Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I've been banging the 4231 drum since we lost Gallagher. Now is the game to try it (we did use it to good effect against Fulham). For me Doughty has to play as his pace and directness is something no one else gives us. If we really want to go for it we could put Alfie at LB with McGeady shifting across and Oztumer coming in (am a fan of Ozzy and he ran the game against forest early in the season) but think that would be too much. Will be something like the below. Pretty certain Aneke will be on the bench given he wasnt involved with the U23s yeserday. 

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Purrington Sarr Lockyer Solly
    Phillips

Bonne Aneke Oztumer Pratley Pearce Oshilaja Amos

Hemed Smith Davis and Morgan to miss out Williams a full rest

Wouldnt be adverse to a 5 at the back if it was Doughty at LWB and Pratley in the back 3 with Sarr and Lockyer. Cullen Field McGeady in midfield and Taylor Green up top.
    Anyone else have an image of canters peeling off his face and revealing he's been Karl Robinson this whole time?
    You could fit about 5 of me in something the size of him!

Don't get me wrong i would rather we played the diamond and its great when it works as it did early season. But without a Gallagher type player (still hoping Smith can bring his energy and athleticism whilst being good on the ball) it doesn't work and so we need to adapt. 4231 seems to be the best way to get the most out of our squad even if we lose a bit of Lyle drifting wide and dragging defenders out of position.
  • Options
    I've been banging the 4231 drum since we lost Gallagher. Now is the game to try it (we did use it to good effect against Fulham). For me Doughty has to play as his pace and directness is something no one else gives us. If we really want to go for it we could put Alfie at LB with McGeady shifting across and Oztumer coming in (am a fan of Ozzy and he ran the game against forest early in the season) but think that would be too much. Will be something like the below. Pretty certain Aneke will be on the bench given he wasnt involved with the U23s yeserday. 

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Phillips

Wouldnt be adverse to a 5 at the back if it was Doughty at LWB and Pratley in the back 3 with Sarr and Lockyer. Cullen Field McGeady in midfield and Taylor Green up top.
    I like that line up going forward. Pace to burn with Doughty and Green with McGeady able to put his foot on it in the middle. Field is more creative than Pratley.  I doubt Bowyer will be so attack minded though. The back four gives me the heebeegeebees. I think Forest have the ability to carve Solly and Purrington to pieces. I’d be tempted to persevere with Matthews despite his aberrations on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Stage is set for McGeady. And this Smith fella has looked good in training too apparently.
    If I was Bowyer I'd think 'sod it', and start both of them, and Aneke too. No one would blame him for throwing the dice.
  • Options

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Phillips

I like that line up going forward. Pace to burn with Doughty and Green with McGeady able to put his foot on it in the middle. Field is more creative than Pratley.  I doubt Bowyer will be so attack minded though. The back four gives me the heebeegeebees. I think Forest have the ability to carve Solly and Purrington to pieces. I’d be tempted to persevere with Matthews despite his aberrations on Saturday. 
    I don’t think it’s that attack minded. Cullen and Field obviously defensive midfielders and Doughty is more than capable of tracking back to defend, given that he’s played wing back very well on a few occasions this season
  • Options
    Umbro kit and red so I'll go for Carr
  • Options
    Forest tend to play football on the deck.
    We usually do better against these teams.
  • Options
    Fighting display but not enough 1- 2 defeat.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Not like me, as I am a committed glass half full merchant but I am looking forward to tonight with an unusually glass half empty attitude.
    Maybe the high winds will still be blowing and make it something of a leveller.
    Much of this feeling is as a result of Saturdays inexplicably poor display.
    I will be punching the air if we come away with a point.
  • Options
    1.64 Forest are remortgage the house and lump on ,  buying money 
  • Options
    Think we will do well all over the pitch except for our full backs,that is where we will come unstuck ,perhaps there wingers will have an off day then we could get a 1-1 draw 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    GreenieJnrJnr is going, he went to Stoke n came back with the absolute camel. Everyone associated with the club was an absolute c**t according to his post match report.
    For that reason I really hope we win.
  • Options
    Doughty has to play tonight; we need some sort of threat on the counter.
  • Options

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Phillips

Anyone else have an image of canters peeling off his face and revealing he's been Karl Robinson this whole time?
    You could fit about 5 of me in something the size of him!

