Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January window postmortem

Comments

• Options
    Fair enough. We were definitely over performing at the start of the season.

I’m just not sure there were even any players available who would make a big difference. Would love to have seen the target list from Gallen/Bowyer and know why we didn’t get them over the line.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Fair enough. We were definitely over performing at the start of the season.

I’m just not sure there were even any players available who would make a big difference. Would love to have seen the target list from Gallen/Bowyer and know why we didn’t get them over the line.
     I'm sure there were. And it really needed to happen considering our activity in previous windows.
     It would have involved spending some decent money. A gamble of sorts, but one I really think needed to be taken. Time will tell. 
    Irrelevant I know if they've got f**k all money. Which  I'm really starting to think is the case.
  • Options
    We should've gone all out and paid Marcus Maddison silly money. How's that working out for Hull? Oh.
    How’s our strategy working out for us? 
  • Options
    Got to wonder why we couldn’t get players of the Calibre of Smith-Rowe,  Willock etc who would have made an instant impact . Looks like we just reinforced the bench. I suggest the Southall should be asking for a refund on his super deal phone as it clearly doesn’t work. 
  • Options
    When I had a chirp at the end of the window about our lack of defensive signings I was told not to worry by some on here. "What happens if Lockyer or Sarr gets injured ?"

Don't worry they said. Oshilaja can fill in there if need be.
    Well f*** me!
    I thought they were having a laugh at the time. Now I know they were!
    Silly me.
  • Options
    We know that John Bostock was wanted. I think he would have been an improvement on Davis / Smith. 

I hope McGeady doesn't become another Joe Ledley in that he is a player who we would have welcomed at any time in the last 15 years but when we sign him he is past his best  

We also needed at least one extra centre back  
  • Options
    Strengthening was needed in January absolutely, but Roland is responsible for the majority of this squad. Not gonna be changed in one month and there is no guarantee bringing in loads have players would have improved us. This mess is Rolands, anyone solely blaming ESI please get back to football manager. 
  • Options
    Hogan  (Brum) or Carter-Vickers  (Luton) would have been far more useful than all the so so midfielders we signed instead
  • Options
    So just asking, Roland's players that we were left with are all shit and it's all thier fault.  ESI couldn't turn that round in one window?

Fair argument if we hadn't all said for 2 months that "once these players get fit" we will be alright.  The squad is weaker and more disjointed than the 1st of January.  That is not Roland's fault or a defence of ESI. 

If these are "Gallen" players I would be surprised and disappointed but the first transfer window with out little Tommy hasn't been a smash hit has it?  Probably the worst we have had since Roland's 1st.

• Options
    Getting away from transfers, does anyone know if any improvements/investments have been made towards the day to day running of the club? Admin, supplies etc.
    Also any quick wins like improving travel to games, better dietary measures etc. I know we got a new physio.

I guess this would be best answered by those that have some sort of working involvement with the club.
    Has anything happened which has made them think 'Blimey. This would never have happened under Roland'?

And I'm not talking a 'Hello' in the morning.
    Something with substance that shows any sort of inkling that this lot actually mean business?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well we stayed in Yorkshire this week which would not have happened under Roland. Worked well. 
  • Options
    Well we stayed in Yorkshire this week which would not have happened under Roland. Worked well. 
    They should have just stated in bed instead. 
  • Options
    Getting away from transfers, does anyone know if any improvements/investments have been made towards the day to day running of the club? Admin, supplies etc.
    Also any quick wins like improving travel to games, better dietary measures etc. I know we got a new physio.

I guess this would be best answered by those that have some sort of working involvement with the club.
    Has anything happened which has made them think 'Blimey. This would never have happened under Roland'?

And I'm not talking a 'Hello' in the morning.
    Something with substance that shows any sort of inkling that this lot actually mean business?
    All the new people got brand new 90,000 Range Rovers if that helps:)
  • Options
    They brought in the physio Danny Murphy who Lapslie credited as solving his hamstring issue
  • Options
    CAFCDB said:
    They brought in the physio Danny Murphy who Lapslie credited as solving his hamstring issue
    To be fair, that is a very positive development.

Wish I could go and see him. No-one has solved my hamstring problem(s) and believe me, many have tried over the last 16 years!! 
  • Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/if-were-not-completely-at-it-then-we-get-found-out-charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-with-honest-breakdown-after-huddersfield-defeat/

Even Bowyer seems to be suggesting we didn't do enough compared to the likes of Huddersfield who strengthened.
  • Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/if-were-not-completely-at-it-then-we-get-found-out-charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-with-honest-breakdown-after-huddersfield-defeat/

Even Bowyer seems to be suggesting we didn't do enough compared to the likes of Huddersfield who strengthened.

He definitely seems to be suggesting that..."ALL the teams around us strengthened"...ESI's PR has received a lot of praise so far, but they have thrown up more questions than answers.
  • Options

That makes for fairly bleak reading, doesn’t fill me with confidence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But there were tonnes of people on here confident in ESIs approach, saying they were doing the right thing, and that we didnt need much when the injured players came back.

I think we all thought the injured players returning would do something at least - but the fact is that it was obvious as soon as the window closed ESI had not done what they needed to. Not helped by Southall waving his Super Duper Deal Phone all over Twitter.
  • Options
    Sounds like LB is getting his excuses in early, looking at Sheffield Wednesday's appalling home record since December I think we had every right to expect we might get something from the game. 
  • Options
    Brum were considered relegation rivals to us a few weeks ago. 6 goals in 7 matches for Hogan on loan from Villa, and they're now 8 points ahead of us...
  • Options
    Surely LB must realise by now playing for draws, sitting back etc hasn't worked for months, why should it now ? Why oh why didn't he look at the Forest game & decide that if we were going to go down ( I think we will unfortunately) we would go down playing attacking football & actually be positive on the pitch ?
  • Options
    The best bit of business ESI did during to window , was managing to hang on to Taylor , everything else has been just papering over the cracks.
  • Options
    I don't use twitter so only read what some kind people post on here. I just wondered whether anyone has asked MS whether he is still very happy with the business completed in the transfer window & what if anything he replied ?
  • Options
    I don't use twitter so only read what some kind people post on here. I just wondered whether anyone has asked MS whether he is still very happy with the business completed in the transfer window & what if anything he replied ?
    Doubt he would reply, but his twitter groupies would...

"January is a notoriously hard window to get deals done in"  
    "Wait till the summer"
    "Believe", "Trust", "Have Faith"
  • Options
    Brum were considered relegation rivals to us a few weeks ago. 6 goals in 7 matches for Hogan on loan from Villa, and they're now 8 points ahead of us...
    So you’re saying we just need to get Hogan in on loan from Villa and we’ll be sorted?
  • Options
    The best bit of business ESI did during to window , was managing to hang on to Taylor , everything else has been just papering over the cracks.
    I would agree if Taylor had signed a new deal, but he didn’t. ESI didn’t really do anything with Taylor, they just didn’t do something monumentally stupid, but I guess after Roland that’s pretty much enough to get you praise! 
  • Options
    joeaddick said:
    Doubt he would reply, but his twitter groupies would...

"January is a notoriously hard window to get deals done in"  
    "Wait till the summer"
    "Believe", "Trust", "Have Faith"
    Yes I'm sure but you forget the most important one, when all of our first choices return we'll be fine don't worry !!! Bedwetters of the world unite :-)