Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Brits

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The Brits are dead to me until the Pink Fairies get a lifetime achievement award.
    Uncle Harry would turn in his grave.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    10 minutes
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I don't think it'll be remembered much going forward, not a classic year at all. No real stand out performances or collaborations this year, shame as it was celebrating 40 years. 

My thoughts: 

Dave, an articulate and creative rap artist, but surely he could have come up with a better performance name! 

Stormzy, I quite like him, he has a bit of humour about him but his performance went on for too long last night.

Lizzo, don't know much about her but she was good last night, energetic performance and funny with her interactions with Jack Whitehall. Same for Harry Styles but WTF was he wearing?! 

Politics have been a part of the Brits for years and now people are moaning because they don't agree with the points being made this time around. Stick around and in a few years time it'll be about something different that you might agree with. Politics and music go hand in hand and always have done. 

Edited as I forgot to mention Celeste, who I have never heard of but has an amazing voice! 

• Options
    The award for the most woke performance goes to.........

Seriously though, was disappointed that Michael Kiwanuka didn't win anything as he is an incredible artist, just brilliant.

Not that I watched the predictable pile of self congratulatory shite; I'd rather go and watch Palace!
  • Options
    I'm keep thinking I'm too old for all  this synth voiced girl music or the tone deaf rap/grime/drill/shite/whatever.
    Then I have a real think, I'm not old and I actually like real music that has lyrics, melody, musicians that can actually play an instrument and "stars" that dont have to make juvenile speeches.
    Lucky for me me my old mother was in the A&E at Woolwich  last night so I got to see the real grit of South East London and was spared ITV and the "best" of British music annual backslapping.  My wife watched it but she is tone deaf, the target audience.
    "Real music". Man, what a concept. That's a great example of generational thinking (not that that's a value judgement, it's just the way it is).

People fully rioted at the 1913 premiere of Rite of Spring in Paris, because the bitonality was "shocking".

Wagner's contemporaries in Paris almost ubiquitously described his music as lustful, or otherworldly, or tempting - whether it was good or bad though is down to opinion and how socially conservative or liberal you were. Gasperini's response to Tristan and Isolde is basically puritanical - he views the harmony and music as immoral. Would we think that today? Would we view the high range, lack of bass, and descent through alto/tenor to the bass register in the Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin (which was novel exploration of music at the time) as too dangerous or exciting?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The award for the most woke performance goes to.........

Seriously though, was disappointed that Michael Kiwanuka didn't win anything as he is an incredible artist, just brilliant.

Not that I watched the predictable pile of self congratulatory shite; I'd rather go and watch Palace!
    Absolutely
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'm keep thinking I'm too old for all  this synth voiced girl music or the tone deaf rap/grime/drill/shite/whatever.
    Then I have a real think, I'm not old and I actually like real music that has lyrics, melody, musicians that can actually play an instrument and "stars" that dont have to make juvenile speeches.
    Lucky for me me my old mother was in the A&E at Woolwich  last night so I got to see the real grit of South East London and was spared ITV and the "best" of British music annual backslapping.  My wife watched it but she is tone deaf, the target audience.
    "Real music". Man, what a concept. That's a great example of generational thinking (not that that's a value judgement, it's just the way it is).

People fully rioted at the 1913 premiere of Rite of Spring in Paris, because the bitonality was "shocking".

Wagner's contemporaries in Paris almost ubiquitously described his music as lustful, or otherworldly, or tempting - whether it was good or bad though is down to opinion and how socially conservative or liberal you were. Gasperini's response to Tristan and Isolde is basically puritanical - he views the harmony and music as immoral. Would we think that today? Would we view the high range, lack of bass, and descent through alto/tenor to the bass register in the Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin (which was novel exploration of music at the time) as too dangerous or exciting?
    Wagner?  Now there's a proper racist. 
  • Options
    So this Dave character, uses his gangbanger child killing brother on his albums just to help in rehabilitation, and it's nothing to do with bravado. Okay
    Read my post again. In no way am I saying this. You are literally choosing to ignore the wider context I point to, so you can distil what you think I've said into something that looks ridiculous. 

