Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 15 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I'd like to see Pratley instead of Pearce - It would give us a lot of flexibility. Then we need Williams or Oztumer behind the front two. Or maybe even a front one and Aneke and one of the two. McGeady can come on when needed. I'd have Green on the bench too.
  • Options
    On a brighter note it was nice to see Mark Garvey yesterday I hadn't seen him in ages. 
    He was our original drummer for those that don't know him.
    We had a chat in xbars and he is getting a season ticket next season. 
  • Options
    Quite tragic how reference was frequently made to other scores during the match thread. Almost an acceptance that the teams future is not in their hands. Great transfer window from the Tweeter Deleter...... 
    It's fans on thé match thread not the players so irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    LouisMend said:
    no - things changed after abou 10 minutes when blackburn realised their defence had our forwards in their pocket and swarmed forward and dominated midfield / possession - we had no real pace up top and looked toothless - taylor was found out a bit today but hemed was particularly useless as was davies
    Please explain what that means @DOUCHER ?
  • Options
    Didn't see the game but I do think criticism of Bowyer is misplaced when these new wonderful owners supply him only with League One rejects and manage to lose our one and only Premier League class player.
  • Options
    Their keeper played well and made some decent saves, but they were all ones you'd expect a decent keeper to save

I'd forgotten he's actually a Brighton player, but in 7 years he's played 4 games for Brighton and 152 games elsewhere on loan!
  • Options
    Had plenty of chances - past it and can go and waste someone else’s money for salaries. 
  • Options
    Got absolutely battered yesterday.

Felt for Doughty he got an absolute pasting from their right back. McGeady looked 33 and like he hasn't played a game of football in ages..... Weird eh?

If a team sits back against us, we can't move the ball up the pitch. A tough watch.

Against teams which have more quality against us across the park we have really need that first goal. (You always want the first goal, but you know what I mean)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think we will do it but would like to see us go 433 and take the game to Luton. Green, Taylor and Bonne as the 3, with Williams, Cullen and Pratley in midfield. Should give us some energy and options in the final third, much needed. 

Bonus win against Forest voided and we are in a scrap that’s for sure. 
  • Options
    Just a small point, I know there’s a lot more other things to concern ourselves with but Cullens corners seem to be predictable, and getting worse, can no one else in our team take a decent corner? Naby or Mcgeady perhaps, just to confuse the opposition for a change!
  • Options
    I have seen nothing to convince me that Smith is remotely better than Morgan, and plenty from the latter, to suggest he should start. Especially in a Cullen & Davis side lacking Williams.

Number ten In order:-

1. Williams
    2. Morgan
    3. Aneke
    4. Ozzy
    5. McGeady
    6. Doughty
    7. Smith
    8. Cullen
    9. Vennings or Aoucharia
    10. Me
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Have read most of the previous comments with most interest.
    From my point of view (Season Ticket Lower West D block), guy next
    to me probably never been before. I like passion, the drumming
    atmosphere during the game. All the bloke beside did was tell the
    two ladies behind me that they should go and get the 5.00 clock
    train home. We don't need these passionless bargain hunters.
    Also Matt Smith reminds me of a poor Paul Bacon, hope I've got
    that wrong. Think the atmosphere will be better against Luton
    when the real supporters will be the majority. We desperately need
    Pratley, Williams and Purrington back in the side!
    I think the guy behind you was right.

Why would anyone put themselves through the shower of shit that is the train home from a sellout match for the sake of ten more minutes of that utter balls. 

Bargain hunters? I came up from Cornwall. Train. Hotel. Food and took two people with me who wouldn't have gone otherwise and apologised for the total pile of shit we had to watch. 

Welcome to the forum btw

• Options
    Structure and tactics. And that's management 
  • Options
    I think we have to accept that we were basically playing kids who were not ready and now we look to have everybody coming back which should make us more optimistic. You are right, teams can get sucked in and we need to get out of the gravitational pull of relegation. I fear these past months have made Bowyer a bit more cautious, but also we don't know the fitness situation as well as he does.

When he came into the job, he was definitely a front foot manager and when we don't have any players it is right not to be. But a couple of recent games have worried me. If we win on Saturday I think we will go on and get enough points but we are right to be concerned. 

The ball does have to stop coming back so often, so quickly from our attacks and I think we should expect this not to happen anymore whilst it was understandable when we were playing Davison as a lone striker with no creative midfielders. 

Ok, we did not have a lot of choice but Davis looks a decent addition, Smith looks a bit out of his depth. McGeady looks a good option from the bench. I am disapointed with the window overall whilst accepting it is difficult. We played games and lost points in January which we might have been able to do something about.  It is no point panicking though. Panic can spread and we do have enough to stay up.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think we have to accept that we were basically playing kids who were not ready and now we look to have everybody coming back which should make us more optimistic. You are right, teams can get sucked in and we need to get out of the gravitational pull of relegation. I fear these past months have made Bowyer a bit more cautious, but also we don't know the fitness situation as well as he does.

When he came into the job, he was definitely a front foot manager and when we don't have any players it is right not to be. But a couple of recent games have worried me. If we win on Saturday I think we will go on and get enough points but we are right to be concerned. 

The ball does have to stop coming back so often, so quickly from our attacks and I think we should expect this not to happen anymore whilst it was understandable when we were playing Davison as a lone striker with no creative midfielders. 