Don't get me wrong i would rather we played the diamond and its great when it works as it did early season. But without a Gallagher type player (still hoping Smith can bring his energy and athleticism whilst being good on the ball) it doesn't work and so we need to adapt. 4231 seems to be the best way to get the most out of our squad even if we lose a bit of Lyle drifting wide and dragging defenders out of position.
    I like your line-up to be honest. Some worries in that I think Lyle works better with a partner and we always tend to get overrun in the midfield in that formation but I'm sure Bowyer could make it work. Making the most of the Oztumer/Aneke/McGeady type players will be key to us scoring goals against teams like Forest as they're hard defences to unlock.
  • Options

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Phillips

Whether Canters is really Gobby or not, it's a set up that matches up Forest's usual 4-2-3-1.

We've often been outnumbered and open in midfield - an extra man there to close down Forest possession and deny them space and time on the ball may well help.

It's also a line up of players with good passing and ball retention skills - and hopefully that would mean the ball would stick better upfield, not coming straight back to keep our backline under pressure and too deep.

The pace and penetration wide could give us a bit of thrust on the counter.

Agree with resting Pearce, hoping that means we would play with a higher defensive line, bringing in Nabster for his mobility and ability to pick a pass (attack those headers Naby!) ........ and definitely keep Matthews at RB, rather than a perhaps rusty Solly who hasn't played for 6 weeks.

• Options
    A 1-3 reverse, looking over our shoulder,
    shadows looming BUT one or two real six pointers to come this month will ease our nerves a bit...
    Six pointers ease the nerves? News to me.
  • Options
    Good preview, @sage.

I hope we see that more attacking lineup. If an opponent sees Taylor, Green, McGready and Oztumer/Williams facing them, it gives them something to think about. Too many defensive players against Stoke. Played into their hands. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Solly played though.  
  • Options
    Sarr has to start over Pearce if we're to get anything
  • Options

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Phillips

Bow has rotated solly and Matthew's with the odd bit of Oshi at right back thrown in every time we have had 2 games in a week. That's what I was basing that on. 

Reckon Matthew's will be saved for Saturday.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Taylor 
    Doughty McGeady Green
    Field Cullen
    Phillips

Whether Canters is really Gobby or not, it's a set up that matches up Forest's usual 4-2-3-1.

We've often been outnumbered and open in midfield - an extra man there to close down Forest possession and deny them space and time on the ball may well help.

It's also a line up of players with good passing and ball retention skills - and hopefully that would mean the ball would stick better upfield, not coming straight back to keep our backline under pressure and too deep.

The pace and penetration wide could give us a bit of thrust on the counter.

Agree with resting Pearce, hoping that means we would play with a higher defensive line, bringing in Nabster for his mobility and ability to pick a pass (attack those headers Naby!) ........ and definitely keep Matthews at RB, rather than a perhaps rusty Solly who hasn't played for 6 weeks.

I've been called gobby on many occasions but I am not Gobbinson. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LETS GO!
    Safe travels to everyone heading to tonight’s game #cafc #COYR

• Options
    Rumour on the fb page that Williams won’t feature tonight - be interesting to see 
  • Options
    In Bowyer's current mood I doubt we will be trying to attack.

I expect three defensive midfielders, probably Davis,  Cullen, Field, with Oztumer unsuccessfully trying to carry the ball to the isolated front 2. Forest will carve us apart,first slowly, then quickly.
  • Options
    I really hope Bowyer can pull a rabbit from the hat somehow and get us a point. 

Not holding my breath though. The team that played that wonderful first half against Forest at The Valley seems to have faded away.
  • Options
    I would prefer Ozzie over Jonny tonight

• Options
    Seriously cold wind,  gonna be freezing here tonight!
  • Options
    Rumour on the fb page that Williams won’t feature tonight - be interesting to see 
    Wont surprise me... Bowyer hasnt started him each time we've played Saturday / Midweek this season - Only been a few occasions where Williams has appeared from the bench for the latter

Got to remember it was Wales who started him in both their Euro Qualifiers that then saw him break down in his first game back for us (Derby)

Really isnt worth the risk, especially now we can rotate him even more sensibly with Oztumer and McGeady
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Got a sneaky feeling there’ll be a surprise tonight. Don’t know what it’ll be but hopefully it’s in the result and not just the starting line up.
  • Options
    i know you should never expect your team to lose but i think blackburn and luton are more winnable games - now i am not saying pick a team and get hammered - but i wouldnt blame bowyer for saving stronger players for saturday.