In case my original reply didn't make this clear, and at the risk of incurring BBW's ire again, it's about nuance. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Wagner?  Now there's a proper racist. 
    Nnnooooooooo I was hoping you'd not bring the actual bloody music chat back to race even though I used Wagner as an example
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    So this Dave character, uses his gangbanger child killing brother on his albums just to help in rehabilitation, and it's nothing to do with bravado. Okay
    Read my post again. In no way am I saying this. You are literally choosing to ignore the wider context I point to, so you can distil what you think I've said into something that looks ridiculous. 

In case my original reply didn't make this clear, and at the risk of incurring BBW's ire again, it's about nuance. 
    Again?? I didnt even read it a first time 😉

I weren't necessarily referencing you mate, just your collective side of the debate. I'm not sure what happened with regards to Dave's brother appearing on his album (Was it recorded, or was it done after he was locked up?), but imo, part of a child murderer's rehabilitation should maybe be sitting in a circle playing the maracas, not having the opportunity to record on albums, which ars aimed at the same circles you once murdered in
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I don't think it'll be remembered much going forward, not a classic year at all. No real stand out performances or collaborations this year, shame as it was celebrating 40 years. 

My thoughts: 

Dave, an articulate and creative rap artist, but surely he could have come up with a better performance name! 

Stormzy, I quite like him, he has a bit of humour about him but his performance went on for too long last night.

Lizzo, don't know much about her but she was good last night, energetic performance and funny with her interactions with Jack Whitehall. Same for Harry Styles but WTF was he wearing?! 

Politics have been a part of the Brits for years and now people are moaning because they don't agree with the points being made this time around. Stick around and in a few years time it'll be about something different that you might agree with. Politics and music go hand in hand and always have done. 

Edited as I forgot to mention Celeste, who I have never heard of but has an amazing voice! 

You obviously don't know what D A V E stands for
  • Options
    Wilma said:

My thoughts: 

I have never heard of the fella before last night but going by what's been talked about on this site this week I'm totally scared to Google it! 
  • Options
    and not of course to appeal to all the rebel 13/14 year olds out there who spend money on rubbish 'music' .. still it's a generational thing .. I used to listen to every Dylan song with awe when I was teenager .. I listen to most now and think 'what a load of any old rhyming word will do pretentious tosh' 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

massively overegging a snippet on 1 track.

Wilma said:
    Wilma said:

My thoughts: 

I have never heard of the fella before last night but going by what's been talked about on this site this week I'm totally scared to Google it! 
    It was a dark November night, "Dave" was driving tru his ends when his much despised rival, Stormzy, comes on the radio. Dave looked down to quickly turn over and while doing so, crept over the white line. He looked up and just manages to gain control of the 1.2 souped up 02 plate Honda Civic, in yellow flavour. Unlucky for him, the Fed's were just coming off tbeir donut break and witnessed the whole thing. They gave chase and "Dave" pulled over, without any hesitation. He was questioned thoroughly at the side of the road, and it was there his life of crime, which hasn't gone much further since, started and he was fined £80 for Driving A Vehicle Erratically 

Think it is just best to mute you. Can we do that on here. Never read a poorer attempt at racial stereotyping in my life
  • Options
    I can only assume you've not listened to much of his music mate, he certainly doesn't glamorize the 'road life' like many other artists do.
  • Options
    I can only assume you've not listened to much of his music mate, he certainly doesn't glamorize the 'road life' like many other artists do.
    You assume correctly 
  • Options

Wilma said:
    Wilma said:

My thoughts: 

It was a dark November night, "Dave" was driving tru his ends when his much despised rival, Stormzy, comes on the radio. Dave looked down to quickly turn over and while doing so, crept over the white line. He looked up and just manages to gain control of the 1.2 souped up 02 plate Honda Civic, in yellow flavour. Unlucky for him, the Fed's were just coming off tbeir donut break and witnessed the whole thing. They gave chase and "Dave" pulled over, without any hesitation. He was questioned thoroughly at the side of the road, and it was there his life of crime, which hasn't gone much further since, started and he was fined £80 for Driving A Vehicle Erratically 

Think it is just best to mute you. Can we do that on here. Never read a poorer attempt at racial stereotyping in my life

Where's the *facepalm" gif when you need it?!
  • Options

Wilma said:
    Wilma said:

My thoughts: 

Where's the *facepalm" gif when you need it?!
    👊
  • Options
    Racial stereotyping??? Haha WTF.
  • Options
    Racial stereotyping??? Haha WTF.
    Part of the problem then aren't you.