Ok, we did not have a lot of choice but Davis looks a decent addition, Smith looks a bit out of his depth. McGeady looks a good option from the bench. I am disapointed with the window overall whilst accepting it is difficult. We played games and lost points in January which we might have been able to do something about.  It is no point panicking though. Panic can spread and we do have enough to stay up.
    I think I pretty much agree with all of this. And I'm not panicking, I just feel like there's a lot of "well, we'll be fine" that glosses over some issues.

The two things that you articulate really well is
    1) Bowyer knows the fitness situation better than any of us
    2) Bowyer has become more of a back foot manager.

The first one worries me because even though we have players back, a lot of them are lacking match sharpness. I feel like we saw that with Taylor and Cullen and McGeady, and Williams and JFC have disappeared again.

On the second point, yes the last few months have made Bowyer more cautious. I thought that trend actually started toward the end of last season as we played three CBs more and more. And we don't even seem to press from the front anymore. 

But now is the time for that to change, and on the bright side it did look to change in the second half. I hope we start with a 4-4-2 diamond next weekend and start by defending from the front. It has been far too easy for teams to build from the back and through midfield against us, and our defending from set pieces makes that a particularly risky proposition. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    LouisMend said:
    no - things changed after abou 10 minutes when blackburn realised their defence had our forwards in their pocket and swarmed forward and dominated midfield / possession - we had no real pace up top and looked toothless - taylor was found out a bit today but hemed was particularly useless as was davies
    Please explain what that means @DOUCHER ?
    well, just that everything he tried was snuffed out by a stronger, quicker defender - i like taylor but there is a limit to which he can go and yesterday he was ineffective
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Three centre backs doesn't have to be defensive though. I think you stick Pratley in the middle and it becomes more flexible. It wasn't working well  yesterday as Blackburn were using their extra man in midfield to good effect but Pratley could have pushed up with no need for a sub, increasing tactical options from the bench. But Pratley wasn't available. I think if Williams was playing it would have worked better. 

I like the diamond away but it needs tweaking at home. Nut agree how teams can build against us with not enough challenge. It can be like them building a base camp in our half. This is not acceptable now we have players back.
  • Options
    Even yesterday it could have worked as Naby clearly is very capable of stepping up with the ball,  but the main problem was (other than the goals) both Locker and Pearce really struggling with simple balls over the top
  • Options
    The conditions did contribute to that.
  • Options
    It was not a great performance, yet the first 10 we were clearly on top, and for 20 minutes in the second half we were forcing the issue, once again we werent out of the game and I think this is why we have a better goal difference to most down at the bottom. 

I am nervous, and there is a decent amount of anxiety for sure, we are in the deep and I'd give us 68% of survival which is too close for me. 

2 wins in the last 4 is brilliant though and if we beat Luton we will be feeling really good again, we all want the anxiety to dissipate and points will do that, Lee Bowyer will be a better manager for this experience just like Powell was before him, we MUST stay up or project ESI is in trouble 6 months after it started. 

Big Big game on Sat, we all know it's almost Luton's last throw of the dice, they will be fighting for their life, particularly after they turned us over at their place. 

Hold tight, it's getting bumpy and it'll probably hurt more before it gets better. 

• Options
    Comedy goalkeeping for the first goal.  It looked like an adult letting a kid score by diving over the ball.

Some of the defenders seemed adamant there was an infringement for the second goal so I'm not going to call out what looked like comedy defending.
    K you missed the big deflection off Lockyer’s heel then?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    john3 said:
    Outplayed for most of the game, Blackburn had a lot more about them than us and their goalkeeper was excellent.
       I would rather see Pratley over Davis as I think he has a great presence in the team and works a lot harder throughout the whole game.  Also would rather see William's or Oztumer instead of McGeady.
       Now that Bonne is back start him instead of Hemed.
      They pretty much closed down Taylor for large parts of the game , he didn't have his best game for us today. 
      Overall a poor and untidy performance, gonna have to shake things up for Luton that's for sure.
    Agreed and I think Bowyer does as well, which is why he probably saved them for Luton next week, rather than risking them v Blackburn.
  • Options
    john3 said:
    Outplayed for most of the game, Blackburn had a lot more about them than us and their goalkeeper was excellent.
       I would rather see Pratley over Davis as I think he has a great presence in the team and works a lot harder throughout the whole game.  Also would rather see William's or Oztumer instead of McGeady.
       Now that Bonne is back start him instead of Hemed.
      They pretty much closed down Taylor for large parts of the game , he didn't have his best game for us today. 
      Overall a poor and untidy performance, gonna have to shake things up for Luton that's for sure.
    Agreed and I think Bowyer does as well, which is why he probably saved them for Luton next week, rather than risking them v Blackburn.
    Bowyer's tinkering will have had due regard to players still building up their minutes on return from injury, those needing a rest and the need to avoid a further booking resulting in a suspension, as in the case of Pratley IIRC. Furthermore having experienced Riga's targeting of games to avoid relegation in 2014, Jackson is likely to have discussed this strategy with LB.
  • Options
    Agreed. We can know what might be a better line up but Bowyer will know that too I'm sure. He just has information we don't have regarding fitness etc...
  • Options
    Its a sensible approach from Bowyer, focusing on select games rather than them all

I'd probably do the same in his shoes, yet its a very risky approach and hope it don't backfire for him
  • Options
    A disappointing game but win against Luton and hopefully we can forget it.