Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough Chairman Interview - Marcus Maddison

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    May I say that I think we dodged a bullet in not signing Maddison! 
    I'm glad we didn't sign him, but it transpires that we were under a transfer embargo when we had our offer accepted, so not like we were actually in for him anyway.
    If there ever was an offer that is and it wasn't some great big charade cooked up by Southall and the Peterborough Chairman - the former to convince us that we were in for this "marquee" signing and the latter because their Manager didn't want him disrupting the squad any more and he needed to create interest from other clubs if he was going to get anything for him. 

Hull were the unlucky ones in this affair.
    100% correct. In retrospect, the whole thing looks like it was staged. Posh chairman and Southall are clearly mates, pictures of them having a drink together in Southall's Twitter during the transfer window.

Posh use us to drum up some interest in Maddison, we/Southall use Posh to make us sound ambitious. Posh chairman also said in January that Southall had been enquiring about Ivan Toney and he'd told him where to go or, to put it another way, he told any potential suitors that they'd have to pay big and gave Southall some positive PR for implying that we might be interested in signing Toney, even though we weren't allowed to.

Possibly it was staged, also possible that the Posh chairman was conned by a conman.  I don't think we should underestimate Southall's abilities in that area. 
    May have conned him regarding the embargo. I do now genuinely believe Southall thought Nimer would add some funds though. 
  • Options
    That is obviously cash related, they know that post-Coronavirus they won't have the cash for him - or many others for that matter.
    May be the reason but I think that his attitude has a lot to do with the decision.
  • Options
    Bullet? We had a cap gun.
  • Options
    Just when it feels like there's no good news anymore, I read this. Hallelujah!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    I'm glad we didn't sign him, but it transpires that we were under a transfer embargo when we had our offer accepted, so not like we were actually in for him anyway.
    If there ever was an offer that is and it wasn't some great big charade cooked up by Southall and the Peterborough Chairman - the former to convince us that we were in for this "marquee" signing and the latter because their Manager didn't want him disrupting the squad any more and he needed to create interest from other clubs if he was going to get anything for him. 

100% correct. In retrospect, the whole thing looks like it was staged. Posh chairman and Southall are clearly mates, pictures of them having a drink together in Southall's Twitter during the transfer window.

Posh use us to drum up some interest in Maddison, we/Southall use Posh to make us sound ambitious. Posh chairman also said in January that Southall had been enquiring about Ivan Toney and he'd told him where to go or, to put it another way, he told any potential suitors that they'd have to pay big and gave Southall some positive PR for implying that we might be interested in signing Toney, even though we weren't allowed to.

Possibly it was staged, also possible that the Posh chairman was conned by a conman.  I don't think we should underestimate Southall's abilities in that area. 
    May have conned him regarding the embargo. I do now genuinely believe Southall thought Nimer would add some funds though. 
    Yeah, I believe Mouthall may have been obliged to reduce his original order of 8 Range Rovers to only four when Nimer failed to cough up the cash.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Imagine how much lower in the table we’d be if we’d signed Maddison 
    In the 7 games he actually played for Hull they picked up 2 points and he scored 1 goal with no assists. In the same period we picked up 9 points.

We didn't have his inflated wages plus we saved a substantial transfer payment. As MacAnthony explained regarding the deal with Hul “It was one way of us getting some money. It wasn’t the £1.5m, going up to £2m, we’d agreed with Charlton but I managed to save something."

But then we couldn't buy anyone because of the embargo. Which brings me back to the conspiracy theory thought up between Southall and his mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Got a lot of time for the Peterborough chairman, very impressed with his comments in the interview about Maddison.
    I think he was genuinely impressed with Southhall who probably spun him a story of Charlton funded to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds and about to become the Man. City of the South.
    Has since realised it was all nonsense. 

• Options
    At least he didn't bill us for consultancy fees or maybe he did?
  • Options
    Got a lot of time for the Peterborough chairman, very impressed with his comments in the interview about Maddison.
    I think he was genuinely impressed with Southhall who probably spun him a story of Charlton funded to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds and about to become the Man. City of the South.

