft wages out of desperation Jarred Bown whatever his name is reportedly 80k a week at west ham,Maddison £30k a wk and so on.We have a lot of midfielders now,but we said that at the start 0f the season and finished up playing the kids.We can now play a fresh and vibrant midfield in every game,how you keep everyone happy i dont know.
    Our squad is now good enough to stay up.Once safety is assured,that is when EFI will be put to the test.Taylor,Williams, must be offered tempting contracts for 2-3 years,Cullen should be sounded out as to his intentions,I know he wants to play for West Ham,but he has to be realistic.
    I hope that part of Bowyers signing of a new deal was under the promise that proper team building would begin in the summer.
    Meanwhile,Barnsley today,look forward to seeing the covered end in full voice from my seat in the East stand and hopefully can waken some of the people around me enough to join in.
  • Options
    Leko much more experienced than Green?

Don't think so.

I liked Leko, frustrating as he was, but he's out for the season regardless.
  • Options
    Leko -  6 career goals, 5 for us
    Gallagher - 6 career goals, 6 for us 

Shows how good LB/JJ are at bringing out the best in young players, no reason to expect it to be any different with any of the new lads who’ve come in.

What happened last January? Lost Grant and brought in Parker, wasn’t it?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    We won’t know for sure until after a few matches when the new signings will have had a chance to bed in and show us what they can do. 
    But what I do know is Gallen knows more about these players than I do. 
    My hunch, based on Gallen’s record, is that this window will turn out to have been fine. 
  • Options
    Bowyer must have been convinced Taylor was not going as there did not appear to be much of a push for a forward.
    surprised no defenders.
  • Options
    Slightly meh, but only because our chairman had me as excited as a five year old on Christmas eve.

But my biggest concern would be that it would have been untried youngsters on loan. So yesterday we signed two experienced players one of them is in his prime. 

So definitely better than a month ago.