Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mini Beer stalls inside the ground - suggestion

Comments

• Options
    I understand the club are looking at bringing the catering back in house as part of the objective of increasing commercial income.

There are inherent problems with football stadiums but some other clubs do seem to do it better.
    Was just thinking the same.
  • Options
    They defo need to bring back the hot cider  ;)
  • Options
    Sell 500ml bottles, problem solved on the beer front.
  • Options
    Worthington E
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Solidgone said:
    Worthington E
    Just wondering whether light and bitter has been fazed out?
  • Options
    not enough fridge space, they'd be selling warm beer before kick off
  • Options
    generally the food and beer situation at Charlton has been terrible for years.

Reading have a decent “food and beer village” not big but nice mix of food.

Brighton do it right for away supporters having a local, to the away team, beer and videos of the away team on tvs.

We could learn a lot from other clubs.
  • Options
    The bottoms up system works well, Tottenham have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiu_IX14wLI
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the club are thinking of going down the route of cheap season tickets, cheap tickets for certain games,then they need to get as much money as possible from other lines,drink and food outlets in the concourse should be a priority for them.

• Options
    generally the food and beer situation at Charlton has been terrible for years.

Reading have a decent “food and beer village” not big but nice mix of food.

Brighton do it right for away supporters having a local, to the away team, beer and videos of the away team on tvs.

We could learn a lot from other clubs.
    Had a burger from the ground Saturday and it tasted rank to say the least! I wish I waited in the queue at the burger bar outside the ground.
  • Options
    The bottoms up system works well, Tottenham have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiu_IX14wLI

Those little extras are great. However they are expensive and Tottenham are a much bigger club than us with larger crowds and a purpose built stadium, making it easier to implement gadgets such as that. Also what's to suggest that would improve the speed of service? Would we train our staff to use them effectively?
  • Options
    I must say the food, drink and service in the Keith Peacock suite was terrific as usual. B)
  • Options
    Family next to us got back to seats on 62 mins having queued over 25 mins to get something to eat. 

Family next to us got back to seats on 62 mins having queued over 25 mins to get something to eat. 

personally I go to a football match to watch football, not to wait ages to buy overpriced grub thereby missing a large part of the match .. I suggest 'the family' has got their priorities very wrong
    I agree. Why not eat on the way to the ground or bring sandwiches. Agree with @Stig’s post too. Surely you go to football to watch the football.
  • Options

personally I go to a football match to watch football, not to wait ages to buy overpriced grub thereby missing a large part of the match .. I suggest 'the family' has got their priorities very wrong
    What a hero Lincs.

I’m sure you don’t go to a football match with the intention of going a loo either so lets close the toilets as well. 
    They are open before and after the game. I understand kids might not be able to last but most men and woman should be able to go an hour and a half without a pee or three.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

I agree. Why not eat on the way to the ground or bring sandwiches. Agree with @Stig’s post too. Surely you go to football to watch the football.
    I leave the house at 10.30, get to the ground at 12.30 and then home at 7... people will soon piss and moan with me dragging my hamper into the ground. 

Ban food and beer and youl find your season ticket to be £500 as the money has to come from somewhere. 
  • Options
    Airman will probably confirm that a £20 ticket nets down to about £12 or something silly...they need these outlets in house,and also look at the quality of the products on offer. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    UEAAddick said:
    I rarely used to buy alcohol or food in the ground. But as I am at Uni in Norwich and only go to a handful of games a season coinciding with Roland going, I have recently started buying a pint of piss water at half time.

It very much seems as slow as I remember it normally, and I can't help but think that we are doing the basics wrong.

Living in Norwich and one of my best mates being a season ticket holder I've been to about 3/4 games at Carrow Road. All those times I have bought a pint at half time and  seen how better organized they are.

They have a proper queing system for Card  and Cash Only with barriers separating them both. This meant that I was able to get a pint when the first half ended in the about 2 mins if that. Queues weren't massive and this despite the concourse being more smaller and compact than the ones at Charlton. Also they get bigger home gates than us.

One reason for this I think is everyone employed at Norwich in hospitality and catering whether concourses or lounges are contracted to the club. So Norwich trains them. This is know because I know people who work in hospitality there. At Charlton I presume that because the catering is outsourced that the staff on the concourse are employed through a big recruitment  company which don't train it's staff and if they do not very well.

Also what they offer is a much better products for a cheaper price. All the normal pies, sausage rolls and a veggie option for much less than you see at Charlton and the beer they have on offer is better quality. They have Pravha, Becks, East Coast Ipa, Woodford's Wherry. I had a Pravha which was £3.30. Much less than what you would pay in a pub In Norwich let alone a football ground. While we have overpriced Fosters and John Smiths. It's like we're stuck in 2007.