Agreed. Think he conned MacAnthony just as he conned everyone else.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

And yet, for someone not known for holding back, I've seen nothing from MacAnthony to the effect that he felt conned by CAFC and Southall specifically given that we were playing poker holding absolutely nothing in our hand.

• Options
    how would we have signed this guy with a transfer ban and Matt Super Dooper phone Southall bleeding us dry ? was he trying to off load 6 Super Dooper Range Rovers in part exchange?

Maybe he was offering a"consultancy"  in exchange.

Mind you paying invoices and bills disnt seem to be part of any plan hr had or has had.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Yeah, I believe Mouthall may have been obliged to reduce his original order of 8 Range Rovers to only four when Nimer failed to cough up the cash.
    Ah I'm not defending Southall. He deserved to be paid a salary for being a Chairman and that's it. Even if Nimer had produced funds, of course Southall had no right to personally dip in them. 
  • Options
    how would we have signed this guy with a transfer ban and Matt Super Dooper phone Southall bleeding us dry ? was he trying to off load 6 Super Dooper Range Rovers in part exchange?

Maybe he was offering a"consultancy"  in exchange.
     Probably some of those favours Bow spoke of.
  • Options
    Southhall told L.B. although a transfer embargo had been put on Charlton by the E.F.L.  it would be cleared the next day.
    If you give Southhall the benefit of doubt, he may have believed it.
    If you believe he was just a crook, then it was all bullshit. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

And yet, for someone not known for holding back, I've seen nothing from MacAnthony to the effect that he felt conned by CAFC and Southall specifically given that we were playing poker holding absolutely nothing in our hand.

I’m pretty sure I saw on here a Twitter conversation between a Charlton fan and Peterborough Chairman where he said he said he didn’t know him that well or only had that drink with him or some sort of excuse 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really like Darragh, but he's coming across as a complete cock on twitter at the minute, and that's coming from someone who wants football back asap
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    I really like Darragh, but he's coming across as a complete cock on twitter at the minute, and that's coming from someone who wants football back asap
    Peterborough as a club really irritate me

Had one of their fans wound me up on twitter after the game at the Valley last season who claimed we didnt deserve a result after having just one shot that game, despite their penalty being a joke

Really did please me how their season nose dived and we ended up as the promoted team
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Heard he also thought that clubs should get 5 years TV money up front now to get through the crisis.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Heard he also thought that clubs should get 5 years TV money up front now to get through the crisis.
    Only 5 ? 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Had one of their fans wound me up on twitter after the game at the Valley last season who claimed we didnt deserve a result after having just one shot that game, despite their penalty being a joke

Really did please me how their season nose dived and we ended up as the promoted team
    Considering the size of Peterborough and Cambridge their football team attendances must be the most pathetic in the whole of the country .

Darragh is flogging a dead horse with that club . 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Considering the size of Peterborough and Cambridge their football team attendances must be the most pathetic in the whole of the country .

Darragh is flogging a dead horse with that club . 

He seems to have ambition though, having said that he's never been my cup of tea after appearing on the Sky transfer news programme.
  • Options
    Their model has always made me smile - i.e. they put such focus on signing decent attacking players with a decent sell on yet ignore their defence

This is the second season on the trot where they've got the worst goals conceded (along with Wycombe this year) in the top seven

Maybe if they focused on all areas a bit more they'd actually stand a proper chance of returning to the Championship
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Their model has always made me smile - i.e. they put such focus on signing decent attacking players with a decent sell on yet ignore their defence

This is the second season on the trot where they've got the worst goals conceded (along with Wycombe this year) in the top seven

Maybe if they focused on all areas a bit more they'd actually stand a proper chance of returning to the Championship
    You'd have thought they'd get good crowds if they were playing attacking football with lots of goals at either end, rather than Pulis style functional football
  • Options

You'd have thought they'd get good crowds if they were playing attacking football with lots of goals at either end, rather than Pulis style functional football
    They have never attracted much more than crowds of 7k.