Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January window postmortem

Comments

• Options
    Who were the three permanent signings Gallen mentioned at the press conference?

I guess one was Madison, bit who were the other two? And what happened?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Bad in that we needed players in at the beginning of the window. There were important points to play for in January and we only got two in the end. Bad to Ok at the end. I think Green, Davis and McGeady were decent signings and would definitely have been the high end of OK had it not been for us losing Gallagher. Losing him puts it a bit below OK.

It would have helped me had Southall not raised my expectations and that made it feel even worse in all honesty. I have the West Brom programme in front of me and you only have to read what was said in that to be disapointed.

We have more chance of staying up than going down though. It is just we could have made the odds even better. No point moaning now. We get behind the team and review based on what happens next.
  • Options
    Who were the three permanent signings Gallen mentioned at the press conference?

I guess one was Madison, bit who were the other two? And what happened?
    A few of our alleged targets were playing on Saturday as Bristol Rovers (Clarke, Clarke-Harris) beat Blackpool (Gnanduillet)
  • Options
    Not massively impressed by our signings and our midfield still looks lightweight and lacking in creativity. Gallagher was a big loss.
  • Options
    Very odd signings.

Green I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to for now because he’s had a couple of good performances. Bowyer doesn’t think Smith or Mcgeady are good enough to play (judging by the fact he brought neither of them on today). And Davis is wank.

Never replaced Gallagher and it’s going to cost us
  • Options
    Having played 4 games since the window closed, what slightly concerns me about our business is that of the 4 players signed, while at least 2 of them will be important squad members (Green and Davis) and the other 2 may come good, none of them are obviously in our best 11

Gallagher, who we lost, definitely was in our best 11, so it's a concern that post the first ESI window we have actually ended up with a weaker first 11.
    Neither McGeady nor Smith have featured in the last 2 games

When we have Williams out injured and Oztumer comes off early, for neither McGeady and Smith to feature tonight is concerning, as it begs the question when they will be of use...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    This interview just seems ridiculous now, just watched it again, all the rubbish about him being happy with the window and getting loan players in to help keep us up then build for the future, how the hell are Smith, Davis and Mceady going to keep us up lol

• Options
    If we go down, this is on the new owners’ heads; we are painfully weak in midfield and the signings of Smith and McGeady are looking ludicrous
  • Options
    This interview just seems ridiculous now, just watched it again, all the rubbish about him being happy with the window and getting loan players in to help keep us up then build for the future, how the hell are Smith, Davis and Mceady going to keep us up lol

Just needs a 'huh' after every other sentence.
  • Options
    we’re tenth in the form table since the window, that’s a pretty decent return so far, if the form hadn’t picked up, and we had been like Hull, Reading and Boro, then I’d be putting on the act and panicking. Last night was shit, but Saturday was decent. So bit of context helps 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    we’re tenth in the form table since the window, that’s a pretty decent return so far, if the form hadn’t picked up, and we had been like Hull, Reading and Boro, then I’d be putting on the act and panicking. Last night was shit, but Saturday was decent. So bit of context helps 
    We have had a few wins but I wouldn't say we were playing well. Hopefully there are three worse teams.
  • Options
    If the window was as special as the new owner likes to tell us and we got the right bodies through the door,  then why do we continue to play a very green teenager,who's clearly tired, out of position?
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been asked/answered before, neither am I suggesting anything, but does anyone know who the agents are of our window additions? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    At least we haven't been saddled with Maddison and all that comes with him - he was an 89th minute substitute in Hull's game at Preston but started last night and was brought off at half time. This is what one Hull supporter said about him on their forum about his performance:

Maddison was a pathetic excuse of a footballer. Bottled every single challenge and when he had a chance to shoot decided to go over looking for a penalty. His non performance tonight was truly awful and smacks of a loan player that doesnt give a fhck and doesnt want to be here.

Hull's last 10 matches read - Won 0 Drawn 2 Lost 8. We at least have some fight about us whereas it looks as if they have lost the will to battle. 
  • Options
    So as a result of the Transfer Window we've beaten Barnsley - Luton - Forest... In each of those games we were able to rely on Davis, Smith, McGeady, Green

Easier said than done but would we even have those three wins if we'd still be relying on Morgan, Dempsey, Vennings, Davison?

