Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 15 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I just wonder whether Bowyer thought the conditions wouldn't suit Oztumer, not to forget the long ball game we seemed to be playing for much of the match. But it needed someone to run with the ball and help keep possession and although I think Smith did OK, like many others, I was surprised and it looked to be the wrong move.

Green, despite some decent touches, and Bonne didn't really help change the game and although he does get stick, Hemed is a good hold-up player who will have an imnportant part to play in our batttle for Championship survival.

Big game next week. Just happy thet didn't choose the Luton game for Football For A Fiver!
  • Options
    Comedy goalkeeping for the first goal.  It looked like an adult letting a kid score by diving over the ball.

Some of the defenders seemed adamant there was an infringement for the second goal so I'm not going to call out what looked like comedy defending.
  • Options
    Gutted for the club. +8k fans and couldn’t capitalise on the day. Blackburn were the better side but rode their luck, having a 12th man on the pitch and Lyle a bit too accurate with his header and free kick. Another day we would have carved out at least a draw. This will not help Luton next week as I am sure we will come out both gloves off from the start! 

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Oztumer adds so much to our offensive game- he gets into great positions between the lines; without him or Williams, we lack any creativity in midfield and it renders us either reliant on direct football or getting Doughty into one on one positions.  

Also, anyone agree that Morgan is far better than Smith.
    I think most people think that at this present time Morgan offers more than Smith. 
    Bowyer apparently doesn't. 
  • Options
    The better team won because they tried to keep the ball on the deck, we didn’t.
    Pratley should have played.
    But that all said and done I had a great time, it’s so good to be back at the valley and feel part of the club again. Even though we were crap. But that’s Charlton.
    COYR!
  • Options
    Just watched the brief highlights on SKY .... in the cold light of day, their keeper has made 3 outstanding saves to keep out Hemed, Taylor and Cullen. Plus we had the free kicks in good positions. The highlights didn't show any other Blackburn chances. We didn't play well but On another day we might've won
  • Options
    The fiver curse has struck again,please no more.It is better to have one fan paying £20 than 4 paying £5 who have no interest in the game.
    The person next to me came in 10 min late,half time went out 5 min early,came back late and left before the end,spent most of the time on the phone or taking photos.
    Toilets rammed at half time .
    Poxy journey home/
    Fan bar run out or Murphys by one o clock.
    The tourists dont add to the atmosphere,the regulars provide that,they started to leave 15 min before the end,which shows how much they know about Charlton matches.
    Other than that,I cant think of a player today who done himself justice,we were totally outplayed all over the park.
    Yeah, but apart from that........😉
  • Options
    Woeful
    Why do we continue playing 5 at the back
    Pearce is a liability and always getting beaten at this level
    Matthews is not a wing back - does not get forward enough and never busts a gut to get back although his first touch is good
    Davis & Mcgeady - there is a reason why neither of these players were getting games in teams either same level of us or below us !!

We now need to dig in and play players who want to put their bodies on the line. we must start playing Solly and Pratley as their will to win rubs off on others.

Go to a back 4 and start playing the ball up the other end, Pratley can always go into the back 4 if we are really under the cosh.  

Phillips - Solly, Lockyear, Sarr Doughty,  Greene, Cullen, Pratley, Williams, Bonne, Taylor  - Morgan should be on the subs bench 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Full of optimism after the first ten minutes with Hemed and Taylor shots but downhill after that. Beaten by a better team in the end though, having said that, we might have snatched something with the chances we had - great saves by the Rovers keeper. Now it's time to bring back Pratley - thought we really missed him.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    _MrDick said:
    Just watched the brief highlights on SKY .... in the cold light of day, their keeper has made 3 outstanding saves to keep out Hemed, Taylor and Cullen. Plus we had the free kicks in good positions. The highlights didn't show any other Blackburn chances. We didn't play well but On another day we might've won
    Can anyone post a link please?

Just seen highlights on VP. I potentially quite like McGeady, but their first goal is down to him I'm afraid. He just waved a leg at the guy who went past him and scored. Lack of match fitness, if we're being generous.
    The free kick for the second was missed by Hemed, then Lockyer.
    Pearce was very lucky for the penalty.
    VP didn't show the goal-bound Hemed header from the corner that hit a defender's head.
    Overall we were way second best, but as the highlights show, we had plenty of chances and could have nicked a draw.
    Luton will be massive, and I think we have to start Oztumer and or Williams, injury willing.
  • Options
    Woeful
    Why do we continue playing 5 at the back
    Pearce is a liability and always getting beaten at this level
    Matthews is not a wing back - does not get forward enough and never busts a gut to get back although his first touch is good
    Davis & Mcgeady - there is a reason why neither of these players were getting games in teams either same level of us or below us !!

We now need to dig in and play players who want to put their bodies on the line. we must start playing Solly and Pratley as their will to win rubs off on others.

Go to a back 4 and start playing the ball up the other end, Pratley can always go into the back 4 if we are really under the cosh.  

Phillips - Solly, Lockyear, Sarr Doughty,  Greene, Cullen, Pratley, Williams, Bonne, Taylor  - Morgan should be on the subs bench 
    Matthews often "busts a gut to get back" so can't agree with that, though agree he's less of a wing back and more a conventional full back that gets forward occasionally. His crossing is poor though. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Comedy goalkeeping for the first goal.  It looked like an adult letting a kid score by diving over the ball.

