Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 15 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Sorry to say but imo I think LB is on borrowed time. Keeps playing too many defensive midfielders......please choose just one of:

Pratley
    Cullen
    Smith
    Davis

Playing 2 together doesn't work & 3 (like we did in the 2nd half) is just a defeat waiting to happen. We have no-one in midfield to drive us forward & no real width either. Best player today was Mathews.

Thought McGeady had a good 1st but not surprising he faded in the 2nd half due to lack of proper game time. Oz should have come on for him, Bonne for Hemed & Green instead of Smith. 

So glad we brought in so many defensive midfielders in January & decided not to bring in attacking ones or even a striker. Dont worry, all will be ok once Cullen & Williams are back.......
  • Options
    Blackburn played the conditions better than Cafc, and deserved their win. 
    Shame the wind was too strong for Williams to play.
    Only Sarr played well and Taylor gave 100% but just not his day. Dennis the Menace gave us more problems than Rovers.

Back to the regulars next Saturday for a mega game against Luton.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Blackburn played the conditions better than Cafc, and deserved their win. 
    Shame the wind was too strong for Williams to play.
    Only Sarr played well and Taylor gave 100% but just not his day. Dennis the Menace gave us more problems than Rovers.

Back to the regulars next Saturday for a mega game against Luton.
     Taylor was a real mixed bag, some sublime skill and some ridiculous decision making.

Mood in the team seemed very off.
  • Options
    A very poor defensive display in the first half, while the conditions were tough the Blackburn defence seemed to cope fine

I thought Lockyer was as bad as Pearce in the first half, several times making misjudgements, and for all his own mistakes Pearce did rescue us from a couple of them. Lockyer is lucky that 2 of the 3 CBs out there are naturally left sided ones, so if we go to a 2, it's then a choice of Sarr or Pearce to play with Lockyer, when at the moment Sarr is the only one of the 3 who deserves to be an automatic starter.
  • Options
    Just got home, and as others have said the team did not turn up today. No midfield and the forwards did little.

Hemed, Davies & McGeady look like blokes that have won a competition to play for a football club for a day. We are a League 1 team playing in The Championship and this team is weaker than the one that won at Wembley so we have gone backwards.

I fear our business in the January window could still bite us on the arse.
    What business ? That was a joke.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Long way to go and we do have a bit of a cushion still, so until its out of our hands and we are relying on others to fuck up, id rather be us than any team below us.
    I get what your saying about our form is not great and we are lucky we done so well at the start of the season, but i still rekon we will be ok this month and pick up a few needed wins and relax a little.
    Pratley has had a 2 game break so unless he picks up a knock or illness, he has to start against Luton. We need him big time for that game. Problem is he will be so fired up he will be booked and then suspended for the next game but i dont care we can worry about that after, its important he plays on Saturday.
    Less said about todays match the better. Last fiver match i attend tho.
    Oh and you have 37% for relegation now! No way mate more like 15% and even less by 1st March. I know it aint easy after days like today but cheer up🙂

Sorry that was reply to oohaa. I thought i had quoted him
  • Options
    The conditions were difficult, we just needed a bit more creativity in the team for the second half.
  • Options
    I’ve said it a good few weeks ago and got pelters for it. It’s never easy to stop a slide regardless of personnel returning. A run of bad results has a very damaging effect on the whole club. I thought then and I still think we will at some point drop into bottom three and I Hope have enough to climb out again. This is going to be very close.
    You didn’t get pelters from me mate. Momentum is such a priceless commodity. When you lose it you lose it and it is very hard to get back. I thought we might have got some after Forest but today sadly proved that we are very much still in the mire 
  • Options
    Think you’re right Dazzler, the mood did seem off.

Maybe cos the new chaps weren’t pulling as much weight as they should.

Even though the result may have been the same (as Blackburn were pretty good), I think LB got it wrong again today, although he was probably expecting the new boys to bring more to the party.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 wins and 2 defeats is ok when you are in the danger zone. A win against Luton and it is better than OK.
  • Options
    No point in trying to analyse that - rain and wind always meant it was going to be a bit of a lottery today. At the end of the day, Blackburn managed to play a bit more football when it mattered and the best team won.

One thing I will say is that I think Oztumer is getting a rough deal. Played really well the other night and gets dropped the next game. Not the first time this has happened. Can't understand why McGeady got the nod over him today. 

Can't see us being as bad next week but I really hope Bowyer goes for a 4-4-2 line up. 
  • Options

That was dispiriting after such a fine performance at Forest, although it was never going to be easy against a tough and streetwise team like Blackburn.

We started with a good tempo but Blackburn worked their way into the game and started to dictate the play, with their impressive right back prominent in a number of forays. I haven’t seen the goals again but, for the first one, our players gave their guy far too much space and time to work a shooting position from 20 yards out. As for the second, the ball seemed to be knocked in from almost waist high around our six yard box. How the ball got there without a defender getting something on it, I do not know.

Lyle drew a good save from their goalie just before half time and subsequently from a second half free kick, but we never really threatened to get back into the game from 0-2 down and they saw the game out very comfortably.

