Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 15 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just left Euston - thankfully on the way home from that dross. In many ways just as bad as the Stoke game.

Taylor not at the races today, very poor. Maybe he would have been better with Bonne alongside him, but I doubt it.

Only Naby played with any degree of ability - the rest rubbish.

We are in the brown stuff.

Lyle didn't look right in the warm ups, in my opinion. 
    Was he waving goodbye? 
    I appreciate the joke. But to answer the question head on, he was shooting with a lack of energy in the warm ups. Maybe its bollocks, but he looked a bit down. 
  • Options
    The general opinion seemed to be that last season and for the early part of this, Bowyer got his tactics right?

What’s the general consensus now about his tactics?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard him take the blame for a defeat and I’m not suggesting he should for this one but just curios to hear from those regular attendees?
    Thought he got the set up wrong compounded by poor substitutions, Davis, Cullen and Smith all defensive mid fielders, zero creativity in midfield 
  • Options
    Our midfield was awful today. Davis and McGeady were poor and Cullen is still off the pace since his return from injury. We desperately missed Williams and Pratley.
  • Options
    Missed Williams and Oshilaja for a game like that. Oztumer or Pratley may have worked or Blackburn may have astutely countered them like they effectively did for all our players out there today. No lack of effort.  Credit to Blackburn.

Don't get the stick for Smith. Looks tidy and energetic for the minutes he got.
  • Options
    Bye bye LB
    Weird thing to post
    Exactly 
    Les Berry left years ago. 
  • Options
    Poor performance against a good side.  Downing  has still got it.  Blame Bowyer for the wrong set-up.  Missed Pratley’s battling but maybe he needed a rest.  Should have started Green not Hemed.  Midfield no creativity, no engine - needed Oztumer.  Think we missed the under rated Purrington too.  McGeady ok but Davis not.  Matt Smith looked good...must get it right next week...the curse of the £5 games continues...
  • Options
    Gave Smith the benefit the other night, but he was crap again today. A very strange HT sub, he must look like Messi in training !?!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tomer Hemed is absolutely useless.
  • Options
    Blackburn had players that were comfortable on the ball and looked the better side overall. We looked good for the first 10 to 15 minutes. 

The first goal was coming. we allowed a spare player to be unmarked on the edge of our box  a couple of times before finally a Blackburn player said thanks and stuck it away.

2nd goal killed it for us there was no way back Blackburn keeper made decent saves on the couple of occasions we did threaten, but overall they did a good job on us.

We need to put this behind us and move on with more conviction next week and stay in the game against Luton.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just left Euston - thankfully on the way home from that dross. In many ways just as bad as the Stoke game.

Taylor not at the races today, very poor. Maybe he would have been better with Bonne alongside him, but I doubt it.

Only Naby played with any degree of ability - the rest rubbish.

We are in the brown stuff.

Lyle didn't look right in the warm ups, in my opinion. 
    Was he waving goodbye? 
    I appreciate the joke. But to answer the question head on, he was shooting with a lack of energy in the warm ups. Maybe its bollocks, but he looked a bit down. 
    Perhaps he was worried about the poxy weather.
  • Options
    that Davies dont look much to me, Doherty needs to be dropped for a few weeks, Pearce dont at this level, Hemed never looks like scoring, football for a fiver tourists around me were annoying, shit weather
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Blackburn did a good job on him. I thought he needed somebody playing closer to him as he wasn't getting the joy he usually does but this happens in football.
  • Options
    Smith, McGeady and Davis looked pony - I hope they have more about them than today's performances.

Disappointing, Blackburn just looked like they wanted it more .

Luton up next is huge.
  • Options
    Decent first 15 mins, but poor thereafter and they controlled the game.

Poor all over the pitch and barely got in to their box 2nd half. 

They look a decent, well organised team.

Genuinely never want to see us do these offer games again. We are always complete dogshit and the atmosphere is worse than a normal.

It shows the best way to get big crowds is by playing well and winning games. Then the crowds will come.
    completely agree for some reason having a packed house with tourists dilutes the atmosphere so much, rather have 15000 die hards 
  • Options
    I was pessimistic for some reason today, probably the fiver offer/full house, which usually acts as a curse on us. Anyhow, a cat crossed my path near the fish and chip shop in Floyd Road. Ah, I thought, maybe a lucky cat? But it was a fat tabby not a black cat so I was doubtful that it would break the curse and so it turned out.
    We started pretty well, as Lord Bowyer said. But we had no-one to pull the strings and really control the midfield. Our midfielders are either ball winners or chasers so we seemed pretty disjointed today, especially after Blackburn took the lead. Blackburn mainly bossed the game and were good value for their win. It is alarming that once again we lose a goal to a set piece.
    One other thought, the wind seemed to drop in the second half when it should have helped us. That happened the last time we played in a gusty gale. Methinks the footballing gods are taking the Mick!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IR94 said:
    that Davies dont look much to me, Doherty needs to be dropped for a few weeks, Pearce dont at this level, Hemed never looks like scoring, football for a fiver tourists around me were annoying, shit weather
    Apart from that it was alright though!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The Good:
    Knew what the result would be, but my 3 year old paid attention for about 60 minutes, despite the weather.

The Bad:
    Pearce being replaced with Smith at half time. He's not ready.

The Ugly:
    Pearce blocking off Sarr for the second. Pearce almost giving away a penalty, it'd have been harsh but we've seen em given. 

• Options
    Have the ESI signings really improved us? Davies looks worse than Pratley, Smith just a youngster (we have loads of them) Mcgeady finished. Can't believe we didnt address the problem of getting a proper lb and cb in
  • Options
    I think we will probably be ok. Blackburn were very well organised and we needed a flair player in midfield like Williams or Oztumer. Some teams will suit us more than others. Good to see Bonne back.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Apart from that it was alright though!
    Not sure what he adds although he may not have settled yet.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Good points. My mate is a Birmingham fan and wasn't surprised when we got Davis. He simply said: "his best days are past him".

As for Doughty, I think you are right. He needs a rest, both physically and mentally. The expectancy levels are maybe a bit too much for him at this stage, and he looks a little lost at times. Undoubted talent mind you, just needs to be nurtured and managed accordingly. 
  • Options
    I thought Doughty was ok - better today than Matthews who didn't get forwards with any effect. At home, at the very least, the formation requires them to do so.