Some of the defenders seemed adamant there was an infringement for the second goal so I'm not going to call out what looked like comedy defending.
    I was in the west stand and well placed to see it. There was a bit of a drag back by there player in the first place. Refs assistant should have spotted it. There was another foul he should have spotted i.e. couldn't miss. He was a bit of a joke to be honest.

For me, three centre backs would work well if the middle one was Pratley. He can join the midfield if and when required and sit back when Sarr goes forward. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    _MrDick said:
    Can anyone post a link please?
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11934962/charlton-0-2-blackburn
  • Options

Ridiculous comment regarding the first goal. Did you not notice the deflection?
    Irrespective of any foul that may or may not have happened in the build up to the second goal there most definitely was comedy defending from Hemed and Lockyer.
    In fact there was a bit of comedy defending before the first goal from McGeady. 
  • Options
    We were terrible, also thing for me was McGeady slows the game down, whilst Williams injects pace into an attack on the ball, so maybe Oztumer is the more natural replacement 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointed as usual. They adapted to the conditions, we didn't. Their keeper made a couple of very good saves too. 
  • Options
    Lost to a better side. Experienced players with great organisation. Johnson and Downing ran midfield allowing their youngster to cause us problems and he was man of match for me. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Ridiculous comment regarding the first goal. Did you not notice the deflection?
    Irrespective of any foul that may or may not have happened in the build up to the second goal there most definitely was comedy defending from Hemed and Lockyer.
    In fact there was a bit of comedy defending before the first goal from McGeady. 
    And from Davis. He had plenty of time to move out and provide a second blocker but hung back and allowed the shot. 
  • Options
    So Williams is injured because Bonne fell on him - it would be funny if it wasn't so bloody tragic.
    As to the game, we were totally outplayed once Rovers got into their stride.
    Our passing was erratic; our build up laboured and we too often resorted to hoofball with the Rovers defence in their comfort zone and Taylor not quite on his game.
    Our performance seemed to be littered with wrong decisions.
    Was surprised McGeady wasn't involved with those free kicks just outside the box, as I am given to believe he has pedigree.
    Was fumng at the way we allowed the first goalscorer the room to waltz across until he was dead central before given a free shot.
    Not sure why the knob was giving it to the covered end though.
    Thought Gallagher was really conspicuous by his absence today. Oh well, nowt we can do about that now.
    I wonder if those that were saying wait until we have our injured back and wait until 1St Feb are having pause for thought now.
    What we don't have now is the momentum and belief we carried over into the beginning of the season.
    It's gonna be a slog and no mistake.

• Options

We were well beaten by a fluent team. Folk who watch closely will see how poor we are at passing and receiving the ball. These failings are long-standing, not just apparent yesterday. Passes rarely arrive in the runner’s stride; he has to stop or divert. And the recipient fails to collect cleanly; while he’s taking several touches to control the ball, an opponent pounces to intercept.

That’s why a passing move from defence to attack takes us twice as long as a similar move by superior opponents. Leeds, Swansea, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Blackburn and others play swiftly and smoothly. Their play approaching the box is rapid and instinctive, while ours is laboured; you can sense our man with the ball having to think what to do with it. Too late! It’s lost!

With a weak midfield – a soft centre that has beset us for years – and a featherweight attack, it’s not just the young deputies who fall short. Many of our experienced defenders and midfielders are evidently not capable of challenging for honours in this division. ESI must invest in more effective players in the summer.

Nail on the head. Our team is filled with players who are not as good as most of our opponents. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Oztumer adds so much to our offensive game- he gets into great positions between the lines; without him or Williams, we lack any creativity in midfield and it renders us either reliant on direct football or getting Doughty into one on one positions.  

Also, anyone agree that Morgan is far better than Smith.
    I think most people think that at this present time Morgan offers more than Smith. 
    Bowyer apparently doesn't. 
    Bowyer is human but he seems more intent on making a point to Morgan. There was a moment yesterday when Smith totally neglected that he should have been defending in front of Matthews - Morgan would have been pilloried . 

I love LB- I don’t doubt him at all, by the way . 
  • Options
    Nadou said:

We were well beaten by a fluent team. Folk who watch closely will see how poor we are at passing and receiving the ball. These failings are long-standing, not just apparent yesterday. Passes rarely arrive in the runner’s stride; he has to stop or divert. And the recipient fails to collect cleanly; while he’s taking several touches to control the ball, an opponent pounces to intercept.

That’s why a passing move from defence to attack takes us twice as long as a similar move by superior opponents. Leeds, Swansea, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Blackburn and others play swiftly and smoothly. Their play approaching the box is rapid and instinctive, while ours is laboured; you can sense our man with the ball having to think what to do with it. Too late! It’s lost!

With a weak midfield – a soft centre that has beset us for years – and a featherweight attack, it’s not just the young deputies who fall short. Many of our experienced defenders and midfielders are evidently not capable of challenging for honours in this division. ESI must invest in more effective players in the summer.

Nail on the head. Our team is filled with players who are not as good as most of our opponents. 
    It’s what comes of too many years shopping in the bargain bins.
  • Options
    I agree about Taylor, although he did try. What I never understand is why we keep doing the same things when they aren't working. Taylor is usually very effective playing a bit wide and making a nuisance of himself, but we could have made him go a bit more central and try to get in the box when he could.  Smith needs a few U-23 games before he gets anywhere near the team. IMO it was a masive error putting him on instead of Oztumer. Although I do understand why Bowyer put on another midfielder. 
  • Options
    Need Pratley and Williams in midfield next Saturday and Green up with Taylor.