I know Norwich has a different fanbase to us and one from witnessing I would not want necessarily at Charlton, as parts are very palace like. But we are a similar size and might even be bigger than them, so surely we should be looking at how other clubs such as them in the same size bracket manage their catering on the concourses.
    It must help that Norwich is owned by one of the country's most famous caterers.  It wouldn't reflect well on her, if these things weren't right in her own business.

Time for ESI to move on and get Michel Roux in. ;)  
  • Options
    Airman will probably confirm that a £20 ticket nets down to about £12 or something silly...they need these outlets in house,and also look at the quality of the products on offer. 
    And if a season ticket drops that down to £12 a ticket you probably need/hope that person then spends £50 on other stuff in the ground. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I understand the club are looking at bringing the catering back in house as part of the objective of increasing commercial income.

There are inherent problems with football stadiums but some other clubs do seem to do it better.
    One of the great advantages of this is that we can get local staff, (students from Greenwich Uni maybe), on a regular basis so they will be trained and know exactly what’s what each time they are called in.
    They can then work the same outlet on an on going basis, with the same staff manning the same booth.
    It shouldn’t take them long to get the hang of it. As things stand, the staff seems to be different at each game.
    Simples!

• Options
    shine166 said:
    And if a season ticket drops that down to £12 a ticket you probably need/hope that person then spends £50 on other stuff in the ground. 
    Not season tickets mate.
    But if they did these offers on a semi regular basis and also offered cheap season tickets they need to make money up in other forms.
    I would assume the idea of a full ground on these offers they would hope to see a decent up on food and drink revenues to offset. 
  • Options
    It would go from not a penny more to every penny counts. 
  • Options
    I haven’t drunk beer at a game for a very long time however I do buy coke and coffee and I am often puzzled by the way the bars actually work. The only  certainty at all Charlton games is that hundreds of thirsty fans will want a pint at half time but there never seems to be very many pre poured. It seems to be the pouring which take most of the time and it’s not exactly going to ruin the “beer” sold!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Not season tickets mate.
    But if they did these offers on a semi regular basis and also offered cheap season tickets they need to make money up in other forms.
    I would assume the idea of a full ground on these offers they would hope to see a decent up on food and drink revenues to offset. 
    No I know, but a season ticket does drop the ticket price to £14 for example, or even less in the NL before cuts going elsewhere...  so they do need money coming in over the bar to justify this. I'm sure all that will be/is considered. As you say, it's all well and good trying to fill the ground, but the extra income has to come from somewhere. 

Can only use myself as an example, but if a season ticket in the covered in was £275, I'd be able to attend all 23 games and spend £50 a time on beer and food. If not, its 10 games a season spending £50 a time. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    When have the club ever asked us fans what we want to eat? Who's the genius in charge of catering who thinks that football supporters want to eat rubbish burgers, hot dogs and pies in 2020?
  • Options
    they did the pre pouring for a bit but seem to have forgotten about it - good to hear its coming back within club control and i've always felt they could get the ale situation sorted better despite previous half hearted attempts - got to say crossbars and bartrams are great - not many clubs have facilities like those where you don't have to pay yearly up front - wonder whether crossbars will revert to that? hope not - there's queues out the door at the moment - not sure how but if more facilities like that could be opened up round the ground but there is definitely the market for it - maybe an increase in prices could stave off the yearly membership thing??  
  • Options
    Always pretty surprised how many families buy food at ground. When we were taken when young we’d always have sandwiches etc pre made at home. Must cost a bomb for parents buying the whole family food, notwithstanding its pretty shite and over-priced.

Must admit I rarely bother with a pint at home games at half time now. It’s just not worth the effort.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    they did the pre pouring for a bit but seem to have forgotten about it - good to hear its coming back within club control and i've always felt they could get the ale situation sorted better despite previous half hearted attempts - got to say crossbars and bartrams are great - not many clubs have facilities like those where you don't have to pay yearly up front - wonder whether crossbars will revert to that? hope not - there's queues out the door at the moment - not sure how but if more facilities like that could be opened up round the ground but there is definitely the market for it - maybe an increase in prices could stave off the yearly membership thing??  
    maybe some of the more peripheral facilities that are housed at the valley could be incorporated into the traing ground development and further fan bars opened up? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    maybe some of the more peripheral facilities that are housed at the valley could be incorporated into the traing ground development and further fan bars opened up? 
    Get rid of the museum for a start

See how long before Henry bites  :D