Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January window postmortem

Comments

• Options
    So as a result of the Transfer Window we've beaten Barnsley - Luton - Forest... In each of those games we were able to rely on Davis, Smith, McGeady, Green

Easier said than done but would we even have those three wins if we'd still be relying on Morgan, Dempsey, Vennings, Davison?

The answer is in the Swansea and West Brom (FA Cup performances) - Of course it would have been highly unlikely if we'd have had those nine extra points because for all their effort there is a lack of experience from those kids

So in that regard, January has been a good window as where would we be without those points?
    No we have picked up points because Taylor and Cullen have returned.  Smith and McGeady has added almost nothing. Davis has generally been poor.  Only Green has really added something tangible.  

If you compare our squad with incomings and outgoings now to that at the start of the season then we are worse IMO.  Injuries are not ESI fault but they needed to adequately replace those players, however my view of the squad now compared to the one at the start of the season is:

- Davis is worse than Gallagher
    - Green is worse than Leko
    - McGeady is similar to Kayal (a baller that is past it and does not want to tackle).
    - Smith is worse than Field
    - Doughty is an undoubted bonus

• Options
    So as a result of the Transfer Window we've beaten Barnsley - Luton - Forest... In each of those games we were able to rely on Davis, Smith, McGeady, Green

Easier said than done but would we even have those three wins if we'd still be relying on Morgan, Dempsey, Vennings, Davison?

The answer is in the Swansea and West Brom (FA Cup performances) - Of course it would have been highly unlikely if we'd have had those nine extra points because for all their effort there is a lack of experience from those kids

So in that regard, January has been a good window as where would we be without those points?
    No we have picked up points because Taylor and Cullen have returned.  Smith and McGeady has added almost nothing. Davis has generally been poor.  Only Green has really added something tangible.  

If you compare our squad with incomings and outgoings now to that at the start of the season then we are worse IMO.  Injuries are not ESI fault but they needed to adequately replace those players, however my view of the squad now compared to the one at the start of the season is:

- McGeady is similar to Kayal (a baller that is past it and does not want to tackle).

So you think we'd still be picking up points if Cullen had Dempsey | Morgan | Vennings around him in Midfield?

I'm not arguing whether the new signings are better than what we had at the start of the season... I'm arguing that we've now got experienced pros (apart from Smith) over inexperienced kids, who despite their best efforts didn't have the ability to see out games, as we saw against Sheffield Wednesday at the Valley

Cullen's defensive strength is being able to press and force the opposition into making mistakes, once he's won the ball back he'll often dribble forward into the opposition half and play a dangerous pass - All that he can do knowing he's got Davis / Pratley sitting in front of the Defence (a job none of our kids are ready for) so if he loses the ball he's not just exposed the back line.

The problem last night when we play three at the back is that Cullen is effectively a second holding Midfielder so when he gets forward he creates a gap - The alternative in my eyes was to setup how we finished against Luton, that of course depended on how ready Lapslie was to start as past games have proven that Davis needs to be in that Pratley role
  • Options

What about the win against Bristol City, yes we lost to a good Swansea and a good West Brom side, but we beat Bristol City.

We will never know if we would have beat Barnsley, Luton and Forest without the signing but do you really think each of those wins were down 

Smith-18 minutes in the 3 games
    McGeady-32 minutes in the 3 games 

So neither of those get any credit

Davies played 90 minutes twice but honestly could easily be replaced by Morgan 

So other than Green, I dont think you can class January as a good window at all, because we would likely have picked up those points anyway IMO and money should have been spent to ensure survival not just hope a couple of loan players who are not playing were going to be enough
  • Options

Yes, January's incomings were more the type of players I'd have expected us to bring in under Roland, no permanent signings and a few last minute loanees
  • Options
    Remember the slight farce about whether Bowyer's contract should be signed during or after the window? It was eventually decided to do it in the window, as not having Bowyer under long term contract was hampering him when trying to sign players.

Not only did we then sign no permanent players, nobody has signed a contract extension either.
  • Options
    Remember the slight farce about whether Bowyer's contract should be signed during or after the window? It was eventually decided to do it in the window, as not having Bowyer under long term contract was hampering him when trying to sign players.

Not only did we then sign no permanent players, nobody has signed a contract extension either.

With that in mind, it would be good to know what the players think of the regime.  Does anyone get any feedback of that sort?
    Even just a general sense of how they feel would be interesting to hear as I understand we wouldnt want to name names etc

• Options
    The Jamuzry window was a let down, only Green has made a difference. The others have done next to nothing to strengthen the squad. If it  because they our not match fit then a wasted opportunity to bring players in who could contribute from the offl
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    The Jamuzry window was a let down, only Green has made a difference. The others have done next to nothing to strengthen the squad. If it  because they our not match fit then a wasted opportunity to bring players in who could contribute from the offl
    I honestly think we were just naive in January. The big event, which will have a huge impact on our season, was Gallagher leaving. We assumed that Chelsea wouldn’t recall him despite them having the contractual right to do so because they said some nice things. When they did we had no plan b and now it’s cost us, and will cost us, a significant number of points over the remainder of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the basis that we needed players to come in and ideally be better than most of what we already have and go straight into the team then it has to be viewed as a crap transfer window so far - hopefully smith and mageady cone into things more but players to sit  on the bench is not what we needed - green blows hot and cold and Davis is a very limited player - all in all a bit of a crap window 
  • Options
    Think the only area we actually lost quality was Gallagher leaving- having said that, Gallagher is not an easy replacement, he’s a special player and players like him don’t come round often