We were beaten by a better all round team. Their passing and movement was superior, they won most of the 50/50s and their shape, defensive work, tracking back and physicality were very impressive.

It’s not the end of the world but, with the teams below us all gaining ground today, it is imperative that we do the business next Saturday against Luton. 

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I would still go 3 at the back, but would prefer Pratley instead of Pearce and Williams playing behind a front two of Bonne and Taylor. Oztumer if Williams is still out. I think I would give Solly a go a rwb too. Smith isn't ready.
  • Options
    Very frustrating to watch today. Our midfield were not mobile enough, surely playing Davis, Mcgeady and Cullen as well as Hemed, there was no chance of applying any attacking pressure, next week is massive
  • Options
    No point in trying to analyse that - rain and wind always meant it was going to be a bit of a lottery today. At the end of the day, Blackburn managed to play a bit more football when it mattered and the best team won.

One thing I will say is that I think Oztumer is getting a rough deal. Played really well the other night and gets dropped the next game. Not the first time this has happened. Can't understand why McGeady got the nod over him today. 

Can't see us being as bad next week but I really hope Bowyer goes for a 4-4-2 line up. 
    Don’t think Oztumer was dropped - it’s rotation, and no doubt he will play against Luton, as will Pratley and Bonne from the start.
  • Options
    I’ve said it a good few weeks ago and got pelters for it. It’s never easy to stop a slide regardless of personnel returning. A run of bad results has a very damaging effect on the whole club. I thought then and I still think we will at some point drop into bottom three and I Hope have enough to climb out again. This is going to be very close.
    To be fair we're not currently in a slide. 2 wins in our last 4 matches is the sort of form that will keep us up. 

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

The form table backs that up, it's not brilliant but it's not bottom 3 form. 
  • Options
    To be fair we're not currently in a slide. 2 wins in our last 4 matches is the sort of form that will keep us up. 

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

The form table backs that up, it's not brilliant but it's not bottom 3 form. 
    We've been poor in three of the four games with Forest being the only exception. Hopefully will turn up next Saturday.
  • Options
    For me today highlighted my major issue with how we handled the transfer window. We all wanted to get it done in order to save our season - quite literally on current glance at the very least it’s fair to say they have added almost nothing to what we currently had to go with - for our big push to save the season it seems almost pointless:

Davis
    Smith
    McGeady
    Green

On showings today none have been what we needed. Players coming back have had a bigger impact..... but have we seen even an Adjarevic equivalent who played such a role in saving our season that time? That’s what disappoints me.

We missed the chance to sort this out once and for all and now it’s gonna be going right to the wire and reliant on must win 6 pointers
    Davis was excellent midweek. Green has scored goals and got assists since he joined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I have been lucky to see a lot of us home and away the last couple seasons, today was the first time I thought we played players and not a team, no shape, no structure just 'he's a good player in that position'. 

It backfired, Blackburn were better, we lost and now we need to learn or we are bang in trouble. Luton up next and they will be up for it, I hope we are
  • Options
    The general opinion seemed to be that last season and for the early part of this, Bowyer got his tactics right?

What’s the general consensus now about his tactics?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard him take the blame for a defeat and I’m not suggesting he should for this one but just curios to hear from those regular attendees?
    we were a midfielder short - 3 centre halfs marking one striker - he should have changed it on half hour - hemed should never play again and shouldf have been hooked - green ended up in the hole, he should have been where smith ended up and otzumer should have been in the hole - other than that, bowyer did alright 
  • Options
    A very poor defensive display in the first half, while the conditions were tough the Blackburn defence seemed to cope fine
    First half it was in their favour. Second half it had turned towards the west.

No wonder it didn't seem to bother them.
  • Options
    Davis needs to be dropped for next week 
    agreed - he is not good
  • Options
    We had an issue where our points tally was much worse than our goal difference would suggest it should be, but the last 4 results have slightly offset this
    2-1
    0-3
    1-0
    0-2

i.e. a net 3-6, so to get 2 wins and 6 points is quite useful...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    First half it was in their favour. Second half it had turned towards the west.

No wonder it didn't seem to bother them.
    Hard to read the wind direction from where I was sitting. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    For once an oppo goalie made a couple of key saves. A Taylor header just before HT could've made a big difference and we might've sneaked a point from a dodgy performance.

He saved it, plus the free kick and the Cullen shot and we were well beaten. 

Doughty must get a killer ball to go with his pace....or his future will be as a  left back. And for that to happen, he'll need to tighten up his defending. 

Poor from us today. In the minute before the first goal, we were one on one in our left back area (needed to be 2 on 1 but were too lazy to shuffle across) and then didn't send 2 out to stop the short corner. Next move....only 1 went out to engage the shooter, got beaten and an easy shit at goal 0-1. Not like us but showed how we weren't at it. 
  • Options
    Bad day at the office today for sure, must do better next Saturday. 
  • Options
    Did Bonne touch the ball more than once ? Didn’t realise he was on for last 25 mins