Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough Chairman Interview - Marcus Maddison

Comments

• So glad we didnt sign him. What a complete cockwomble. Not a team player and as far from what Bow wants in his squad as you can get.
  • £1.5m guaranteed payable in stage plus £0.5m after 50 games, another £0.5m if we get promoted to EPL plus a sell on percentage.

So we were willing to spend £1.5m albeit not all of it now.

So do we have money?
    He tells you the breakdown in the video, 500k upfront, 500k after 50 appearances and 500k if we get promoted. 
    No, he says £1.5m guaranteed but in stages then the appearance and promotion clauses on top of the £1.5m
    Ah really? Sorry I stand corrected then. 
  • I'm sure Maddison will be welcomed back with open arms next time he rocks up at Peterborough in the knowledge that he has, potentially, cost them £2.5m. He was playing for Gateshead when Peterborough decided to take a punt on him and they gave him a chance of playing League football.

Maddison is probably now holding out for a bid from Liverpool for his services. He might have a little wait for that and start to put in the sort of work the likes of Salah, Mane and Firminho do before there is any chance of that bid arriving. Not that it ever will of course.
  • edited February 2020
    Ok, so when I said buy the winger/ midfielder Maddison when he was at Gateshead in 2014, won't happen now.

That might be the first genuine insight into our financial policy going forward. 

I believe we dodged a poison arrow.
  • If Gallen and Bowyer make such a big deal about signing players with the right character for Charlton, I'm a bit surprised they went for Maddison.  It sounded like it was a 'who can we get' signing rather than a 'this is the player we need' signing.  

Thankfully it fell through.  Maddison sounds like a knob.  Posh were sick of his Charlie Big Potatoes nonsense and couldn't get shot of him quick enough.

I suppose it just goes to show how desperate things can get in the January window.  (Excellent video from the Peterborough chairman, a bit of an eye-opener.)
  • Great communication by the Posh Chairman, refreshing to hear it "as its is" , obviously with his slant on it !!
  • edited February 2020
    Uboat said:
    Good video and DM seems like a good bloke. MM however sounds like a very frustrating character. How much did he want, I wonder. 
    By the sound of it, more than he deserved. 

According to DM we offered a good salary, we could have done more but it was fair.

I hope Maddison gets shown up at Hull. 
  • £1.5m guaranteed payable in stage plus £0.5m after 50 games, another £0.5m if we get promoted to EPL plus a sell on percentage.

So do we have money?
    He tells you the breakdown in the video, 500k upfront, 500k after 50 appearances and 500k if we get promoted. 
    No, he says £1.5m guaranteed but in stages then the appearance and promotion clauses on top of the £1.5m
    Definitely this, £1.5m up front, £500k after 50 appearances & £500k if we were to get promoted.

So maximum we would have paid is £2.5m to Peterborough,  there may have been additional agent and player sign on fees had a deal been agreed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems Matt went to talk about Toney. Wonder how they got onto Maddison? 

• Saw the Youtube vid of Maddison and he has some skill and an eye for goal.

The bit that put me off was when he stuck his face into another guy's and then went down like a sack of shit holding his face. The other guy hadn't done anything. Thought what a scumbag and cheat, don't want him or his ilk at our club.
  • Looks like we swerved a round with Maddison.
    Hopefully Pratley will show him the errors of his ways when we play 'Ull.
  • Really interesting that

Fascinating about Maddison, you wonder how motivated he'll be during his spell with Hull. He'll want to shine personally, stick a few "screamers into the top corner" for the youtube video his agents will hawk around, but will he bust his gut for the team?
    He has to impress really. Won't exactly be a queue of clubs lining up to take him and pay him the high salary that MacAnthony says he's after, if he doesn't do well in the next few months.

However my understanding from the video is that if he does do well then Hull already have an agreement in place to make the deal permanent? 
  • An interesting video.  Assuming the Posh Chairman's account is accurate, the most pertinent thing for me is that it sound as though the idea to go for Maddison did not originate from Gallen/Bowyer at all - rather from Southall, who was "offered" Maddison as a budget alternative to our target, Toney.

This possibly explains why we even considered a player whose personality seems so contrary to the ethos Bowyer has been building in our squad, but then did not strongly pursue the matter.  The last thing we need is a disruptive influence in the dressing room, as we knuckle down to retaining our Championship place.

How can I put it?  We shunned a poisoned chalice, avoided an own goal, side-stepped a self-inflicted injury...  Difficult to find the best phrase without becoming repetitive!  ;)
  • If we were interested in Toney, then presumably either

a) He was a replacement for Lyle, so the club was half expecting him to leave OR
    b) He was an additional striker, in which case Bowyer wanted another option up front in the window, and presumably will be disappointed that he didn't get one.
  • Valley11 said:
    Seems Matt went to talk about Toney. Wonder how they got onto Maddison? 

