Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough Chairman Interview - Marcus Maddison

Comments

• Options
    Really interesting that

Fascinating about Maddison, you wonder how motivated he'll be during his spell with Hull. He'll want to shine personally, stick a few "screamers into the top corner" for the youtube video his agents will hawk around, but will he bust his gut for the team?
  • Options
    Could be interesting when we play Hull away.
  • Options
    Doesn’t sound like anyone has paid Maddison what he thinks he’s worth
  • Options
    Really great insight of a footi club.Admire his honesty and glad we dodged a bullet there.MS comes out of it well to.
  • Options
    Looks like we’ve swerved the thing that comes out the end of a gun on this one. 
    Very good, did make me chuckle 

you’ve definitely ensured you’ll sidestep any ammunition coming your way from @swords_alive by not referring to dodging a bullet here 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Who was it that said transfer fees go down towards the end of the window? Looks like we have an example right in front of us with PBoro and MM.

On the other hand, if we assume that DMac’s version of events are true, it does seem as though MS may have been a bit eager/naive in how he played the MM saga.

Eager to get a “name” signing in the building, he agreed to pay an inflated price a couple of weeks before the window closed.

That later worked to our disadvantage when we couldn’t agree terms with the player so coming back to PBoro with a lower offer to counterbalance the overall cost was never going to be taken kindly.

Others have already said it may well be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t get him (I agree with them) so hopefully MS can learn from the experience.
  • Options
    W O W

Definitely dodged a bullet with MM

What a straight up chairman DM is, posh fans should feel lucky to have him IMO
  • Options
    PWR. Dodged a bullet there. Bloke sounds like a right bellend. Shows we were willing to spend money on a player we really wanted but 1.5m plus sounds a bad deal from our point of view imo. Glad he said no. Don't want to sign anyone who has to be persuaded to talk to us. MacAnthony a breath of fresh air though. Fair play to him.

Can we assume MS was happy for him to go into such detail?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who was it that said transfer fees go down towards the end of the window? Looks like we have an example right in front of us with PBoro and MM.

On the other hand, if we assume that DMac’s version of events are true, it does seem as though MS may have been a bit eager/naive in how he played the MM saga.

Eager to get a “name” signing in the building, he agreed to pay an inflated price a couple of weeks before the window closed.

That later worked to our disadvantage when we couldn’t agree terms with the player so coming back to PBoro with a lower offer to counterbalance the overall cost was never going to be taken kindly.

Others have already said it may well be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t get him (I agree with them) so hopefully MS can learn from the experience.
    Could be that Bowyer, Gallen and MS recognise Peterborough do things well, their scouting system is excellent and they recognise that the players they like we often like. So he was trying to gain some trust for the future. Think we may well go shopping there again.
  • Options
    Good video and DM seems like a good bloke. MM however sounds like a very frustrating character. How much did he want, I wonder. 
  • Options
    Just need to compare 2 players in 2 January transfer windows. Williams & Maddison. William's took a pay CUT to join us.....Maddison wanted MORE than any club would offer him.

Bellend.
    For once you couldnt have said it any better!!
  • Options
    I’ve liked the Peterborough chairman for some time. He is honest, up front and thinks long term. Hope their fans are smart enough to give him a chance to get them promoted. One of the good guys.
  • Options
    Great video. This guy is a smart cookie and very honest. Posh fans are lucky to have him. Glad we did not sign the twat !
  • Options
    Please no more use of 'dodged a bullet'. It's like your copying each other's posts
    I said it first . Na na na na na 

Six minutes late my friend, six whole minutes. 
  • Options
    very interesting video. Not just about Maddison but about the way transfer windows and FPP work . 
    Maddison definitely not one for us. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Seems we all agree that the ballistic projectile has been well and truly sidestepped. 
    Haha 👍🏼 Winner.
  • Options
    redman said:
    very interesting video. Not just about Maddison but about the way transfer windows and FPP work . 
    Maddison definitely not one for us. 

Seems like a repeat of what we had with Ben Reeves. Glad we did not make the same mistake twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Found that fascinating to be honest. Makes you realise how bizarre, fragile and time consuming doing transfers can be. Very enlightening.
    Im glad we didn’t get Maddison; not sure we need an ego competition for Lyle.
    Maybe shows that come summer the funds will be available for players but we won’t go silly with wages which is very sensible.
  • Options
    Shame it's not the same FFP in the champ.  I'm not too surprised MM wanted wages towards Premiership.  Hope he does well at Hull, as their setup suits him, but I'm glad we don't have him.  With his temprement Bowyer would have eventually dropped him then we'd be stuck with a deadweight.  Always thought his pace was the question mark, now it seems he just can't help himself forwards.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    For that money there are players out there who actually want to put on the cafc shirt and give 100% watch this space this summer got a good feeling will we come good with signings .
    good that it showed ms and the team was trying to get perm deals done but wasnt going to mugged off over wages
    God this Madison chap has one high opinion of himself or that his agent has!
  • Options
    Great video. The days when footballers earned about four times as much as, say, coal miners - and were expected to be most grateful to the club owners for employing them - is well and truly gone. Now, an arrogant twat like Maddison could practically bankrupt a club on his own, by his wage demands. 
    Should there be wage ceilings for clubs out of the premiership?
    I thought the info about EFL dictating FFP rules and instructing clubs not to go over the wire most interesting.
  • Options
    Be interesting if he stays at Hull, they cant pay the wages he wants either!
  • Options
    I think we evaded some ammunition there.
  • Options
    £1.5m guaranteed payable in stage plus £0.5m after 50 games, another £0.5m if we get promoted to EPL plus a sell on percentage.

So we were willing to spend £1.5m albeit not all of it now.

So do we have money?
    He tells you the breakdown in the video, 500k upfront, 500k after 50 appearances and 500k if we get promoted. 
  • Options

Not sure that's true. 500k upfront and the total isn't an inflated price for a player with his record. Yes he only had 6 months less but it was still a fair bit less than Grant. With other clubs interested there was also no guarantee he would have been available a week or two later.