The answer is in the Swansea and West Brom (FA Cup performances) - Of course it would have been highly unlikely if we'd have had those nine extra points because for all their effort there is a lack of experience from those kids

So in that regard, January has been a good window as where would we be without those points?
  • Options
    So as a result of the Transfer Window we've beaten Barnsley - Luton - Forest... In each of those games we were able to rely on Davis, Smith, McGeady, Green

Easier said than done but would we even have those three wins if we'd still be relying on Morgan, Dempsey, Vennings, Davison?

The answer is in the Swansea and West Brom (FA Cup performances) - Of course it would have been highly unlikely if we'd have had those nine extra points because for all their effort there is a lack of experience from those kids

So in that regard, January has been a good window as where would we be without those points?
    That is so selective. I would counter that we could have played Gnanduillet, Maddison, Wilkes & Toney if we had signed those 4 instead. 
  • Options
    So much flap. We had a weird window, there's no question. We obviously came out of it with the intention that we would plug the gaps in the squad with new loan players until the full squad was back, with the idea being that we were 2nd for a while and generally around play-off contention when everyone was fit and firing. We won't know if that's worked or not until the end of the season, but you can see it as a gamble. Field still isn't back, but Davis was brought in to cover for that gap anyway. I know after last night most people have decided he's worthless, but that position has been covered. We would be a lot worse off if we hadn't brought Davis in and were without Pratley and cover for him. We brought in Green to replace Leko and McGeady ostensibly to cover for the Williams/Oztumer fitness debacle that is still ongoing. The Smith signing I think was a bit of a Hail Mary; we didn't expect to lose Gallagher and frankly he isn't replaceable. Sounds like we missed out on a few targets, possibly mostly due to some laziness on the part of Toulouse and got in someone with similar, if lesser, attributes. It was an odd choice at the time as I think we all felt like defensive improvement should have been a priority, but then I think the team in general isn't set up well to defend at all, so I'm not sure bringing in a load of new defenders would have changed things massively.

Our form is still good. Last night's performance against a rubbish side was very dispiriting but if we beat Hudds we will have continued our form of winning every other game, and 3 points out of 6 every time will probably keep us in the division unless the teams below us continue to Megazord themselves up every week. Even if they do, beating the teams we have coming up will drag them down into the soup with us anyway, so things could look different yet again by the end of the weekend. It can still be ok.
  • Options
    At least we haven't been saddled with Maddison and all that comes with him - he was an 89th minute substitute in Hull's game at Preston but started last night and was brought off at half time. This is what one Hull supporter said about him on their forum about his performance:

Maddison was a pathetic excuse of a footballer. Bottled every single challenge and when he had a chance to shoot decided to go over looking for a penalty. His non performance tonight was truly awful and smacks of a loan player that doesnt give a fhck and doesnt want to be here.

Hull's last 10 matches read - Won 0 Drawn 2 Lost 8. We at least have some fight about us whereas it looks as if they have lost the will to battle. 
    No, but we've been saddled with Smith, who looks far worse than Dempsey, Morgan, Vennings et al.

Were we ever actually in for Maddison?  Where's the evidence that we had any money?
  • Options
    After Saturday I was left wondering why we didn't we go for Carter-Vickers, I thought he looked good for Luton and he's clearly helped tighten up their backline. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020

That is so selective. I would counter that we could have played Gnanduillet, Maddison, Wilkes & Toney if we had signed those 4 instead. 
    I have no idea what point your trying to prove there?

People are saying that ESI's business wasnt good enough and have been others question whether the was any point in getting the takeover done for the transfer window

Yet we've picked up three wins with the players we've signed, had we brought in no one then Id question if we could have got three wins from those three games because for all the effort from the kids (shown the last few months), they didnt quite have enough to get us the wins in that period

The perfect example of that is Doughty, being raved about by everyone yet after one bad game last night suddenly isnt good enough or ready for the first team

Ergo... ESI have done a good job so far!!

As for the players you mention

Gnaduillet: Blackpool wanted stupid money
    Maddison: Is a prick and a flop at Hull
    Wilkes: Okay now your naming players we werent linked with
    Toney: Yeah okay, stay in dreamland!!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

No, but we've been saddled with Smith, who looks far worse than Dempsey, Morgan, Vennings et al.

Were we ever actually in for Maddison?  Where's the evidence that we had any money?
    So the proof we were in for Maddison surely came from the South London and Peterborough press along with the Peterborough owner?
  • Options

I would counter we could have signed messi ronaldo pogba and kante, but we didnt so it's pointless suggesting it 🤷‍♂️