Leko was frustrating and lazy, never chased balls down and never looked bothered, Green is an improvement IMO 

You can’t compare the others that left, Kayal was poor and hardly played anyway and Sam field hasn’t racked up many minutes either. All I do know is, Davis, Smith and Mcgeady have a lot more experience than Vennings, Dempsey and Davison, without them that’s who would be in the squad now with Williams, Prately and JFC out - how many games did we win with those playing?
  • Options
    CAFCDB said:
    Think the only area we actually lost quality was Gallagher leaving- having said that, Gallagher is not an easy replacement, he’s a special player and players like him don’t come round often

Leko was frustrating and lazy, never chased balls down and never looked bothered, Green is an improvement IMO 

You can’t compare the others that left, Kayal was poor and hardly played anyway and Sam field hasn’t racked up many minutes either. All I do know is, Davis, Smith and Mcgeady have a lot more experience than Vennings, Dempsey and Davison, without them that’s who would be in the squad now with Williams, Prately and JFC out - how many games did we win with those playing?
    Its also the point of having those options from the bench

Our bench hasnt looked weak once since everyone has returned from injury, thats not just because the injuries are back but because we've more depth again
  • Options
    CAFCDB said:

Our bench hasnt looked weak once since everyone has returned from injury, thats not just because the injuries are back but because we've more depth again
    No point having them on the bench if you dont then play them. Wed night we took off Oztumer & replaced him with Lapslie, when the proper call would have been McGeady. 
  • Options
    CAFCDB said:

No point having them on the bench if you dont then play them. Wed night we took off Oztumer & replaced him with Lapslie, when the proper call would have been McGeady. 
    Why? - Lapslie played in Oztumer's role, was everywhere on the pitch and knows how to pass it as we saw a couple of times and when he passed to Bonne ahead of his goal against Luton

Really is an insult to him that people think that his own quality is to run about and break up play!!
  • Options
    CAFCDB said:

Weak is relative..

Bench v Sheff Weds:
    • Purrington
    • Smith
    • McGeady
    • Green
    • Amos
    • Hemed
    • Lapslie
    Not weak compared to our injury crisis but I don't think many Championship clubs would be eyeing it enviously and I suspect on Jan 2nd when the takeover was announced most people thought it may look better than that.  

It's weaker than our bench of 31/08 after the summer window closed which was:
    • Sarr
    • Pratley
    • Oztumer
    • Aneke
    • Amos
    • Hemed
    • Lapslie
  • Options
    I was laughed out of town when I said that the owners had cocked this up 
  • Options
    Supershit phone morelike....
  • Options
    No defenders signed. 

Midfielders signed not good enough to play in this division. 

Green a poor-mans Leko. 

Worse transfer window than any of Roland's. 
    I said the same at the end of January and got murdered for it and landed a Roland sympathiser.

Its more a sign that in true Charlton fashion we get the crappiest takeover ever - somehow finding the only broke Abu Dhabi consortium in history.

Roland will be pissing himself which makes it even worse 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pathetic lack of investment from ESI is coming back to haunt us BIG time 
  • Options
    If we go down this season it’s because of the January transfer window.

It was obvious to everyone we needed reinforcements and some quality and we arguably ended up worse off at the end of the window than we did at the start of it. That’s no disrespect to the players brought in but none of them look any better than we what we already have.

I get ESL wanting to be prudent, and to cut them some slack it was their first window so they were bound to be learning on the job, but I think it could well end up costing us big time at the end of the season. 

Talk of toney etc was ludicrous but surely some more quality was available. To put it in to perspective Birmingham shipped out David Davis and brought in Scott Hogan who can’t stop scoring at the moment and there only a few league places above us. Could say the same with QPR getting rid of Smith and yet we somehow think he’s going to be able to come in and do a job for us when we were in desperate need of some quality. 

Feel for LB as I think he’s doing the best he’s got with the tools at his disposal.
  • Options
    We should've gone all out and paid Marcus Maddison silly money. How's that working out for Hull? Oh.
  • Options
    I said it at the time, bit we have no options at the back. So if they have a shocker the likelihood is they'll be back in the following week.
    That is the sign of a pencil thin squad. ESI certainly didn't address that.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2020
    Good PR does not translate into Championship points or quality in the squad. The Jan transfer window was a very big gamble, particular with the lack of depth in the squad. Losing Connor Gallager, Leko and Field were blows.  There was time to add some quality in the window. The loans brought in are looking very mediocre business. It is still unclear whether ESI have any funds to push the club forward.  
  • Options
    'Getting bodies in' is a phrase I disliked at the time and dislike even more now. 

It correctly (as it turns out) suggested we were only ever making up numbers.  No expectation, no ambition and no improvement to a team desperately seeking an extra dimension.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Was a joke window, made worse by Southall giving it the big un
    What did he promise? Remind me.

Methinks people got caught up in takeover hype and forgot the real world doesn’t work like Football Manager.

Who around us spend a fair amount and is turning their season around? Did we lose out on any of our rivals signings? Serious question.

Bad results are on Bowyer and the players. I just don’t understand how they can’t get up for games like this.

That concerns me far more that Matt Southall’s social media activity.
  • Options
    Huddersfield strengthened considerably.  Made a difference.