Sounds to me as though DMac wanted rid of Maddison as needed him gone to fund Szmodics (hence the bit of desperation of Thursday)

Wonder if DMac basically said "No your not having Toney, but we are looking to get something for Maddison - You interested in him instead?
  • Early on in the video he says finances for clubs in leagues 1 and 2 works differently in that they can only spend 60% of what they bring in and the EFL wouldn't have approved them buying a player as it would've taken them over their limit.

How on earth do Salford get away with it then? Surely there's no way they only spend 60% of their turnover on players and wages.
    think it only applies to wages, not player purchases

So do we have money?
    That's how I heard it, but might be wrong seeing as LB said that wd never bid £1m for any player.
  • edited February 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    £1.5m guaranteed payable in stage plus £0.5m after 50 games, another £0.5m if we get promoted to EPL plus a sell on percentage.

So do we have money?
    Definitely this, £1.5m up front, £500k after 50 appearances & £500k if we were to get promoted.

So maximum we would have paid is £2.5m to Peterborough,  there may have been additional agent and player sign on fees had a deal been agreed. 
    .........and a sell on fee but he didn't say the %

Not really a surprise that MacAnthony was trying to convince Maddison to sign for us! That's a brilliant deal for a league one club about to lose the guy on a free in 5 months time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:
    If Gallen and Bowyer make such a big deal about signing players with the right character for Charlton, I'm a bit surprised they went for Maddison.  It sounded like it was a 'who can we get' signing rather than a 'this is the player we need' signing.  

Thankfully it fell through.  Maddison sounds like a knob.  Posh were sick of his Charlie Big Potatoes nonsense and couldn't get shot of him quick enough.

I suppose it just goes to show how desperate things can get in the January window.  (Excellent video from the Peterborough chairman, a bit of an eye-opener.)
    People from other clubs (and even many of our own fans) might say the same about Lyle Taylor, but that doesn’t mean he is unmanageable. 

Maddison has produced goals and assists for Posh for a long time now, so whilst he may have an attitude - ultimately he does deliver on the pitch on a consistent basis. 

• cafctom said:
    Missed It said:
    If Gallen and Bowyer make such a big deal about signing players with the right character for Charlton, I'm a bit surprised they went for Maddison.  It sounded like it was a 'who can we get' signing rather than a 'this is the player we need' signing.  

People from other clubs (and even many of our own fans) might say the same about Lyle Taylor, but that doesn’t mean he is unmanageable. 

Maddison has produced goals and assists for Posh for a long time now, so whilst he may have an attitude - ultimately he does deliver on the pitch on a consistent basis. 
    Bit harsh on Lyle that comment .......... apart from not signing a new contract cant see what he has done wrong.

• Really interesting that

Fascinating about Maddison, you wonder how motivated he'll be during his spell with Hull. He'll want to shine personally, stick a few "screamers into the top corner" for the youtube video his agents will hawk around, but will he bust his gut for the team?
    He has to impress really. Won't exactly be a queue of clubs lining up to take him and pay him the high salary that MacAnthony says he's after, if he doesn't do well in the next few months.

However my understanding from the video is that if he does do well then Hull already have an agreement in place to make the deal permanent? 

Only thing in place is that if Hull sign him they owe another 6 figure fee to Pboro, Hull will be in a bidding war with all other potential suitors and have to offer him a contract in the summer like everyone else.

• cafctom said:
    Missed It said:

Bit harsh on Lyle that comment .......... apart from not signing a new contract cant see what he has done wrong.

I agree but plenty on here and on twitter were slated him only a few weeks ago
  • Didn't want to come to London because of the traffic, wait till he's stuck in traffic in Hull, depending on the time of day, it's worse than down here.
  • Really interesting interview that. He's breath of fresh air. 
  • I take it the ' Barry'  he mentions a lot is Barry Fry?

Never knew the old boy was still about

• cafctom said:
    Missed It said:

Even Taylor has said he'd given himself the tag by being out spoken as a youngster which didnt help his career - Now he's a seasoned player he feels he's allowed to speak out more
  • He's still got great contacts in the non-league.  Peterborough are always hoovering up attack minded players from the 5th tier and below.

Maddison has had dips in form before when no one has come in close season.  It's illuminating that no one's bid before, let alone reached his release clause.  You have to take McAnthony's comments with some element of personal bias.  He's happy to sign non-league players on 3 year contracts, and then make life very difficult for them when they don't work out.

• cafctom said:
    Missed It said:

At the end of the day he has to do whats best for him and his family, not whats best for the club. Just the same as everyone on here. If he wants to play prem football ESI's 5 Year plan may not come quick enough for him bearing in mind his age.Glad to see he got a great reception on saturday, and hopefully  that continues whatever descsion he makes come the end of the season.